Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

ESO is a pay to win game and here's why

Delparis
Delparis
✭✭✭✭✭
The moment players were able to sell crowns for gold the game become pay to win.

Thanks to crowns, any noob with enough cash can buy let's say 5k crown for 35€ then sell them on the market for 1.5 million gold.

With that gold he can buy:
  1. Spell strategist jewelry and inferno infused staff all legendary.
  2. Mother's sorrow light gear divine legendary.
  3. a Skoria shoulder divine (luck)
  4. carry in vCoA 2 for skoria helm divine.

He can also pay for another 5k crown to get carried in vet trial for skins (vMoL, vHoF) and the gear their.

The loosers are the players with not enough wallet (and luck) who spend most of their time farming and improving in the game.
The winners are the noobs with real cash but also Zenimax who get all the cash.

Well done Zenimax this is a good way to destroy what is left of your game.
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They may be able to get all that gear, but they'll be complete crap at the game if they never play it. Not sure I'd call that winning.
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So buying ingame items with ingame currency is pay to win?

Sure why not....

giphy.gif
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, Blizzard outright sells gold in thier cash shop via the WoW Token, and no one calls that game pay to win.
  • mobicera
    mobicera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 can't be purchased.
    Who uses skoria anymore?
    Gear doesn't make a player.
    This is a joke...
  • Blackwing_Soul
    Blackwing_Soul
    ✭✭✭
    Can the items listed be obtained in game without the use of Crowns? Yes? Not pay to win. Sorry.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay 2 Win means being able to get items that somebody who doesn't pay can't get.

All items listed above can be gotten through normal means.

Thus ESO is NOT Pay 2 Win.

Case Closed.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Oathsworn - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    65,035 achievement points
  • r3turn2s3nd3r
    r3turn2s3nd3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, I can't buy any of those items in game with gold earned in game? I can only buy them with gold made from selling crowns?

Hmmmm. News to me.
  • MyKillv2.0
    MyKillv2.0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delparis wrote: »
    The moment players were able to sell crowns for gold the game become pay to win.

Thanks to crowns, any noob with enough cash can buy let's say 5k crown for 35€ then sell them on the market for 1.5 million gold.

With that gold he can buy:
    1. Spell strategist jewelry and inferno infused staff all legendary.
    2. Mother's sorrow light gear divine legendary.
    3. a Skoria shoulder divine (luck)
    4. carry in vCoA 2 for skoria helm divine.

He can also pay for another 5k crown to get carried in vet trial for skins (vMoL, vHoF) and the gear their.

The loosers are the players with not enough wallet (and luck) who spend most of their time farming and improving in the game.
    The winners are the noobs with real cash but also Zenimax who get all the cash.

Well done Zenimax this is a good way to destroy what is left of your game.

This post had more laughs than MiB4. :D
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kel wrote: »
    I mean, Blizzard outright sells gold in thier cash shop via the WoW Token, and no one calls that game pay to win.

yes they do.
    BigBragg wrote: »
    So buying ingame items with ingame currency is pay to win?

Sure why not....

giphy.gif

No buying in game gold for real money then using that to buy in game stuff is p2w.

Sure lots of things have to be farmed but still the fact you can just buy gold is p2w.

Add that onto of other things such as powerful skill lines/ classes/ strongest gear hidden behind additional paywalls is also pay to win.

Also strong things like trans stations and jewellery crafting being behind pay walls, most end game pvp and pve setups use the new jewellery traits.

I mean currently I've come back to play the game but denying the game is pay to win now is kind of insane.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Joker99
    Joker99
    ✭✭✭
    Buy the gear then buy skins err what, why buy the gear anyway if you’re not gonna use it and don’t say PvP cause you’ll get mowed down. It’s pay for convenience, in some cases such convenience can be considered pay to win in super grindy games but that’s not the case with eso.
    PC-EU
    DPS Slave:
    StamNB, MagNB, MagPlar, MagDK, StamDK, StamWarden
    Mostly just a scrub. Not even max CP.Actually max CP.
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay to win takes place where you need to win.

