Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MagBlade Theorycrafting Changes Thread

• GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a couple videos of how I play now but I mainly use them to watch and see how I *** up, I'll try to figure out how to post one
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    Iskiab wrote: »
    When you find something OP it’s always dumb to share, but it’s also a cool fun toy you want to show off too.
    Don't worry. If there's one thing I've learnt from sharing my build, it's that no one pays any attention. The number of people who might copy your build is strictly proportional to your YouTube followers only ;). Certainly looks interesting, though.

You’re probably right, though I will say I’ve played against Dottz and he’s really good. No hype there, easily one of the best players I’ve seen.

Next thing I’m working on is a MagDK with DW BRP and jorvlunds using quick cloak. Details aren’t down but it’ll be a beast.
    Edited by Iskiab on September 21, 2019 11:38AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @HaruKamui do you feel the enchants from torugs gives you better burst or at least pressure even though you *lack some* buff from more magic?. I'm having a really hard time dealing with some specs. Don't don't kill me but I seem to only dent them. I have a funny 1v1 in cyro recorded I want to figure out how to link
    Edited by GhostofDatthaw on September 22, 2019 6:55AM
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JvRaHrLkTY

here is a link to a funny stamdk fight i ran into, i ended up making a youtube account and uploading a few videos on it if anyone cares to check them out, I dont end up the victorious 1vX idol, i show everything to the full death, i dont really like the cherry picked i killed 4 potato videos. i have been playing for a long time, dueled in legend for a while, and over time cae to the realization. i am a decent player on my best days, im uniquely ordinary, i have my moments when i screw up, double cast, kite to a stupid area, or many other dumb decison, but what ever its a game

Keep in mind this is using my current build with spinners and atro, not Amber and steed. I need the transmutes and some gold so I can gold out my jewels.

Funny thing is from like 25 seconds to like 45 or so watch my mercy bar it totally bugs somehow
    Edited by GhostofDatthaw on September 21, 2019 4:47PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Same, I think I’m a good player with lots of experience. In games like Rift I was the highest parsing rogue in the game but I’m old now and am not very good at dps in this game. I see videos of better players and so know what being really good looks like.

I basicly crutch on finding OP combinations for an advantage to play at the top end against better players on an even footing. If it wasn’t for doing testing and an astronomical IQ I’d be stuck in the middle tiers.
    Edited by Iskiab on September 21, 2019 3:05PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it wasn’t for doing testing and an astronomical IQ I’d be stuck in the middle tiers.

:D
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Beoulve/Howl Kimchi
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    If not in full damage gear, cant kill without merciless. Nowhere near enough burst. Soul tether is proving dangerous but still have trouble managing stamina in melee range. Go in for a kill eat a cc, no good.
    So Meteor is my go to ulti. Just ridiculous damage atm, with minimal effort, and fear is still 5 seconds, just takes a while to build up. Caluurion and force pulse crits still hitting for 90% of health on nontanks -- yet indeed impale is unpredictable.

Without cloak or purge dots wreck in outnumbered situations, but more so than Templars stamina sorcs are my hard counter this patch. Their speed and resource management is stronger though damage i admit about the same. Onslaught and hurricane are to be avoided at all costs.
    Edited by Metemsycosis on September 21, 2019 8:18PM
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone running Vampire? I ran it many patches ago but I'm interested in that 10% extra recovery for a build I'm looking into.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, I run vampire. Works well, not many MagDKs or fire damage these days. Biggest issue is vicious death.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dropped vampire with every Stam spec including magplars were rocking dbos. Now though with the rise of onslaught it might be worth running again.

