Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 14:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
· [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stam/mag version for each weapon type

Tipsy
Tipsy
✭✭✭
In order to "play how you want" I believe each weapon should get a stam/mag version to make things more interesting
& bring more build freedom & diversity to the game.
So players can decide on which skills they want to use & pick whatever weapon they fancy along with it
As it is now ,weapons kind of shoe horn players into either a stam /mag setup based on the type theat specific weapon supports.
So if you like a stam weapon,but prefer mag skills.Prepare for resource management issues as your beloved weapon does not support it & does not restore the resource you use.
Weapons shouldn't have such a prominent role in build setup imo

a stam version of staves ,a mag version of axes & swords are but a few examples that could allow players more freedom of choice
while bringing more diversity to the table
  • Yellow_Monolith
    Yellow_Monolith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe there should be a magic weapon that buffs spell crit like daggers do for weapon crit dual wield.
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, I think this would be lots of fun :) I like magicka powers and toons, but staves are getting *real* old. Like over a year old in my case. Started leveling a stamcro with a bow, and that weapon is so much fun! I'd love a bow-wielding magden.

Considering how base lore has gotten thrown out the window already with the race changes, I can't see how this would be "worse." Because it wouldn't. It would be fun.
  • Gundug
    Gundug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technically, previous elder scrolls games had summonable weapons and armor, so this isn’t all that farfetched. On the other hand, creating twice as many functions for each weapon means that much more combat balancing for the designers. Do you feel they have had little difficulty balancing the game so far?
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stam/mag version per class ability?
  • Fermian
    Fermian
    ✭✭✭
    They should start by adding more stamina class morphs imo. But my idea would be adding morphs to the passive weapon skills. And just keep the abilities as they are now.

The staves are not designed for physical damage tho.
  • Tipsy
    Tipsy
    ✭✭✭
    Shadowscout obviously never met Cadwell either,which is a thin ,lanky warrior without any physical strength
    And yet the greatest of all <3
    I'm just baffled by such a rude response that came out of nowhere & serves no purpose other than to derail this maybe.Just like how reason twisting with him is pointless I think.I'm just going to ignore him

By the way,magical sword wielding is already present in the game too. The forgemother in Orsinium uses it at some point
    and in crypt of hearts II the boss uses a sword magically
    & in the round room behind the bone colossus , a scene can be observed where a sword is wielded with magic.
    There are already animations present for magical sword wielding.
    So it could easily be made in an alternate skill line for magical sword wielding

that too ,I believe they would go hand in hand..
    like the lving vines of the green balance tree could be converted to a stam entangling vines morph
    At some point i could see a third morph being added that gives more depth and flavor to each class too.
    I'd love it if eventually player can pick whatever weapon they fancy,with the flavor they prefer.And as Gundug mentions,in other games we also had summonable weapons
    Edited by Tipsy on August 2, 2019 11:03AM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gundug wrote: »
    Technically, previous elder scrolls games had summonable weapons and armor...
    ...and so does ESO.
    DK lava whips, nightblade red daggers & bow, templar spears, necromancer scythe, fighters dawnbreaker... there are your "summoned weapons".
    Yeah, they only summon for one attack in ESO. Clearly the spells would get some refinement in the eight centuries until the next TES game, huh? ;)
    Fermian wrote: »
    They should start by adding more stamina class morphs imo.
    Nah, that's just as bad from the other side!

I mean... stamina is -musclepower-!
    How many fireballs have you seen a person muscle into existance?
    How many daedra are summoned by flexing ones biceps?
    How many people have become invisible by clenching their buttocks extra hard?

Yeah, there are -some- class skills that are sort of half-half... in a "magic up a effect, then use your muscles to poke it at the enemy" way. And they can have one "pour more magica into it" morph, and one more "put more muscle into it" stamina morph... because the game system isn't really set up for "half-half" spell costs I guess?
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    So magicka users can't wield physical weapons, but you brainless muscular brutes do have the intelligence to cast magick skills from the class skills? Yeah, they cost stamina sometimes, but a spell is a spell. Brutes should be able to cast that kind of spells.
    Sure they can. But they will su... uhm... not be very effective at it.

