The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does anyone actually buy into the AddOn blame game?

SirAndy
SirAndy
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm curious, how many actually believe the official explanation of putting the blame for Sundays mayhem squarely on the back of community provided AddOns?

Does anyone actually buy into the AddOn blame game? 369 votes

Yes, curse them AddOns and their game breaking thingamajiggers
9%
Alendrinalainjbrennanb16_ESOp_tsakirisb16_ESOdennissomb16_ESODarkheartJamilaRajcrazmadscimagictucktuckZombabe1Rex-UmbraZer0_CooLSanctum74BeardimusMyNameIsEliasArchMikemNyladreasJahneeORaddlemanNumber7TyharBobby_V_Rockit 35 votes
No, that's just silly
81%
atlgirl29_ESOSirAndydriosketchfastolfv_ESOSolarikenwayfarerxvailjohn_ESOMoloch1514darthgummibear_ESOSuddwrathcalitrumanb14_ESOInklingsSteveCampsOutJahoelSincero580b14_ESOwenchmore420b14_ESOWuffyCeruleixaraanFWSWBNxMovingTarget 302 votes
Other, you see what happened was ...
8%
Casterialrfennell_ESOBigBraggThorntongueAnimal_Motheranitajoneb17_ESOstarlizard70ub17_ESOSkworTERAB1Tjircris11AsysCaffeinatedMayhemHaenkAlnilamEpod88kkWollustBananarandomkeyhitsGarnetFire17LadyHeloise 31 votes
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    I mean for the most part no. But I’ve youve got master merchant sending queries every few seconds in Cyrodiil and a bunch of out of date addons then yes you’re going to see a performance drop. If you’re smart about minimizing your use of addons and research/test the best ones then it’s probably having minimal to no impact.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doubt
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They didn’t blame addons. They blamed the surge in server load at the time, which includes queries by addons.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    Vapirko wrote: »
    I mean for the most part no. But I’ve youve got master merchant sending queries every few seconds in Cyrodiil and a bunch of out of date addons then yes you’re going to see a performance drop. If you’re smart about minimizing your use of addons and research/test the best ones then it’s probably having minimal to no impact.

ZOS is in charge of the AddOn API.
    Couldn't they measure AddOn generated traffic?
    Have a detailed analysis of what AddOns do, when and how?
    Have predictions on what kind of traffic to expect by looking at historical usage?
    Throttle AddOn traffic if it starts to impact the game server performance?

Heck, they could even implement dedicated servers just for serving AddOn traffic.
    popcorn.gif

Edited by SirAndy on August 21, 2019 1:33AM
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    Nah im not that gullible anymore
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    People were using add-ons before this new feature without borking up the trading system and server stability. What was added to the mix was a shoddily-coded feature. So, yep, it's Master Merchant's fault obviously. Duh.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    If its not addons, it has to be our connexions right?

Zos way to avoid taking its responsibility
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    Performance is just as bad on console and we don't have addons soooooooo
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    It's refreshing to see an actual poll for once.

After the last 10 being biased towards the OP without any meaningful choices ...
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you'd read Gina's statement it was addons *hitting the server* so no, we're not blaming individual compueter setups.
  • Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    Evidence: NA server went smooth. Same addons, even more population and more requests? Cannot be it.

Gina <3 it's not your fault, we get you are just following orders.
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    They blame addons, but fail to realize that even if it was the addons, they're the ones that coded the API for the addons to request queries that fast. This is why we need developer transparency. THEY need to come here and tell us what happened. Not Gina. But will they? Probably not.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    TIL PC/NA players don't use add-ons.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The ones who try to avoid problems don’t. Most of the bugs I experience in this game I can trace back to addons, especially outdated ones.
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So, as a console player, I can look forward to September 1st first multi-bid Sunday being smooth as butter, then? Since I have no terrible add-ons to bother the server?

Might better power-cycle my modem that morning, just in case.

/sarcasm
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    Cously wrote: »
    Evidence: NA server went smooth. Same addons, even more population and more requests? Cannot be it.

Edit: disregard, I'm a moron :D

The population online was probably higher on PC-EU. The bidding goes on either near or during prime time, while most of the (specifically) North American population is still offline-- probably asleep :D

Since I play at those weird transition hours, I've seen how performance changes, especially since the last patch. About 3AM PDT, there's little skill firing lag, but come 6 or 7 AM, the delays increase significantly. What was once a sporadic (four times per half hour or so) glitch happens in about half of the encounters I initiate with mobs.
    Edited by jainiadral on August 21, 2019 2:31AM
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    So, as a console player, I can look forward to September 1st first multi-bid Sunday being smooth as butter, then? Since I have no terrible add-ons to bother the server?

Might better power-cycle my modem that morning, just in case.