I've had alot of time to play and strange sleeping patterns due to an injury and Valium. But I was thinking about a bit of a delayed gank type if that makes any sense. So has anyone run moonhunter/calu/balog? I mean it's probably totally stat poor but for some reason I feel of you can light attack, cloak, soul harvest, then weave whatever or just impale away

Edit, on and from my brief use with reapers I have found with lag, cast time ult, and dodge rolling bows, you very very rarely take advantage of the berserk. I think ele drain is the best with cripple still. But as always it was works for my play style, might not be the same for everyone.
    Edited by GhostofDatthaw on September 22, 2019 1:48PM
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i am a decent player on my best days, im uniquely ordinary, i have my moments when i screw up, double cast, kite to a stupid area, or many other dumb decison, but what ever its a game

Too many people think that this GAME, is somehow a reflection of personal SKILLZ or some inner mental or reflex superiority. So much of it is having good ping, a good build, and honestly some luck. Now don't get me wrong, there is a decent amount of situational awareness and decision making involved, and practice helps like anything. But I've encountered so many people who take every individual 0 hp state like it was some ultimate judgement on a persons self worth or value. I turned kill count off and just try and have fun and see what I can get away with, tag sorcs with stuns on the back line, gank a guy standing on the front porch of a keep or outpost in the middle of a group and all the guards. Go after that 50k hp tank and see if they panic. Well, that last one only if I don't recognize them.

On my magblade side, I have gone back to to swift and steed. Even then I've run into some the usual fast players who are stocked up on detect pots. But hey, it's all part of the game. I think Cyrodiil needs a massive revamp but I doubt the resources will be there to do it. They put the Hammer in which is in itself not a completely well thought out mechanic and really needs some work but there has been nothing since. That's disappointing.
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone running Vampire? I ran it many patches ago but I'm interested in that 10% extra recovery for a build I'm looking into.

I do, its not as bad as it was. Just gotta catch magdks off guard lol to strong in a duel style fight.
    Edited by WacArnold on September 22, 2019 5:43PM
    Xbox One - North American - Ebonheart Pact
    Anti-Pop Lv 50 Magicka Nightblade Dark Elf
    WacArnold Lv 50 Magicka Templar Argonian
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i am a decent player on my best days, im uniquely ordinary, i have my moments when i screw up, double cast, kite to a stupid area, or many other dumb decison, but what ever its a game

Too many people think that this GAME, is somehow a reflection of personal SKILLZ or some inner mental or reflex superiority. So much of it is having good ping, a good build, and honestly some luck. Now don't get me wrong, there is a decent amount of situational awareness and decision making involved, and practice helps like anything. But I've encountered so many people who take every individual 0 hp state like it was some ultimate judgement on a persons self worth or value. I turned kill count off and just try and have fun and see what I can get away with, tag sorcs with stuns on the back line, gank a guy standing on the front porch of a keep or outpost in the middle of a group and all the guards. Go after that 50k hp tank and see if they panic. Well, that last one only if I don't recognize them.

On my magblade side, I have gone back to to swift and steed. Even then I've run into some the usual fast players who are stocked up on detect pots. But hey, it's all part of the game. I think Cyrodiil needs a massive revamp but I doubt the resources will be there to do it. They put the Hammer in which is in itself not a completely well thought out mechanic and really needs some work but there has been nothing since. That's disappointing.

Yeah that hammer was supposed to split action in cyro I think? Like two days ago when I was on my templar my buddies and I took the hammer, we proceed to take the entire map and force like 3 bars of pop off the campaign. Where we went a giant zerg followed. It was amazing what a group of 6 in coms trading off the hammer could do. Not very well thought out at all.

I have always though running some sort of like "caravan" system where you can attack and capture them. If you succeed you get w/e ammount of AP considered balanced of you fail the other faction gets it upon arival
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So has anyone run moonhunter/calu/balog? I mean it's probably totally stat poor but for some reason I feel of you can light attack, cloak, soul harvest, then weave whatever or just impale away
    I wish I had those sets to try.

Certainly Caluu on it's own is not enough burst to kill most players. Yes, there are always noobs and PvEers, but most of the time I have to run after people to try and finish them off. As you know, I use Zaan, which I find absolutely essential in my build. No problem whatsoever with your "delayed gank" idea, since that's what happens anyway. Even with Caluu + Zaan at it's best, it takes me 3 GCDs to kill an AFK medium armor, full CP player. Stamblades could always do it better. I have been killed WITH SHIELDS AND SHADE UP, in 2GCDs by a stamblade. Lethal Arrow + Incap in 1st GCD, Killer's Blade in 2nd, for a total of 33K actual damage, not tooltip damage. Was standing on a flag, thinking I would be safe with Dampen and shade up.