And yeah, technically ALL our vestige characters are capable of both might and magic. They just tend to specialize... even the brutes can cast magica spells - just not very effective. Even the nerds can swing weapons - just not very effective. And that is as it should be!
    Musclebound warriors generating fireballs with flaxing their pecs on the other hand, or nerdy mages swinging swords despite having no musclepower or warrior training? Not so much...

Want a mage that can do warrior stuff too? Make a hybrid character, divide your attribute poijnts between the two. Then watch everyone laugh at you because the friggin game system at the moment has "all into your damage stat" as the META. (which I still dislike, a LOT, and wish they would bring softcaps back to make hybrid characters viable again! Maybe even add some other effects... like, low points in HT making you take double damage or worse from traps, poison and disease and such...)
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    And TES games always had magick weapons in the form of bound weapons. I want my magick bow.
    Play nightblade. THEY get that "summoned weapon" bow!

Also, the "bound weapons" -never- were anything else but conjured stamina weapons. I mean, all the spell did was put a weapon in your hands, you -still- had to use the weapon skill to be effective with it, riiiight? And that skill line... is all stamina-based in the ESO mechanics.

That aside... I still hope someday they will make a "bound weapons" motiv, as I mentioned elsewhere! After all, that's what would best represent this in ESO!

Just imagine it, they could make an "etheral weapons" motiv series, various styles of weapons made of mystic energy... they could do multiple flavors, purple-black dark magic weapons, red-brown blood magic weapons, cyan-blue ghost magic weapons, white-gold holy magic weapons, greenish nature magic weapons, blue-white ice magic weapons, yellow-orange fire magic weapons, blue-purple lightning magic weapons, grey-brown earth magic weapons...
    ...perhaps even with a "summon weapon" animation instead of just "draw weapon"!
    How nifty would that be!
  • Tipsy
    Tipsy
    ✭✭✭
    Turn things around and try to see it from the other perspective
    consider weapons would not be in the game (or bo staff would be the only stam weapon) and they would just have added a stam version to lava whip,scyth,spears,..
    And say "there you have your stam weapons"
    Obviously players would go away empty handed and unsatisfied.
    & not the same as the bound weapons we had in oblivion either
    Edited by Tipsy on August 2, 2019 11:27AM
  • CambionDaemon
    CambionDaemon
    ✭✭✭
    Bound weapons should have been in the Sorcerer toolkit from the beginning, And if we are going to use the idea that Stamina i muscle power, then Magicka should out-damage Stamina by hundreds to one.

One the actual subject though, this game needs more Magicka weapon full stop. Sword and Spell is already in the game (NPC's have it) and it is shown in every trailer from launch (so why don't we have it yet).
  • Tipsy
    Tipsy
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the mag version of a weapons like the sword could even give more depth to a class
    like a sorcerer creating illusion copies of the sword in mag version:
    Axia-the-Wandering-Swordmage.jpg
    Or the necromancer using corpse energy to wield the greatsword
    ab9a897b61ec53cb7dad8be509b52655.jpg
    While a warden might be able to fortify the sword with spikes or vines
    latest?cb=20160326002016

I realize that would take more work though & even 1 alternate version would cool for every weapon
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello everyone,

Recently we've had to remove a few posts for some flaming, which is against the Forum Rules. For further posts be sure to stay constructive and respectful to avoid thread derailment or action on one's own account.

Thank you for understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone,

Recently we've had to remove a few posts for some flaming....

Only by mag users, since it's a spell.
    Edited by Knootewoot on August 2, 2019 7:52PM
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love melee magblade so yes please 😎
  • Devanear
    Devanear
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't like an idea like this, if everything is the same, than your choices are meaningless. I would like to see more diversity of weapons of both types, like spears and magic runes or wands, instead of taking away fantasy elements of the game by making spells castable with stamina.
  • Hazurko_RaShan
    Hazurko_RaShan
    ✭✭✭
    The sta
    They should start by adding more stamina class morphs imo. But my idea would be adding morphs to the passive weapon skills. And just keep the abilities as they are now.

