The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Worlds first veteran blackprison & "The Unchained" by Hodor

• Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    @Turelus @Eweroun

The only reason vMOL was not cleared on PTS was because it was technically IMPOSSIBLE to get past 2nd boss due to crashes.

It is funny tho that people think vmol was "harder" when it launched on pts. Reality is, ZOS just had very buggy Trials back in the day where you could not finish a single fight without someone getting booted from the server on pts.And because could not get past the 2nd boss nobody could really check out the last boss.

Halls of Fabrication was the first trial on PTS which was somehow semi stable and doable.

But yes, power creep is completely out of control in this game.
    Edited by Alcast on October 24, 2018 10:44AM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    firedrgn wrote: »
    Did you use any magsorcs? Im just here to be salty.

A magicka sorc healer if that counts :hushed:

Love that! ;)
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »
    The only reason vMOL was not cleared on PTS was because it was technically IMPOSSIBLE to get past 2nd boss due to crashes.

It is funny tho that people think vmol was "harder" when it launched on pts. Reality is, ZOS just had very buggy Trials back in the day where you could not finish a single fight without someone getting booted from the server on pts.And because could not get past the 2nd boss nobody could really check out the last boss.

Halls of Fabrication was the first trial on PTS which was somehow semi stable and doable.
    Interesting. So the chases on live in the past were mostly just because of bugs rather than the challenge of the content?
    I had always assumed it was more to do with just new mechanics or balance passes happening at those times which made it take a bit longer to progress through.

I know you've expressed desires for a mode akin to Nightmare from other games, for those modes would you say it's just balance of characters or boss numbers or would they need harder mechanics as well to really push a group to something new.

Also how do your groups feel about the mini-game style mechanics used in other games raids, like players being set as specific colours and needing to stand on corresponding or opposing coloured platforms to damage bosses or avoid powerful attacks.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    Turelus wrote: »
    albesca wrote: »
    My gripes are always more about the general disappointment that content is cleared within the first hour every update. Hodor are great at what they do and I respect that, but something needs to change to stop these first hour clears on live every new trial/arena.

I understand the hard position ZOS is in to make things accessible to the moderate skill players (like myself) but surely even for ZOS (and Hodor) there is some level of sadness that this keeps happening.

I'd be curious to know how many PTS runs they needed to be able to clear the arena so fast and how many times they died in their first run.

That said, fiendishly difficult content that tasks even top player would serve only a very niche customer base, and adding a third tier on top of normal and veteran would mean adding new mechanics that, again, very few people would see, but would need a top player testing team to fine tune.
    From what I saw they beat veteran first try, not a no death run, but Alcast streamed it and it was cleared within a couple of hours.

The days of challenging PvE for the end game guilds are long gone, I don't think we've seen slow progression since vMoL or vHoF.

That's funny, because for the average player, content keeps getting harder and harder. I watched a few minutes of Alcast's video for the new 4 man arena, and I just shut it off half way through. There's no way I'm going to remember all THAT... Run over here, run over there, catch the ghosts, purge the curse, blah blah blah.

I like the ORIGINAL ESO, where monsters would pop up and you just had to kill them. Healers healed, tanks tanked and DPS deeped. Why can't we have that kind of gameplay back? I don't want to watch YouTube videos like I'm studying for the LSAT every friggin time a new DLC comes out!

Agreed. Why do people post negativity on these brag/"first" posts? Because content is becoming harder and harder. Trials become harder, vet dungeons become harder, arenas become harder. And everytime some try-hard from Hodor posts these "first" posts 5 minutes after the servers come back up, the devs see it as an excuse to make content even harder the next time.

I've done vet Scalecaller simply to get my Zaan gear, other than that I haven't run a single of the newer dungeons on vet, not to mention any of the trials on vet ever since vMoL, and I would prefer ZOS uses my subscriptions money and crown store purchases to make content that I actually intend to interact with, instead of creating content that's only catering to Hodor and the 0.1 % margin.

That's why people react the way they do in these posts, not out of envy or spite.