For a variety of reasons I find that stats end up really crap to produce a viable Caluu build. Your idea would counter that problem. My only gripe would be that investing into spell damage, instead of magicka, hurts your shields.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @HaruKamui do you feel the enchants from torugs gives you better burst or at least pressure even though you *lack some* buff from more magic?. I'm having a really hard time dealing with some specs. Don't don't kill me but I seem to only dent them. I have a funny 1v1 in cyro recorded I want to figure out how to link
    Both of your health bars aren't moving very much. I think that guy was basically an outright tank.

I don't think you can do anything against a properly specced and played DK. I threw together my own, thinking I must counter the DOT meta, and was surpised how tanky I ended up. I used the following:

Blood Spawn
    Fury
    7th Legion back bar (1H+S)
    Agility front bar (2H)

A couple of things conspire to give such a stam DK a s h * t ton of healing. Steed for the speed. 7th Legion for the damage. Gold food, cause you can afford it. Lingering Health potions with stamina. That adds up to 2K+ health regen + lingering with basically zero compromise. Add Cauterize, which now scales with magicka OR stamina. Add the obligatory Vigor and perhaps Rally. Major Mending, heavy armor and that blocking passive. DK is insanely tanky. Their damage isn't the greatest, but they aren't super compromised with such a build either. Given how little damage that guy put out, he may have been running something even tankier, though, perhaps Cyrodiil's Crest.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ... though I will say I’ve played against Dottz and he’s really good. No hype there, easily one of the best players I’ve seen.
    Errr ... really?!? He's the one YouTuber I actually ran into once. As you may know, I mainly play on PC EU. However, I have my magblade on PC NA as well, where she was maybe mid CP300s when I encountered Dottz magblade on PC NA, in CP IC, and ganked him. I did not succeed, but got fairly close. He couldn't kill me either, though. The fight went on for maybe a minute, or so.

To be honest, I think he wasn't fully committed, possibly tired, on a new build, or just trying to bring his Tel Var home. That's how it seemed to me. Still, I was only CP300-something at the time. Had to let him go when I ran out of magicka.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I dont feel lacking in damage. Spinners with the light armor passive is already a lot of penetration. Add the shock enchant proc-ing every light attack, and the infused weapon damage enchant on the resto. I only ever really proc the resto enchant intentionally when im about to soul harvest -> spectral bow though.

• HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Messed with my magsorc this weekend with a new build. Spent around 500k gold for the build along with 200 transmute crystals so i'm pretty invested.

Having fun with how easy it is to get frags and how mobile streak is. I also love how flexible combos with the spec is... My magblade feels like a flowchart of things to perform compared to the magsorc.

• fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @GhostofDatthaw, I watched all of your videos. What stood out most to me is how you're able to play outnumbered, inside a loose group of enemies, despite being more of a ranged build. I'm impressed by your ability to defend in those situations. I can also relate to you getting stuck on obstacles and the camera switching to 1st person at one time. Happens to me. The latter can be a real killer, but you got through it.

@HaruKamui, I watched your videos as well. The music and the group vs. group scenarios made these harder to follow, but it's good to see you fighting in the tighter spaces of the sewers. I don't believe the sewers are the nightblade heaven they're sometimes made out to be, at least not in group fights.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @GhostofDatthaw: Your DK seemed super tanky and low damage. Here's my duel with one. Neither me nor this DK are top duellers, I think. Making clips like these shows me I have to coordinate my ulti and Caluu proc better with a Zaan proc against tanky targets. The DK also didn't combo his ulti well or, perhaps, used it too defensively. I think he got bored after a while.

