Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

ZOS, please let us use "female" adornments on male characters.

• StormChaser3000
    StormChaser3000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »
    In a "true" medieval setting, there would be NO female warriors. Women would be relegated to staying home and having children. Not really the most exciting gameplay.

There were warrior women, and even commanders around different parts of the world: https://womenshistorymonth.wordpress.com/resources/women-and-series/women-and-war/female-warriors/
  • Amanuensis
    Amanuensis
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want my male characters to be able to wear eyeliner and black nail polish so I can relive my younger days! Back then, I thought I was quirky and unconventional; in retrospect, I was just a pathetic try-hard. I'm such an old fart now, lol.
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    H
    There is nothing wrong that people who come to play medieval themed game don't want to see something that doesn't fit it at all.

LOL if you're looking for a "medieval themed game" then you've come to the wrong place. The TES universe is its own unique fantasy setting with no real-world cognate. Just because people are using swords and bows doesn't mean that this is some run-of-the-mill western european knockoff alternative history.

I can also say that if you are looking for pink unicorns this is game is not for you.
    Whatever you say, it's a medieval themed fantasy game.

Edit: also you clearly don't see the difference between medieval and medieval themed.

You're convinced that there were no cross-dressing people in medieval or medieval-themed history?

Do you also have a shallow immersive experience with the medieval or medieval-themed cat and lizard races with their mammary *** anomalies? Cats have 6 or 8 breasts; lizards don't have any. Even the medieval or medieval-themed ones.
    Unless the Argonians are monotremes like Echidna or Platypus. But those have mammary glands inside a pouch, so you wouldn't see gender-specific ***-rings there.

My initial reaction to not being able to place female-only jewellery on my male characters was that the game designers are sexist homophobes. It's more likely that the development costs were seen as prohibitive, given the number of players that might actually use this feature, if it were available.

EDIT: given how the profanity filter has applied itself, I'm returning to sexist homophobes as the cause.
    Edited by Androconium on December 24, 2018 9:11PM
  • Greystag
    Greystag
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please try to stay on-topic, guys. The objective of this discussion is to talk about in-game adornments, not to discuss the role of women in medieval times or question the realism of a game where it clearly isn't its priority. Mentioning stuff like this is okay if it still relates to the original topic, but the discussion is slowly being derailed. Thanks.
    | PC / EU |
    | Aspen Greystag, Khajiit Warden, Frosty boi |
    | Healer, Tank, Damage dealer |
    | CP: 1800 |
    | Guilds: Officer at Meridia's Light |
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In a "true" medieval setting, there would be NO female warriors. Women would be relegated to staying home and having children. Not really the most exciting gameplay.

There were warrior women, and even commanders around different parts of the world: https://womenshistorymonth.wordpress.com/resources/women-and-series/women-and-war/female-warriors/
    Sure, but you're forgetting the ratio. 1 woman among tens of thousands men isn't setting any standards.
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There were... but they were the exception, not the norm (especially where the Bretons would be concerned, deriving much of their racial theme from the Celtic Bretons of Saxony and France). Consider that the list in your link spans 1000 years and fits on one page.

In any case, that's beside the point. The point is in the Elder Scrolls world, female warriors are normal. Same sex relationships are also normal. Thus it makes no sense to prevent male characters doing something (wearing traditionally female accoutrements) that really should be normal, considering these other behaviours.
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    H
    There is nothing wrong that people who come to play medieval themed game don't want to see something that doesn't fit it at all.

LOL if you're looking for a "medieval themed game" then you've come to the wrong place. The TES universe is its own unique fantasy setting with no real-world cognate. Just because people are using swords and bows doesn't mean that this is some run-of-the-mill western european knockoff alternative history.

I can also say that if you are looking for pink unicorns this is game is not for you.

Edit: also you clearly don't see the difference between medieval and medieval themed.

How is it a medieval themed fantasy when the elves act more along the line of that of the Renaissance or Victorian? Just because it has a sword and shield in the game doesn't mean that its medieval and feudalism wasn't a medieval only thing. If the game were a medieval fantasy it'd be like Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Point is, it's hard to talk about Immersion in cosmetics when disco mounts and skins exists. If people want to put adornments on literally everything, let them.
    Edited by Claudman on December 24, 2018 9:40PM
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • StormChaser3000
    StormChaser3000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    H

You're convinced that there were no cross-dressing people in medieval or medieval-themed history?

Do you also have a shallow immersive experience with the medieval or medieval-themed cat and lizard races with their mammary *** anomalies? Cats have 6 or 8 breasts; lizards don't have any. Even the medieval or medieval-themed ones.
    Unless the Argonians are monotremes like Echidna or Platypus. But those have mammary glands inside a pouch, so you wouldn't see gender-specific ***-rings there.

