Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

MagBlade Theorycrafting Changes Thread

• GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will say though i honestly kinda like the heal on mercy now. In duels I front bar my shield so I can keep it up easier and keep pressure with swallow weaves. Having both those and swallow on front bar alot of times I only had to bar bar to rebuff. I mean it's no minor berserk but it actually kept me alive a few times last night.
    Options
  • jimijac0me
    jimijac0me
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah merciless defensively has always been strong, I can’t find the bar space to run a shield front bar or I’d run Marauder’s set this patch, really liked the idea of that set :(
    Guild Leader Rats of Tobruk (RoT) DC PVP Guild
    Jacome Enakis (DC NB)
    Jacome Dibella (DC Sorc)
    Tealc Enakis (DC DK)
    Jacome Lightbringer (DC Templar)
    Jacome Gro-Longenfirm (DC Sorc)
    Baron Humbert Von Gikken (DC Warden)
    Options
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shield on front bar is pretty easy to do in duels just swap it ad cripple really. Last night my bars were dampen, mercy, ele, swallow, clench, sh. Then dark cloak, siphon, shade, rat, cripple, life giver.

The only think I kinda consider doing. Is dropping cripple throwing shield back bar and slotting lotus, but idk I had that build last night and that's what I stuck with. I won probably 1/2 the duels but I kinda suck and there were some big pcna hitters in stormhaven last night. I did go to the test dummy afterwards and try that burst how it would work in theory and I was getting mercy crits of like 45k on the 3m dummy
    Edited by GhostofDatthaw on October 22, 2019 11:00AM
    Options
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk about that set for duels but for openworld it might be ok for your sustain set, run it with necro for a bigger shield and maybe even mage since that has 2 recov passives
    Options
  • jimijac0me
    jimijac0me
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah I never build for duels, was considering it with NMA but gunna stick with NMA body/BS/Spinners FB/BRP resto back, gotta max the dmg or we hit too soft and can get comfy regen with that combo
    Jacome Enakis (DC NB)
    Jacome Dibella (DC Sorc)
    Tealc Enakis (DC DK)
    Options
  • jimijac0me
    jimijac0me
    ✭✭✭
    Using Ghastly food health is only 21kish but 4k is not going to make a big difference when evasion is your defense
    Jacome Enakis (DC NB)
    Jacome Dibella (DC Sorc)
    Tealc Enakis (DC DK)
    Options
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I've dropped spinners for now. I find it less damage if I am building Shields that max mag can be very underestimated. I'm in btb necro bs and it's working ok, I have a 40% uptime on bs for duels so I almost want to try some other defensive sets but will probably not find better. My problem with brp resto atm is it's linked to spinners or another 1 bar like spell strat or what have you. And it leaves you with bar space problems. You can't rely on just the shield for heals so you need to slot shadowy which is frowned upon in duels or protect it with dampen. You protect it with dampen then how do you keep your ward passives proced? You could technically do it with fear but that imo is a wasted skill in duels because it lacks damage, you can sneak a clench in easy now with the animation looking similar to light attacks and land that quick bow behind it.

So it comes down to how do you keep your ward passives up I started rambling. With brp I've found bar space problems that lead to a bad balance between healing defense and damage. As far as duels and places like ic it's easier to get by not using ward at all and using dark cloak. That way I can keep clench as my stun, keep close to 100% uptime on wards from passives because I know I'm not perfect. Imo brp resto clogs barspace too much
    Options
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you’re looking for an alternative to bloodspawn Iceheart is a good one.

I’ve been liking crit and the shadow mundus, so I think it might depend on your build. Building for more crit increases the value of Iceheart and force pulse so you have to change up a lot of gear and your playstyle.

I’ve noticed the same thing about Bloodspawn. The uptime isn’t great as a magblade, but even then if you drop bloodspawn stamina regen pops up as an issue.

Woodelf is a good option. I made my sorc a woodelf and it lets you pile all into mag with your gear. It’s like getting amber plasm from your race. I’m not sure if it’s the best choice, I’m thinking altmer would have been the best for the offstat sustain.
    Edited by Iskiab on October 22, 2019 12:20PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    PRX and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
    Options
  • HEBREWHAMMERRR
    HEBREWHAMMERRR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Admittedly, hardly played the game this patch. ESO got kind of stale and BL3 is a blast. Hopped on this weekend, didn’t have a game under 1mil damage and 250k healing. 5 crafty Alfiq, 5 lich, BRP resto and Skoria. Heavy dot build with double healing drain poisons front bar, +9% healing back bar. Been rolling over people in BGs and single handedly carrying teams. Just have to know when to cloak away, when to get aggressive and when to defensively put up a heal. Other than that stack dots, watch the skorias rain down and time up that burst 👍🏻

Why would you run crafty over necro? Do you not use shade? I've also gone back to a more max mag based build on my argonian having a decent damage shield is the only way to survive outside of cloak spam. With my woodelf I'm still build around steed and Regen with high movement speed. I run both builds and the max mag is definitely better for standing and fighting. On my woodelf I have to constantly cloak image and roll around otherwise I get mollywhomped without a damage shield.