The shocker is the ease with which the necro dispatches the DK at the end. You can see the DK never recovering his health, which I assume must have been due to DOTs or a Defile on him. I don't use DOTs, other than Lotus Fan and, given the next patch, I'm not planning to change me build.

https://youtu.be/3k3YAqFv9RQ
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ... though I will say I’ve played against Dottz and he’s really good. No hype there, easily one of the best players I’ve seen.
    Errr ... really?!? He's the one YouTuber I actually ran into once. As you may know, I mainly play on PC EU. However, I have my magblade on PC NA as well, where she was maybe mid CP300s when I encountered Dottz magblade on PC NA, in CP IC, and ganked him. I did not succeed, but got fairly close. He couldn't kill me either, though. The fight went on for maybe a minute, or so.

To be honest, I think he wasn't fully committed, possibly tired, on a new build, or just trying to bring his Tel Var home. That's how it seemed to me. Still, I was only CP300-something at the time. Had to let him go when I ran out of magicka.

For sure. People have alts they play as well but irrc his is a DK. Classy person and extremely good player, think he’s thumped me every time I’ve seen him.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @fred4, dude I'm glad you enjoyed the videos. Hopefully I can get some soon where I'm actually the victor but as we all know magnb is a hard knock life. I was laughing that you brought up get getting stuck, that light post was almost the death of me lol. Btw if you couldn't tell, I love bruma lol

I can relate to other classes hitting somuch harder. I will be fighting someone for a couple minutes then my buddy comes and just ends the party.

I like the video, it's just not my cup of tea, I ran zaan for a while and decided I dislike procs for my personal playstyle.
    Edited by GhostofDatthaw on September 23, 2019 7:35AM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can relate to other classes hitting somuch harder. I will be fighting someone for a couple minutes then my buddy comes and just ends the party.
    I was a bit taken aback by that. Upon watching the video again, that necro was pretty textbook. DOTs first, then he perfectly comboed a Dizzying, Blastbones and, probably, executioner. That's 3 skills during a CC. Nightblades just can't do that anymore*, because everything has been systematically nerfed. What good is Merciless alone? I remember a time when, I believe, Soul Tether stunned through block, so people would combo it with Merciless. Not too long ago Incap stunned. That's gone. When Dizzying loses it's stun, you might still do an awkward partially charged heavy, but basically it leaves stamsorcs and DKs in the dust. It's such a merry go round. First they give classes burst skills. Power of the Light, Subterranean, Blastbones. Now Dizzying gets nerfed. Do they ever think it through?
    I like the video, it's just not my cup of tea, I ran zaan for a while and decided I dislike procs for my personal playstyle.
    Hmm. Did you mention Caluu? I could have sworn you wanted to try Caluu, Balorgh and Moon Hunter.

* EDIT: I suppose the closest I get is Concealed with stun into a Caluu proc and ulti. That necro or, more to the point, a warden can combo every 3 seconds, though, where I am not entirely sure when Caluu will go off next in a prolonged fight.
    Edited by fred4 on September 23, 2019 9:53AM
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was a bit taken aback by that. Upon watching the video again, that necro was pretty textbook. DOTs first, then he perfectly comboed a Dizzying, Blastbones and, probably, executioner. That's 3 skills during a CC. Nightblades just can't do that anymore*, because everything has been systematically nerfed. What good is Merciless alone? I remember a time when, I believe, Soul Tether stunned through block, so people would combo it with Merciless. Not too long ago Incap stunned. That's gone. When Dizzying loses it's stun, you might still do an awkward partially charged heavy, but basically it leaves stamsorcs and DKs in the dust. It's such a merry go round. First they give classes burst skills. Power of the Light, Subterranean, Blastbones. Now Dizzying gets nerfed. Do they ever think it through?
    Hmm. Did you mention Caluu? I could have sworn you wanted to try Caluu, Balorgh and Moon Hunter.

* EDIT: I suppose the closest I get is Concealed with stun into a Caluu proc and ulti. That necro or, more to the point, a warden can combo every 3 seconds, though, where I am not entirely sure when Caluu will go off next in a prolonged fight.

