Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Khajiit's pronoun in Elsweyr, anyone notice "this one"?

TheDarkShadow
TheDarkShadow
✭✭✭✭✭
So I've seen many khajiit NPC in Elsweyr are using "I" and "me" instead of "this one". Wonder if anyone bugged by it like I am.
Edited by TheDarkShadow on April 26, 2019 11:02AM
  • Fellwitch
    Fellwitch
    ✭✭✭
    The Elder Scrolls lore guy retired right? Maybe the replacement does not know about this? All voice is recorded already?

Options
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Options
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's weird that khajiits who live outside Elsweyr have a thicker accent than those who live in the heart of their culture.
    Options
  • KhajiitFelix
    KhajiitFelix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one ate other one cause he ate another one
    Options
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’d raise the question of How many years has the region been stuck under an Imperial regime? The first part of weakening any people is eliminating their culture, and language shifts are part of that. I haven’t gone along the main quest yet but have there been any explanations of the timeline for Northern Elsweyr?
    Options
  • mcagatayg
    mcagatayg
    ✭✭✭✭
    They learned how to speak a language properly after hundreds of years... Sounds good to me o:)
    Options
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jhalin wrote: »
    I’d raise the question of How many years has the region been stuck under an Imperial regime? The first part of weakening any people is eliminating their culture, and language shifts are part of that. I haven’t gone along the main quest yet but have there been any explanations of the timeline for Northern Elsweyr?

This could be true, but it does not add up. Every other tes game is after eso in the timeline and the khajiit talk in 3rd person everywhere.
    I have not played elsweyr, maybe there is a reason for this lore wise, or laziness :)
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
    Options
  • JTorus
    JTorus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ahziss is the Ta'agra word for 'I'. There was a library/bookstore in TES3 where the Khajiiti clerk used it. So the concept is grounded in earlier lore. It may be that when they are not speaking Ta'agra, Khajiit use 'this one' as it is a more direct translation of the pronoun's meaning to their culture. From what I recall, Khajiit have an unconventional sense of self.

It could be in Elsweyr you're interacting with natives speaking their local tongue rather than Imperial influence eroding culture. (Maybe that's why the Alfiq can speak all of a sudden?) The nation state is very young at this point in the timeline, and Imperial conquering doesn't really take place for a while yet as Tiber Septim isn't shouting about quite yet.

Frankly though, 'Lazy Lore Writing' is probably the correct answer. Plenty of the really really good TES lore sprouted from Michael Kirkbride. It's the lore that resonates with us to this day, years later. Some of it borders on crazy, weird, conflicting, and just out there at times. I love it. Every time Bethesda and/or ZOS attempts to answer some of those inexplicable idiosyncrasies, (paraphrasing a TV show of ilk), you 'forever trade away wonder for reason'.

*cough*midichlorians*cough*
    Options
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's weird that khajiits who live outside Elsweyr have a thicker accent than those who live in the heart of their culture.

It is why they left, to get away from the Imperialisation of their culture :wink:
    Edited by Gythral on April 26, 2019 2:23PM
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
    Options
  • Dracheimflug
    Dracheimflug
    ✭✭✭
    Is there some lore reason why Khajiit refer to themselves in the third person?
    Options
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

not talking about the usage of "this one", but the few NPC I found on PTS have VERY thick accent.........
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
    Options
  • MuchShock
    MuchShock
    ✭✭✭
    sounds like a question for that one @SantieClaws
    I have some characters, play the game and do stuff. It's fun sometimes.

Xbox-NA
    Options
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit can only assume the change in our natural language patterns is so as to confuse the dragons.

Dragons are very attuned to sounds and perhaps our native way of speaking made us sound more tasty yes.

Now if we sound more like over perfumed snooty elves perhaps we will be a less appetising snack?

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
    Options
  • PrinceShroob
    PrinceShroob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are several Khajiit in prior Elder Scrolls games who use "I" rather than "this one." Using "this one" is by no means a hard and fast rule. Some Khajiit even refer to themselves in third person and also use "I," such as J'zargo in Skyrim.
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fellwitch wrote: »
    The Elder Scrolls lore guy retired right? Maybe the replacement does not know about this? All voice is recorded already?

Lore is being gutted left and right lately. Hard to say exactly why. But it certainly ruins the immersion.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Fellwitch wrote: »

Lore is being gutted left and right lately. Hard to say exactly why. But it certainly ruins the immersion.