No shade. No shields aside from Ward to proc BRP resto. Insane sustain, great healing, solid burst when timed with Skoria proc. 1.3 mil damage and 550k healing in my one BG I did last night. Lol
    Options
  • HEBREWHAMMERRR
    HEBREWHAMMERRR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk magblade seems like it’s in a good spot, not quite on par with magplar but I’m leading damage every BG and as far as off heals I’m typically top for that as well. I have many people messaging me asking how tf I’m healing so much on magblade thinking I’m running refreshing path or something. Just resto ultis for team support and rapid regen for a rolling hot when I get focused to throw up a ward and top off, fear, cloak, reset when they get annoyed at chasing me.
    Options
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk how y'all manage to get by with just ward unless you're using shadowy.
    Iskiab wrote: »
    If you’re looking for an alternative to bloodspawn Iceheart is a good one.

I’ve been liking crit and the shadow mundus, so I think it might depend on your build. Building for more crit increases the value of Iceheart and force pulse so you have to change up a lot of gear and your playstyle.

I’ve noticed the same thing about Bloodspawn. The uptime isn’t great as a magblade, but even then if you drop bloodspawn stamina regen pops up as an issue.

Woodelf is a good option. I made my sorc a woodelf and it lets you pile all into mag with your gear. It’s like getting amber plasm from your race. I’m not sure if it’s the best choice, I’m thinking altmer would have been the best for the offstat sustain.

Yeah I have a woodelf magnb now that runs that high regen style. He is the one that tries to survive with just ward and once I get caught that's it... But this is all cp duels and IC it's where the bulk of my time is, I should start playing some bgs but I'm so used to cp
    Options
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Admittedly, hardly played the game this patch. ESO got kind of stale and BL3 is a blast. Hopped on this weekend, didn’t have a game under 1mil damage and 250k healing. 5 crafty Alfiq, 5 lich, BRP resto and Skoria. Heavy dot build with double healing drain poisons front bar, +9% healing back bar. Been rolling over people in BGs and single handedly carrying teams. Just have to know when to cloak away, when to get aggressive and when to defensively put up a heal. Other than that stack dots, watch the skorias rain down and time up that burst 👍🏻

Why would you run crafty over necro? Do you not use shade? I've also gone back to a more max mag based build on my argonian having a decent damage shield is the only way to survive outside of cloak spam. With my woodelf I'm still build around steed and Regen with high movement speed. I run both builds and the max mag is definitely better for standing and fighting. On my woodelf I have to constantly cloak image and roll around otherwise I get mollywhomped without a damage shield.

No shade. No shields aside from Ward to proc BRP resto. Insane sustain, great healing, solid burst when timed with Skoria proc. 1.3 mil damage and 550k healing in my one BG I did last night. Lol
    Thats a solid score. What is your bar setup?
    Options
  • HEBREWHAMMERRR
    HEBREWHAMMERRR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »

Front bar - entropy, mass hysteria, inner light, swallow soul, spectral bow

Back bar - debilitate, healing ward, cloak, rapid regen, siphoning attacks
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah I've dropped spinners for now. I find it less damage if I am building Shields that max mag can be very underestimated.
    Bastion CP is not affecting tooltips. Can you check whether that's only a display bug or whether actual shield size is affected?
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
    Options
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    Yeah I've dropped spinners for now. I find it less damage if I am building Shields that max mag can be very underestimated.
    Bastion CP is not affecting tooltips. Can you check whether that's only a display bug or whether actual shield size is affected?

Interesting yeah bastion seems bugged. I went from my usual 56% which should give 20% more shield. Dropped it to 0 and got same size shield....

Edit ok I realized I was doing it in pve land and capped it does just seem to be the TT is bugged not the size.
    Edited by GhostofDatthaw on October 22, 2019 2:09PM
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Interesting yeah bastion seems bugged. I went from my usual 56% which should give 20% more shield. Dropped it to 0 and got same size shield....

Edit ok I realized I was doing it in pve land and capped it does just seem to be the TT is bugged not the size.
    TT is bugged in CP Cyro. Healing Ward too. Duelling is with CP and will be affected. Question remains: Is it just the TT or the actual shield? Sorry, I have no time to test myself ATM.

