The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Does anyone actually buy into the AddOn blame game?

• JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, curse them AddOns and their game breaking thingamajiggers
    Totally buy it. I mean, the deer had been unjustly blamed for The Lag in Cyro for too long. Let's launch witch hunt against commie addonmakers making free addons instead!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    JamilaRaj wrote: »
    Totally buy it. I mean, the deer had been unjustly blamed for The Lag in Cyro for too long.

What makes you think it was unjustified? Certainly was justified, as far as I was able to see.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally buy it. I mean, the deer had been unjustly blamed for The Lag in Cyro for too long.

What makes you think it was unjustified? Certainly was justified, as far as I was able to see.

This. Obviously innocent.
    Brian Wheeler, on the other hand, is very shady. Promising to fix this, investigate that, but years go by and nothing really happens. Pretty dastardly of him to blame Bambi, if you ask me.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    If a few extra NPCs (Them deer) make a measurable difference in the processing times of your AAA MMO game server system, you failed as a developer (Developer as in ZOS, the company).

Simple as that ...
    shades.gif

• Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I buy into the a dozen or more devs with degrees they got in a cereal box faking it til they make it...
  • shaielzafine
    shaielzafine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    SirAndy wrote: »
    If a few extra NPCs (Them deer) make a measurable difference in the processing times of your AAA MMO game server system, you failed as a developer (Developer as in ZOS, the company).

Simple as that ...
    shades.gif

Did removing the deer even help with Cyrodiil? It seems like it's just always been the same performance, only now it's gotten so bad that more and more people are complaining as it also seeps over to pve
  • Lisutaris
    Lisutaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other, you see what happened was ...
    I'm curious, how many actually believe the official explanation of putting the blame for Sundays mayhem squarely on the back of community provided AddOns?

I am using a lot of addons, from GUI to MM/CMX and so on.....
    ....Sorry?
    FewPinkAfricanmolesnake-small.gif
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't have enough technical know how or information to make an informed decision
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If multiple factors add up to performance issues each is equally to blame. So yes, the add-ons contribute, and something can be done about it, but no, it's not the whole story. That said, fix one thing at a time, and don't stop until they're all done.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For the most part no. I know a few addons like master merchant do eat up resources and you should turn them off when you're going to PvP. But the crashing and lag are ZOS fault and the only reason ZOS is blaming addons is because they don't know how to fix the problem.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm curious, how many actually believe the official explanation of putting the blame for Sundays mayhem squarely on the back of community provided AddOns?

Addons have been a problem in the past for ESO.

There's no reason to believe they aren't a problem currently.

Blaming it all on addons is silly. They are likely a contributing factor, but can't be the official cop out by ZOS.

Even if they actually are the primary reason for instability... it's still ZOS' mess regardless.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    Brian Wheeler, on the other hand, is very shady. Promising to fix this, investigate that, but years go by and nothing really happens. Pretty dastardly of him to blame Bambi, if you ask me.

Can't tell if you are serious or not. :/

Simple as that ...
    shades.gif

Hardly that simple. Don't feed into the PHB syndrome that happens here in the forum where if it sounds simple, it is simple.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • todokete
    todokete
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is not very constructive.
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    todokete wrote: »
    This thread is not very constructive.

It serves its purpose, to let ZOS know we aren't buying it.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    To be honest, this whole bidding fiesta should be around O(nlogn) at best. U know, sort bids o(nlogn), chose highest, give trader+refund for bids+remove bids for that trader from the list o(n) repeat for the amount of traders (less than 100). I have literally. No. Idea. How. Do u. F***. This. Up.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    I don't use addons and crashed same as everyone else .
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    It can be addons. Do they mean people using addons make the lag?

Because i do not use any addons.

So do i get lag from others querying data on server?

- If not, it's not addons.
    - If so, i can blame all of you for my lag :D
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • randomkeyhits
    randomkeyhits
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe add-ons were the tipping point, maybe not.

As to blaming them? Absolutely 100% not to blame.

Servers are monitored to the hilt. CPU, memory, disk i/o, net i/o, thermals, these are only the tip of the iceberg. There are soooooo many things you can track about a servers health.

There are many, many tools for doing the monitoring and pretty much all give nice graphs showing stuff over time and the trends. They all tell you all you need to know about how close you are to your margins being consumed and whether you are in the danger zone or not. I've never come across even half way professional outfits who didn't do at least the basics.

So, if ZOS are professional then they had all the data and ignored it which is purely a management thing, pushing profits over a fit for purpose service too far. Damn because there is no hope.

If they are not professional and not doing this well..... shoot. What can you say about that?

@ZOS if its any help some of the industry leading monitoring software is open source and its actually really easy to set up and configure. Take a look, it costs the amount you seem to like the most.

EU PS4
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    ThePedge wrote: »
    Turned all but 4 add-ons off last night and didn't crash after that.

However they were never an issue before so don't know why they would suddenly be this big an issue.

Simple answer to that is ZoS changed how server handle calls from clients (add on), which is probably related to save money as less traffic would mean more money for less investment (or cost).

//RexyCat
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭

Not only is it silly, but ZOS would agree. They are not blaming add-ons. If you read what they say, disabling the sales history was the easiest way to get things working but it is not a permanent thing.

There have been a lack of tools for handling Guilds with 500 members in an efficient way for GM from start of this game. Not everything have to do with Trading or Guild Traders. When ZoS decided to add a Guild Finder didn't that also add to load on servers? After all it is something that ZoS designed in house and it also need to pull data to get that information from a server.

//RexyCat
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    Can't tell if you are serious or not. :/
    Simple as that ...
    shades.gif
    Hardly that simple. Don't feed into the PHB syndrome that happens here in the forum where if it sounds simple, it is simple.

I've managed dev teams (and actively participated in the development of) building server systems, both for gaming and high traffic, big data commercial systems.
    We've built systems with far more traffic, clients and data then what ZOS has ever seen and we always managed to keep our response times below 15ms for the server processing portion (that's without the network overhead of getting data to and from the client).
    The most recent system handles hundreds of thousands concurrent (!) clients and hundreds of millions of datapoints and the average server processing time is less than 10ms.

Again, if a few deer are slowing down your servers, the problem is most certainly with your server implementation ...
    type.gif

• wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    I'm just trying to figure out why my Lost Treasure add-on isn't working when I'm not seeing any dependency issues. :(

@MornaBaine this is happening a lot of people. Just check your filters on the right of your map screen. Maps are likely turned off.

The author of Lost Treasure commented on Minion that they will up-date it in September as they are on vacation atm.
    So, I'm just gonna hold on for a couple weeks... :)
    Huzzah!
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    I'm just trying to figure out why my Lost Treasure add-on isn't working when I'm not seeing any dependency issues. :(

@MornaBaine this is happening a lot of people. Just check your filters on the right of your map screen. Maps are likely turned off.

The author of Lost Treasure commented on Minion that they will up-date it in September as they are on vacation atm.
    So, I'm just gonna hold on for a couple weeks... :)
    Huzzah!

Lost Treasura are working, if you follow a fix that can be found in commentary section for that add on. You only have too replace a couple commands in one file as described in that place.