In PVE pay to win is just impossible. Imagine I was carried in vet trial for skins. So what? Did I got better? No. Am I proud of my achievement. No. Is it a win? No. Imagine I bought the best gear. Did I got better? No. Can I go to a vet trial now? No, I'm still a noob who knows not how to use skills properly. Is it a win? No.

In PVP - well, possible. Yet not for a noob, see previous explanation. I'm playing since 2016, CP 650. Give me best PVP gear, weapons and skills. I'll still be a noob who gets killed almost instantly when eneterd Cyridiil. Is it a win? No.
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Indeed non-sense post,

OP is against everything!
  • Alchemical
    Alchemical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I only got 1.5 mil for $35 I'd feel ripped off, that's like 5 hours of minimum wage vs like 2 hours of farting around in game. Gold is like, almost totally worthless. I guess yes, gold gear becomes more affordable, but the bonuses that gold gives you over purple aren't percentages I'd call shenanigans on. Maybe if it made your dps shoot up by like 50% instead of, you know, 4 or 5%. And guess what, if you don't know the mechanics for most fights you will still die. No min-max DPS is gonna survive a 100k blast from an enraged boss.

Also, technical nitpick, you can't buy monster shoulders with any amount of gold. You can't buy keys.
  • r3turn2s3nd3r
    r3turn2s3nd3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alchemical wrote: »

Also, technical nitpick, you can't buy monster shoulders with any amount of gold. You can't buy keys.

Golden Vendor in Cyrodiil if they pop up for the week.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    myskyrim26 wrote: »
    Pay to win takes place where you need to win.

In PVE pay to win is just impossible. Imagine I was carried in vet trial for skins. So what? Did I got better? No. Am I proud of my achievement. No. Is it a win? No. Imagine I bought the best gear. Did I got better? No. Can I go to a vet trial now? No, I'm still a noob who knows not how to use skills properly. Is it a win? No.

In PVP - well, possible. Yet not for a noob, see previous explanation. I'm playing since 2016, CP 650. Give me best PVP gear, weapons and skills. I'll still be a noob who gets killed almost instantly when eneterd Cyridiil. Is it a win? No.

In pve p2w isn't impossible and the as there are pve leaderboards for trials and such. Currently the strongest dps in the game is stam nec and the BIS gears for multiple classes all requires several other dlc's/ expansions.

If you don't have certain dlc's to get access to certain equip or even certain characters then your raid group isnt going to compete in leaderboards against those that do.
    PS4 EU DC

• ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kel wrote: »

I'd love to be able to to buy ESO+ with gold ngl, no idea what I should do with those stacks of gold that are just lying around.
    Also Crown -> Gold, is exactly the same system as token -> gold just with 1 extra step where people can get scammed in the process, idk how thats better than buying gold right away.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Immediately getting good gear doesn't immediately make you a good player. A new player who easily bought gear for a meta set will walk into PvP and get absolutely wrecked cause all they'll do is light attack and wonder why their gear isn't making them one shot people.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO is not a Pay-To-Win game. Anything you can buy for Real Money -> Crowns -> Gold, you can get in game by playing the game. You can also do the reverse. Play the Game -> Make Gold -> Buy Crown Items.

However, ESO definitely is a Pay-Through-The-Nose-For-Convenience Game.

Want to get gold quick from selling Crowns? Pay $$$.
    Want to skip the 180 day grind for a maxed mount? Pay $$$.
    Want to skip the Skyshard hunt? Pay $$$.

And so on. Everything you can buy for gold, crowns or real $$$ is all obtainable by playing the game. It just takes time and effort. You want to skip the time and effort? ZOS will happily take your $$$.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Actualy, thanks to crown gifting, this game is no longer pay to win!!!

Before, you couldn't get gear from DLC zones, dungeons and trials at all if you didn't pay real cash for the DLC or Eso plus. Best example was Spell Power Cure (Olorime didn't existed at that time). If you didn't pay for Imperial City DLC or Eso plus, you couldn't get SPC on your healer. No solid trial group invited you without SPC. So, those that paid got invited others did not.