A more general question: If Bastion is bugged, what else is bugged that you can't readily quantify, such as Hardy, Ele Defender, Ironclad and so on. Sorry, for bringing this up here, except as a nightblade a Bastion bug would hit us hard.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    Options
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

TT is bugged in CP Cyro. Healing Ward too. Duelling is with CP and will be affected. Question remains: Is it just the TT or the actual shield? Sorry, I have no time to test myself ATM.

A more general question: If Bastion is bugged, what else is bugged that you can't readily quantify, such as Hardy, Ele Defender, Ironclad and so on. Sorry, for bringing this up here, except as a nightblade a Bastion bug would hit us hard.

I posted in general and got a zos response saying it's just the TT
    Options
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Certainly impressive healing numbers for just rapid regen + resto ult. Also, how do you feel healing ward compares to ward ally? I personally use ward ally for 100% guarantee I get the shield and for support on group mates with blackrose resto. I haven't tested the new heal ward since I assumed it was trash on a brawler kind of build, which is how I play magblade. What is your experience?
    Options
  • HEBREWHAMMERRR
    HEBREWHAMMERRR
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly impressive healing numbers for just rapid regen + resto ult. Also, how do you feel healing ward compares to ward ally? I personally use ward ally for 100% guarantee I get the shield and for support on group mates with blackrose resto. I haven't tested the new heal ward since I assumed it was trash on a brawler kind of build, which is how I play magblade. What is your experience?

I’ve pretty much only played brawler until this patch so its a lot different than what I was used to. I will say ward still seems really reliable when I need it, don’t seem to get many stolen, plus I throw it on friendlies like a healer when they’re getting focused to help them out and give me time to dot up enemies, reset cloak and then apply pressure again when Skoria comes down. Idk I just feel a lot more in control this patch being able to make enemies play how I want and can reset fights whenever I need while still having the sustain to keep myself and teammates alive. Haven’t played cyrodill in a looong time but guessing this would be a solid small group play build too, not many buffs though, maybe would swap lich for trans.
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

My Healing Ward with a less than 3K tooltip on a low-stat build has crit for up to 5K with Blackrose resto in CP IC. It will crit for about 4.2K in repeatable tests at around 30% health. The problem with it is that, when you get hit, it's still only a small shield and tends to get consumed without healing. To get the ideal numbers basically means you successfully cloaked or shaded.
    Options
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

My Healing Ward with a less than 3K tooltip on a low-stat build has crit for up to 5K with Blackrose resto in CP IC. It will crit for about 4.2K in repeatable tests at around 30% health. The problem with it is that, when you get hit, it's still only a small shield and tends to get consumed without healing. To get the ideal numbers basically means you successfully cloaked or shaded.

Wait, you mean the hot attached to the shield size correct? I didn’t think Healing ward could crit.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    Options
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭

Wait, you mean the hot attached to the shield size correct? I didn’t think Healing ward could crit.

it can crit, they changed it in scale or elsweyr i think.
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The HOT, correct.

Also I was using a Powered Blackrose resto at the time. I've switched to Nirn. Slightly less heals, but slightly bigger shield.
    Options
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So as far as duels go magnb damage feels good, just need to line it up. We're still squishy. Only problem I really have with the way we perform with duels is procing shadow barrier. With bar space, and the nature of magnb in duels you want to be very offensive, quick barswap shield hot back to swallow weaving. Bis hot right now is Regen to stack under Shields. Dark cloak is just weak even with the damage reduction, the hot it's self is not strong enough to pull you out of execute fast. I'm also stuck with it being the only way to have decent uptime on shadow barrier. Unless you're a melee magnb then there is no skill to "spam" to keep that passive up every 7s. I'm not using shade every 7s. Clench in duels is superior imo so I don't get it by fear. It kinda pigeon holes ranged a little but this is only from 2 days of testing.
    Options
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Think the new maurader + Alfiq + ? with a 2 hander would work well? Concealed has the cheap cost and stun when you combine it with Shadowy Disguise.

Or should I say, what sets would you try if you wanted to try maurader + 2H (Onslaught) + Concealed? No one seems to like 2 handers but me and I want to see if my no-CP build can be adapted to CP. Should be a proc set I think so the BRP resto is an option.
    Edited by Iskiab on October 23, 2019 12:11AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    Options
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I play exclusively no CP. CP is a massive carry and in my opinion a lot more boring, so I focus all my builds towards no CP and BGs. As for the bolded part in your argument, this is what I figured what would happen. I always play with dark cloak so I felt I cannot make the most out of that healing.