Yes but they would be a physical weapon for a stam build. Even Gandalf used his for physical damage.
  • Tipsy
    Tipsy
    ✭✭✭
    Devanear wrote: »
    if everything is the same, than your choices are meaningless. I would like to see more diversity of weapons of both types, like spears and magic runes or wands, instead of taking away fantasy elements of the game by making spells castable with stamina.

The idea is not making magicka spells castable with stamina,but rather creating whole new weapon skil lines ..
    versions for the alternate build type.
    Each class could get individual weapon flavor (but this would be most work probably-examples previous post)
    Or it could be a questchain in some knightly order to unlock new magical sword skills or so
    Or it simply could be an alternate passive line that converts the weapon of choice to whatever build style the player prefers.
    A difference between stam/mag usage of a weapon might be nice,as to make it clear that the powersource used is different
    Providing something for everyone's liking.Thus on the contrary ,it would add lots of exciting new options and elements to play with.
    Its a pitty too that about 95 procent of magicka characters are using a staff.While that may not be their weapon of choice as a magicka character at all.
    But since there are no other options ,they kinda get locked in that choice eventually.Even scepters would be welcome yea.
    Though i'd like to be able to use wield a sword with magicka
    860a424c64ec1efb67d2d9925889b594.jpg

Edited by Tipsy on August 2, 2019 10:06PM
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Not with that attitude they're not.

I'm picturing the stam version of staves simply being beating at enemy to death with the staff, which would be fantastic.
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish my StamDK could use more of her class skills. Out of 15 skills, only 2 morphed skills are stamina. Pretty silly that a stamina DK has to mostly use general weapon skills and guild skills since you have a hard time restoring magicka to power the class skills.

While I'd like to see more class stamina skills/morphs I'd really like to see that when the CP system is revamped you could decide to allocate where and how much HA resource restores.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tipsy wrote: »
    Shadowscout obviously never met Cadwell either,which is a thin ,lanky warrior without any physical strength
    Says who?
    I have met a great many "thin, lanky" people who had a great deal of strength. Its all in how strong their muscles are, not muw big...
    BtW, I can even recall a "thin lanky" person in history who was known for feats of strength before he became famous for other things. Abraham Lincoln.

What I am saying is that -stamina- represents those "trained physical muscles" and -magica- represents "trained mystical minds"; the former is for warriors wielding weapons, the latter for mages casting spells.
    By the way,magical sword wielding is already present in the game too.
    Yes, as I said (before ALL of my comments got deleted).
    There IS a crafted set station in Orsinium if you want this.

...and thus remove ALL differences between stamina and magica.
    And just how would that generate greater diversity, if everyone had the exact same options?
    It would not.
    I'd love it if eventually player can pick whatever weapon they fancy,with the flavor they prefer.
    And I would hate it, because... as I said... it makes no sense.
    It makes no sense for people who trained their mind instead of their muscles to ge good at wielding physical weapons.
    It makes no sense for people who trained their muscles instead of their mind to be good at casting great mystical spells.

And it makes no sense to allow this to remove all difference between stamina and magica builds.
    And as Gundug mentions,in other games we also had summonable weapons
    And as I also have mentioned, we do in ESO as well, just in a different way.
    DK lava whips. Nightblade red daggers and bow. Templar spears. Necromancer scythe. FG dawnbreaker.

And as I also mentioned, those are not "weapons wielded with magic", they are weapons conjured up with magic, then wielderd with musclepower, just like any other sword.