I run calu on my gankr out of necessity. But what I didn't like about zaan was the chance to proc and the actual proc timer. If felt like too much a game of chance if or when it was going to proc and was gone from one foot dodge roll. I brought up those sets because they are a little more reliable of a proc imo.... I guess now that I think about it, I just was not a fan of the playstyle needed for zaan.

Losing stun on incap was a horrible nerfs for Even magbldes. I was always popping people with it then bow for good combos. Then they take the stun and it got a little harder to fear animation cancel sh animation cancel bow. Now with the nerd on bow travel speed and ult cast times it we have absolutely nothing to line up for burst. It's honestly a serious class problem o think we need to bring up to the devs.
    Edited by GhostofDatthaw on September 23, 2019 10:49AM
  • ExistingRug61
    ExistingRug61
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thought I'd jump in and share what I have been playing in NoCP Cyrodiil (or non-vet Cyrodiil when playing with others I know that play in there). Build is currently:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=179835

Now, some background into some of the reasons behind my choices:
    1) I play from Aus so lets just say my ping is .... not great. The biggest impact of this is light attack weaves are very very unreliable. So skills that rely on LA like merciless and siphoning strikes are basically a no go (although there was a time when I used merciless purely for minor berserk, but obviously that is no longer a thing). A side effect is it actually means I am not losing that much by using dual swords as light attacks are less reliable.
    2) I play on xbox, which means bar swapping is kinda awkward as you have to either take your thumb of the left stick and stop moving or reach all the way across with your right thumb and can't change view direction while doing so. Also again bad ping means that bar swap basically takes a GCD and it is quite hard to bar swap cancel. So I try to minimise bar swaps, hence have a very defined melee offence bar and ranged/defence bar. It is also why I double bar cloak as that is my primary defence, so I always need it available NOW. Am tempted to get an elite controller so I can remap this though.

This is more of a continuous pressure build as opposed to outright burst. Normally I would try to get some pressure on with DoTs/Swallow Soul while kiting before trying to go Concelaed Stun > Soul Harvest > Crippling Grasp > Lotus. I think on Xbox players are bit slower to break free and dodge roll in comparison to pc, so I find this order works as players normally seem to break free between Soul Harvest and Crippling Gasp but they can't roll dodge before Crippling Grasp hits. Then most instinctively roll after being rooted by Crippling Grasp which is why I follow with Lotus as it hits through dodge. Now, this isn't normally enough to actually quite kill most players but it generally puts them in an unrecoverable position as long as I keep pressure on. But if its a Sorc or someone using lots of AoE I have no chance of getting a concealed stun I will instead save ult to stun with Soul Tether while keeping DoTs + Swallow Soul pressure on. I find I can be generally successful like this, provided I pay attention to positioning, where enemies are, never over commit, and stay well out of AoE situations.

Things I have been playing around with:
    I used to run Healing ward but have found Radiating Regen actually helps keep me alive better since the reduction of the low health scaling of healing ward (that plus vampire low health damage reduction used to make you quite hard to kill). It also means if I end up in a group I can still at least be somewhat useful by providing off heals.
    Inner light is a bit of a flex spot which I sometimes swap for Fear or RAT depending on how I feel.

Things I am considering trying:
    1) Ideally I want to change to a build that includes Calu (likely instead of Spinners) to help burst but I am still trying to farm weapons (this is quite hard as there are few people on who want to run Fang Lair at the times when I play). Likewise, if I had it BRP Resto back bar would also be nice If I wanted to try healing ward again.
    2) In the interim I am also considering trying Mechanical Acuity on the front bar to try to get it to proc while I am bursting and increase that, but I'm not sure if it would proc quickly or reliably enough. If I did this I would probably want to get RAT in instead of inner light for minor force. Also, does anyone know if Mech Acuity proc affects heals? (would help healing while trying to burst so wouldn't be quite as vulnerable)

