The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Returning Magblade...

• Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Found something i like.
    I call it the sixth sense magicka nightblade.

44 magicka 10 health 10 stamina
    Crafty + necro+ chudan/pirate.
    Full impen 5 l/2h

Nirn ice front (disease) defending resto back bar (berserker)
    2x swift, lady mundus.
    All magicka recovery glyphs
    Trifood,
    Trash blue, immovable detect or spellpower pots

Lotus fan, mass hysteria, blockade, concealed, merciless, tether
    Elusive mist(or rat) cloak, shade, ward, harness, panacea.

Edited by Metemsycosis on August 3, 2019 6:58PM
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gilliamtherogue ( you’re probably already aware of these things I play a mag blade and just wanted to provide some notes)

So I’ve been playing BG’s with friends who are at the highest MMR & somehow whenever I play with them it puts me on their level/against people at their level.

What I’ve found from playing against them is:
    1 ) They all have some sort of mitigation either 5 piece or heavy armor or block casting or lots of dodge roll/cloak

2 ) 90% of magic players are healers, rarely you will run into a Magden running permafrost, a magdk, & Sometimes a sorc.

3 ) Most damage is passive based such as:
    Bleeds, noxious breath, or other dots & aoe

4 ) they all have around 26K+ health (except maybe some stamblades that could run ~24k)

5 ) Most are running some type of cheese:
    Ability to hit 2x dizzy swing in 1 animation
    Chokethorn + ( I cant remember the other thing they paired, maybe resto ult? )

6 ) They all play very tight to their group & mostly never stray.

7) They focus a single target down & move to the next.

Some of these things may be common sense, some require comms, some are the faults of the devs & could be labeled as ‘cancerous individuals’ for taking advantage of broken/op skills/mechanics.

While I haven’t figured out the most optimal setup for dealing with them here are the notes I’ve come up with:

Use wall/blockade of elements, you have to keep aoe dot pressure on them & make them move where you want them to go.
    Undecided if maelstrom staff is required but probably.

Use Destro ult, I still have the pve morph but so far I’m of the opinion it’s superior b/c you force them to either fight inside or or move which throws off their plan/momentum.
    Veil of blades could be an alternate but I haven’t tested.

Swallow soul is the preferred spammable because you need the ranged pressure & hots.

It should already be common knowledge that either race against time or phantasmal escape is a requirement.

Shadowy disguise is far superior to dark cloak because of the ability for them to miss attacks which is greater than the healing you would receive otherwise . (But, be mindful there may exist many things pulling you out of cloak that probably shouldn’t)

Snares and roots are still plentiful combined with high dot pressure, good stamina sustain is a must. You’re often going to find someone on top of you and if you happen to be stunned and your shield falls off you will die guaranteed.

It’s very much so a “long game”, Or more trying to have the match end in a tie rather than winning or losing.
    What I mean by this is “sustained pressure” is more preferred than high damage.
    So I believe it goes like this:
    Mitigation
    Resource Sustain
    Dot/set pressure, so all the killing is done by gear + dots (even weak ones) & they just have to survive.

And that’s all that’s important & in that order.
    Any “high damage” comes from timed ultimates & executes; so impale is probably required.
    There may be more information but this is all I can think of at the moment. This is specifically around the highest MMR battlegrounds all other battlegrounds you can pretty much do a high so low damage built and have some success and fun.

These highest MMR battlegrounds are basically not enjoyable because the types of cancer that are allowed and the seriousness of the players to win at any cost.
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »
    @Gilliamtherogue ( you’re probably already aware of these things I play a mag blade and just wanted to provide some notes)

So I’ve been playing BG’s with friends who are at the highest MMR & somehow whenever I play with them it puts me on their level/against people at their level.

1 ) They all have some sort of mitigation either 5 piece or heavy armor or block casting or lots of dodge roll/cloak

2 ) 90% of magic players are healers, rarely you will run into a Magden running permafrost, a magdk, & Sometimes a sorc.

4 ) they all have around 26K+ health (except maybe some stamblades that could run ~24k)

Some of these things may be common sense, some require comms, some are the faults of the devs & could be labeled as ‘cancerous individuals’ for taking advantage of broken/op skills/mechanics.

