Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Happy 25th Birthday Elder Scrolls! Which Game Got You Started?

Aliyavana
Aliyavana
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
25 years of Elder Scrolls! What was your first game that got you started in this game universe? In my case, Morrowind.
Edited by Aliyavana on March 25, 2019 6:57AM

Happy 25th Birthday Elder Scrolls! Which Game Got You Started? 440 votes

Arena
7%
Soleyadriosketchvailjohn_ESOtheyanceyOsteostspecherb14_ESOprofundidob16_ESOGythralJD2013AllPlayAndNoWorkKnootewootJames-WayneGarwulfTamrikThanatosLextinythinkerTomg999amithTandorDavor 33 votes
Daggerfall
6%
NestorInklingsdeadsheepb14_ESOGlassHalfFullNemesis7884TryxusSantieClawszariaeklhaftb16_ESOYukon2112BlueVioletStonen80ub17_ESOSkworValagashghwaiteElissaeRi_KhanKnightpantherAnhedonieOhtimbar 27 votes
Morrowind
32%
Imryllmoonsugar66theskymovesSolarikenGilvothmattc9306b14a_ESOtohopka_esoGreyleafJimmyDarcyMardinrotaugen454wenchmore420b14_ESOFaulgorMadyEwerounDanikatDarkstorneR1ckyDaManAlienSlofSkayaq 141 votes
Oblivion
26%
CasdhaKikazaruMoloch1514SuddwrathDaveMoeDeePheefsRDMyers65b14_ESOLisaIruil_ESOSapphire_Lilyaubrey.baconb16_ESODTStormfoxTibAshanneLiraTaurwenmertustaAlisyraNeroBadhondelinkreoskit 115 votes
Skyrim
22%
otis67sarahvhoffb14_ESOAikoDrembo14_ESODaraughnickreb17_ESOLaerothKeykalynAzraelKriegDarkhorse1975PocketNovaSigma957HidesFromSunWolfchild07OldManJimEirellaMathius_MordredBlack_FlameSosRuvaakApheriusTechnoDreamVision 98 votes
Eso
5%
ChelotechnohicbellatrixedManwithBeard9ArcirisGarishTBoisme_mingChunkyCatCarl-lanSpiderKnightaetherial_heavennIrfindViscous119OstaciaDrathlybarney2525Minyassasintetizzatoretodokete 23 votes
Other
0%
IpslorWildberryjackKhajiitFelix 3 votes
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion
    Oblivion, wanted it as soon as I seen it.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Morrowind
    Morrowind was the first one that was released in my country. Also I was probably too young to get interested in the first two.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind

I was disappointed with tes fable assoon as I got it.

Another blight forced onto tes players by console users
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    Happy birthday indeed. The rich and enormous world of this series will never cease to amaze me. My only hope is for the next TES to make good use of it, like ESO does .
  • thedovahmon
    thedovahmon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skyrim
    Got Skyrim because there was an anime race mod for it (Yes, I hate myself too) and it looked fun enough for my tastes. Then I got invested in the series and lore, ditched the anime mods entirely, got the other games in the series and the Elder Scrolls is now one of my 3 main fandoms.
    Edited by thedovahmon on March 25, 2019 8:00AM
    "Voted most likely to reply with a reaction image. According to the Mournhold High School Yearbook."
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daggerfall
    DAGGERFALL ...i always thought to myself after playing first person shooter at that time and only having isometric rpg around and being a big rpg and fantasy fan - why is no one making such an rpg?????
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion

I was disappointed with tes fable assoon as I got it.

Another blight forced onto tes players by console users

Oblivion was nothing like Fable. Tes and Fable are parallel with each other in general.

• Stonen80ub17_ESO
    Daggerfall
    Daggerfall - I loved that game.
  • Eyllora
    Eyllora
    ✭✭✭
    Oblivion
    Happy birthday !!!!!!
    I started with Oblivion and I really fell in love with this game, the lore, the humour, all the story lines etc.
    Then Morrowind-Skyrim-ESO.
    I still play Oblivion regularly with so much pleasure even if I've done all quests probably over 15 times :heart:
    It's the game of my life !!!
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daggerfall
    Daggerfall <3 but fav is Oblivion. Too much hype before release.
    Edited by gepe87 on March 25, 2019 8:29AM
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arena
    Gee don't I feel old now....
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skyrim
    Skyrim because the EB Games near where I worked broke the street date so I bought it on impulse. Enjoyed it for months before the bugginess of the PS3 version eventually got too much and made me stop.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • KhajiitFelix
    KhajiitFelix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Minecraft
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion
    Started out with Oblivion in 2013. Had never played a TES game before and had no idea what the series was about (or even that it was a RPG). The Oblivion GotY edition was on sale for virtually nothing (since it was 7 years old at that point), and I bought it only because I saw Patrick Stewart in the credits.

Half a year later, I had completed Oblivion and bought Skyrim (also fairly cheaply, as it was 2 years old by then). And then when I beat Skyrim a few times, I heard about a beta for ESO.

Participated in the ESO beta. Was ambivalent (in part because I had never played a MMO before and really just wanted another single-player game, and in part because the concept of a game as a service wasn't appealing to me) and didn't buy ESO. A year after launch, ZOS did a free play weekend specifically for beta players who never bought the game, to entice them to try it out again after changing to the B2P model. And that's when I started with this game, in the spring of 2015.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skyrim
    I was 13 years old when the game came out. I hardly see how I could have been introduced with an other game.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • IndorilArwynLlethran
    Morrowind
    I had Arena and Daggefall before Morrowind but I never liked them. Those copies are still in my collection, played about 3 hours total :lol: As for Morrowind I literally lived there for a couple of years, leaving only to eat, sleep and earn some money to pay for food and electricity ;)
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Arena
    Been on this journey since the start...

