Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

An end to factions

TheBonesXXX
TheBonesXXX
✭✭✭✭✭
Title says it all, what would the community think of getting rid of factions?

• Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A refund for Any Race, Any Alliance...
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wrong website? I think you meant to post this nonsense here

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/c/community/general-discussion
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the system will change soon. The alliances won't disappear, but the three banners war will end in Cyro and IC at least. I went deep in the lore for possible outcomes on another thread but I'm on mobile and too lazy to find it, then cut and paste it... :D
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MaxJrFTW wrote: »
    Wrong website? I think you meant to post this nonsense here

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/c/community/general-discussion

Why so agro? Why do you feel the need, or I should better say feel that you have the authority to show OP the exit door?

Back to the point.
    AvAvA is a bad concept some might argue that even the wow model is bad. For practical reasons.

It is evident that there isnt any alliance loyalty in eso at all.

I dont see how a change in factions wouldnt be possible, either perminatly, or temporarily, DLC/chapter role guided. Not removal.

I am all for more true guilds, fighting for their interests or forming alliances.
    Many keeps to fight for many rewards to be found.

Besides, tamriel has all sorts of factions and brotherhoods.

Performance should be the only focus for Zos right now and then everything else.
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The sooner that drunken Nord and sniveling Altmer kowtow to High King Emeric, the sooner we can have your 'end of factions'.

Until then, there are far too many True Blues, Blood Reds, and Pure Golds in the game to allow Alliances to be removed. Alliance loyalty is strong :)

• RPGplayer13579
    RPGplayer13579
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would like a quest line that finally ends the three banner's war.
    My Characters.

Mike Snow - Imperial - Templar - One-Handed and Shield - Tank - Daggerfall Covenant - Commander.
    Catelyn Rivers - Breton - Sorcerer - Destruction Staff - Daggerfall Covenant - Telvanni Magister.
    Ashara Sand - Redguard - Warden - Two-Handed/One-Handed and Shield - Daggerfall Covenant - Heroic.
    Tormund gro-Largash - Orsimer - Dragonknight - Two-Handed - Daggerfall Covenant - Furious.
    Lysa Rivers - Breton - Nightblade - Bow/One-Handed and Shield - Vampire - Daggerfall Covenant - Brassy Assassin.

Jon Karstark - Nord - Dragonknight - Two-Handed - Ebonheart Pact - Drunk.
    Arya Sand - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Dual Wield - Ebonheart Pact - Assassin.
    Sansa Snow - Impeial - Warden - Destruction Staff/One-Handed and Shield - Ebonheart Pect - Swashbuckler.
    Jojen Reed-Walker - Argonian - Templar - Restoration Staff - Healer - Ebonheart Pact - Melancholy.
    Alys Karstark - Nord - Nightblade - Bow/Dual Wield - Ebonheart Pact - Minstrel.

Nymeria Woods - Bosmer - Nightblade - Bow - Aldmeri Dominion - Thief.
    Brandon Wings - Altmer - Templar - Restoration Staff - Healer - Aldmeri Dominion - Scholar.
    Lyanna Flowers - Altmer - Sorcerer - Sword/Destruction Staff - Aldmeri Dominion - Duchess.
    Marvolo-jo Riddle - Khajiit - Necromancer - Destruction Staff - Aldmeri Dominion - Deadlands Firewalker.
    Obara Woods - Bosmer - Templar - Bow - Werewolf - Aldmeri Dominion - Cheerful.

• Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

In PvE carebear land maybe. But the war should rage on in Cyrodill for PvP'ers.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    therift wrote: »
    The sooner that drunken Nord and sniveling Altmer kowtow to High King Emeric, the sooner we can have your 'end of factions'.

Until then, there are far too many True Blues, Blood Reds, and Pure Golds in the game to allow Alliances to be removed. Alliance loyalty is strong :)

Nah. We need Talos to came and make order with his wits and iron will. Eradicate Worm Cult, get rid of psychopaths and bandits which you can meet each 5 meters in overland, put end to alliances which will never work in practice. All those 3 "rulers" above are pretty helpless and knee-deep in their own problems to have any chance to take over Tamriel.
    Edited by MartiniDaniels on July 18, 2019 6:30AM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

Just no.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »

If people are gonna start tossin that name around again im gonna chuck some sweaty 'Tryhards' your way.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You assume too much. I, for one, don't PvP much, but when I do I always play DC.

