The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Oceanic Lag now 300-400 ms even with a vpn - was 250-300??

• TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gronoxvx wrote: »
    I wonder if zos will send anyone to pax aus this year. If they do im sure they'll enjoy their time here.

ZOS should be ashamed to show their faces in public in Australia.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • CiliPadi
    CiliPadi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay! We made it to page 40. ZERO reponse from ZOS. Awesome!
  • wasm32trojan
    CiliPadi wrote: »

Because we in "General ESO Discussion" not in Tech Support branch imho...
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭

😮
  • LordGavus
    LordGavus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably.
    I posted a thread in tech support and it was closed in an hour.

Too many duplicate bad oceanic ping threads. I wonder if that is a message in its self...
  • Heady
    Heady
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s funny seeing all these threads screaming for answers about other issues

Smh get in line lmao
  • CelticStones
    CelticStones
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS have addressed the AUS/NZ ping issue.... They have given us all this.

'Hey there Aussie & Kiwi ESO fans!
    We have finally opened an Instagram account and would love it if you followed us there <3'

Problem solved.
  • FurySevenSix
    FurySevenSix
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All, The matter of servers for the ANZ region has been addressed by the ZOS team in the past, you can read the full response here.
  • GlorphNoldorin
    GlorphNoldorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The matter of routing through Akamai for cyber protection has not yet been addressed, thank you for your input
  • Heady
    Heady
    ✭✭✭✭
    old mate must not have gone through the last 20 or so pages lmao
  • LordGavus
    LordGavus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi All, The matter of servers for the ANZ region has been addressed by the ZOS team in the past, you can read the full response here.

Cool.
    While we are sharing info unrelated to this thread, I had chicken salad for lunch.

Now, where's the guy that will explain how a VPN won't help our ping.
  • Coggo
    Coggo
    ✭✭✭
    LordGavus wrote: »

Cool.
    While we are sharing info unrelated to this thread, I had chicken salad for lunch.

Now, where's the guy that will explain how a VPN won't help our ping.

And don't forget the "it didn't happen to me" guy totally diminishing the lived experience of every single commentator in this epic thread.
  • robbolicious
    robbolicious
    ✭✭
    BUMP
  • Delparis
    Delparis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just play FF14 100 times better than ESO with less lag for you if you play on Japan servers
  • Voltranox
    Voltranox
    ✭✭✭
    LordGavus wrote: »
    I had chicken salad for lunch.
    Having a chicken salad for lunch is considered flame-grilled. As your salad contained unnecessary ping, we are closing this thread in celebration of prompt and effective customer service. Thank you for having lunch!
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS, all it would take is an email from you to Akamai, to ask them not to spoof your server IP in their Hong Kong Prolexic Scrubbers.

Or more to the point, ask them why we are not being routed through Akamai Sydney?

Are we so regionally insignificant that you won't even do that?
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • not4us
    not4us
    ✭✭✭
    So I decided to raise a Support Ticket about this see how far I would get... Only to have them tell me that this is not a Technical Support issue! Apparently this is just feedback. Just amazing.
    See ticket below:

Customer message: 08/18/2019 09:41 PM
    Over the last few months my latency to the ESO US server has been getting worse to the point of being almost unplayable.
    I'm in Australia but traffic is getting routed through Hong Kong (see attached trace to your official IP address of 198.20.198.110 as indicated in your support articvle https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30903/~/how-do-i-do-a-pathping-and-tracert-to-the-servers-to-test-my-connection).
    Latency used to be 200ms to 250 ms, but with over 300 ms and sometimes in the highs 400ms it becomes unplayable.
    This has been going on for a while and it appears that the use of the Akamai scrubbers is to blame but we need it fixed as as this is affecting all of your OCeanic customers.

The Elder Scrolls Online Team message: 08/18/2019 09:44 PM
    Greetings,
    Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team!
    I understand how frustrating it can be when experiencing lag in game and we are dedicated to providing you with the best possible gameplay experience. Many players have reported success in alleviating lag issues by following these troubleshooting steps:
    • Configure your router to open the following outbound ports:
    o TCP / UDP Ports 24100 through 24131
    o TCP / UDP Ports 24300 through 24331
    o TCP / UDP Ports 24500 through 24507
    o TCP Port 80
    o TCP Port 433
    • Update the firmware of your router, as this prevents that an outdated firmware interferes on your connection.
    • Try to put your modem/router far from all electrical devices and do not coil up any excess signal or power cables (to eliminate possible interference problems).
    To keep notified of any updates regarding this issue, please subscribe to this help article.
    We also recommend that you keep an eye on our latest patch notes for information on our most recent bug fixes.
    We greatly appreciate your continued interest and support!
    Kind Regards,
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team

