The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Does anyone actually buy into the AddOn blame game?

• Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    i don't believe that add ons that only affect the UI can have a significant effect on performance, no.

this is a scapegoat and a half
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • todokete
    todokete
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, curse them AddOns and their game breaking thingamajiggers
    This game going to be shutting down their servers before 2020
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Browiseth wrote: »
    i don't believe that add ons that only affect the UI can have a significant effect on performance, no.

Of course not. But not all addons are like that.

The vast majority addons that people are familiar with run entirely locally and generate no server load. UI addons, combat addons, etc.

And it seems like people in this thread are thinking of those types of addons when they evaluate Gina's statement. But those aren't the kinds of addons that ZOS is referring to.

But addons that request data from the server do generate server load. These can range from well-known high-usage addons like MM, which builds its data by periodically requesting sales history from the server, to niche addons like those used by trade guild GMs to track bank deposits.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • psypanda
    psypanda
    ✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    Vapirko wrote: »
    I mean for the most part no. But I’ve youve got master merchant sending queries every few seconds in Cyrodiil and a bunch of out of date addons then yes you’re going to see a performance drop. If you’re smart about minimizing your use of addons and research/test the best ones then it’s probably having minimal to no impact.

pls elaborate how an "outdated addon" impacts performance
    you seem to have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.
    what you call an outdated addon is simply an addon that didnt increase the api version number in the manifest file for the current patch. IF there are changes to the functions provided by the API the addon uses will just break and/or throw an error.
    President of the official Lucina Civello Fanclub
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    code65536 wrote: »
    Browiseth wrote: »

Of course not. But not all addons are like that.

The vast majority addons that people are familiar with run entirely locally and generate no server load. UI addons, combat addons, etc.

And it seems like people in this thread are thinking of those types of addons when they evaluate Gina's statement. But those aren't the kinds of addons that ZOS is referring to.

But addons that request data from the server do generate server load. These can range from well-known high-usage addons like MM, which builds its data by periodically requesting sales history from the server, to niche addons like those used by trade guild GMs to track bank deposits.

@code65536 i have my doubts that even add ons like MM can realistically be blamed for significant performance issues is the thing

i don't think it's unreasonable to think that after 5+ years of changes the game's coding has gotten bloated and inefficient; makes sense, since zos have said they plan to reduce the game's file size to address this as i understand
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • vonScuzzman
    vonScuzzman
    ✭✭✭
    It's easy enough to test; just turn off all the API feeds for a week. ;)
    XBox One NA
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    I play with only 2 add-ons now, inventory insight and dressing room. Still haz probZ
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    It's silly to blame addons; it's the eso framework/api or what you call it, that is the culprit if there is problems with server performance seemingly stemming from addons.
  • Gandrhulf_Harbard
    Gandrhulf_Harbard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    It's easy enough to test; just turn off all the API feeds for a week. ;)

No need to, we can look at X-Box and PS4 to see if Add-Ons are the cause, because they don't have Add-Ons.

Now, as consoles are having such great performance... ...oh, wait...

Yeah, Add-Ons NOT THE CAUSE.

All The Best
    Those memories come back to haunt me, they haunt me like a curse.
    Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse.
  • Haenk
    Haenk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other, you see what happened was ...
    I honestly believe Guild Trader addons put Incredible stress onto their database, probably way more than they expected.
    But - they didn't implement anything the like (which might reduce stress due to direct database access), so it's eventually their fault.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    SirAndy wrote: »
    I'm curious, how many actually believe the official explanation of putting the blame for Sundays mayhem squarely on the back of community provided AddOns?

Not only is it silly, but ZOS would agree. They are not blaming add-ons. If you read what they say, disabling the sales history was the easiest way to get things working but it is not a permanent thing.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Vandril
    Vandril
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    Preface: This is coming from someone who hasn't even felt the effects of any of these problems in the past week. This isn't based on some sort of personal bias due to my being annoyed at ZOS for the problems, because I'm not at all. This is just basic logic.

ZOS is in charge of both the servers and the addon API. It wouldn't matter even if addons alone induced enough server load to cause problems. ZOS can very well:

1) Get better servers. Problem solved.

or

2) Limit addon requests to the server. Problem solved.

Blaming addons for overworking the servers when they fully control the addon API and are fully capable of affording better servers is silly. That would be like blaming the players for causing server stress by playing your game if your servers are suffering overpopulation. It's your fault, game company, not the players'. It's on you to fix it, game company, not the players.

Bottom line: Yes, addons definitely do have a dramatic effect on server performance. No, it's certainly not the players'/addon authors' responsibility to avoid this. The ultimate cause is ZOS not handling their own responsibilities as well as they should.
    Edited by Vandril on August 21, 2019 5:45PM
  • GarnetFire17
    GarnetFire17
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am sure the addons are AN issue, but I don't think its THE ISSUE. So many bugs have been made over the years that have nothing to so with addons. At this point I am sure everyone knows that addons are the convenient excuse.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    I'm just trying to figure out why my Lost Treasure add-on isn't working when I'm not seeing any dependency issues. :(
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    I'm curious, how many actually believe the official explanation of putting the blame for Sundays mayhem squarely on the back of community provided AddOns?