I will grant you that ESO screwed the pooch on AvAvA by introducing Cadwell's Silver and Gold. That was done in the later stages of beta as far as I know. It made it possible for the same character to experience the different factions, and since it failed to add any sort of believable notion of infiltration in an enemy faction, eroded the entire concept of faction loyalty.

It would have been much better if ZOS had changed things up even just slightly so you could feel like an undercover agent of your own faction, but that would have meant more quests, or different ones, and more dialogue to record, prior to the game's launch. So we got something held together with spit.
    Edited by daemonios on July 18, 2019 7:08AM
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks

• Darkenarlol
    Darkenarlol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just right after adding kicks into the groin to chess championship rules
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

If people are gonna start tossin that name around again im gonna chuck some sweaty 'Tryhards' your way.

PvE carebears

giphy.gif
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only place it matter is in Cyrodiil. So after implementing faction locks you want them to remove factions? I fail to follow the reasoning.
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrong forums, go to WoW
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it would be extremely positive for the game and it is very very long over due.

No one cares what faction/alliance they are in, once any race any faction was implemented, as it should have been from the start, factions became more or less irrelevant beyond the story arcs.

I dont play Cyrodiil precisely because of the faction system. I want to be able to take whatever character I want, into a campaign, not be limited by what choice I made for that characters faction/alliance years ago.

The simple solution is to remove faction/alliance from a characters details, and you simply pick a faction upon entering a campaign, from then on the same rules apply. This means I can use whichever character I want to, in whatever campaign I want to, locked into that campaign for its duration.

This is of course if they wish to maintain some semblance of a faction/alliance system at all.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Wrong forum.

Your assumptions are wrong. Way wrong.

Edited by redlink1979 on July 18, 2019 9:19AM
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, riiiigghhhtt.
    Not gonna happen, ever. Well... not until the time of Talos Early-Beard anyhow!

Yeah, the alliances are going to fall apart, and the war in cyrodil will slow down. It has happened among the covenant already, lore-wise... with the death of King Kurog. In a while (lore-wise) High King Emric will also hand in his toga, and then the internal sucession struggles will tear the covenant apart.

Many minor groups will see that as the sign its their time to shine - imperial remnants, akaviri refugees, self-proclaimed warlords, whatever - all of them will add to the chaos in cyrodil over the next couple centuries. None will succeed, all will just make more of a mess of it.

Eventually the dominion will fall apart, and without an external enemy to bind them together, the pact dissolves as well, and the fighting becomes more or less a "free for all" struggle among any general with delusions of emperorhood. None will succeed...

...until...

...about three centuries after the time of ESO... Talos will be born in atmora of all places, grow up in skyrim, became a general in colovia, dcommand the imperial remnants, show off his Thu'um to rally the nords, and then conquer pretty much everything, restoring the empire.
    I think the system will change soon. The alliances won't disappear, but the three banners war will end in Cyro and IC at least. I went deep in the lore for possible outcomes on another thread but I'm on mobile and too lazy to find it, then cut and paste it... :D
    No it won't.
    The Lore says the war will keep on going on and off for the next three hundred years...
    ...and the game system says they need to have somewhere the PvPlayers can show off their big PvPness!

(so, technically the alliances will disappear before the war ends... but its a matter of -decades- and -centuries- in the Tamriel timeline!)
    Not gonna happen. See lore above.
    If anything, we might get a questline that foreshadows the final end. I could easily imagine a questline dealing with protecting an "heir of alessias blood" family, and helping them escape cultist assassins to atmora to become ancestors to talos, complete with prohpecy as to what will come...
    daemonios wrote: »
    I will grant you that ESO screwed the pooch on AvAvA by introducing Cadwell's Silver and Gold. That was done in the later stages of beta as far as I know. It made it possible for the same character to experience the different factions, and since it failed to add any sort of believable notion of infiltration in an enemy faction, eroded the entire concept of faction loyalty.
    It actually had that. "Meridia sending you to alternate timelines where you would have escaped from coldharbour to a different alliance"... complete with mystic disguise. Its in the conversation with Cadwell you have around this.

Unfortunately... there were issues. Like suddenly NPCs remarked on your expliots in those "alternate realities". And then came "One Tamriel" and further muddled the waters until alliance meant very little in the games context...

And yeah, I wish they had done things a tad differently. Sadly... that's now how it happened.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think his assumption is correct, way correct.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigBragg wrote: »
    The only place it matter is in Cyrodiil. So after implementing faction locks you want them to remove factions? I fail to follow the reasoning.