While I haven’t figured out the most optimal setup for dealing with them here are the notes I’ve come up with:

Use wall/blockade of elements, you have to keep aoe dot pressure on them & make them move where you want them to go.

Use Destro ult, I still have the pve morph but so far I’m of the opinion it’s superior b/c you force them to either fight inside or or move which throws off their plan/momentum.

Swallow soul is the preferred spammable because you need the ranged pressure & hots.

It should already be common knowledge that either race against time or phantasmal escape is a requirement.

Shadowy disguise is far superior to dark cloak because of the ability for them to miss attacks which is greater than the healing you would receive otherwise . (But, be mindful there may exist many things pulling you out of cloak that probably shouldn’t)

Snares and roots are still plentiful combined with high dot pressure, good stamina sustain is a must. You’re often going to find someone on top of you and if you happen to be stunned and your shield falls off you will die guaranteed.

It’s very much so a “long game”, Or more trying to have the match end in a tie rather than winning or losing.
    Mitigation
    Resource Sustain
    Dot/set pressure, so all the killing is done by gear + dots (even weak ones) & they just have to survive.

Any “high damage” comes from timed ultimates & executes; so impale is probably required.
    There may be more information but this is all I can think of at the moment. This is specifically around the highest MMR battlegrounds all other battlegrounds you can pretty much do a high so low damage built and have some success and fun.

These highest MMR battlegrounds are basically not enjoyable because the types of cancer that are allowed and the seriousness of the players to win at any cost.

I don’t know if I agree with some of the things you’ve said:
    - if people are really serious that’s your friends and not necessarily the tier
    - mitigation is key yes
    - fights last longer so yes, sustain’s more important
    - snares and roots are plentiful, you can get by without them. I used to use ice wall of elements but recently dropped it
    - Impale’s awesome yes, kill stealing is one of magblade’s strengths with impale
    - Not everyone is a healer, but cross healing and using a lot of healing abilities is powerful. Burst combos/Ult dumps work because of the stun. If people cross heal you can heal through the burst
    - dark cloak is better then shadowy disguise right now in BGs. Aoes are really powerful so cloak just doesn’t work well
    - About ‘highest MMR battlegrounds’. What you get is who’s on. The game will fill if there aren’t enough higher tiered players, that’s when you get glassy builds who just get wrecked in BGs. They might do well in more middle tiers but do horribly when people can counter their burst
    Edited by Iskiab on August 4, 2019 4:46AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, I guess I haven’t played with dark cloak enough I’ve just always felt the heal is bad, but maybe stacked with enough other heals it’s fine.

The more I play in these higher mmr fights the more I feel like I’m forced to play a cookie cutter magblade to be successful.

I’m thinking of swapping my dk to stam in order to “play the way I want”, & still be successful.
    Edited by kaithuzar on August 4, 2019 6:07AM
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

Mitigation
    Resource Sustain

- mitigation is key yes
    - snares and roots are plentiful, you can get by without them. I used to use ice wall of elements but recently dropped it
    - Impale’s awesome yes, kill stealing is one of magblade’s strengths with impale
    - Not everyone is a healer, but cross healing and using a lot of healing abilities is powerful. Burst combos/Ult dumps work because of the stun. If people cross heal you can heal through the burst
    - dark cloak is better then shadowy disguise right now in BGs. Aoes are really powerful so cloak just doesn’t work well
    - About ‘highest MMR battlegrounds’. What you get is who’s on. The game will fill if there aren’t enough higher tiered players, that’s when you get glassy builds who just get wrecked in BGs. They might do well in more middle tiers but do horribly when people can counter their burst

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I don't think you can disagree with the more general overall point he's making, if not the specific points. Which is to say, the meta of high-end play is boring as hell.

Honestly? It really is. You only have fun at the low/middle tiers against casuals, and the more try-hards you come up against the less fun it is. And that's not just QQ "I'm getting beaten!" it's a direct "Oh. This is how it plays now? Yeah, no thanks." as soon as you hit that higher MMR.

