The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Make the healers great again] How to resolve the DPS vs HEALER issue

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    troomar wrote: »
    @idk

A moderator already deleted or edited most of your posts in my previous topic, because you were insulting. You do the same in this one again. Just stop it please.

And I won't answer any of your questions just because how you behave. Remember it was you who started attacking me and calling me being inexperienced, having limited view of healing, having to prove you something and other things. All of that on false base or simply a lie, because you don't know me, you don't know my group and my achievements. If you are rude and insulting, don't expect other people to react differently.

You're not in a position to demand anything. Sorry to say it like that.

This is a mischaracterization. The moderators removed a string of responses from both of us and you are being part of that once again. I expect they will do it again here because you are making personal and derailing your thread as you did before.

Of course you to not have to reply to any of the valid points I made but this thread will die out like the other one as a result. Not a single post after I made the last one.
    Edited by idk on July 29, 2019 10:04PM
  • Sacredx
    Sacredx
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    People even start thinking about replacing healers in trials with Circle of Protection and Vigor spam from damage dealers effectively getting more DPS in the process, while tanks would be able to provide sustain for all DPS (casting 1 orb).

First of all, OP is creating a false narrative suggesting people are looking at replacing healers in trials. I would suggest OP is not experienced in the more challenging content of this game, vet trials, as there is the trinity is very much in place there. It would not increase dps with the buffs healers provide being lost and the additional time required for dps to heal themselves and more. Combat Prayer adds 8% damage to the group.

I would like to see OP prove me wrong by bringing in a raid leader for a vet trial group looking to do vSS, vCR+3, vS+2 or vHoF HM without a healer.

Second, it appears OP has a every limited view of healing being they want to force all healers to use an rStaff. I have known players who mained a healer and never lvled up an rstaff. It can be done on a Templar though they do not do the most challenging content like the newer vet trials.

Third, OP is missing the reason why some dungeon groups can clear the content without a dedicated healer. They are very skilled players and can avoid most of the damage through skilled gameplay. Most groups cannot do that and it certainly cannot be done in the newer vet trials.

You obviously did not watch the popular healer video posted by a class rep, which is kind of odd as you usually post everywhere. Must have slipped through the cracks I guess :). I suggest you go watch it.

Anyway the class rep raises serious concerns regarding the role of healers and whether they are going to be required. He goes on to say that almost all content could probably be done without a healer role.

Here is his words verbatim:
    Nefas wrote: »
    1) The Healer playstyle regardless of class is simple, straightforward, boring, there is not much room for skill-play nor a semblance of a skill ceiling any more as the playstyle is too generic.

2) The new playstyle opens up new possibilities, new raid-play, new builds and compositions for healers or raid teams who wish to completely forgo traditional healers.

3) Healer role further excluded from content if changes as is go live.

4) Orb Change (multiple synergies off of one orb)/Other Changes (such as Budding Seeds, Barrier, etc) are absolutely fantastic.

5) Healing is still fine for most content except two fights (vHoF HM execute, vSunspire Lokkestiiz HM)...but the level of healing needed for most content doesn't need to be delegated to actual healers...and you won't really need actual healers to do serious healing as of the PTS Week 3 which only exacerbates #3[/center]

I added the bold to highlight the important bits. The other point worth mentioning as he has not done in the text, but he has in the video is that his perspective is from an average group, not high end skilled players (ie. most of the community).

That should answer all of your points.
    PC NA PvP Oceanic
    The Kelly Gang [TKG]
    Highest kill streak: https://i.imgur.com/V6jJhoy.png
    KB sample: https://i.imgur.com/n7TFyZr.png
    TKG raid sample: https://youtube.com/watch?v=RkrsHg3T7pc
  • Shaloknir
    Shaloknir
    ✭✭✭
    Why do we need healers at all? It's so d&d. In my opinion healing is boring and tedious. Maybe eso is better off with self sustaining classes and no forced healer role in groups.
  • Sacredx
    Sacredx
    ✭✭✭
    Shaloknir wrote: »
    Why do we need healers at all? It's so d&d. In my opinion healing is boring and tedious. Maybe eso is better off with self sustaining classes and no forced healer role in groups.

Because there are lots of people that enjoy the healer role?
    PC NA PvP Oceanic
    The Kelly Gang [TKG]
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sacredx wrote: »
    People even start thinking about replacing healers in trials with Circle of Protection and Vigor spam from damage dealers effectively getting more DPS in the process, while tanks would be able to provide sustain for all DPS (casting 1 orb).