My initial reaction to not being able to place female-only jewellery on my male characters was that the game designers are sexist homophobes. It's more likely that the development costs were seen as prohibitive, given the number of players that might actually use this feature, if it were available.

EDIT: given how the profanity filter has applied itself, I'm returning to sexist homophobes as the cause.

They were either in circuses or burnt on fires. Sorry, the harsh reality of life in those times. I'm just stating facts. No personal affiliation, I'm 99.9% neutral.

And you still don't feel the difference between "medieval" and "medieval-themed". Try to think more.

@Claudman
    Most of the mounts still fit the lore. And I wasn't against adornments, it was about more significant changes.

Gosh... how did this topic come to this?
    Edited by StormChaser3000 on December 24, 2018 9:53PM
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    H

They were either in circuses or burnt on fires. Sorry, the harsh reality of life in those times. I'm just stating facts. No personal affiliation, I'm 99.9% neutral.

And you still don't feel the difference between "medieval" and "medieval-themed". Try to think more.

I think the term you're looking for is "dark fantasy".

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

• StormChaser3000
    StormChaser3000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Claudman wrote: »

Mmm.. close, but those have darker atmosphere. ESO feels like a lighter genre in my opinion.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Greystag wrote: »
    I'm much more bothered by the large amount of people using pink and green dyes on their armour to be honest.

Thanks for noticing. ;D

By the way, what's wrong with pink, or green, cloth or leather armour?

Both of those colours can be produced with natural, vegetable and fruit dyes.
    Edited by Tigerseye on December 24, 2018 10:14PM
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mmm.. close, but those have darker atmosphere. ESO feels like a lighter genre in my opinion.

I'll have to disagree on that. Considering what sort of God which Molag Bal himself is.

• Chiefdrake
    Chiefdrake
    ✭✭
    I want this too. I just wanna play a big strong man with a pretty flower in his hair. Not to mention there are some gorgeous jewelries there!
    Irivan V'kali -- Hlaalu Dunmer -- Nightblade
    "For we, the faithful of Vaermina, know true fear."
    "Look, I'm not saying I'm afraid of Kagouti, s'wit. I'm just saying that-- given the choice between facing the entire Aldmeri Dominion military or a Kagouti in rut-- I'll take the uptight Aldmer any day."
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    H

@Claudman
    Most of the mounts still fit the lore. And I wasn't against adornments, it was about more significant changes.

You didn't answer the question about whether your immersive experience is also made more shallow by cats with too few mammary glands and lizards with too many.

I would propose a suggestion for the Khajiits - which is that, since they evolved to be humanoid, they now tend to have fewer (more developed) offspring, at any one time.

Like humans do.

So, require fewer mammary glands to feed them than their cat ancestors did.

In regards to the Argonians, I guess that would just have to be due to convergent evolution?
    Edited by Tigerseye on December 24, 2018 10:32PM
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    H

So, are you saying that it would be OK for male characters to wear female jewellery as long as it was only in a medieval or medieval-themed circus or witch hunt? This suggests circuses are a post-medieval event

Well, I thought about it more; and yes, I do see the difference. One would be historically accurate and the other would be loosely-based on history, relevant to the period.

@Claudman

There were no circuses in medieval history for any such theme to be based on. During medieval history, from 500-1500, men in various cultures around the world were not only wearing many forms of facial ornaments, but also makeup and wigs. Along with frilly, lacy clothing. In medieval history, male babies were dressed in protective pink cloth and female babies were dressed in blue.

I suggest that whatever you personally don't want to see in this game is based on the .1% of you that is not neutral.

• rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if you want to cross dress, you can do it with costumes, where females can wear mens clothing and vice versa. Jewelry sure whatever.
    M_Volsung wrote: »
    Alternatively, why can't my Nord female have a proper beard, like any true Nord would?

But if you want your character to have a beard, make a male character. Women do not have beards.
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
  • StormChaser3000
    StormChaser3000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Tigerseye
    I'm not obligated to since it's outside the main topic and I have better things to do on Christmas evening.

@Androconium
    Fist of all it looked nothing like what people try to create in the game. Secondly there were freak shows which used all sorts of tools to attract viewers.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to mention that some of the men wore extremely high heels.... I'd have to go google for when that was, probably not medieval though. Hmm. Think it might have been in France during one of the Louis' reigns - but most likely after 1600.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would totally understand males using female addornments if they were skinny, with some fat and somewhat feminine in their looks, but what I see usually are big strong orcs or nords with muscles bigger than their heads and a lot of body hair. What the hell?