Battlegrounds now, in no-CP, feels exactly the same as it did in the old CP battlegrounds. Changing it back to no-CP solved the problem for a while, but it looks like the changes made since I've been away brought that all back.
    Edited by Vermintide on August 4, 2019 9:22AM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I love higher MMR BGs, and actually dislike the middle/lower tiers. When you first start BGs it’s like baby seal clubbing so not too much fun.

In the middle tiers people have perfected their burst but there are too many glassy builds. A lot of people don’t stick together too. They’re actually the ones I dislike the most as a healer - team mates are unhealable, people in solo style specs meant to delete or be deleted in a GCD or two. I can’t really heal them and feel ineffective. Too many 1vX players.

In the higher tiers people are healable, tons of wardens and people play tight and together.

You can make an easy comparison to pve in a sense. In a pve dungeon if the group runs in every which direction, no one sticks together and picks their own targets you aren’t going to do well. Some people might be happy they could solo one mob themselves but you’re overall weaker.

Pvp’s the same. If you all attack one target it will die faster, and individually it’s not as important to kill one person solo. Then add cross healing, good positioning from awareness so you don’t get sandwiched, enough mitigation so you’re ungankable and can he helped by team mates and you have a winning combination.

That’s why people push back against complaints about premades. Team work is overpowered, it’s not people playing together on coms that makes a good group, it’s people playing a spec that synergizes with team mates - like a healer. That’s also why people dislike NBs so much. It’s not that they can’t play this way, but NBs typically don’t play this way.

I’d stick with NB. Magblade is still one of the most versatile classes, so while it’s true it’s easier to play tanky as a DK, as a magblade you can be tanky, or glassy, or a healer, ranged, melee... the versatility is what makes the class good. It’s very easy to adapt to your environment... if you have the skill points.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 4, 2019 11:25AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭

Mitigation
    Resource Sustain

- mitigation is key yes

That’s why when people get upset about premades you get so much pushback. Team work is overpowered, it’s not people playing together on coms that makes a good group, it’s people playing a spec that synergizes with team mates - like a healer. That’s also why you people dislike NBs so much. It’s not that they can’t play this way, but NBs typically don’t play this way.

That's what it comes down to, at the end of the day, you are right.

But you have to ask yourself if that's the player's fault. You have to ask, if someone WANTS to play a nightblade because nightblades are a fast, deadly assassin archetype- How likely are they to be disappointed when it turns out the endgame (PVP) meta is to be a tanky group-support focussed build? Especially when other classes, without doubt, simply do that far better.

Can you blame them for suddenly thinking "what the hell, this doesn't make sense" and calling for nerfs/buffs?

Don't get me wrong a team playing together and co-ordinating themselves should be rewarded with better success, that's common sense. But you can't pretend that is, in its own right, some kind of higher skill. It's not, it's easy. You don't have to be actually good at the game, you just need a healer and the ability to focus one player at a time. And it's boring as hell.

I guess my problem is that I enjoy this game when the circumstances are just right, but these circumstances are too rare. The other night I had a perfect, close-run BG match where each team had a good mix of classes, I don't think any had a dedicated healer but were all supporting one another with resto staff/vigor use, they were playing tight but there were still some nice 1v1 skirmishes between spawns etc, it was great fun. It was challenging and my team eventually won by only 10 points, and you could feel how everyone was enjoying it and focusing up to do better.

That's how I want BGs to feel, but instead, at the top end, it's just a miniature version of the stale Cyro zerg meta.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vermintide wrote: »

Mitigation
    Resource Sustain

- mitigation is key yes

That’s why when people get upset about premades you get so much pushback. Team work is overpowered, it’s not people playing together on coms that makes a good group, it’s people playing a spec that synergizes with team mates - like a healer. That’s also why you people dislike NBs so much. It’s not that they can’t play this way, but NBs typically don’t play this way.

That's what it comes down to, at the end of the day, you are right.

But you have to ask yourself if that's the player's fault. You have to ask, if someone WANTS to play a nightblade because nightblades are a fast, deadly assassin archetype- How likely are they to be disappointed when it turns out the endgame (PVP) meta is to be a tanky group-support focussed build? Especially when other classes, without doubt, simply do that far better.

Can you blame them for suddenly thinking "what the hell, this doesn't make sense" and calling for nerfs/buffs?