Would welcome any other suggestions or feedback
    (Although I am sorta tied to DW as a style preference, really dislike staves as a weapon when playing melee)
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd jump in and share what I have been playing in NoCP Cyrodiil (or non-vet Cyrodiil when playing with others I know that play in there). Build is currently:

1) I play from Aus so lets just say my ping is .... not great. The biggest impact of this is light attack weaves are very very unreliable. So skills that rely on LA like merciless and siphoning strikes are basically a no go (although there was a time when I used merciless purely for minor berserk, but obviously that is no longer a thing). A side effect is it actually means I am not losing that much by using dual swords as light attacks are less reliable.
    2) I play on xbox, which means bar swapping is kinda awkward as you have to either take your thumb of the left stick and stop moving or reach all the way across with your right thumb and can't change view direction while doing so. Also again bad ping means that bar swap basically takes a GCD and it is quite hard to bar swap cancel. So I try to minimise bar swaps, hence have a very defined melee offence bar and ranged/defence bar. It is also why I double bar cloak as that is my primary defence, so I always need it available NOW. Am tempted to get an elite controller so I can remap this though.

This is more of a continuous pressure build as opposed to outright burst. Normally I would try to get some pressure on with DoTs/Swallow Soul while kiting before trying to go Concelaed Stun > Soul Harvest > Crippling Grasp > Lotus. I think on Xbox players are bit slower to break free and dodge roll in comparison to pc, so I find this order works as players normally seem to break free between Soul Harvest and Crippling Gasp but they can't roll dodge before Crippling Grasp hits. Then most instinctively roll after being rooted by Crippling Grasp which is why I follow with Lotus as it hits through dodge. Now, this isn't normally enough to actually quite kill most players but it generally puts them in an unrecoverable position as long as I keep pressure on. But if its a Sorc or someone using lots of AoE I have no chance of getting a concealed stun I will instead save ult to stun with Soul Tether while keeping DoTs + Swallow Soul pressure on. I find I can be generally successful like this, provided I pay attention to positioning, where enemies are, never over commit, and stay well out of AoE situations.

I used to run Healing ward but have found Radiating Regen actually helps keep me alive better since the reduction of the low health scaling of healing ward (that plus vampire low health damage reduction used to make you quite hard to kill). It also means if I end up in a group I can still at least be somewhat useful by providing off heals.
    Inner light is a bit of a flex spot which I sometimes swap for Fear or RAT depending on how I feel.

1) Ideally I want to change to a build that includes Calu (likely instead of Spinners) to help burst but I am still trying to farm weapons (this is quite hard as there are few people on who want to run Fang Lair at the times when I play). Likewise, if I had it BRP Resto back bar would also be nice If I wanted to try healing ward again.
    2) In the interim I am also considering trying Mechanical Acuity on the front bar to try to get it to proc while I am bursting and increase that, but I'm not sure if it would proc quickly or reliably enough. If I did this I would probably want to get RAT in instead of inner light for minor force. Also, does anyone know if Mech Acuity proc affects heals? (would help healing while trying to burst so wouldn't be quite as vulnerable)

(Although I am sorta tied to DW as a style preference, really dislike staves as a weapon when playing melee)

You can do some things to help your burst. Taking a quick look if you have the psijiic line try mark target, race against time, temporal guard and proximity detonation on your back bar.

Soul tether I found isn’t great, but it’s being changed on PTS, but for now minor protection helps. You can try adding those abilities to debuff from range then stay on your target when proximity detonation goes for a little extra burst. RAT will give you minor force and you can use it for a speed burst on your back bar.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Btw I made a post in general chat about a possible rework of magnb PvP burst, feeel free to chime in and give support or any ideas that could improve it.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Btw I made a post in general chat about a possible rework of magnb PvP burst, feeel free to chime in and give support or any ideas that could improve it.
    Well. I always thought NB burst was contingent on Incap / Soul Harvest. It does / did so much for a reason and that reason is that NBs do NOT actually stack burst, like sorcs, PoTL, Shalks and so on. Instead it stunned, it defiles, it gives you that 20% damage bonus. But people don't think about that. They see this one skill that appears to do far too much far too cheaply, without ever considering that NBs use(d) it in place of delayed burst skills.