This. I can't help but feel the nerf to shields is because of stuff like this, tbqh. They claim that power creep is out of control so ZOS does stuff that nerfs everything instead of just the ceiling, meanwhile vet content has some of the lowest completion ratios of any MMO I have ever been in because the game isn't actually easy at all.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on October 24, 2018 11:03AM
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    Alcast wrote: »

Interesting. So the chases on live in the past were mostly just because of bugs rather than the challenge of the content?
    I had always assumed it was more to do with just new mechanics or balance passes happening at those times which made it take a bit longer to progress through.

I know you've expressed desires for a mode akin to Nightmare from other games, for those modes would you say it's just balance of characters or boss numbers or would they need harder mechanics as well to really push a group to something new.

Also how do your groups feel about the mini-game style mechanics used in other games raids, like players being set as specific colours and needing to stand on corresponding or opposing coloured platforms to damage bosses or avoid powerful attacks.

Maw of Lorkhaj was also the first "real trial" after the huge rework of the game. People were used to vAA, HRC, SO speeding through in 5 minutes, no shields no mitigation no nothing because just target dummies.

vMOL was the first trial that changed that a bit. So people had to adjust. But yes, the only reason it was not cleared on pts was because you could NOT get past 2nd boss due to disconnects/crashes xD. That way you could not really try out last boss and therefore had to do that on the live server.

The only real challenge this game ever offered was Tick Tock Achievement, because that one has everything, no death, speedrun, hardmode with a very long trial where you can't make any mistakes. But even that is a joke now because you can just nuke every boss into the ground thx to CP increase and other changes.
    Trial was about 40 minutes long, dps was decent so we actually had to redo most mechanics several times, you could not slack because time was really short calculated to finish it in time.

Nowadays, mini trials we do not even need to try to get speedrun, it just "happens" xD

Nightmare mode, just remove CP and change nothing else. You loose so much dps, you loose max resources bc of no cp, have to invest more in heallth points etc. You loose the completely broken red defensive CP which make everything hit like a noodle.

Tbh I am not even sure if some of the content could be completed without CP, :trollface: Would be interesting to find out.

About different mechanics, yes I would like to see more mechanics like that, but look at the new arena, ZOS just is so lazy creating new content. They just copy paste everything from old content into the "new" one. No new exciting mechanics or group splits. Even DSA had freaking groupsplit on stage 9 where you had to go down and kill the ghosts. New arena zos puts defile debuff on every single mob so a healer stays "relevant" in the content. Only way you can really die is because of one shot mechanics, which there are plenty of, nobody likes those.
    Edited by Alcast on October 24, 2018 10:59AM

• GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, guys. Tell you what.. having lots of practice on this or not, it's still a lot of time and efforts being put in. Such luxury I don't have for this game; hence I am the long time casual ESO player. However, you guys would be dangerous if ESO ever transcend to a professional competition venue with its trials.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zos : Too easy? Ok :D
  • Love Wizard
    Love Wizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the nice comments, means alot!
    @IWM - EU - Member of Hodor
    Mashinate - Highelf Nightblade (Inactive)
    Love Wizard - Dunmer Dragonknight (Inactive)
    Godblade - Highelf Nightblade (Active)
    Mashixo - Dunmer Sorcerer (Inactive)
    Hjelmi's Sister - Dunmer Nightblade (Inactive)
    Mashiex - Orc Nightblade (Active)
    Beaminate - Dunmer Templar (Inactive)
    Kittynate - Khajiit Nightblade (Inactive)
    Godmancer - Orc Necromancer (Active)

Server: EU || Guilds: Hodor & Banana Squad || Previously Zerg Squad || Nightblade Lover

Scores: vMoL - 170840 | vSO - 177392 | vHRC - 159696 | vHoF - 221111| vAS - 115810| vCR - 132661 | vBP - 101083 | vSS - 247438

Achievements: Tick Tock Tormentor x3 - Immortal Redeemer x6 - Gryphon Heart x5 - The Unchained x1 - Godslayer x1