/sarcasm

I'd also get Fiber internets just to be safe. :D
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    jainiadral wrote: »
    The population online was probably higher on PC-EU. The bidding goes on either near or during prime time, while most of the (specifically) North American population is still offline-- probably asleep :D
    Since I play at those weird transition hours, I've seen how performance changes, especially since the last patch. About 3AM PDT, there's little skill firing lag, but come 6 or 7 AM, the delays increase significantly. What was once a sporadic (four times per half hour or so) glitch happens in about half of the encounters I initiate with mobs.

PC/NA Trader change is Sunday afternoon. While i do appreciate a little afternoon nap just as much as the next guy, i don't think claiming that most of the NA population was asleep is going to explain this one.
    shades.gif
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    SirAndy wrote: »

PC/NA Trader change is Sunday afternoon. While i do appreciate a little afternoon nap just as much as the next guy, i don't think claiming that most of the NA population was asleep is going to explain this one.
    shades.gif

Hunh. I always thought bidding happened at ungodly hours of the AM, 5:30 or so.
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’m actually seeing what feels like several different times bandied about. Is it not the same time per each time zone?

Example: PS4 NA. I am East Coast USA. Trader flip on Sunday is 9pm Eastern (changing to 8pm when Daylight Savings change hits). Which is 6pm Pacific. So, for North America it hits anywhere from early evening to early night depending on your time zone.

What is it for everyone else?
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    Marcus684 wrote: »

The ones who try to avoid problems don’t. Most of the bugs I experience in this game I can trace back to addons, especially outdated ones.

I currently have 109 items in my AddOns folder (a lot of these are libraries and sales/map data, but we're still looking at 50+ active add-ons). Haven't had any issues. I'd have more issues if I didn't use add-ons to fix the lack of basic QOL functions in this game.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on August 21, 2019 2:20AM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    I’m actually seeing what feels like several different times bandied about. Is it not the same time per each time zone?
    Example: PS4 NA. I am East Coast USA. Trader flip on Sunday is 9pm Eastern (changing to 8pm when Daylight Savings change hits). Which is 6pm Pacific. So, for North America it hits anywhere from early evening to early night depending on your time zone.

I should have clarified, i'm on Pacific Time and it is 5pm on Sundays for me right now ...
    smile.gif

Edited by SirAndy on August 21, 2019 2:20AM
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe they compound issues that already exist to some degree. How much I have no idea. Clearly with the roadmap laid out, and with consoles also suffering, there is evidence that discredits add-ons being soley to blame.
  • sylviermoone
    sylviermoone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly

shades.gif

It used to happen at ungodly hours of the morning, but now it happens on Sunday evening. 9PM Eastern, 8 PM Eastern during fall/winter.
    Co-GM, Angry Unicorn Traders: PC/NA
    "Official" Master Merchant Tech Support
    and Differently Geared AF
    @sylviermoone
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just silly

This is correct. It definitely happens during prime time on NA servers.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on August 21, 2019 2:23AM
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

shades.gif

Trader flip times:
    • 0100 UTC Mon for PC/NA
    • 1900 UTC Sun for PC/EU

During the summer, that translates to 9 PM EDT for PC/NA and 9 PM CEST for PC/EU. Basically, it's the same local time--9 in the evening--for the largest time zone on each server. (In the winter, it's 8 PM due to the lack of Daylight Savings.)
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, that's just silly

Honestly, I have no idea :D I'm on PC-NA, and in my old trading guild, the GM would be online, placing bids around 5AM. Or at least talking about it. I've read a lot of trading threads with GMs complaining about getting up at 5AM to make sure their bids were in. For all I know, my old GM was an Aussie getting ready to log off and the early risers were on the EU server, so...

Will be glad to add an "disregard, I'm a moron" note to my post if anyone can tell me how this stuff officially works :D

Adding: should have refreshed a few times before posting lol
    Edited by jainiadral on August 21, 2019 2:28AM
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, I have no idea :D I'm on PC-NA, and in my old trading guild, the GM would be online, placing bids around 5AM. Or at least talking about it. I've read a lot of trading threads with GMs complaining about getting up at 5AM to make sure their bids were in. For all I know, my old GM was an Aussie getting ready to log off and the early risers were on the EU server, so...

Will be glad to add an "disregard, I'm a moron" note to my post if anyone can tell me how this stuff officially works :D

Well, early morning trader flips were a thing once upon a time. That was years ago, though.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, that's just silly
    code65536 wrote: »

shades.gif

Trader flip times:
    • 0100 UTC Mon for PC/NA
    • 1900 UTC Sun for PC/EU

During the summer, that translates to 9 PM EDT for PC/NA and 9 PM CEST for PC/EU. Basically, it's the same local time--9 in the evening--for the largest time zone on each server. (In the winter, it's 8 PM due to the lack of Daylight Savings.)

Awesome, thanks all!
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine been fine in pve and i run probably a dozen addons including master merchant. But i dont pvp.