Customer message: 08/18/2019 11:34 PM
    Hi there,
    Thank you for your reply, however you seem to have missed the point of my message completely.
    The problem is not at my end, is the DDOS protection service Zenimax Online / Bethesda uses (Akamai) that is causing my (and all of Oceania) latency issue. Just look at the trace I sent in my original ticket and you will see.
    I am a Senior System Engineer / Network Administrator and know what I'm talking about.
    Just for your comfort, I don't have any type of firewall /port restrictions on my end. I'm running the latest firmware on my router and have experienced the same issue from different Internet connections (100mbit/s HFC, 400mb/s fibre, 4G wireless) and from different computers and the problem persists.
    I know you have announced performance fixes fro the future, but this particular issue that affect all of Oceania hasn't been mentioned in those future fixes and none of the things being worked on will affect it as it's a routing issue with the company you employ for DDOS Protection (Akamai).
    I would gladly direct my complaints to Akamai but they won't listen as I'm not their customer, ZOS/Bethesda is.
    All I ask is for you to understand what the problem is and raise an internal ticket to get it investigated rather than try to put to the problem on my end when it clearly isn't.
    Cheers and sorry for the venting but it's been a pretty frustrating few months of bad latency.

The Elder Scrolls Online Team message: 08/21/2019 12:47 PM
    Greetings Jorge,
    Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team.
    We appreciate your feedback regarding the latency issues you are experiencing. Should you be interested in receiving network troubleshooting, please let us know. Otherwise, please refer to the following information below to submit a feedback report:
    Open the in-game Chat Box.
    Type "/feedback" or "/bug" and press [Enter].
    Or you can press [F1] to open the Help menu.
    Select the "Impact" and the "Issue Category" of your report and provide any additional information in the "Description" field.
    If desired, you can also tick the box to provide a screenshot of the issue.
    Click Submit once complete.
    Your in-game report will include details about your character and location as well as other useful information to help the Development Team figure out what is causing the issue. Please be as detailed as possible.
    Note: Bug reports and feedback are not sent to our support team and will not receive a response. If you need help from support, please use the /help function within the game.
    Thank you for your continued interest and support!
    Warm Regards,
    Nadia
    Keep an eye on our official Facebook, Twitter, and website for upcoming news about The Elder Scrolls Online, including release-date info:
    https://www.facebook.com/ElderScrollsOnline
    http://twitter.com/TESOnline
    http://elderscrollsonline.com

Customer message: 08/21/2019 06:46 PM
    Hi Nadia,
    I think you got it wrong.
    I'm not simply providing feedback, I'm raising and issue that has arisen as a consequence of technical changes you made and that is affecting the way I (and everyone else in the Oceanic region) plays the game.
    I'm astounded to hear that you don't consider this a technical support issue.
    As I mentioned before, I am Senior Systems Engineer / Network Administrator for a big multinational and do Level 3 support and I know very well when a ticket is support and when it's feedback, and this case is clearly a Technical Support issue.
    Even your Community Manager, Gina Bruno, suggested in the forums to raise a ticket to get support on this issue.
    Regardless of this, I'll play game and do the /feedback /bug thing in-game, but after having played ESO form ore than 1000 hours since beta on and off, been an ESO plus subscriber for years and bought all the expansions and extra copies of the game for friends and family, I'm now seriously considering not playing anymore or give you guys any money seeing how poorly you look after your customers in my region.
    Cheers,
    Jorge
  • Heady
    Heady
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like how they don’t t even read what you say hahahahaha
    Edited by Heady on August 22, 2019 12:27AM
  • CH77
    CH77
    ✭✭✭
    Heady wrote: »

That's just typical *** ZOS support - I can't count how many times I've submitted a ticket and gotten a reply which bears absolutely no relation to my query.

They probably scan for certain words and have pre-written responses for those - or perhaps some sort of AI (unlikely?) to do it automatically.
  • Heady
    Heady
    ✭✭✭✭
    CH77 wrote: »

That's just typical *** ZOS support - I can't count how many times I've submitted a ticket and gotten a reply which bears absolutely no relation to my query.

They probably scan for certain words and have pre-written responses for those - or perhaps some sort of AI (unlikely?) to do it automatically.

Oh I know, the support team has no idea, maybe there was too much info for them to process and it overloaded the collective minds of the team.

I for one am going to take Nadia’s advice and use the in game help function whilst noting on my issue that she told me to do it.