Zaan fits the melee playstyle and being a speed build. Otherwise, yeah, I wouldn't recommend it. Sorcs always streak away too, but I don't have Balorgh.
    Edited by fred4 on September 23, 2019 12:02PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    2) In the interim I am also considering trying Mechanical Acuity on the front bar to try to get it to proc while I am bursting and increase that, but I'm not sure if it would proc quickly or reliably enough.
    That's the rub. I've tried Acuity on other classes. It often goes to waste as it doesn't line up with your attack / burst window. For me the attraction of that set would be trying a heavy armor Onslaught build. No complicated burst rotation, just go ham when Acuity procs and negate all the disadvantages of heavy armor by combining it with Onslaught. I was thinking of trying that on a magplar with Solar Barrage kept running at all times. Or any DOT build would be crazy, come to think of it, with all the DOTs automatically starting to crit, albeit not gaining the Onslaught pen.
    Also, does anyone know if Mech Acuity proc affects heals? (would help healing while trying to burst so wouldn't be quite as vulnerable)
    I am quite sure that it does and this is one of the major attractions.
  • ExistingRug61
    ExistingRug61
    ✭✭✭✭

You can do some things to help your burst. Taking a quick look if you have the psijiic line try mark target, race against time, temporal guard and proximity detonation on your back bar.

Soul tether I found isn’t great, but it’s being changed on PTS, but for now minor protection helps. You can try adding those abilities to debuff from range then stay on your target when proximity detonation goes for a little extra burst. RAT will give you minor force and you can use it for a speed burst on your back bar.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I think part of what is limiting my build is I am trying to stay a bit to versatile with the skills on my back bar, as if I'm with a group and its a big fight or something or theres lots of AoE I can still contribute damage from range via entropy/crippling grasp/swallow soul and providing off healing. If only it was easy to swap between loadouts more easily on xbox then I would probably have a solo burst oriented bar setup and a group focused bar setup.

Being able to untie myself from double bar cloak would certainly free up a slot to help though. Might have to try that if I do get an elite controller and can actually bar swap quickly without losing movement. I certainly agree that somehow fitting in the skills you suggest would help. I will have to play around with them and see how it goes.

I have actually found Soul Tether to be quite useful, firstly as a stun option against classes when I know I wont be able to land a cloak>concealed and secondly its very useful against npc's if I am playing the map and soloing/assisting objectives like resources/towns/outposts (although I guess proxy det would somewhat cover this as well if I get that in). Or to try to interrupt an opposing groups ult bomb. But I guess these are different applications to straight up burst, so again maybe I am trying to stay too versatile and would be better off focusing. Decisions decisions.
    2) In the interim I am also considering trying Mechanical Acuity on the front bar to try to get it to proc while I am bursting and increase that, but I'm not sure if it would proc quickly or reliably enough.
    That's the rub. I've tried Acuity on other classes. It often goes to waste as it doesn't line up with your attack / burst window. For me the attraction of that set would be trying a heavy armor Onslaught build. No complicated burst rotation, just go ham when Acuity procs and negate all the disadvantages of heavy armor by combining it with Onslaught. I was thinking of trying that on a magplar with Solar Barrage kept running at all times. Or any DOT build would be crazy, come to think of it, with all the DOTs automatically starting to crit, albeit not gaining the Onslaught pen.
    Yeah that was my though. I mean its ideal if it procs early in the burst rotation. But with how I am currently playing even if it procs late in my burst combo I should still have DoTs from Lotus, Crippling Grasp, and maybe entropy already going, and can just keep spamming concealed or swallow if they try to to run.

But if pts keeps going how its looking by next patch the DoTs probably won't be that great so it may be too late to try it anyway.
    Also, does anyone know if Mech Acuity proc affects heals? (would help healing while trying to burst so wouldn't be quite as vulnerable)
    I am quite sure that it does and this is one of the major attractions.
    Good to know, thanks.