Worlds First Vet Maw of Lorkhaj Clear (Hodor! & Hodor!)
    Worlds First Vet Halls of Fabrication HM Clear - Worlds First vHoF Speedrun(Hodor!)
    World Record for All Trials Pre Thieves Guild Patch (Hodor!)
    Worlds First Tick Tock & Disassembly General (No death speedrun HM vHoF)
    Worlds First vAS Hardmode
    Worlds First Cloudrest clear, and hardmode
    Worlds First Cloudrest HM Nodeathspeedrun (Gryphon Heart)
    Worlds First Blackrose Prison clear
    Worlds First "The Unchained" title (vBP speedrun, nodeath, no sigils)
    World Record for all the Trials (Murkmire)
    Worlds First Godslayer
  • Inig0
    Inig0
    ✭✭✭✭
    oh my god how dare you do content at your convenience smh my head.
    GM: Mechanically Challenged
    In game - @Inig0
    Sorc - Inigo- Beautiful Chocolate Man
    NB - Raphiki - Beautiful Chocolate Man
    Temp - Ineegø - ınıgo
    DK - Inigø - Alfeus - Down for Maintenance
    Warden - Help I Made a Warden
    PC NA
    Youtube Stuffs
    Only the best memes die twice
  • Horowonnoe
    Horowonnoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow great job!
    PC / NA
    Templar Healer "False Eye"
    Sorc Healer "Potema the Wolf Queen"
    Warden Healer "Heavy Attacks Online"
    Magicka Nightblade DPS "Nephaleth Telvanni"
    Dragonknight Tank "Nico's Facsimile"

Builds & Guides:
    Horow's Templar Healer Guide for Trials (Murkmire updated)
    How to get Felms to jump correctly in vAS HM?
    Horow's vMA Magicka Sorc Build for beginners and lazy farmers
    Horow's Magicka Sorc Triple Pet Heavy Attack Build - Summerset Isles Ready
    More builds at anthem-guild.com/pve/.

Notable Achievements:
    - World's first 18 Axes vAA clear
    - World's first 20+ enrage stack Llothis in vAS HM and World record cone damage
  • Audens
    Audens
    ✭✭✭
    Rich said they used respawn sets
    unban my first account thanks
  • TheMythicDawn
    TheMythicDawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Audens wrote: »

the best of the best couldn't get a no death without Phoenix cheese? interesting
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My gripes are always more about the general disappointment that content is cleared within the first hour every update. Hodor are great at what they do and I respect that, but something needs to change to stop these first hour clears on live every new trial/arena.

I understand the hard position ZOS is in to make things accessible to the moderate skill players (like myself) but surely even for ZOS (and Hodor) there is some level of sadness that this keeps happening.

I'd be curious to know how many PTS runs they needed to be able to clear the arena so fast and how many times they died in their first run.

That said, fiendishly difficult content that tasks even top player would serve only a very niche customer base, and adding a third tier on top of normal and veteran would mean adding new mechanics that, again, very few people would see, but would need a top player testing team to fine tune.
    From what I saw they beat veteran first try, not a no death run, but Alcast streamed it and it was cleared within a couple of hours.

The days of challenging PvE for the end game guilds are long gone, I don't think we've seen slow progression since vMoL or vHoF.

That's funny, because for the average player, content keeps getting harder and harder. I watched a few minutes of Alcast's video for the new 4 man arena, and I just shut it off half way through. There's no way I'm going to remember all THAT... Run over here, run over there, catch the ghosts, purge the curse, blah blah blah.

I like the ORIGINAL ESO, where monsters would pop up and you just had to kill them. Healers healed, tanks tanked and DPS deeped. Why can't we have that kind of gameplay back? I don't want to watch YouTube videos like I'm studying for the LSAT every friggin time a new DLC comes out!

THIS. SO. MUCH. THIS. I have to quote this because *** it THIS.

and Turelus had EXACTLY the sort of response that annoys the crap out of me. from his replies has hasn't actualy personaly even done that, he just saw that Hodor did a no death run on live and immediately decided that arena is not challenging enough. meanwhile I have guildies who were having seriously trouble with stage 4 and they are infinitely better players than I am....

you see, I think what Hodor manages IS impressive. and they absolutely deserve congratulations. but that. does. not. mean. that content is too easy.

its like judging difficulty of ... I don't know - american ninja warrior obstacle courses as easy on a basis of highly skilled and highly trained professionals being able to traverse them in a single continuous run..... its insane. and completely inapplicable to us average humans.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »

THIS. SO. MUCH. THIS. I have to quote this because *** it THIS.

and Turelus had EXACTLY the sort of response that annoys the crap out of me. from his replies has hasn't actualy personaly even done that, he just saw that Hodor did a no death run on live and immediately decided that arena is not challenging enough. meanwhile I have guildies who were having seriously trouble with stage 4 and they are infinitely better players than I am....

you see, I think what Hodor manages IS impressive. and they absolutely deserve congratulations. but that. does. not. mean. that content is too easy.

its like judging difficulty of ... I don't know - american ninja warrior obstacle courses as easy on a basis of highly skilled and highly trained professionals being able to traverse them in a single continuous run..... its insane. and completely inapplicable to us average humans.

