The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

MagBlade Theorycrafting Changes Thread

• HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    @GhostofDatthaw, I watched all of your videos. What stood out most to me is how you're able to play outnumbered, inside a loose group of enemies, despite being more of a ranged build. I'm impressed by your ability to defend in those situations. I can also relate to you getting stuck on obstacles and the camera switching to 1st person at one time. Happens to me. The latter can be a real killer, but you got through it.

@HaruKamui, I watched your videos as well. The music and the group vs. group scenarios made these harder to follow, but it's good to see you fighting in the tighter spaces of the sewers. I don't believe the sewers are the nightblade heaven they're sometimes made out to be, at least not in group fights.

I love this peer evaluation we have going!
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teamwork makes the dream work. I would say magnb ATM is bottom of the mag spec scale, need to share.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No magblade changes this PTS cycle which is to be expected. I’ve noticed there are only really two rounds: the base changes and the .2 changes. .1 and .3 are usually bug fixes, sometimes there’s also minor stuff in .4.
    Edited by Iskiab on September 23, 2019 5:03PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey anybody know what the skill is that people are using that shoots you up way into the air when you trigger it. I think it is placed on the ground. Although it might be mad tinkerer and I was up on top of a keep wall both times and I didn't see it proc. It was really funny though. I went up fifty feet into the air and came down but no fall damage that I could tell. Whole thing was in slow motion.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It’s the mage guild trap. There are two morphs; one throws the people up and the other is a dot.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol volcanic rune. I used to LOVE that skill in my black wAter blade days. Guilds were smaller and actually taking keeps in fights you didn't crash out of. Any way, I would pop that at the base of the breech and group stun the initial push and all my group would dump them and spam out aoe.

That's literally the only use I've found of that skill but in keeps it's very fun
    Edited by GhostofDatthaw on September 23, 2019 6:14PM
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lol volcanic rune. I used to LOVE that skill in my black wAter blade days. Guilds were smaller and actually taking keeps in fights you didn't crash out of. Any way, I would pop that at the base of the breech and group stun the initial push and all my group would dump them and spam out aoe.

That's literally the only use I've found of that skill but in keeps it's very fun

Damn this brings back memories
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow thanks. All this time and I had never really seen it. Between this and the rounding on CP, it's been quite the week. Not to be a bummer, but having played this weekend some, I feel like Cyrodiil is really in bad shape. Not just the lag but the general feeling. It's dying a slow death. Really sort of sad. There is a post on the general section about end game pve being in bad shape, some guy can't find trainees for even the early easy trials. I think Cyrodiil is really suffering too. Hope they have a plan.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »

Eeeeyyyyy @casparian now that's a name I haven't seen in a long time, you were part of those fights. Great times. You ever reinstall?
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow thanks. All this time and I had never really seen it. Between this and the rounding on CP, it's been quite the week. Not to be a bummer, but having played this weekend some, I feel like Cyrodiil is really in bad shape. Not just the lag but the general feeling. It's dying a slow death. Really sort of sad. There is a post on the general section about end game pve being in bad shape, some guy can't find trainees for even the early easy trials. I think Cyrodiil is really suffering too. Hope they have a plan.

I'm holding true until next year when they do server performance patch. If they can't fix it I'm going to start on another game. IC is alot of fun now for small scale, although it ruined my telvar farm.

The problem I see is people are also bored in cyro, it needs something to live it up, however the performance needs to take a priority over anything. It needs something and the hammer soooooo did not do anything good
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Eeeeyyyyy @casparian now that's a name I haven't seen in a long time, you were part of those fights. Great times. You ever reinstall?

True story: I tried to this weekend but apparently 102GB is not enough disk space to fit ESO :'( I'll reinstall when I have time to fight my disk space issues XD
    Edited by casparian on September 23, 2019 9:25PM
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

True story: I tried to this weekend but apparently 102GB is not enough disk space to fit ESO :'( I'll reinstall when I have time to fight my disk space issues XD

I talked to Rak on steam and seen saber around a bit. Might have to plan a pugs reunion smackdown

Edit: I think I might have had a chance vs you on the mag nb but you had me on the magplar. If possible for you install before the next patch and try it, they are animals atm.
    Edited by GhostofDatthaw on September 24, 2019 12:44AM
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After watching my videos a bit more I have a problem with keeping mercy up at all times. Definitely something I need to work on
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah alot of people are losing faith in the games directions. And the competence of the dev crew to steer it in the proper directions.along with fixing the performance. The only thing this game has going for it is the gameplay when it works is top notch. Nothing else out there compares. I played wow classic and grinded to lvl 20, said *** this if I'm gonna grind *** anymore I'm not doing it in this slow cast bar combat.