Here are my boys, very muscles, much hairy wow :p
    Feast your eyes on these beauties

Here is one of my bosmer boys, O'risen, nightblade.
    GuwwFbP.jpg
    QLnV0vu.jpg
    i5w5c9.jpg

And here is my other bosmer boy Belacqua Andswaru, templar
    vgqbo.jpg

Here is my latest boy, Oisin Faolan, Warden tank
    1VPdENp.jpg
    jrPlr1P.jpg
    NvsPZXB.jpg

Most recent stam dk, Mas Amune
    Ab7kXbB.jpg
    Edited by max_only on December 25, 2018 3:30AM
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heh, ZOS always cleans up the posts of people who in their opinion have rather mildly conservative views. Shame on you for suppressing the freedom of speech.

Uh...
    ZOS cleans up any post relating to real life politics regardless of which stance someone is..

Horse Hockey!

You can post a picture of the 44th president of the United states and as long as it's complementary it stays, post 45 and you will get a long vacation or a full ban

I'm not particularly political one way or the other but there is extreme bias politically among the developers on the forums in the community and even in the games story line....no matter how much anyone tries to shuck and jive their way around it, there has been way too many instances that prove otherwise.

One of the devs even admitted it on their Facebook.

Apolitical needs to be an even playing field, don't expect anyone to respect it otherwise, and don't expect half of your community to stay if they are treated like second class citizens.

Edited by Rain_Greyraven on December 25, 2018 1:24AM
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
  • Ragged_Claw
    Ragged_Claw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if you want to cross dress, you can do it with costumes, where females can wear mens clothing and vice versa. Jewelry sure whatever.
    M_Volsung wrote: »
    Alternatively, why can't my Nord female have a proper beard, like any true Nord would?

But if you want your character to have a beard, make a male character. Women do not have beards.

a) I think that was a light-hearted comment
    b) Many women do have beards (or would if they didn't have treatments to remove the hair)
    c) No, I don't think we should have beards for female characters, but the adornments should be usable whatever.
    PC EU & NA
  • Ravena
    Ravena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now with Summerset we've even got a transgendered NPC, but guys still can't wear adornments!

How can this be a fantasy game if I can't make an elven pretty boy?
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Heh, ZOS always cleans up the posts of people who in their opinion have rather mildly conservative views. Shame on you for suppressing the freedom of speech.

Uh...
    ZOS cleans up any post relating to real life politics regardless of which stance someone is..

Horse Hockey!

You can post a picture of the 44th president of the United states and as long as it's complementary it stays, post 45 and you will get a long vacation or a full ban

I'm not particularly political one way or the other but there is extreme bias politically among the developers on the forums in the community and even in the games story line....no matter how much anyone tries to shuck and jive their way around it, there has been way too many instances that prove otherwise.

One of the devs even admitted it on their Facebook.

Apolitical needs to be an even playing field, don't expect anyone to respect it otherwise, and don't expect half of your community to stay if they are treated like second class citizens.

The moment you go full political and take a side(as dev) you can be sure that you'll bomb sooner or later.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    H

@Claudman

You didn't answer the question about whether your immersive experience is also made more shallow by cats with too few mammary glands and lizards with too many.

I would propose a suggestion for the Khajiits - which is that, since they evolved to be humanoid, they now tend to have fewer (more developed) offspring, at any one time.

Like humans do.

In regards to the Argonians, I guess that would just have to be due to convergent evolution?

There is no real evolution in tes universe. Everything on Nirn is/are spirits shaped by stronger spirits. Khajiit and Argonians are specifically shaped by "Gods" (the Hist is a God of a destroyed world)

Physics in Nirn are the eight divines that sacrificed themselves to become the base in which Nirn is formed (earth bones etc) the stars are holes created by Magnus when he forceably left Nirn - an act which turned him into the "physics" of magic.

There's really no sense in using any reasoning irl to explain TES
    Edited by Waffennacht on December 25, 2018 1:44AM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    H

@Claudman

Like humans do.

There is no real evolution in tes universe. Everything on Nirn is/are spirits shaped by stronger spirits. Khajiit and Argonians are specifically shaped by "Gods" (the Hist is a God of a destroyed world)

Physics in Nirn are the eight divines that sacrificed themselves to become the base in which Nirn is formed (earth bones etc) the stars are holes created by Magnus when he forceably left Nirn - an act which turned him into the "physics" of magic.

There's really no sense in using any reasoning irl to explain TES

Yeah.... it's actually one of the oddest "creation tales" I've ever run across. And that includes some truly oddball stuff I've written myself.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes why can't I make a fat female Bosmer and give her a beard, like a female dwarf?

DDqB2UOUIAAK1GW.jpg
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, just no.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sheezabeast - far as I'm concerned you should be able to go there!
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really want the short boycut for one of my chars. At least give us that??
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"