Don't get me wrong a team playing together and co-ordinating themselves should be rewarded with better success, that's common sense. But you can't pretend that is, in its own right, some kind of higher skill. It's not, it's easy. You don't have to be actually good at the game, you just need a healer and the ability to focus one player at a time. And it's boring as hell.

I guess my problem is that I enjoy this game when the circumstances are just right, but these circumstances are too rare. The other night I had a perfect, close-run BG match where each team had a good mix of classes, I don't think any had a dedicated healer but were all supporting one another with resto staff/vigor use, they were playing tight but there were still some nice 1v1 skirmishes between spawns etc, it was great fun. It was challenging and my team eventually won by only 10 points, and you could feel how everyone was enjoying it and focusing up to do better.

That's how I want BGs to feel, but instead, at the top end, it's just a miniature version of the stale Cyro zerg meta.

Hum, I get what you’re saying. Some 1vX types who play in CP mentioned they have to go glassy to secure kills solo.

Actually the groups who cross heal with no dedicated healer do the best. Or maybe one 1/2 1/2 dps/healer with two off healing. I used to dedicated heal but the scores suck. I switched to mixing up damage and healing and it’s far stronger, because you heal when it’s needed and help burst when needed. My only damaging attacks are elemental ring with BRP destro, lotus fan and impale, but it’s enough to help secure kills with added pressure... just not solo kills unless it’s against potatoes. I love games with cross healing, I’ll go like 10-1 because I can use damage abilities more.

Magblade in cyrodiil and BGs can be done as an assassin too, you just have to be balanced. One defense, one sustain and one damage set. Then use some support abilities like orbs after the patch and use prox det. Just have to change perspectives a bit - like if you have to hit rapid regen or ward ally twice after the patch to hit yourself it’s probably a good thing. Less self focused and more group focused, like anyone with 0 healing at the end of a BG is a carry is a good way of looking at it, the best players usually finish about 1.2 million damage and 200k healing.

Every old pvp guide I see is always the same. One defense, one sustain and one damage set, being an assassin type doesn’t exclude you from the foundation of ESO pvp is a good way to looking at it. That was the meta until people discovered they could go glassy and burst people, so everyone went glassy, then healers became useless. Meta just swung back to more balanced so it’s more like regular MMO pvp, without the ‘tanky builds’ ESO’s TTK is ridiculously low, high MMR BGs actually reminds me of other pvp MMOs and is more balanced.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 4, 2019 1:31PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess therein lies the issue. If you like PVP in other MMOs you will enjoy the high end meta in this game. The issue with that is traditional MMO PVP is, and always has been, garbage. In my opinion :wink:

This game aimed to offer something different. I don't want a rotation or cheesy builds, I want skill based combat that feels like you're fighting. Not just gradually chipping away a never-ending health bar until the group leader says "drop ults!"
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, if you want to play a burst class magblade isn’t it. It’s actually one of the lower dps classes right now because of constant nerfs.

I think on PTS magblade’s 2nd last in dps (it’s hard to keep up) only in front of MagWarden. That’s also including that most of magblade’s dps comes from impale in execute. Translating that to the rest of the game and magblade’s easily the lowest dps class outside of execute, which is where pvp’s played.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 4, 2019 2:00PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, if you want to play a burst class magblade isn’t it. It’s actually one of the lower dps classes right now because of constant nerfs.

I think on PTS magblade’s 2nd last in dps (it’s hard to keep up) only in front of MagWarden. That’s also including that most of magblade’s dps comes from impale in execute. Translating that to the rest of the game and magblade’s easily the lowest dps class outside of execute, which is where pvp’s played.

Well... Yes and also no, that is if you count gear which I hate to do. But calu blade still is amazing burst, were pretty much the only class that can use it. But that said it kinda only counts 1/2 way if you need to rely on proc gear
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... Yes and also no, that is if you count gear which I hate to do. But calu blade still is amazing burst, were pretty much the only class that can use it. But that said it kinda only counts 1/2 way if you need to rely on proc gear

I don't know if that will be the case come this patch. The 400 ms delay on soul harvest is going to hurt especially when the lag gets bad.