First of all, OP is creating a false narrative suggesting people are looking at replacing healers in trials. I would suggest OP is not experienced in the more challenging content of this game, vet trials, as there is the trinity is very much in place there. It would not increase dps with the buffs healers provide being lost and the additional time required for dps to heal themselves and more. Combat Prayer adds 8% damage to the group.

I would like to see OP prove me wrong by bringing in a raid leader for a vet trial group looking to do vSS, vCR+3, vS+2 or vHoF HM without a healer.

Second, it appears OP has a every limited view of healing being they want to force all healers to use an rStaff. I have known players who mained a healer and never lvled up an rstaff. It can be done on a Templar though they do not do the most challenging content like the newer vet trials.

Third, OP is missing the reason why some dungeon groups can clear the content without a dedicated healer. They are very skilled players and can avoid most of the damage through skilled gameplay. Most groups cannot do that and it certainly cannot be done in the newer vet trials.

You obviously did not watch the popular healer video posted by a class rep, which is kind of odd as you usually post everywhere. Must have slipped through the cracks I guess :). I suggest you go watch it.

Anyway the class rep raises serious concerns regarding the role of healers and whether they are going to be required. He goes on to say that almost all content could probably be done without a healer role.

1) The Healer playstyle regardless of class is simple, straightforward, boring, there is not much room for skill-play nor a semblance of a skill ceiling any more as the playstyle is too generic.

2) The new playstyle opens up new possibilities, new raid-play, new builds and compositions for healers or raid teams who wish to completely forgo traditional healers.

4) Orb Change (multiple synergies off of one orb)/Other Changes (such as Budding Seeds, Barrier, etc) are absolutely fantastic.

5) Healing is still fine for most content except two fights (vHoF HM execute, vSunspire Lokkestiiz HM)...but the level of healing needed for most content doesn't need to be delegated to actual healers...and you won't really need actual healers to do serious healing as of the PTS Week 3 which only exacerbates #3[/center]

I added the bold to highlight the important bits. The other point worth mentioning as he has not done in the text, but he has in the video is that his perspective is from an average group, not high end skilled players (ie. most of the community).

TBF, the first point you highlight is if the PTS changes go live. That and the second point you made bold are also speaking of the most skilled players in the game and does not take into account the average player. It does not even take into account the average player clearing the more challenging content. Which is one of the pointes I have made here.

Further, as I have pointed out before, the healing role in this game does not require a restoration staff. Of course healers healing the most challenging content do use them but there are players that do not. The suggestion in this thread is one to force all healers to use rstaffs.

Additionally, much of the reason skilled players can skip the healer role in a lot of content is the ability to avoid damage altogether. I have been through most rounds of vDSA without having to heal much with groups skilled at avoiding damage and I am not talking about self healing.

And in all of this I have not even mentioned the effects this idea would have on PvP. The idea would harm stam builds to a greater degree than magicka builds.
  • Sacredx
    Sacredx
    ✭✭✭

TBF, the first point you highlight is if the PTS changes go live. That and the second point you made bold are also speaking of the most skilled players in the game and does not take into account the average player. It does not even take into account the average player clearing the more challenging content. Which is one of the pointes I have made here.

Further, as I have pointed out before, the healing role in this game does not require a restoration staff. Of course healers healing the most challenging content do use them but there are players that do not. The suggestion in this thread is one to force all healers to use rstaffs.

Additionally, much of the reason skilled players can skip the healer role in a lot of content is the ability to avoid damage altogether. I have been through most rounds of vDSA without having to heal much with groups skilled at avoiding damage and I am not talking about self healing.

And in all of this I have not even mentioned the effects this idea would have on PvP. The idea would harm stam builds to a greater degree than magicka builds.

I think you missed the point:
    his perspective is from an average group, not high end skilled players (ie. most of the community).

PC NA PvP Oceanic
    The Kelly Gang [TKG]
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you missed the point:
    his perspective is from an average group, not high end skilled players (ie. most of the community).

I did not see where Nefas suggests a very significant nerf to all heals in the game then adding a buff to the rStaff that significantly increases all healing done for a few seconds after an rStaff skill is sued.

I happen to know a couple Templar healers that have healed even vet Craglorn trials without ever leveling up an rStaff. The idea in this thread would make that impossible and would force them to start using an rStaff.