I’m sure a few hundred Nadia told me to would go down a treat
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CH77 wrote: »

That's just the nature of level one support. They may have never even used the program they are supporting and rely heavily on scripts. To be fair, you'd be surprised how many tickets ultimately do boil down to a problem between the keyboard and chair, hence the heavy reliance on boilerplate. Thus the knowledgeable user often has to push hard to be heard. That said, the response to the Akamai ticket (file a bug report we won't see) smacks of a corporate order not to acknowledge that the problem exists. It wouldn't be the first time.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • not4us
    not4us
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like my last reply had the desired effect. They are escalating the issue (or so they say), but closing the ticket so not sure if I'll be updated anymore.
    Here is their last reply

The Elder Scrolls Online Team message: 08/21/2019 08:16 PM
    Hail Adventurer!
    Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team. My name is Clifford and it would be my pleasure to help guide you today. I want to thank you for taking the time and bringing this information to us. I know this must be really annoying since what you describes it sounds like the game could be almost unplayable and after looking through the tracert report as well. I am going to send this matter to our Tech team so they are made aware of this issue and can see what can be done to resolved it on our end.
    Their department does not have the ability to respond to tickets so the ticket will have to be set as closed for them to received it, but If you have any other questions or concerns just respond back and we will reopen the ticket and we will assist you.
    Sincerely,
    Clifford
  • CH77
    CH77
    ✭✭✭
    Pah! So closing the ticket!!
    What a cop out!

I hope you do hear further!!
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    not4us wrote: »
    Looks like my last reply had the desired effect. They are escalating the issue (or so they say), but closing the ticket so not sure if I'll be updated anymore.
    Here is their last reply

The Elder Scrolls Online Team message: 08/21/2019 08:16 PM
    Hail Adventurer!
    Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team. My name is Clifford and it would be my pleasure to help guide you today. I want to thank you for taking the time and bringing this information to us. I know this must be really annoying since what you describes it sounds like the game could be almost unplayable and after looking through the tracert report as well. I am going to send this matter to our Tech team so they are made aware of this issue and can see what can be done to resolved it on our end.
    Their department does not have the ability to respond to tickets so the ticket will have to be set as closed for them to received it, but If you have any other questions or concerns just respond back and we will reopen the ticket and we will assist you.
    Sincerely,
    Clifford

Ask them for an ETA so you know when to follow up. ;)
    PC NA, PC EU

• jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If we were in the tech support section, all we'd be receiving is the usual "platform, location, megaserver, ISP" copypasta, and then comes the silence.
  • gronoxvx
    gronoxvx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jcm2606 wrote: »

If we were in the tech support section, all we'd be receiving is the usual "platform, location, megaserver, ISP" copypasta, and then comes the silence.

This. Or else telling us its our isp's fault entirely.
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gronoxvx wrote: »
    jcm2606 wrote: »

This. Or else telling us its our isp's fault entirely.

That's the exact response I got from my 'high level' ticket.

Apparently ESO IP addresses being routed through Akamai Hong Kong is the fault of my ISP.

That was in November 2018. Took them over a month to get that far btw, so don't expect as speedy reply.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • not4us
    not4us
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I asked for a follow up and they now tell me the will deliver it. Though judging by what MrGarlic said I may be waiting for a while...

The Elder Scrolls Online Team message: 08/22/2019 11:21 AM
    Greetings!
    Thank you for contacting the Bethesda Customer Support. My name is Cody and it is my pleasure to be helping you today.
    I am escalating your ticket to a specialized team to ensure you receive the best possible resolution of your issue. Thank you for your patience while they review your request, they should be reaching out to you shortly.
    If you have any further questions or information regarding this issue, please respond directly to this ticket to ensure the proper team is able to see your response.
    Thank you for your continued interest and support!
    Warm Regards,
    Cody
    Bethesda Customer Support
    Keep an eye on our official Facebook, Twitter, and website for upcoming news about Bethesda Softworks games here:
    https://www.facebook.com/BethesdaSoftworks
    https://twitter.com/bethesda
    https://www.bethesda.net
  • not4us
    not4us
    ✭✭✭
    This was expected... :(

The Elder Scrolls Online Team message: 08/22/2019 08:38 PM
    Greetings,
    I'm Brian a member of the Escalations Team here with The Elder Scrolls Online Support.
    Upon review, please bear in mind that the Trace Route results you're looking at do no point to the actual server itself. For security and server stability purposes we do not disclose the location (IP Address) of where the servers are located.
    In this situation I would recommend testing on a completely different network and see if the same issue continues. If your computer has WiFi capabilities and you have access to a smartphone, you can connect the computer to a WiFi hotspot through your smartphone.
    Should the game play normally on another ISP/network this means that something with in your ISP or home network is the cause behind your issue. In this situation we recommend contacting your ISP for assistance.
    As always please let us know if you have any other questions, issues or concerns and we will make sure that you are taken care of.
    May the Eight forever bless you with fortune and glory.
    Warm regards,
    Brian
    The Elder Scrolls Online Support