And as I also kept saying
    I wouldn't like an idea like this, if everything is the same, than your choices are meaningless. I would like to see more diversity of weapons of both types, like spears and magic runes or wands, instead of taking away fantasy elements of the game by making spells castable with stamina.
    YES! Exactly!
    So much this!
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/371862/additional-weapon-skill-ideas-mk-ii/p1 ;)
    Yes but they would be a physical weapon for a stam build. Even Gandalf used his for physical damage.
    But that is not how weapons work in the ESO mechanics. You -cannot- have a weapon that performs in one way in the hands of a "magica character" and in a different way in the hands of a "stamina character".
    They -can- however add a new weapon skill line, like, say, "polearms", which uses similar visuals as staves, but are different weapons that are stamina weapons.
    I would like that. (duh, see link above)
    The idea is not making magicka spells castable with stamina,but rather creating whole new weapon skil lines .
    Not what you said. And not how it works.
    Which skill line you get is entirely dependent on your -weapon type selection- in the ESO mechanics. There cannot be two skill lines for the same weapon type selection (though there can be different skill lines for different weapon type selections - like "One-handed and Magic", much like "1H&Shield" and "Dual Wield" only differ in what you have in your offhand...)

"New weapon types & skill lines" would be a good thing!
    "Stam/mag version for each weapon type" would be a bad thing!
    Its a pitty too that about 95 procent of magicka characters are using a staff.While that may not be their weapon of choice as a magicka character at all.
    But since there are no other options ,they kinda get locked in that choice eventually.
    That we can agree on!
    I want more choices for magica characters!
    Spell Foci! One-handed and magic! Twin Magic! Martial Arts Magic! Whatever, really...
    But not just giving -stamina weapons- a "magica version"...
    Ardaghion wrote: »
    Pretty silly that a stamina DK has to mostly use general weapon skills and guild skills since you have a hard time restoring magicka to power the class skills.
    Not so silly.
    That's exactly how its supposed to be!
    "Szamina characters" are the warriors after all. They are -supposed- to mostly use their weapons to fight, while -magica characters- are the mages which are supposed to use a wide range of magical attacks to fight.

But as I keep saying. It -would- be nice to have a bit more choices.
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Says who?
    I have met a great many "thin, lanky" people who had a great deal of strength. Its all in how strong their muscles are, not muw big...
    BtW, I can even recall a "thin lanky" person in history who was known for feats of strength before he became famous for other things. Abraham Lincoln.

What I am saying is that -stamina- represents those "trained physical muscles" and -magica- represents "trained mystical minds"; the former is for warriors wielding weapons, the latter for mages casting spells.
    By the way,magical sword wielding is already present in the game too.
    Yes, as I said (before ALL of my comments got deleted).
    There IS a crafted set station in Orsinium if you want this.

...and thus remove ALL differences between stamina and magica.
    And just how would that generate greater diversity, if everyone had the exact same options?
    It would not.
    I'd love it if eventually player can pick whatever weapon they fancy,with the flavor they prefer.
    It makes no sense for people who trained their mind instead of their muscles to ge good at wielding physical weapons.
    It makes no sense for people who trained their muscles instead of their mind to be good at casting great mystical spells.

And it makes no sense to allow this to remove all difference between stamina and magica builds.
    And as Gundug mentions,in other games we also had summonable weapons
    And as I also have mentioned, we do in ESO as well, just in a different way.
    DK lava whips. Nightblade red daggers and bow. Templar spears. Necromancer scythe. FG dawnbreaker.

And as I also mentioned, those are not "weapons wielded with magic", they are weapons conjured up with magic, then wielderd with musclepower, just like any other sword.

And as I also kept saying
    YES! Exactly!
    So much this!
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/371862/additional-weapon-skill-ideas-mk-ii/p1 ;)
    But that is not how weapons work in the ESO mechanics. You -cannot- have a weapon that performs in one way in the hands of a "magica character" and in a different way in the hands of a "stamina character".
    They -can- however add a new weapon skill line, like, say, "polearms", which uses similar visuals as staves, but are different weapons that are stamina weapons.
    I would like that. (duh, see link above)
    The idea is not making magicka spells castable with stamina,but rather creating whole new weapon skil lines .
    Not what you said. And not how it works.
    Which skill line you get is entirely dependent on your -weapon type selection- in the ESO mechanics. There cannot be two skill lines for the same weapon type selection (though there can be different skill lines for different weapon type selections - like "One-handed and Magic", much like "1H&Shield" and "Dual Wield" only differ in what you have in your offhand...)