Using these people to judge whether this content is too difficult is like if your coach judged whether or not you were pulling your weight on your track team by using Usain Bolt's records.

It is insane.
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "Content too easy"
    meanwhile
    your average random dies at Spindle1hm on last boss because he can't time his dodge.
  • iceman784
    iceman784
    ✭✭✭

I mean if you just want something to kill just make it yourself. Get a bunch of target dummies, make a course akin to a trial in your house and go have fun with your friends... or alone because just hitting stuff with no mechanics is boring af and it would be hard to find people for that
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

Has a point.

Players keep saying content is too easy. The devs idea on changing that is creating a bunch of combat mechanics you have to keep track of ontop of the usual rotation and staying healthy. I still have no idea what half the stuff going on in Cloudrest really is and ive run it several times now.

That's the way trials should be. If I wanted to just stand there and do my rotation until the boss is dead I'd either beat on a test dummy or go do Craglorn trials. I much prefer extra mechanics over "let's just make everything hit harder and slap some more HP on the boss".
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on getting it done. No hating on y'all for it. Yeah you playtested the hell out of it on PTS.... so would anyone who wants to get it right on day one.

What i'd like to see is ZOS create and release a "private trial" where it has been made and tested by them only, so no player base practice and is then released on all platforms at the exact same time. That way there's a race for "world's first."

Also make it so addons that basically hold your hand through it don’t work so it's literally player and team skill. Or let consoles have addons too to give a fair playing field for the game.

Would HODOR get the world's first on such a trial. Maybe, maybe not. Would be cool to see.
    Dark Flare is the Beginning, Radiant is the End. Hail the Light Bringers!
  • Cheezits94
    Cheezits94
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Audens wrote: »

the best of the best couldn't get a no death without Phoenix cheese? interesting

@ChrisToTheCanvas
    They uploaded the whole run to youtube, there clearly is not a single proc of either Phoenix or Yokeda. So no, they were obviously not wearing any of these sets.
    I watched the whole video.
    If you can't even spell sets, locations and items, you probably have no clue what you even are talking about.

Tamriel, not Tamerial, Temerial or Tamériál
    Alkosh, not Alkoash
    Dolmen, not Dolman
    Olorime, not Oloramie
    Sorcerer, not Sorceror
  • BlazingDynamo
    BlazingDynamo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly this world's first stuff in ESO isn't even a feat anymore. Go back and watch Redeem's 19 hour World's First Last Wish raid run in D2. Now that's a World's First worthy of being called so. No practicing the raid for months before release. Completely blind and on your own. Racing against many many other groups. So sweaty.

I wish ESO would stop with PTS raid testing. Kills any credibility for world's first clears.

Get salty but it's truer than true. There's zero excitement for ESO when a new raid launches. We all know Hodor is god tier.

Put them in blind next time and drop the raid a week after the launch of the new patch to give all teams a fair fight. Would pay to watch that.
    Edited by BlazingDynamo on October 25, 2018 12:19AM
  • TheMythicDawn
    TheMythicDawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cheezits94

If Rich said they used respawn sets, then they used respawn sets, period. It doesnt matter what the OP shows on youtube, or in their cropped screenshots.

they probably used phoenix as an insurance policy to guarentee they could get the unchained achievement asap and farm that juicy worlds first salt.

if you dont think a group like that could get multiple no death / close to no death runs back to back you aren't giving them credit, no one is really saying otherwise.