I'm giving eso until next year, if they do not deliver on these promised performance upgrades than I will be actively searching for a better game, and it will probably be Warcraft 3 reforged which comes out the end of this year
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭

Cyrodiil is in bad shape with lag. And now that ic event is over its dead which sucks because the lag was almost non existent. The only thing left for me anyways is bgs. Gonna start working a build specifically for that, so on the upside i have never really committed to bgs so that maybe entertaining.

Really wish they would bring ap to ic i think that would get more players.
    Xbox One - North American - Ebonheart Pact
    Anti-Pop Lv 50 Magicka Nightblade Dark Elf
    WacArnold Lv 50 Magicka Templar Argonian
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    WacArnold wrote: »

Cyrodiil is in bad shape with lag. And now that ic event is over its dead which sucks because the lag was almost non existent. The only thing left for me anyways is bgs. Gonna start working a build specifically for that, so on the upside i have never really committed to bgs so that maybe entertaining.

BGs on a magblade? I’d expect to have a rough time, you can still do them but it’s easy to get discouraged.

On PC-NA since the last patch it’s been mostly StamDKs, Wardens, Sorcs and Stamplars. Magplars are good but they still aren’t common.

I’ll still see NBs but usually on the losing team. Magblade healers got hit and evaporated, I’m the only one I’ve seen since the last patch.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On PC na ic has actually become a very fun place to PvP solo or small scale. The consolidation kinda ruined my boss farming but I love the PvP.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Oh.. another thing. I’d start with Brandon’s spec and tweak it to your playstyle from there.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

BGs on a magblade? I’d expect to have a rough time, you can still do them but it’s easy to get discouraged.

On PC-NA since the last patch it’s been mostly StamDKs, Wardens, Sorcs and Stamplars. Magplars are good but they still aren’t common.

I’ll still see NBs but usually on the losing team. Magblade healers got hit and evaporated, I’m the only one I’ve seen since the last patch.

Funny you say that cuz i was thinking about how i wanted to go about a magblade bg build and realized other classes can do just about everything better and how hard this could end up being lol. I have a stamblade i use for bgs but stamblade not as fun to me as mag lol.

I will check out Brandons build though.
    Edited by WacArnold on September 24, 2019 7:08PM
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭

On PC na ic has actually become a very fun place to PvP solo or small scale. The consolidation kinda ruined my boss farming but I love the PvP.

Ic has always been my fav because its solo friendly. But there is alot of running around looking for people on xbox. Unless you want to challenge the flag groups. But my build nor skill would work out in a 1vx. The event was nice because i had to watch my back. Now its you look at the map and if a flag is being taken in another district your chance of seeing people went to 20% or lower. I just end up running around more than fighting anymore.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Ic has always been my fav because its solo friendly. But there is alot of running around looking for people on xbox. Unless you want to challenge the flag groups. But my build nor skill would work out in a 1vx. The event was nice because i had to watch my back. Now its you look at the map and if a flag is being taken in another district your chance of seeing people went to 20% or lower. I just end up running around more than fighting anymore.
    Now you know why I run such a speed build :p.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Iskiab, you say magblades are often on the losing team in BGs. This has been my experience too, albeit my experience is very, very limited. As someone who is fundamentally a ganker, I find it hard to rack up a score. Like @GhostofDatthaw, I like testing the waters in PvP to see what I can get away with. I am as proud of daring escapes as I am of kills, but find that the BG scoring system does not reward you for that. It doesn't favor surgical play. It IMO favors "touching" as many targets as you can, possibly by spamming AOE or by blindly shooting from range, so you rack up your assists, if not kills. In that sense it's not dissimilar to grinding XP in Spellscar. As far as I can see it puts little emphasis on your own survival. This ruined BGs, for me, from the get go.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Iskiab, you say magblades are often on the losing team in BGs. This has been my experience too, albeit my experience is very, very limited. As someone who is fundamentally a ganker, I find it hard to rack up a score. Like @GhostofDatthaw, I like testing the waters in PvP to see what I can get away with. I am as proud of daring escapes as I am of kills, but find that the BG scoring system does not reward you for that. It doesn't favor surgical play. It IMO favors "touching" as many targets as you can, possibly by spamming AOE or by blindly shooting from range, so you rack up your assists, if not kills. In that sense it's not dissimilar to grinding XP in Spellscar. As far as I can see it puts little emphasis on your own survival. This ruined BGs, for me, from the get go.

Yup, this is my experience too. Played a death match where no one died on my team, we had an off healer Templar but we lost.

That’s why the most successful builds have sustain, aoe and executes. Worst thing you can do is not be able to push with team mates because you lack the resources, and securing the killing blow is the name of the game.

I think that’s why DKs are always underrated and Sorcs are over rated. I prefer higher MMR games where people are tankier and play together as a team, win or lose I love having DKs on my team as a healer, and some NBs get abused for queuing if they’re off doing their own thing and not contributing.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

Yup, this is my experience too. Played a death match where no one died on my team, we had an off healer Templar but we lost.