Edit: And if you are doing something with elemental weapon you won't be able to open with soul harvest and ani cancel with the light attack. I bet there are going to be a lot of elemental weapons that don't go off in time, especially if the skill is on the back bar.
    Edited by ScruffyWhiskers on August 4, 2019 6:31PM
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if that will be the case come this patch. The 400 ms delay on soul harvest is going to hurt especially when the lag gets bad.

Edit: And if you are doing something with elemental weapon you won't be able to open with soul harvest and ani cancel with the light attack. I bet there are going to be a lot of elemental weapons that don't go off in time, especially if the skill is on the back bar.

Ah yeah I keep forgetting that we got another really stupid unjustified nerf
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

One thing I was wondering. Since ultimates technically have a cast time, does soul shine or whatever the set is that buffs cast time abilities buff them? Or crushing shock, can you interrupt ultimates?
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing I was wondering. Since ultimates technically have a cast time, does soul shine or whatever the set is that buffs cast time abilities buff them? Or crushing shock, can you interrupt ultimates?

Hmm probably not but that would be interesting
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or crushing shock, can you interrupt ultimates?

If was not this tired, would login to PTS and equip Veiled Heritance destro staff to test with Crushing Shock if can interrupt ulti AND proc the set at same time. :trollface::joy:

PS: #MakeVeiledHeritanceGreatAgain :'(
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I’m going on PTS after the patch to check out the finalish version that will go live. It’d be hilarious if it did.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 4, 2019 11:37PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • NightAngel690
    NightAngel690
    ✭✭✭
    Right so your playstyle sounds similar to mine (d.e. Nb).

Here’s my set up that I do open world solo play/bgs in
    5 BTB body (tri/or max mag)
    5 crafty alfiq infused inferno w shock/resto beserker
    2 bloodspawn
    Arcane spell damage glyphs and
    Double bloody Mara if I’m running all tristat glyphs or tri-stat drink if I’m running max mag

Front bar:
    Swallow soul, inner light, merciless, fear, either ele drain or debilitate, soul harvest

Back bar:
    Shade, channeled acceleration(or race against time) siphoning strikes, healing ward, harness magicka, either resto ult/ soul siphon or psjic ult.

You should be close to 50k+ mag, 27k Health, and, depending on your glyphs, 15-17k stam
    Edited by NightAngel690 on August 8, 2019 8:10PM
  • NightAngel690
    NightAngel690
    ✭✭✭
    You can also use mist form if you’re a vamp instead of race against time. It’s a good way to kite instead of sprinting
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right so your playstyle sounds similar to mine (d.e. Nb).

Here’s my set up that I do open world solo play/bgs in
    5 BTB body (tri/or max mag)
    5 crafty alfiq infused inferno w shock/resto beserker
    2 bloodspawn
    Arcane spell damage glyphs and
    Double bloody Mara if I’m running all tristat glyphs or tri-stat drink if I’m running max mag

Front bar:
    Swallow soul, inner light, merciless, fear, either ele drain or debilitate, soul harvest

Back bar:
    Shade, channeled acceleration(or race against time) siphoning strikes, healing ward, harness magicka, either resto ult/ soul siphon or psjic ult.

You should be close to 50k+ mag, 27k Health, and, depending on your glyphs, 15-17k stam

What is your Regen with this build? I can't see it being more than 1.5 maybe less if you don't use atro.

I feel you really need at least 1.8-2 for solo. That 50k will go fast when you get on the defensive and need to keep those shields up, and without shade and only siphon and swallow hots, your gonna need them.

I run something very similar gear wise but also very different at the same time.

I run btb body all tri stat, blood spawn, spinners jewels and sharp staff (1 infused recovery, 2 protective spell power) brp resto back bar

My bars are very different and ATM as of this last week this is what mine looks like.

Inferno: ele drain, mercy, fear, swallow soul, lotus, meteor

Resto: healing ward, dark cloak, phantismal escape, mutagen, refreshing path, soul siphon

I have alot more hots rolling than you do. You probably hit a little harder but it would honestly be test worthy. With spinners, light armor, sharp staff, and 100 into pen cp your 18k resistance is like nothing.
    Edited by GhostofDatthaw on August 8, 2019 9:39PM