"New weapon types & skill lines" would be a good thing!
    "Stam/mag version for each weapon type" would be a bad thing!
    But since there are no other options ,they kinda get locked in that choice eventually.
    That we can agree on!
    I want more choices for magica characters!
    Spell Foci! One-handed and magic! Twin Magic! Martial Arts Magic! Whatever, really...
    But not just giving -stamina weapons- a "magica version"...
    Ardaghion wrote: »
    Pretty silly that a stamina DK has to mostly use general weapon skills and guild skills since you have a hard time restoring magicka to power the class skills.
    Not so silly.
    That's exactly how its supposed to be!
    "Szamina characters" are the warriors after all. They are -supposed- to mostly use their weapons to fight, while -magica characters- are the mages which are supposed to use a wide range of magical attacks to fight.

But as I keep saying. It -would- be nice to have a bit more choices.

Yes, I agree.
  • Tipsy
    Tipsy
    ✭✭✭
    I guess overall we have to agree to disagree.. with you or the both of you ,depending if that follow up post is a different user or not..

by that logic, any class stam morph is a mistake ;
    venom skull,blighted blastbones,skeletal archer,detonating spihon,bound armaments , hurricane, noxious breath,leeching strikes..cause they have nothing to do with muscles usage.
    While ,on the contrary,we would want more stam class morphs too.

by that logic you also say the boss in Crypt of hearts II & forge mother should never have happened because they can wield a sword by a different powersource than muscle.. It therefore is invalid to say sword usage would only be possible in the physical sense in Tamriel
    Because clearly NPCs use a different type of power to wield blades. It just doest exist yet for players as skill line as build customization option.But it possible in this fantasy realm and you can't deny that.
    Any weapon in the game can be used in the physical sense too,as any weapon can block.and even staff(a supposed 'magical" weapon can be used to block in the physical sense in close encounter.
    Who are we to say staves are superior to swords for magic usage potentials.Or axes might have other necrotic potentials staves dont have,...
    Staves might as well be used totally in the physical sense,as a Bo staff stam version.

why wouldnt it be possible to have 2 skill lines for the same weapon depending on stam/mag,if clearly both are present for each weapon in the world as mentioned previously?
    Thats like saying the same skill can never be able to have a stam AND mag morph cause its "either muscle or mind skill"
    (I don't agree with that either)

Just like in the sense a skill can have a mag/stam morph,a weapon could have a skill line depending on the powersource used to wield it.

Edited by Tipsy on August 3, 2019 10:55AM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess overall we have to agree to disagree.. with you or the both of you ,depending if that follow up post is a different user or not..
    Paranoid much? :p;)
    No, I only post under my handle and only have one forum account. ZOS knows.

But I can agree to disagree.
    All I really desire is to state my opinion, instead of keeping silent when someone posts an idea I strongly disagree with like "make all the same when it comes to weapon type"...

by that logic that any class stam morph is a mistake ;
    ...unless as I also stated before, it is a skill that fluff-wise used both magic and stamina, but due to the mechanics was set as one, just with a morph choice of "focus more on the physical part" and one "focus more on the magic part"
    Like... "magic up a weapon, then put more muscle into your strike". Or breath. Or whatever.

And I for one would NOT want more stam class morphs. I would more prefer some "stamina support guild skill line" instead... something to represent "martial arts training" in the ESO universe... or more non-weapon stamina skill lines, guild or otherwise. Athleticism. Brawling. Whatever... just -more- and -new- skills to add instead of diluting the differences!
    Because clearly NPCs use a different type of power to wield blades. It just doest exist yet for players as skill line as build customization option.
    As I said.
    Orsinium. Crafted. Set.
    Go look it up!
    why wouldnt it be possible to have 2 skill lines for the same weapon depending on stam/mag...
    Because the game mechanics select your available weapon skills depending on what weapon types you are holding. And is not really set up for this.
    Sure, it could be coded. Most everything can.