It would make healing the only role in the game that required the use of a specific weapon. I really do not understand why you are supporting such a restrictive build type in an ESO game. I could understand it if this was WoW/FF/SWTOR that have archetype builds to begin with, but not here.
  • satanio
    satanio
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would make healing the only role in the game that required the use of a specific weapon.
    <tanks>
    Current public stam parses on Iron Atro so far (esologs)
    DW&Bow
    DW&2H
    2H&Bow
    Bow&Bow

Current public mag parses on Iron Atro (esologs)
    (non cheese)
    ESOLEAKS CASUALTIES:
    Checkmath
    Tasear
    RIP
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    satanio wrote: »
    It would make healing the only role in the game that required the use of a specific weapon.
    <tanks>
    • I have seen people tank successfully with 2H weapons. It only requires a taunt.
    • I have seen a magicka dps tank the final boss in Bloodroot Forge HM after the tank using S&B kept failing. Yes, the group had a dedicated healer and the dps that was tanking was a very skilled player. The entire group was skilled.
    • Even in trials tanks tend to use a dStaff on the back bar and do not put points into the passives that would make it a tanking weapon.

So no, tanks are not forced to use a specific weapon and I am not even getting into the fact they have two choices (though one is not very good). The issue is not healing by any means. It is how the damage is dealt. Heck, my main issue with healing in this game is it is boring and has been since day one. Even Nefas agrees it is boring.

Edit: Sorc tank in BRF HM was pre shield nerf, but still in DPS build. I do not wish to be misleading.
    Edited by idk on July 30, 2019 8:22PM
  • troomar
    troomar
    ✭✭✭✭

This was one of the sources of information that groups think about the replacement of healers. Actually this has been already happening on Live for some time. Solo healing Craglorn trials is a common thing. It just hasn't happened to the harder trials yet. And it, of course, doesn't mean it will happen eventually.

So thank you for providing additional information and sources.

To sum it up:

There are many reasons why healers are being replaced by DPS now, not all of them are relevant to my suggestion. And the change I was proposing wouldn't resolve it.
    Like the experienced groups in dungeons idk pointed out. The healer is replaced by DPS, because most of the damage can be avoided, not healed through. Hovewer, all DDs have some kind of self heal and one of the DPS has a backup burst heal, because mistakes happen. My change would make these runs harder.
    Yes.
  • Sacredx
    Sacredx
    ✭✭✭
    The more you phase out healers then less of them there will be, which is not the point of this game. It's meant to be a balance between tank healer and dps. Right now it is skewed heavily towards dps as the dominant part and looks like this will be even worse after patch.

I have provided many examples of many people saying the same thing. That is: Healers will be less relevant. And that's the main point that the developers need to address.
    PC NA PvP Oceanic
    The Kelly Gang [TKG]
  • Bustincapps
    What if ZoS removed spell and weapon damage from the healing done formula? If Zos added powered jewelry enchants stacked with the mundus and powered weapons people would still be able to off heal but make it preferred to have a dedicated spec'd healer.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if ZoS removed spell and weapon damage from the healing done formula? If Zos added powered jewelry enchants stacked with the mundus and powered weapons people would still be able to off heal but make it preferred to have a dedicated spec'd healer.

The reason I play healer instead of tank is that my healer can do enough damage to comfortably solo and enough heals to comfortably heal groups. A big reason is because the same fuel (magicka and spell damage) that fuels her heals also fuels her damage. What you propose would render both healing and soloing less fun enough that she would absolutely abandon healing and join the throngs of dps that are the game's favored children.

PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Bustincapps
    The fun would remain the same. The requirement is a gear swap for the two different roles. For much of the end game group content support sets are recommended for healing and damage sets for dps roles anyway. Tanks are already in the same boat for gear requirements.
  • Bustincapps

The reason I play healer instead of tank is that my healer can do enough damage to comfortably solo and enough heals to comfortably heal groups. A big reason is because the same fuel (magicka and spell damage) that fuels her heals also fuels her damage. What you propose would render both healing and soloing less fun enough that she would absolutely abandon healing and join the throngs of dps that are the game's favored children.

Healers are already at risk of being marginalised from group content with the current strength of shields and self heals. You might as well just role dps as things are. Reducing the strength of healing unless spec'd for it at least allows for dedicated healing to remain relevant.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The only content in the game that requires a dedicated spec'd healer is PVE dungeons, trials, and 4-man arenas. Please note when making suggestions like this that overland questing, Maelstrom Arena, Battlegrounds, Cyrodiil, and Imperial City are also content in ESO and none of those have any expectation that you are grouped with a dedicated spec'd healer, often leaving you entirely reliant on your own self-heals by design.
  • Bustincapps

The only content in the game that requires a dedicated spec'd healer is PVE dungeons, trials, and 4-man arenas. Please note when making suggestions like this that overland questing, Maelstrom Arena, Battlegrounds, Cyrodiil, and Imperial City are also content in ESO and none of those have any expectation that you are grouped with a dedicated spec'd healer, often leaving you entirely reliant on your own self-heals by design.