And my reply:
    Customer message: 08/22/2019 09:48 PM

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply and for looking at this issue.
    The Trace Route provided has been done following your own support article (https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30903/~/how-do-i-do-a-pathping-and-tracert-to-the-servers-to-test-my-connection) so can't see how that is wrong or how can you not disclose the server IP when I can see where the ESO client is connecting from my PC.
    As I have mentioned before in this ticket, I have tested this over several different connections (fibre, cable, ADSL, 4G) and different ISPs with the same results of pings on the high 300ms / mid 400ms and if you read results from other people in the Oceanic region (like in this post https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/439549/oceanic-lag-now-300-400-ms-even-with-a-vpn-was-250-300) you will see it's not isolated to an ISP/user but a wider problem with the way traffic is routed.
    Also note that the routing issue is not caused by the ISP but by Akamai, which is the DDOS protection service you use for your servers. Akamai is routing all traffic coming from Oceania going to the US through their Hong Kong scrubber which is clearly not the shortest path.
    I understand the problem is not with Bethesda / ZOS BUT you are the only ones that can tell Akamai about this issue and get them to fix it as they are providing the service to you.
    I'm truly amazed that this hasn't been fixed or even acknowledged as there have been multiple post in the forums complaining about it with lots on information in them.
    Hopefully I have explained the issue clearly this time but just to summarise, the problem IS NOT my connection and IS NOT my ISP, the problem is the DDOS service employed by Zenimax / Bethesda from Akamai and you need to work with them to resolve the issue.

Regards,
    Jorge
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    not4us wrote: »
    This was expected... :(

The Elder Scrolls Online Team message: 08/22/2019 08:38 PM
    Greetings,
    I'm Brian a member of the Escalations Team here with The Elder Scrolls Online Support.
    Upon review, please bear in mind that the Trace Route results you're looking at do no point to the actual server itself. For security and server stability purposes we do not disclose the location (IP Address) of where the servers are located.
    In this situation I would recommend testing on a completely different network and see if the same issue continues. If your computer has WiFi capabilities and you have access to a smartphone, you can connect the computer to a WiFi hotspot through your smartphone.
    Should the game play normally on another ISP/network this means that something with in your ISP or home network is the cause behind your issue. In this situation we recommend contacting your ISP for assistance.
    As always please let us know if you have any other questions, issues or concerns and we will make sure that you are taken care of.
    May the Eight forever bless you with fortune and glory.
    Warm regards,
    Brian
    The Elder Scrolls Online Support

And my reply:
    Customer message: 08/22/2019 09:48 PM

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply and for looking at this issue.
    The Trace Route provided has been done following your own support article (https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30903/~/how-do-i-do-a-pathping-and-tracert-to-the-servers-to-test-my-connection) so can't see how that is wrong or how can you not disclose the server IP when I can see where the ESO client is connecting from my PC.
    As I have mentioned before in this ticket, I have tested this over several different connections (fibre, cable, ADSL, 4G) and different ISPs with the same results of pings on the high 300ms / mid 400ms and if you read results from other people in the Oceanic region (like in this post https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/439549/oceanic-lag-now-300-400-ms-even-with-a-vpn-was-250-300) you will see it's not isolated to an ISP/user but a wider problem with the way traffic is routed.
    Also note that the routing issue is not caused by the ISP but by Akamai, which is the DDOS protection service you use for your servers. Akamai is routing all traffic coming from Oceania going to the US through their Hong Kong scrubber which is clearly not the shortest path.
    I understand the problem is not with Bethesda / ZOS BUT you are the only ones that can tell Akamai about this issue and get them to fix it as they are providing the service to you.
    I'm truly amazed that this hasn't been fixed or even acknowledged as there have been multiple post in the forums complaining about it with lots on information in them.
    Hopefully I have explained the issue clearly this time but just to summarise, the problem IS NOT my connection and IS NOT my ISP, the problem is the DDOS service employed by Zenimax / Bethesda from Akamai and you need to work with them to resolve the issue.

Regards,
    Jorge

Hey, @ZOS_GinaBruno! See what happens when someone takes your advice and raises a support ticket about this ZOS created problem?
    PC NA, PC EU

This discussion has been closed.