The reasoning is that faction locks are a joke and detrimental to Cyrodiil pvp because a great many people simply cannot or choose not to play, because they cannot use the character they want to with their guild/group etc.

Every time a campaign kicks off and my guilds head in, there is discussions about which faction and players unable to contribute and enjoy Cyrodiil because the characters they want to or need to play, are not in the correct faction.

Outside of Cyrodiil, factions/alliances are irrelevant now, beyond the story arc. So each character entering a campaign, should get to choose what faction/alliance to fight for, for the duration of that campaign. Its an easy change ZOS could make immediately.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I think his assumption is correct, way correct.

Both are right. I know me, and most of the guild i am in are loyal to DC.

But yes, i also know people who just join the winning faction.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
  • UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tenor.gif?itemid=4572204
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.
  • JerzeeDevil
    JerzeeDevil
    ✭✭✭
    therift wrote: »

My dude!

LMAO

DC4L
    jerzeedevil.com

If looks could kill, then Death would be my name.

Daggerfall's Mightiest- PS4 NA
    Wardens of Morrowind-PS4 NA
    Cyrodiil Death Squad- PS4 NA/EU

• JerzeeDevil
    JerzeeDevil
    ✭✭✭

I think it would be extremely positive for the game and it is very very long over due.

No one cares what faction/alliance they are in, once any race any faction was implemented, as it should have been from the start, factions became more or less irrelevant beyond the story arcs.

I dont play Cyrodiil precisely because of the faction system. I want to be able to take whatever character I want, into a campaign, not be limited by what choice I made for that characters faction/alliance years ago.

The simple solution is to remove faction/alliance from a characters details, and you simply pick a faction upon entering a campaign, from then on the same rules apply. This means I can use whichever character I want to, in whatever campaign I want to, locked into that campaign for its duration.

This is of course if they wish to maintain some semblance of a faction/alliance system at all.

Beta tester here, and bought Imperial Edition on PC. Any race, any alliance was there from the very beginning. You should have chosen your faction more wisely!

Sorry... Fake news :smile: (Or repeating incorrect information, minimally)
    jerzeedevil.com

If looks could kill, then Death would be my name.

Daggerfall's Mightiest- PS4 NA
    Wardens of Morrowind-PS4 NA
    Cyrodiil Death Squad- PS4 NA/EU

• daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »
    It actually had that. "Meridia sending you to alternate timelines where you would have escaped from coldharbour to a different alliance"... complete with mystic disguise. Its in the conversation with Cadwell you have around this.

Unfortunately... there were issues. Like suddenly NPCs remarked on your expliots in those "alternate realities". And then came "One Tamriel" and further muddled the waters until alliance meant very little in the games context...

And yeah, I wish they had done things a tad differently. Sadly... that's now how it happened.
    That Meridia thing is what I'm talking about when I say "held together with spit". It was never anything more than an excuse to open up other faction zones. It wasn't believable and it didn't tie in with the whole Three Banners War. It is what it is, and it's not going to change now, I just meant it didn't contribute to a feeling of faction allegiance, on the contrary it diluted it.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That would be more honest. Factions are meaningless beyond whatever meaning the players who ended up in them decide to assign them. The true motive for PvP is to fight with other people. Nothing is defended, nothing is gained, nothing is lost, everything resets back to baseline and then they do it again. It would make much more sense to put Sheogorath in charge of Cyrodiil and simply say that setting food there drives one into a mad bloodlust. Would explain all the frothing rabid hate-whisperers and people rubbing their junk on corpses, too.

Edited by Minyassa on July 18, 2019 11:53AM
  • Gandrhulf_Harbard
    Gandrhulf_Harbard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah, so they can whine endlessly about server performance, some noob who owned them and so X, Y, and Z skills need nerfing, and then complain there's not enough PvPers to make it worth while.

Meanwhile, abandoning AvAvA, and allowing Guilds to join together to form Warbands, and then allowing Warbands to sign up to WB v WB v WB or even just WB v WB, would ensure that PvP Campaigns were better populated, by players dedicated to doing so.

Just separate PvP skills from PvE and EVERYONE would get a better game experience.

All The Best
    Those memories come back to haunt me, they haunt me like a curse.
    Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The war should end and all the various races should go back to PvP fighting among themselves all across Tamriel.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Let's have a "war to end all wars" - happened IRL, and it was so successful they did it again about 20 years later.
    Fear is the Mindkiller