However if Rich said they used respawn sets, then thats what they did. Someone from the group is free to say otherwise. Cropped screenshots and youtube videos dont matter when achievements are character specific, not accountwide and this is a question of world's first unchained achievement

The op even admits they only had one death in there first run so it probably went something like this

1st run - speedrun, hardmode, 1 death (take screenshots of achieves)
    2nd run - speedrun, hardmode, no death (use phoenix as insurance policy, take screenshot of last achieve)
    3rd run (after the nerves for scrambling for worlds first in which they are the only ones racing are gone) - speedrun, hardmode, no death (on an alt character hours later), upload THAT vid to youtube

• ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's why they join PTS :)
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Facefister wrote: »
    "Content too easy"
    meanwhile
    your average random dies at Spindle1hm on last boss because he can't time his dodge.

That was me! Couldn’t see what the hell I was supposed to be dodging for the longest time.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulation peeps!
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
  • Cheezits94
    Cheezits94
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ChrisToTheCanvas dude you can check that the video they uploaded are the same characters that popped up highest on the leaderboards shortly after the patch went live, no alts. I play on PC EU. The leaderboard is very short. xD no "uploading good run hours later on alts", list is too short. First alt-run they did was even livestreamed yesterday. I dunno what world you live in. I was searching the forums everywhere for that "they used Phoenix" confirmation by @ZOS_RichLambert , I couldn't find anything, and then I found this conversation on Twitter where Rich seemed to troll a bit and they seemed to kid around with each other. Is that what you mean? :hushed: I would not call that proof.

Edited by Cheezits94 on October 25, 2018 7:03AM
    If you can't even spell sets, locations and items, you probably have no clue what you even are talking about.

Tamriel, not Tamerial, Temerial or Tamériál
    Alkosh, not Alkoash
    Dolmen, not Dolman
    Olorime, not Oloramie
    Sorcerer, not Sorceror
  • TheMythicDawn
    TheMythicDawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cheezits94

i haven't checked out the video because i dont want to spoil the content, and no you are right razzing on twitter is hardly proof of anything.

but alcast has used phoenix to secure no death achievements before like mountain god from scalecaller peak so when it was mentioned above the group did the same thing for blackrose it wouldnt suprise me

not that there is anything wrong with using phoenix imo, apart from being a little cheesey. i still would be interested to hear someone from the group admit if they ever had respawn sets on during their runs up until the unchained clear just for transparency

but again not like it even matters or devalues from the achievement, because it doesnt
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »
    Congrats, guys. Tell you what.. having lots of practice on this or not, it's still a lot of time and efforts being put in. Such luxury I don't have for this game; hence I am the long time casual ESO player. However, you guys would be dangerous if ESO ever transcend to a professional competition venue with its trials.

ESO will never turn into something competetive with real life prizes bound to it, dont you worry.
    For that the public interest, audience and competition is way too small.
    The games golden age is already over, its only getting worse from here on.
    Edited by ATomiX96 on October 25, 2018 7:41AM
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    GG Nerds ))
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    @Cheezits94

If Rich said they used respawn sets, then they used respawn sets, period. It doesnt matter what the OP shows on youtube, or in their cropped screenshots.

they probably used phoenix as an insurance policy to guarentee they could get the unchained achievement asap and farm that juicy worlds first salt.

if you dont think a group like that could get multiple no death / close to no death runs back to back you aren't giving them credit, no one is really saying otherwise.

However if Rich said they used respawn sets, then thats what they did. Someone from the group is free to say otherwise. Cropped screenshots and youtube videos dont matter when achievements are character specific, not accountwide and this is a question of world's first unchained achievement

The op even admits they only had one death in there first run so it probably went something like this

1st run - speedrun, hardmode, 1 death (take screenshots of achieves)
    2nd run - speedrun, hardmode, no death (use phoenix as insurance policy, take screenshot of last achieve)
    3rd run (after the nerves for scrambling for worlds first in which they are the only ones racing are gone) - speedrun, hardmode, no death (on an alt character hours later), upload THAT vid to youtube

Rich was trolling lmao, its a meme at this point because we used those sets when Scalecaller Peak was bugged. We did NOT use Pheonix or Yokeda in the arena, dps would be too low. The FULL video is on youtube and throughout the full run nobodies health ever drops to 0.

Edited by Alcast on October 25, 2018 7:55AM

• TheMythicDawn
    TheMythicDawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well I got trolled hard, I will eat my words lol