I agree. Their slightly awkward way of speaking is what makes them so memorable and iconic, similarly to Yoda in the Star Wars universe! Yoda would be a whole less iconic if he spoke regular English. The same is true for the Khajiits in Elder Scrolls.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakidafi wrote: »
    Jhalin wrote: »

This could be true, but it does not add up. Every other tes game is after eso in the timeline and the khajiit talk in 3rd person everywhere.
    I have not played elsweyr, maybe there is a reason for this lore wise, or laziness :)
    Yes, if you are an Khajiit living or worse growing up outside of Khajiit dominated places it would be easy to loose the Khajiit dialect. On the other hand people kind of expect it from Khajiit like the Khajiit enchanter in Hews bane.
    But that is an weird place anyway :)
    uI0AFd8h.jpg
    No this one has no idea.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • JadeCoin
    JadeCoin
    ✭✭✭✭
    It may have just been me, but I felt like they toned down a lot of the Argonian voices in Murkmire as well.

My guess? In the base game, Khajiit speech is exotic and sounds fresh because it's contrasting and different. In Elsweyr, though, it could potentially turn grating or obnoxious or tiring or cliche, just because there's so much of it. Like the difference between a sprinkle of pepper and a jar of pepper in your food. And if you didn't especially like pepper to begin with... well. Maybe they don't want it to be a turn-off to some people.

I love the way the Khajiit in the base game speak, myself. I'm just imagining possible reasons for the decision to make them talk differently in Elsweyr.
    Options
  • UnseenCat
    UnseenCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS' own "Meet the Character" in-universe commentary on Khamira notes that she uses "I," not speaking in third person like most Khajiit. So it's somewhat notable, but not unheard of. Perhaps some Khajiit are just more highly educated in the common tongue.
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JadeCoin wrote: »
    It may have just been me, but I felt like they toned down a lot of the Argonian voices in Murkmire as well.

Still a plethora of spinal erections, though! They certainly didn't nerf that aspect of lore! :)

And the Naga-Kur introduced a new variation of convoluted speech that makes Khajiit third person-speak seem tame by comparison!
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • JadeCoin
    JadeCoin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    JadeCoin wrote: »

Still a plethora of spinal erections, though! They certainly didn't nerf that aspect of lore! :)

And the Naga-Kur introduced a new variation of convoluted speech that makes Khajiit third person-speak seem tame by comparison!

Can't argue with that!
    Options
  • Darkhorse1975
    Darkhorse1975
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the thick accent outside of Elsweyr is a bit of salesman showmanship? Those with coin can't resist the Khajiit with wares...
    Master Craftsman!
    Options
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with a little slang
    Options
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe Khajiit outside Elsweyr are speaking their 2nd language, causing a strong accent and strange pronouns. While the Khajiit within Elsweyr are speaking their native language, and the game is simply translating that into perfect English for our benefit.
    Options
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A khajiit without THIS ONE is not a Khajiit. an Argonian who doesn't sound like they smoke 10 packs an hour is not an Argonian.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
    Options
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's Khajiit even in base game talking with I and me. It just depends on the accent and the level of influence of other cultures on the speaker
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
    Options
  • LinearParadox
    LinearParadox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna be honest:
    While I'm sorry to see a piece of the lore kinda left by the wayside, I'm very much not going to miss hearing "Theeese one" every 5 seconds.
    It was, honestly, annoying. -_-
    twitch.tv/linearparadox
    Benthar the Unkillable - lvl 50 StamDK - AD
    High Confessor Celosia - lvl 50 MagDK, AD
    Aeolyndra Sunstrider - lvl 50 Magplar Support God, AD
    Maldreth Angala - lvl 50 Magicka PetSorc, AD
    Veldrosa Wyldwind - lvl 50 StamSorc, AD
    M. Night Shatupon - lvl 50 MagBlade, AD
    Vestonia Ironhardt - lvl 50 Warden GuardTank, AD
    Bone Daddy - lvl 50 Stamcro, AD
    Abra Kedaver - lvl 50 Magcro, AD
    CP 1100+
    Options
  • Zelos
    Zelos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its called zos being lazy and cutting corners, get use to it from a 40$ dlc. Buy some crown crates now.
    Aeonhack - AD Stamina Nightblade - 5 Star General

CP1200

Creator and user of "Questionable" addons and game mechanics.
    Options
  • Dracheimflug
    Dracheimflug
    ✭✭✭
    I'll try again.

Is there some lore explaining the use of the third person? It could be that it was a side effect of them being so relatively successfully subjugated, particularly in the future in the timeline of the single player games. In Elsweyr the invasion is only very recent and they are not yet subjected, so they are still talking first person.
    Options
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wandered around Rimmen on the PTS, talking to every Khajiit I could find. About half use the first person, about half use the third. There did seem to be a pattern that the Khajiit who used the first person were those who could be expected to have had the most contact with the Euraxians, and those who were better educated. Just the sort of thing you get with a local accent.
    PC EU
    Options