Still have almost all the games on my PC, with, only Oblivion currently not loaded.

Interesting to watch how Tamriel has lost the wheel, spell crafting has become more and more restrictive & dungeons more predictable, while the graphics have got better, but interestingly the amount of bugs seems unchanged!

Happy Birthday, and may the journey continue for another 25 years
    :heart:
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • SFDB
    SFDB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion
    I got Oblivion with a gift card I got for my first birthday after the 360 was released. I had never heard of it and only bought it because there weren't many games. I was blown away by it before I even left the sewers, and I think it was probably a month before I even got around to delivering the amulet to the chapel, there were so many other things I could do that there felt no need to rush into it. I recall clearly getting on the thieves guild questline right away and making my way to Bruma on foot, clueless about fast travel, and still loving it.

Oblivion gets a lot of crap heaped on it, and it is not undeserving of some of the criticisms heaped upon it. But time has caused those to overshadow just what an amazing experience it was for new players, how much it got its hooks in. And it is also the only Elder Scrolls game specifically mentioned in a speech by Terry Pratchett, and you can't beat that endorsement. :smile:
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daggerfall
    wow 25 years! Happy Birthday Elder Scrolls! :)

Actually I started with Arena, but did not really play it, but Daggerfall really grabbed me. I played many many hours, did many quests and dungeons, raised into the ranks of the Fighters Guild, knightly orders and Mages Guild, but did not finish the main quest. It is hard for the people who started with Morrowind or later, to grasp how large was the game world in Daggerfall, a world (Illiac Bay area from ESO) which contained hundreds if not thousands of towns and places to visit.

I remember buying a cart because I could not carry all the loot from dungeons, and later I used the cart to store the gold I got (coins had a very realistic weight), until I found out that you could store the gold coins in a bank and get a letters of credit. Also, from a poor adventurer sleeping in inns, I became the aspiring hero, buying a cheap house in the outskirts of Daggerfall, to later become the famous hero who owned the largest manor in Daggerfall, near the palace. I had houses in other cities as well, including a boat which wasn't of much use.
    My char had a full set of daedric armor (the best in that game) and was very powerful.

I think after more than 15 years since I have last played the game, I found the save games, and remembered that haven't completed the main quest. It took me a while to get used again with the clunky dated interface, but finished the main quest, which is great., btw.

The Elder Scrolls games are amazing, it is probably the series I love most!
    Edited by kind_hero on March 25, 2019 8:58AM
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arena
    I got hooked on Arena, which for those of us too old to remember that far back was released in 1994 :smile: !
  • Neyane
    Neyane
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion
    Happy birthday Elder scrolls! I started with Oblivion, when I was really young! It was pretty much my childhood, I spent hours upon hours playing it. It will always have a special place in my heart! ❤️
    The most important thing in life is enjoying yourself.
    810+, love trials and dungeons, achievement hunter ♥
    Stormproof on 9 characters and more to come~ Flawless on MagSorc & MagPlar ♥
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Arena
    Arena
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    Morrowind got me hooked and was the reason I've decided to buy a Xbox as a kid ^^ (and yes i bought it myself with my savings just for this game)

And since then in love with Saxhleel because who wouldn't fall in love with giant bipedal Lizards :hushed:
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • r34lian
    r34lian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skyrim
    Didn't knew ES is a year older than me :trollface:
    2000 CP • 18 Maxed Characters • 6 Altmers • 7 Redguards • Necromancer Orc • Warden Dunmer • DK Nord • DK Imperial • Templar Breton
  • ghwaite
    ghwaite
    ✭✭✭
    Daggerfall
    Daggerfall, was a nice break from FPS mayhem :smiley:
    Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Morrowind
    That first time I heard Azura's voice.... then the gravel in Jiub's voice... I fell in love in Elder Scrolls and began to soak up every tiny bit of lore I could find! Elder Scrolls for life! :heart:
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arena
    Arena!

Got it as a present from a friend ... who then (while I unpacked it) told me "...but I don't think you will like it as it's not your type of game."
    Ooookay. He had received it as a birthday gift dupe.
    Well, what did I do? Install it and then not touch it again. I had other games to play, was still fooling around with many 1993 games, and this friend knew my taste in games.

A few months later, my HDD controller crashed, wiping all my games and save games ... including my beloved Syndicate. I had made it to level 49 of 50, needless to say I threw a tantrum before I broke down in tears ;).
    But three games had miraculously surevived the disaster: Warlords 2, Space Hulk and Arena.
    I was basically done with Warlords and found Space Hulk way too hard, so there was no alternative. I had to play Arena. And I soon discovered that I really, really loved it ...
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • LordGavus
    LordGavus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion
    I played morrowind first, but only a little. I didn't fully get into TES until oblivion
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Eso
    A friend of mine from work got me started looking at MMOs. He is a huge gamer. He was buying games from Steam in bundles just to beat them and then move on to the next one. He got me interested in skyrim, however, I never got past character creation. My quirk is that I cannot stick with any game that I do not like the look of the character. And skyrim characters, IMHO, were all Butugly. Male, female, race - did not like the looks of any of them.

So when he told me about ESO, and it was kind of an extension from Skyrim, I had reservations. But I bit the bullet and got the game and found out the characters are much better. So I stuck with it.
  • fierackas
    fierackas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arena
    Arena and then I didn't play another one until ESO :D