But why?

What benefit would it be, except diluting the differences? Why would you even -want- to have all characters be the same? After all, the differences in setup is what makes tzhe game fun! Otherwise you could go play Team Fortress or something where you get premade types anyhow...

And moreso, what would be the benefit to ZOS to spend resources coding this, then more resources fixing the code that got broken rewriting this?
    Would it not be far easier for them to just -add- a new weapon skill line (or a dozend) without the confusion in some new expansion? Including perhaps some actually -magical- weapons for mages to get some choice? And then see everyone who wants that pay for this so they get more profit?
  • Tipsy
    Tipsy
    ✭✭✭
    The different powersource would wield the weapon with different mechanics ,as you can see in the example pics I shared .
    So in no way would all weapon type become the same for stam /mag.There would be more diversity& more build costumization
    & personal flavor options for players
    That "it would make all the same" is just your false belief in my view
    No need to go back an forth with you over this any further
    Edited by Tipsy on August 3, 2019 11:15AM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The different powersource would wield the weapon with different mechanics ,as you can see in the example pics I shared .
    Oh?
    The nice pictures aside...
    like a sorcerer creating illusion copies of the sword in mag version:
    ...that's a nightblade thing, they have the "illusion" thing with "Shadow" skill line. AND use magicked up red daggers.
    Or the necromancer using corpse energy to wield the greatsword
    ...strangely, they use corpse energy to magic up a scythe. Must be a "reaper-themed" thing (or perhaps copied from some other game... the devil might know...)
    While a warden might be able to fortify the sword with spikes or vines
    ...which might make for a nice -enchantment rune- but that's it.

And as I had also said, IF there was some sort of "Telekinetic Magic" skill line... what would be a better use for a mage, carry a sword with them to wield telekinetically, or just force-choke their enemy? Or pick up a pebble to telekinetically fling it at them with bullet force? Throw them over a ledge telekinatically? Slam them into the ground?
    BtW, adding a "Kinetic Magic" skill line would be an idea I'd support - as long as its used right and not for swordsmanship! ;)
    No need to go back an forth with you over this any further
    Agreed. I think we both said our piece. Lets leave it at that.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    While there still needs to be a magicka melee weapon, we don't need every weapon and skill to be both. Everyone would just run whichever thing was 0.3% more powerful.

If you want to mix up mag and stam weapons and abilities, I recommend Pelinals. Stack weapon damage and then you magicka attacks will also hit hard.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Conjured weapons as seen in Skyrim are actually in the game. Go start a fight with the Mage's Guild...
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No | To ZOS: THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME BRING MY HORSE INTO BATTLE!
  • Gatviper
    Gatviper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even Gandalf was using a sword in a great battle. Sword can be very easily a magicka weapon, since it can shoot beams and what not off just as well as staves. Imagine weaving in a sword light beam, who's to say that only staves should be magicka weapons?
    Life is a ride, like days in a train, cities rush by, like ghosts in the night.
    The rhythm of wheels, time fades away, stations of a journey, destination unknown.
  • Tipsy
    Tipsy
    ✭✭✭
    tumblr_inline_o5qn02n6HD1slrvm0_1280.jpg
    Yea, Gandalf also used a sword together with a staff. Judging by the responses here by some ,some might say "Staff is only twohanded in eso,1 hand muscles would be too weak to handle a staff in one hand" or " staff is magical weapon,sword muscle"Obviously the battlemage & spellsword are completely forgotten.. And the combination of both would obviously be viable .Look at some of the Class descriptions in Oblivion for example:

"Spellsword
    Nimbler and more athletic than the sorcerer, and better suited for spell-casting than the knight,
    the attacks of a Spellsword are unpredictable. Spellswords are great students of combat and magic.
    Serving as warrior-mages, they dedicate their lives to learning both the art of war and the ethereal ways of power.
    Spellswords are adept at all types of weapons and armor utilization, and are extremely versatile in combat situations.
    This pre-made class has appeared in almost every Elder Scrolls game in the series."