Dude. Thank you for doing this poll. Hopefully the right people see it.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    Technically they do not place the blame squarely on addons but essentially everything that puts a load on the PC.

What their comment really speaks to is their own incompetence with the design and management of this game. They poorly designed this game from the start leading to the pathetic state of this game at launch. While they have made some fixes since then Zos has also increased the load on the servers in other area which has brought us to where we are now. Matt Firor is the architect of this mess as he not only creates the vision of what Zos designs he also signs off on significant changes. I have hoped that some day he would rise to the requirements of his job but that day has not come yet.

Edit: BTW, Addons are part of the design Zos implemented. They ditched the full feature UI they originally designed to allow players to build their own addons. They even asked for the player base to build these addons. So to partially blame the issue in addons directly supports my comments above.
    Edited by idk on August 21, 2019 6:53PM
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So some addons actually do cause lag, MM and TTC both cause latency issues I've tested it
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
  • Ragnork
    Ragnork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    Both servers flip traders at peak time.
    If addon load is contributing to the issue then I would expect to see similar issues in both servers.

PC NA - no issue
    PC EU - falls over

I suspect there is something deeper behind the issue, related to server load and performance; this has in a round about way be acknowledged by ZOS in that they are looking to "optimise" their coding.
    I hope they succeed. This is a great game that deserves to thrive.
    Meanwhile, let us not forget, they are killing it (I believe that is a quote from one of their twitch love-ins)
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    It would be nice if ZOS didn't depend on outside unpaid help to make their game remotely enjoyable, you know? Let's talk about housing permissions and travel. For starters. Let's talk about the MESS that is their guild trader system. Both things that, to be at all enjoyable, REQUIRE add-ons. If not for add-ons I wouldn't be playing this game at all. And I still resent that I need them to begin with.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    Bidding cuts off is an hour before hand, and the flip itself takes like 1-5 mintues. It doesn't mean there aren't ever any bugs, looking at you Outlaw Refuge traders, but that should be enough time for the bid tallies to resolve.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Inklings
    Inklings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    First thing highlighted in the monthly Community Spot light after being told they crashed the EU server is.... You guessed it! ADDONS! So laughable you couldnt make this stuff up.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/56847?utm_content=01 Zenimax Online Studios&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=Community&sf107540035=1
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    Inklings wrote: »
    First thing highlighted in the monthly Community Spot light after being told they crashed the EU server is.... You guessed it! ADDONS! So laughable you couldnt make this stuff up.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/56847?utm_content=01 Zenimax Online Studios&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=Community&sf107540035=1

Right hand, please meet left hand. You should coordinate.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • merevie
    merevie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    Everyone's addon on the whole faction crashed at the exact same moment over 10 times per hour, for several days?
    When half the server cannot play with any and even try offline mode?
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ZOS is in charge of the AddOn API.
    Couldn't they measure AddOn generated traffic?
    Have a detailed analysis of what AddOns do, when and how?
    Have predictions on what kind of traffic to expect by looking at historical usage?
    Throttle AddOn traffic if it starts to impact the game server performance?

Are you asking in earnest... :p
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, curse them AddOns and their game breaking thingamajiggers
    3rd party programs that ZOS doesn't officially develop the game to be compatible with, yeah I can see the logic. The Addon creators need to make sure their stuff works with the game, not the other way around.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Ragnork
    Ragnork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    3rd party programs that ZOS doesn't officially develop the game to be compatible with, yeah I can see the logic. The Addon creators need to make sure their stuff works with the game, not the other way around.

PC EU vs PC NA - why not both servers together?
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They’re not blaming the addons. They’re blaming the server traffic, including that from addons.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    Do addons not affect performance client-side?

If so, ZOS must know this and are just looking to pass the buck.
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    I'm just trying to figure out why my Lost Treasure add-on isn't working when I'm not seeing any dependency issues. :(

@MornaBaine this is happening a lot of people. Just check your filters on the right of your map screen. Maps are likely turned off.
    PC EU - NoCP PvP, is real PvP
    Tiidehunter Nord StamDK EP PvP Main
    Legion Commander Tresdin Stamplar DC PvE Main
    Sephirith Altmer MagPlar EP Gondar the Bounty Hunter Khajiit StamBlade DC
    The Dirge Redguard StamNecro EP Disruptor Stormcrafter Nord StamSorc AD
    Lone Druid Bosmer Stam Warden EP Necro-Phos Argonian MagBlade AD
    @ McAttack in game
    Played since beta, and then on console at release, until the game became unplayable on console.
  • wavingblue
    wavingblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    Marcus684 wrote: »

They’re not blaming the addons. They’re blaming the server traffic, including that from addons.

If that's true and soooooooooo bad.. So bad that it completely trashes their new trader flip code and descends the EU server farm into chaos why not disable BEFORE doing the flip? Disabling right now makes no change to the chaos that is EU. It has not fixed anything. All it does is further hamper all PC players. Add-ons didn't magically add a metric *** ton at peak from Saturday evening 24 hours before trader flip until Sunday evening at the trader flip time. They knew the issue was present and it could be a problem but charged ahead anyways.