Max stat would still be part of the formula. Removing or lowering the effect of weapon and spell damage will just tone down the potency of self healing.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buff the ritual mundus (say double, to 20%, 30% with all divines) and the +healing done set bonuses (to 4%). If to make healers relevant the buff would be so strong that DDs suddenly start using ritual too, buff the other mundus stones too, so that the damage benefit from them would be too much to pass up. To prevent tanks from preferring healing done over healing received bonuses, buff those too (to 5%).

This healing buff is sorely needed anyways judging by what we see on PTS, and it would result in enough healing power difference between DDs and healers to make healers much more desirable than they are now.

In new content introduce more frequent difficult or impossible to avoid non-lethal damage, so that DDs who try to heal either can't sustain it or give up more than 33% of their DPS to keep up (or both).
  • Jpk0012
    Jpk0012
    ✭✭✭✭

The major problem is the constant power creeping, a couple of years ago 30-40k was top, now the top is at +80k, my stamwarden hits 60k on the trial dummy and that is with a rotation that I'm pretty bad at. Since heals gets stronger with more power it also gets higher for dds, making a dds survivability good enough for most vet content except for the harder vet trials. So for most part of the game healers are completely unnecessary and if the changes to healers next patch goes live, they'll be even more worthless.
    I can't wait until they change the entire CP system and hopefully nerfs it's effect big time and adds something else to it.

I like the system, but it was a inevitable we would get here sooner or later.

You know how a normal MMO counters the power creep? They get expansions and DLCs that increase the difficulty and the rewards. ESO's DLCs offer increased difficulty, but there is no point running a lot of the DLC because you get worse gear than the original content.

ESO just prefers to nerf players. Innovative.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Power creep seems to apply primarily to higher end players. While CP contributes to power creep for high end players, it also contributes to power creep for long term casual players so is actually available to all players who stick around the game for a long time. My concern, frankly, is not as much power creep as the ever increasing gap between new/casuals and higher end players. While I have watched top end players grow their dps from 30k to 90k, I have watched new/casuals stuck below 20k with no progression.

Obviously, rotation practice, knowledge and experience factor big here but I think there are two things that strongly help higher end players that new/casuals don't do or have very good access to. The first is willingness/knowledge to AC/weave and the second is access to top gear sets beyond crafted/overland.

Though not popular to say so, if I were trying to address the ever growing gap between higher end players and new/casuals I'd take a look at working on animation cancelling so it literally stops any attack if you cancel it for a higher priority requirement like block/dodgeroll/bar swap. Secondly, I'd take a hard look at armor/weapon sets that most casuals will never see. I'd love to hear some other/better options for reducing the huge (and growing) gap between higher end and new/casual players.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on August 2, 2019 1:37AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • troomar
    troomar
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZeroXFF wrote: »
    Buff the ritual mundus (say double, to 20%, 30% with all divines) and the +healing done set bonuses (to 4%). If to make healers relevant the buff would be so strong that DDs suddenly start using ritual too, buff the other mundus stones too, so that the damage benefit from them would be too much to pass up. To prevent tanks from preferring healing done over healing received bonuses, buff those too (to 5%).

This healing buff is sorely needed anyways judging by what we see on PTS, and it would result in enough healing power difference between DDs and healers to make healers much more desirable than they are now.

In new content introduce more frequent difficult or impossible to avoid non-lethal damage, so that DDs who try to heal either can't sustain it or give up more than 33% of their DPS to keep up (or both).

This is similar to my suggestion - to widen the gap in healing between DPS and true dedicated healers, so DPS without commitment to healing department won't be much effective in healing. The difference is that your suggestion is all about passive abilities and passive bonuses. While you don't introduce any restrictions, you don't add any fun for healers either. And that's what I tried.

Tanks play mini games with bosses (blocking, dodging, sustaining, surviving) or adds (many trials have adds so a second tank keeps them occupied), DPS play mini games with vMA dw and sets (Relequen, AY, TFS, Loket...) and measure their <snap> (numbers), why can't give healers something more too? Healers have only buffs uptime mini game (like 2 buffs), why don't give them a real mini game that is tied to healing?

My suggestion is only a simple one, but I believe ZoS could come up with more ideas - proc sets for healers (+X % to heal for 1 second if you've critically healed in the last second ... whatever), more self buffs etc. But before we can do that we have to solve the main problem - the difference between a dedicated healer and DPS is that healers wear support sets while DPS wear DPS sets. They are the same.
    Yes.