"Battlemage
    is a class in various Elder Scrolls games. They commonly focus on combat using both magic spells, as well as blunt and blade weapons.
    Battlemages are a deadly mix of scholar and soldier, and are trained to utilize offensive spells during combat. In such situations, battlemages have few equals.
    These adventurers prefer to remain on the offensive and dispatch a target quickly rather than waiting on their opponent to make a mistake.
    They are also capable alchemists that use potions and poisons to give them an extra edge in battle."

" The Crusader class is a pre-made class who relies primarily on maces and warhammers to beat their opponents into submission,
    but are also just as happy to throw some devastating magic into their faces as well.
    A Crusader protects themselves with a wall of steel and is skilled at healing whatever wounds they take in battle."

Now with the Crusader some might Argue " Ah but that is a Templar" To me it ain't,cause to me a Crusader casts more spells than holy/aedric magic & is way more versatile, casting magic of many different schools.
    220px-CrusadersOfMightAndMagicBox.jpg

Now ,they could cover these playstyles by providing alternate skill lines for magical use of weapons.
    They might as well add some of these classes in the future too,or add them as unlockable skill lines where you need to go through some training to unlock the new potentials of the weapon used by the order. There are several ways it could be done

• TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Spellsword
    "Battlemage
    " The Crusader
    All those were -hybrid- characters, trained in both magic and weapons

Which is totally doable in ESO!
    Just... not very effective.
    And I really wish it was effective again, at least viable enough to be competetive compared to more specialized builds...
    Alas!
    Now with the Crusader some might Argue " Ah but that is a Templar" To me it ain't,cause to me a Crusader casts more spells than holy/aedric magic & is way more versatile, casting magic of many different schools.
    220px-CrusadersOfMightAndMagicBox.jpg
    For you, perhaps. In the TES lore... "Crusaders" would be more like Templars specializing in both Aedric war-spells and weapon skills I guess.

Also... you -are- aware "Might&Magic" is an entirely different background/universe, yes? Not the best pick for examples when it comes to the Elder Scrolls universe...
    Now ,they could cover these playstyles by providing alternate skill lines for magical use of weapons.
    They already cover those playstyles. Just make a hybrid character.

What would be useful were more different skill lines. Not "use the same weapon type in magica" but "add a new skill line for new weapon types/combinations" like... One-handed and Magic for example.
    They might as well add some of these classes in the future too,or add them as unlockable skill lines where you need to go through some training to unlock the new potentials of the weapon used by the order.
    You really are trying to push my bottons, huh?

New classes would be -awful-!
    Sure, the new players would like it... but many of the old hands like me who have been playing lots of characters since 2014 would HATE the idea with a passion, for reasons of "why do I have to make yet another alt just to enjoy new classyness" and worse for reasons of "Why the [censored] was that [censored] class not [censored] available at [censored] launch, it [censored] would have made so much more [censored] sense for that [censored] main of mine! [censored]! [censored]! [censored]!!!"

Much better to add stuff that can be -refitted- to any character...
  • Tipsy
    Tipsy
    ✭✭✭
    Hybridization is a first step towards giving the players that love hybrid classes some love.
    And its to satisfy hybrid lovers that their favored weapons need a skill line in the alternative source
    & classes need more morphs to play with in the alternate resource pool
    As clearly it isn't effective nor viable to be competitive compared to the pure /specialized builds.
    Cause if it ain't viable its a waste of time to go for a gimped hybrid in endgame settings.(or should i say vet trials and dungeons as everything is endgame at this poin)
    The truth of the matter is that stam/mag versions for each weapon would be a first step towards
    making hybrids viable ,along with new morphs that are no longer a no-brainers for the pure builds.
    In reality this makes deeper customization more a reality than the illusion it is now.
    And the alternate weapon skill line idea for stam/mag could probably save that reroll that makes you so mad.think about that :D
    Just enroll with the desired order and go on the journey to train your new weapon arts :D:D
    Edited by Tipsy on August 4, 2019 3:47PM