Now, thanks to crown gifting, you can buy DLCs with in-game gold and you may get all the gear you want.
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In pve p2w isn't impossible and the as there are pve leaderboards for trials and such. Currently the strongest dps in the game is stam nec and the BIS gears for multiple classes all requires several other dlc's/ expansions.

If you don't have certain dlc's to get access to certain equip or even certain characters then your raid group isnt going to compete in leaderboards against those that do.

Give me the best gear available and max CPs. You think I'll appear at that leaderboards? No, never. Being good in combat means spending a lot of time learning how to play.

I have a strong petsorc build. Yet I can't do even a normal Arena after stage 6. No gear will help me.
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I WIN! I WIN!!

I'd like to thank all the little people...
  • Darkenarlol
    Darkenarlol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    another snowflake that is unable to understant

the meaning of words he/she uses...
  • Knightpanther
    Knightpanther
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant begin to type what utter crap this is.

Pay to win means getting an advantage over other players by purchasing things unobtainable to normal folks.
    How is anything you have listed not obtainable to even a casual like me?
    With the exception of the trial/top end gear (who cares about that anyway?) i have all the stuff you have listed and im a casual soloer, Spell strat drops like candy in Cyrodiil (stay in the top 100 and you can get that stuff Golden at the end of the campaign), do crafting writs for the weapon upgrade tempers and the monster sets are available from PvP vendors.

Sure people can get a jump start but *** me are you for real?

Jog on

oh yeah and Be safe
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    myskyrim26 wrote: »

Give me the best gear available and max CPs. You think I'll appear at that leaderboards? No, never. Being good in combat means spending a lot of time learning how to play.

I have a strong petsorc build. Yet I can't do even a normal Arena after stage 6. No gear will help me.

I mean peoples personal skill is important.

Simple fact is people who buy every dlc/ expansion will have an advantage over people who don't.
    Actualy, thanks to crown gifting, this game is no longer pay to win!!!

Before, you couldn't get gear from DLC zones, dungeons and trials at all if you didn't pay real cash for the DLC or Eso plus. Best example was Spell Power Cure (Olorime didn't existed at that time). If you didn't pay for Imperial City DLC or Eso plus, you couldn't get SPC on your healer. No solid trial group invited you without SPC. So, those that paid got invited others did not.

Now, thanks to crown gifting, you can buy DLCs with in-game gold and you may get all the gear you want.

It's a good point actually, however several million gold is a long farm.
    PS4 EU DC

• Nevto
    Nevto
    ✭✭
    dlcs are also pay to win cause u usually get better sets from new Dungeons or Trials
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see pay to win as follows:

In a crown store there are 2 weapons: to oneshot any mob and boss in PVE, and to oneshot any player in PVP. These weapons are crown store exclusive. This is pay to win.
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the very least it is advantageous to pay for the dlcs as the skills and or gear that come from from the new content is overloaded so that you buy it.....
    How does that not equate to p2w ?
  • stpdmonkey
    stpdmonkey
    ✭✭✭
    I know plenty of people who just by doing normal game stuff and having fun completing harder and harder things. Increasing their skill have become millionaires in game. It is far easier to grind for a few hours for the gear then sell crowns for gold to then find the items and buy them. Most bis gear is bind on pickup.
    Sure there are many things you can buy that would help but in reality they are not going to help you win. Spell strat is not bis. It's good against a solo target but solo target is rare. Siroria is not a hard piece to get. In right trait maybe it's harder but transmute makes that point null and void. If you need a carry is coa2 you need help in your abilities as a player. That dungeon is not that hard. 1 hour in dashaan will give you any mothers sorrow needed as well as enough in mats to improve. So if you want to be lazy sure go ahead. But paying will not give you any help over other players.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think nowadays it has to be tools that necessary to win a game, and are gated with real money.
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nopes
This discussion has been closed.