As for dark cloak, I understand the critique towards it, and can see why people opt for shadowy disguise, but I personally hate the cloakspam playstyle. With cloak you don't have to think as much about your positioning, which makes you lazy. I used to play exclusively stamblade back in the day, and boy was it a rude awakening to actually have to learn positioning when playing other classes. Also with dark cloak I feel I am more able to stay with the group in a brawl without having to pop out and leaving my team with 3 man. What many cloakers don't realize is that even when you cloak and do not run away, the enemy only sees your 3 teammates and they will receive more focus from the enemy team as a result. The healing from dark cloak isn't the best but its decent when stacked with other hots like refreshing path, swallow soul, siphoning strikes, etc. I can definately feel an increase in sturdyness.
    Options
  • ExistingRug61
    ExistingRug61
    ✭✭✭✭
    Think the new maurader + Alfiq + ? with a 2 hander would work well? Concealed has the cheap cost and stun when you combine it with Shadowy Disguise.

Or should I say, what sets would you try if you wanted to try maurader + 2H (Onslaught) + Concealed? No one seems to like 2 handers but me and I want to see if my no-CP build can be adapted to CP. Should be a proc set I think so the BRP resto is an option.

One random thing that might be useful is checking if hardening (shield) glyphs proc marauder. I know it says "whenever you use a damage shield ability" but so does infernal guardian and hardening glyphs proc that (or at least they used to last time I tried, although only with direct weapon damage abilities and LA/HA I think).
    If it does then you get basically free full uptime on the speed just by light attacking, but may not be worth losing a damage enchant and you may be casting a shield frequently enough anyway.
    Options
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

One random thing that might be useful is checking if hardening (shield) glyphs proc marauder. I know it says "whenever you use a damage shield ability" but so does infernal guardian and hardening glyphs proc that (or at least they used to last time I tried, although only with direct weapon damage abilities and LA/HA I think).
    If it does then you get basically free full uptime on the speed just by light attacking, but may not be worth losing a damage enchant and you may be casting a shield frequently enough anyway.

What about the damage shield provided through the Psijic passive for blocking?
    Options
  • ExistingRug61
    ExistingRug61
    ✭✭✭✭

What about the damage shield provided through the Psijic passive for blocking?

Not sure, I only looked into this in pre-Psijic days. Would be worth checking though. (I can't - xbox means I don't have the update yet)

[Edit: Removed bit about sets etc not procc'ing infernal as while some don't work, according to other threads some sets do so it looks a bit inconsistent. Didn't want to leave potential mis-information]
    Edited by ExistingRug61 on October 24, 2019 11:50PM
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I play exclusively no CP. CP is a massive carry and in my opinion a lot more boring, so I focus all my builds towards no CP and BGs. As for the bolded part in your argument, this is what I figured what would happen. I always play with dark cloak so I felt I cannot make the most out of that healing.

As for dark cloak, I understand the critique towards it, and can see why people opt for shadowy disguise, but I personally hate the cloakspam playstyle. With cloak you don't have to think as much about your positioning, which makes you lazy. I used to play exclusively stamblade back in the day, and boy was it a rude awakening to actually have to learn positioning when playing other classes. Also with dark cloak I feel I am more able to stay with the group in a brawl without having to pop out and leaving my team with 3 man. What many cloakers don't realize is that even when you cloak and do not run away, the enemy only sees your 3 teammates and they will receive more focus from the enemy team as a result. The healing from dark cloak isn't the best but its decent when stacked with other hots like refreshing path, swallow soul, siphoning strikes, etc. I can definately feel an increase in sturdyness.
    I agree with most of this, but it's not as revelatory as you perhaps think. I play a perma-cloaking nightblade in CP and am keenly aware that my partner(s) take the aggro most of the time. There are a few things you can do, such as throwing some healing wards. Mostly I try to become better at cutting my downtime and staying in the game. My approach is not to be tanky. I really cannot stay in a brawl for long, but am compensating somewhat with high stamina sustain, e.g. dodge rolls.

The thing about positioning is very true, but is also the main reason why I play nightblade. I'm neither fond of the shade nor (even this patch) Merciless Resolve. Cloak is the attraction, the thing that makes NB different for me. If I wanted to play without it, I'd play one of my other characters. While Cloak might make you lazy, that doesn't mean you have to be. You can't really do away with positioning, if you want to stretch yourself as a nightblade.

Your assertion that CP is a massive carry is the one thing that I find flat out incorrect, at least as it pertains to my own build. It actually performs better in no CP. I just find it different. Players may be less tanky overall, but because of the lower damage I find the average 1v1 time actually a bit longer. It's harder to heal and harder to sustain and this is conducive to fights having an outcome, rather than stalemating. If that's what you mean by it being less boring, then I agree with that part. At any rate, as a squishy sustain build and, well, a proc build, no CP actually suits me a great deal, yet I still play CP most of the time. I've historically played a lot in IC. I would like to play in Cyro more, but am quite intolerant of lag. My continued preference for CP has a lot to do with that, as it's just the better option for (solo) farming, in IC, when there's a lull in PvP.
    Options