That’s why the most successful builds have sustain, aoe and executes. Worst thing you can do is not be able to push with team mates because you lack the resources, and securing the killing blow is the name of the game.

I think that’s why DKs are always underrated and Sorcs are over rated. I prefer higher MMR games where people are tankier and play together as a team, win or lose I love having DKs on my team as a healer, and some NBs get abused for queuing if they’re off doing their own thing and not contributing.

I dom mt play bgs or no cp all too much as y'all know. But a non greedy sorc can be deadly in small groups., Running clan fear for bol type heal, atro crazy aoe and zone control, negate removes mag specs, rune mines are amazing for zone control and setting up burst., Streak has unblockable aoe is stun and is good for settup up burst. Liquid lightning is clunky but if you get a good choke or someone just grabs synnergy it's pretty good (just got on eso and looked at ll, did they take a buff synnergy from it? Felt it was major berserk) restraining prision is also a good skill to use in-group. I think sorc needs to get away from the solo haunt pulse cage frag 1shot style to be effective in a tight group situation
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried going like a stupid high spell damage setup? Like light armor seducer with all infused spell damage and moonhunter with balg? Or maybe even drop seducer for spell strat and go yolo.
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried going like a stupid high spell damage setup? Like light armor seducer with all infused spell damage and moonhunter with balg? Or maybe even drop seducer for spell strat and go yolo.

I tried War Maiden, Juli, Slime, spell power enchant, all infused spell damage, apprentice once. If you have continuous attack and maj sorcery you can get a 13k concealed tool tip. At least I think it's around that. You sustain though will probably be 1700 ish. The problem then is always over doing it/overextending and ending up unable to deal with a counter attack or sustained pressure.

I honestly feel like the game has reached the point that there will be no further must have sets unless the 5 piece effect is ridiculous. You can gear chase but its just to break the monotony. Why should I trade any offensive set for spinners right now? If they nerf spinners, then I go war maiden. If they nerf war maiden well I go new moon I guess. They are all really the same thing mathematically and you adjust your mundus and enchants to compensate so you end up with the sustain and damage tool tips that you want.

I would love to see them start introducing sets that enhanced modified certain class skills but I don't think that is in the cards. Too many to do and make it seem fair.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried War Maiden, Juli, Slime, spell power enchant, all infused spell damage, apprentice once. If you have continuous attack and maj sorcery you can get a 13k concealed tool tip. At least I think it's around that. You sustain though will probably be 1700 ish. The problem then is always over doing it/overextending and ending up unable to deal with a counter attack or sustained pressure.

I honestly feel like the game has reached the point that there will be no further must have sets unless the 5 piece effect is ridiculous. You can gear chase but its just to break the monotony. Why should I trade any offensive set for spinners right now? If they nerf spinners, then I go war maiden. If they nerf war maiden well I go new moon I guess. They are all really the same thing mathematically and you adjust your mundus and enchants to compensate so you end up with the sustain and damage tool tips that you want.

I would love to see them start introducing sets that enhanced modified certain class skills but I don't think that is in the cards. Too many to do and make it seem fair.

Have you tried with onslaught? Now you can pretty much ignore pen one of my buddies is thoery crafting a light armor onslaught magnb to play similar to his Stam nb.
    Edited by GhostofDatthaw on September 25, 2019 3:14PM
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried with onslaught? Now you can pretty much ignore pen one of my buddies is thoery crafting a light armor onslaught magnb to play similar to his Stam nb.

Yeah, I still like soul harvest better because it comes up faster and I like running flame staff to make my light attacks count. Plus the 8% single target. I have 15k pen in my current set up so onslaught is only going to help against super tanky guys and I'm so squishy that going toe to toe for very long is going to mean getting mauled at some point by a dragon leap, or a fossilze or something else.

• GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I still like soul harvest better because it comes up faster and I like running flame staff to make my light attacks count. Plus the 8% single target. I have 15k pen in my current set up so onslaught is only going to help against super tanky guys and I'm so squishy that going toe to toe for very long is going to mean getting mauled at some point by a dragon leap, or a fossilze or something else.

He's a Stam guy main probably see him roaming cyro or ic, kamanpk. That's why he feels at home with the 2h I. His hands and procing things from back bar. I feel you though I kinda dislike melee attacks now.

When zaan 1st came out and 2h was all the rage I could cloak and heavy, rinse repeat. Once that zaan proc it's incap and spam. I kinda miss that playstyle
    Edited by GhostofDatthaw on September 25, 2019 3:44PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I don’t think this is true. There are still some specs that are mathematically better, but it’s mostly about synergy between sets.

Without testing and trying out new things you can get caught behind the meta. Usually with how specs work you tweak and tweak until you take a setup as strong as it can get down a logical progression, but if you tried a different strategy at the beginning you’ll arrive somewhere else. Does that make sense? I think that’s where some people get hung up, they confuse the class with a playstyle, but there are more options out there.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair