The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

[Class Rep] Nightblade Feedback Thread

• Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not too happy about Nightblade changes. Once again.

Somebody pointed elswhere that now, in pvp, unavoidable cc on 6 players instantly is "insane". Allright, fine.

Obviously, for those who don't play PvP, this change is of little significance. The removal of major buffs from the skills means you either must do without or find them elsewhere. As of today, Nightblades can no longer gain minor brutality, and the only way to apply fracture is through mark target.

While that is probably rather inconsequential in group content, especially, of course, PvP and raids, it is a major annoyance for those of us who play small group / duo / solo content. When you're in a 12 person group, you can have someone providing the buff for everyone else, your buff monkey of sort if you will, but when playing duo or solo ? You now have to chose between having the tools of the trade OR the damage bonus that this debuff incured. Deal more damage or have some variety in what you can do. With most mechanics geared toward dishing more punishgment faster, this is a hindrance for sure.

Once again, the class rework is tailored towards the minority that cares only about large group content. Well at least it's an improvement from the racial patch which was geared toward PvP only. Maybe next patch will do something for us non-raid players, eh ? We still are the vast majority of the players, you know.

Let's laugh a bit too at the "relentless focus" skill, shall we ? Last skill in assassination. Keep that in mind : assassination. What does this skill do now ? Buff defense. And heal. Yeah, sure, I can see the value of this skill, even though it has zero value for me, but... What the heck is it doing in assassination ? The shade, the 5th skill from the shadow line, which is something of the tank-ish line, is more of an assassin skill than this one. "Oh, look, I have this lone target to stab quickly and efficiently, let's buff my defense and prepare to heal", said no assassin ever.

And finally, let's talk about your proof-reading. Sap essence : "... If an enemy is hit, you gain and major sorcery". You removed "major brutality" but didn't even bother correct the rest of the description. You said something about "a pass on every Class ability looking for errant or missing data", @ZOS_BrianWheeler ?

And finally, shadowy cloak. ONE freaking second of invisibility ? At this point, change the name and remove cloaking entirely, this is stupid. I mean, I used to play a Bosmer thief in solo PvE content, and that was good. Then I was turned into a guard because apparently Bosmers are not supposed to be stealthy, and to hell with 25 years of lore... But at least I could cloak a few seconds to help sneaking in tight hallways and corridors. Now I have a whopping 1 second cloaking. Good thing I am a master alchemist, because class skill is now entirely useless. Sure, sure, a crit guaranteed for the next 3 seconds is cool. Great. But what does it have to do with "shadowy cloak" ? Rename it "assassin's eye" and remove cloaking entirely at this point. The effect and the name are entirely disconnected and the 1 secod cloaking is here only to somewhat justify the name. That, or maybe it could be reworked to do what the name actually implies and fits the class' stealthy theme, you know.
  • ExistingRug61
    ExistingRug61
    ✭✭✭✭
    Showz wrote: »
    The 1 Second on shadow cloak makes it completely useless if you want to use the veiled strike skill until you get the passive at lvl 39. the animation to stealth is basically the same and makes using the veiled strike skill a high gamble if you can pull it of by mashing the skill button and pray you get it off.

This seems like an unintended nerf to pre-endgame from the consistency pass in the balancing. I know this change makes no difference once you're at level 50 and have the last shadow passives, but until that happens shadow cloak/disguise is effectively useless due to the 1 sec duration. Seems like it would be negative for anyone new to the game wanting to play a stealthy character but having the key early game skill for it basically worthless.

@ZOS_Gilliam @ZOS_BrianWheeler
    Any way that shadow cloak/disguise could instead have a fixed duration (3 sec?) and be unaffected by dark veil? This wouldn't change anything for endgame balance but would sure make it a lot more useful for new players or those levelling a new character.
  • Whiskers
    Whiskers
    ✭✭✭
    Not to QQ, but it needs to be said.
    I have been playing since 2018, and my main character is a Night blade. Most of the story, quests, delves, dungeons, trials, achievements have been with my Night blade. It is my favorite toy, and you have broken it. I can't play with it anymore, because you broke it.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whiskers wrote: »
    I have been playing since 2018, and my main character is a Night blade. Most of the story, quests, delves, dungeons, trials, achievements have been with my Night blade. It is my favorite toy, and you have broken it. I can't play with it anymore, because you broke it.
    Same here except my nb since eso release on console bk in 2015 game ruined for me as I don’t care about the other classes.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whiskers wrote: »
    Just hope Elsweyr takes its time coming to console.
  • ProzTh3Almighty
    ProzTh3Almighty
    ✭✭✭
    Been playing nightblade for 3 years now on console and pc an love the new changes. Tankier, more heals and more dmg! Major berserk uptime is great with a new thing they added im not gonna mention cuz i dont want it nerfed. 15% dmg mit is nice, duration of 30sec is bae, new NB shuffle is amazing! No complaints here
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NB Tank may be happy.
    But NB DPS is unhappy.
    And NB Healer has nothing.
    What roles is NB good at?
    Tank? DK Tank is better. lol
  • eso_lytw8
    eso_lytw8
    ✭✭✭
    Uryel wrote: »

Somebody pointed elswhere that now, in pvp, unavoidable cc on 6 players instantly is "insane". Allright, fine.

Obviously, for those who don't play PvP, this change is of little significance. The removal of major buffs from the skills means you either must do without or find them elsewhere. As of today, Nightblades can no longer gain minor brutality, and the only way to apply fracture is through mark target.

While that is probably rather inconsequential in group content, especially, of course, PvP and raids, it is a major annoyance for those of us who play small group / duo / solo content. When you're in a 12 person group, you can have someone providing the buff for everyone else, your buff monkey of sort if you will, but when playing duo or solo ? You now have to chose between having the tools of the trade OR the damage bonus that this debuff incured. Deal more damage or have some variety in what you can do. With most mechanics geared toward dishing more punishgment faster, this is a hindrance for sure.

Once again, the class rework is tailored towards the minority that cares only about large group content. Well at least it's an improvement from the racial patch which was geared toward PvP only. Maybe next patch will do something for us non-raid players, eh ? We still are the vast majority of the players, you know.

Let's laugh a bit too at the "relentless focus" skill, shall we ? Last skill in assassination. Keep that in mind : assassination. What does this skill do now ? Buff defense. And heal. Yeah, sure, I can see the value of this skill, even though it has zero value for me, but... What the heck is it doing in assassination ? The shade, the 5th skill from the shadow line, which is something of the tank-ish line, is more of an assassin skill than this one. "Oh, look, I have this lone target to stab quickly and efficiently, let's buff my defense and prepare to heal", said no assassin ever.

And finally, let's talk about your proof-reading. Sap essence : "... If an enemy is hit, you gain and major sorcery". You removed "major brutality" but didn't even bother correct the rest of the description. You said something about "a pass on every Class ability looking for errant or missing data", @ZOS_BrianWheeler ?

And finally, shadowy cloak. ONE freaking second of invisibility ? At this point, change the name and remove cloaking entirely, this is stupid. I mean, I used to play a Bosmer thief in solo PvE content, and that was good. Then I was turned into a guard because apparently Bosmers are not supposed to be stealthy, and to hell with 25 years of lore... But at least I could cloak a few seconds to help sneaking in tight hallways and corridors. Now I have a whopping 1 second cloaking. Good thing I am a master alchemist, because class skill is now entirely useless. Sure, sure, a crit guaranteed for the next 3 seconds is cool. Great. But what does it have to do with "shadowy cloak" ? Rename it "assassin's eye" and remove cloaking entirely at this point. The effect and the name are entirely disconnected and the 1 secod cloaking is here only to somewhat justify the name. That, or maybe it could be reworked to do what the name actually implies and fits the class' stealthy theme, you know.

Agree with everything written, for me the feel of the class for PVE is lost. I've never been after a super powerful class, I just want to be competitive and have a unique assassin feel. I have a NB tank, NB healer, stamblade, and magblade. The tank and healer have been nerfed to the point its no longer enjoyable to play, crazy thing is these were never classes that enjoyed a prime slot in these roles to begin with.

My main has always been a stamblade but I play all classes in end game PVE content. For the NB was just fun to click relentless focus and get buffed up then start to work up your bow proc, it was enjoyable charging in with surprise attack and fracturing an enemy helping my group when the tank was holding agro on a different target. Then finishing it off with killers blade. The class was amazing designed, hats of to the original developer(s) who created it.

I know it will still perform fine in the hands of expert players (top 10%) with well organized groups. Its more the feel of the class that bothers me, its not performance. Performance being a combination of damage, healing buffing, and debuffing. And for players using regular pots and PUG groups I think the class will be sorely underperforming. For this part of the population, the bottom 90%, I think NB is performance below DK, Stam Warden, and Sorcs.

Tough decision but after 4 years of amazing times, I've decided to give it a rest so I am not planning on buying Elsweyr and I canceled my sub this morning. I will still have the base game, but it will save me a lot of coins while I figure out what I want to do with the class and my future gaming investments.

LytW8
    < Xbox NA PVE >
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eso_lytw8 wrote: »
    Uryel wrote: »

Agree with everything written, for me the feel of the class for PVE is lost. I've never been after a super powerful class, I just want to be competitive and have a unique assassin feel. I have a NB tank, NB healer, stamblade, and magblade. The tank and healer have been nerfed to the point its no longer enjoyable to play, crazy thing is these were never classes that enjoyed a prime slot in these roles to begin with.

My main has always been a stamblade but I play all classes in end game PVE content. For the NB was just fun to click relentless focus and get buffed up then start to work up your bow proc, it was enjoyable charging in with surprise attack and fracturing an enemy helping my group when the tank was holding agro on a different target. Then finishing it off with killers blade. The class was amazing designed, hats of to the original developer(s) who created it.

I know it will still perform fine in the hands of expert players (top 10%) with well organized groups. Its more the feel of the class that bothers me, its not performance. Performance being a combination of damage, healing buffing, and debuffing. And for players using regular pots and PUG groups I think the class will be sorely underperforming. For this part of the population, the bottom 90%, I think NB is performance below DK, Stam Warden, and Sorcs.

Tough decision but after 4 years of amazing times, I've decided to give it a rest so I am not planning on buying Elsweyr and I canceled my sub this morning. I will still have the base game, but it will save me a lot of coins while I figure out what I want to do with the class and my future gaming investments.

LytW8
    Nightblade is the only class I enjoy playing I hope Elsweyr takes its time coming to console these nerfs will ruin eso for me when Elsweyr comes to console I am cancelling my eso plus I won’t support this class butchering.
    Edited by Deathlord92 on May 21, 2019 10:40PM
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was told 2 days ago that the only way to maintain a rotation and high dps on a stamblade was to be a vamp for the regen.

I don't want to be a freaking vamp on my stamblade! It makes him look like $×@^#%!.

These resource nerfs have gone too damn far!!!

I agree the NB rep has failed us. They only ever talked about magblade if they talked about nightblades at all.
    Edited by Katahdin on May 21, 2019 11:33PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Kiithnaras
    Kiithnaras
    Soul Shriven
    I have to agree with the general sentiment of these changes. Removals of buffs from Grim/Relentless Focus and the removal of fracture from Surprise attack is a major hindrance to the class as a whole. At no point were these buffs overpowered, imbalanced, or, necessarily, stronger than the buffs of other classes. Just because "you can get these buffs from another skill," doesn't mean they should be removed from an ostensibly more-useful skill. Redundancy in options is not necessarily a bad thing. PvE is significantly more tedious, and gank-build PvP is even more untenable.

Nightblade tanking might be the only real viable option, which is hilarious because that goes against the very theme of the class. And other classes do it better as well. Nightblade DPS is lackluster and outshone by nearly every other class, Warden and Sorcerer in particular. Healer nightblades? Why even bother?

Mark Target is a "neat" ability on paper that works for levelling characters, but no sane person uses it in trials or in PvP because of the need for more punchy abilities. Even if there is the rare Magicka-nightblade that uses it, Stamina-nightblades definitely do not. Every slot is precious, so players need to carefully choose which abilities they slot, and every ability should be consistently-useful in these scenarios. The lack of applying Fracture is a huge loss for the class. A max of 5% loss of Physical Resistance compared to a sizable debuff to physical resistance is a poor compensation for this.

The loss of Endurance and Brutality to Relentless Focus makes the skill effectively useless now as well - just as useless as Mark Target is for high-level characters. The resource nerf is egregious on a good day. Now, no sets or skills provide Endurance to Nightblades at all (as it is also removed from Whirling Blades).

Why do you hate Nightblades so badly, ZOS? Did some mean NB ganker in Cyrodiil hurt your feelings? Trust me, Sorcs, Wardens, and DKs are way better at it, both before these nerfs and now.
  • ProzTh3Almighty
    ProzTh3Almighty
    ✭✭✭
    I took poison inject and master bow off my bar an slotted reapers mark. It works great. Switch my front bar to back bar and use a agility 2h front bar now. Hits harder than the pre-Elysweyr build.
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magblade just feels so slow and stuff. I get there is the option of running rat but what if i don't have the bar space or I don't have summerset? The loss of major expedition from cripple hit the class too hard tbh. It used to work as a gap closer or opener to maintain pressure while me slowly building up my bow and getting to melee range.

Melee magblades can still use lotus fan and stuff I guess but ranged magblade? We have 11 ability skills to slot and only 10 slot space.

Rat
    Fear
    Cripple
    Ele drain
    Shade
    Cloak
    Swallow soul
    Healing ward
    Siphoning attacks
    Harness
    And merciless.

Now tell me what I should drop.

We already had so much pain with the class. Then you nerf our damage and then nerfed our survivability?
    The changes doesn't make sense. I'm still against the merciless changes but the cripple nerf is just too much.

We most certainly need an actual class rep now. One who mains and has played nightblade in all roles.
  • Kiithnaras
    Kiithnaras
    Soul Shriven
    Because I don't complain without offering corrections:

Grim Focus: Return Minor Berserk. Maintain damage reduction stacking property. Using Spectral Bow should re-cast/refresh the ability duration while consuming resistance stacks
    Relentless Focus: Return Minor Endurance. Keep duration buff.
    Merciless Resolve: Extend healing effect of Spectral Bow to 12m, heals allies as well within 5m.

Surprise Attack: Remove useless 5% resistance debuff (that many enemies are just immune to anyway). Apply Minor Fracture for 8 seconds if used when Flanking. Targets that are stunned, off-balance, or feared instead suffer Major Fracture.
    Concealed Weapon: Apply Minor Breach for 8 seconds if used when Flanking. Targets that are stunned, feared, or off-balance instead suffer Major Breach.

This keeps Major Fracture and Breach in the realm of Mark Target, but places Minor versions on to "spammables." Mark Target can still be utilized for group/dungeon/trial bosses, but it is relatively useless in PvP.
  • blnchk
    blnchk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say it here, too:

Grim Focus is now convoluted to the extreme, and the nerf to its "overloaded" damage component affects anyone but organised groups. None of this makes any sense. And above all, we need our skills to make sense.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NB Tank may be happy.
    How are NB tanks supposed to be happy ? ZOS totally removed dark cloack burst sefl - heal. How am I going to do ANY vet content if the class is missing tools that are necessary to do so ?

NB pve tanks were bad before U22... You could even argue the were the worst class for that role. But now ? They are definetly the worst, to a point that ppl will strugle to do even easiest vet content.

1st ZOS destroyed nb sap tanks, then hybrids, then tava set based nb tanks and now this... I mean rly, what is a nb supposed to do ? Class has no way to play as a Tank.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on May 22, 2019 6:23AM
  • Iron_Blurr
    Iron_Blurr
    ✭✭✭✭
    1: Dark cloak is still too weak of a heal for nightblade tanks to rely on.
    2: I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with the new grim focus. It just feels clunky.
    Edited by Iron_Blurr on May 22, 2019 10:52AM
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand that all NB is unhappy.
    What is NB good at? NB can teleport and invisibility.
    ZOS should change the name of Nightblade to Nightcrawler.
    And change the title of The Elder Scrolls Online to X-MEN Online.
    hahaha...*Sigh*
  • Lifecode666
    Lifecode666
    ✭✭✭
    Nightblade is broken.All skills need buff and some need rework.

....And please make the shade look like something else...
    Up the hornz
  • Joosef_Kivikilpi
    Joosef_Kivikilpi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been playing nightblade for 3 years now on console and pc an love the new changes. Tankier, more heals and more dmg! Major berserk uptime is great with a new thing they added im not gonna mention cuz i dont want it nerfed. 15% dmg mit is nice, duration of 30sec is bae, new NB shuffle is amazing! No complaints here

That "new thing" is only when having Necromancer, man. Already complained about from necromancers in another post concerning Nightblades being a "natural" counter to the class lolz
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need a class rep that cares about the nightblade class I’m not insulting the current one but these changes to nb suck so hard that it’s ruined eso for me I don’t care nor want to play the other classes.
    Edited by Deathlord92 on May 22, 2019 6:24PM
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played stamblade since 2015 eso console release it’s only class I enjoy and I’m salty as can be at our undeserving class butchering nerfs 😔
    Edited by Deathlord92 on May 22, 2019 6:28PM
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a stamblade perspective.

Relentless focus damage reduction is kind of cool, but if I had a choice between it and minor berserk and minor endurance, I would go with berserk and endurance. If we can’t have both pick one and I’d still be happy. Also, magical version spectral bow heal should have a greater distance.

Surprise attack should have a minor fracture associated with it instead of this 5% thing.

Cloak heal is absolutely useless. The ticks from it are negligible.

Other than that I find everything else fine at the moment.
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!
  • TankinatorFR
    TankinatorFR
    ✭✭✭
    The new shadowy cloak is funny. It kept disactivating itself even before the end of it's animation (on my low-level reroll).
    At first, I believed that I had done a mistake, but then I realized that it came from the update and that low-level stealth is now basically a "throw your mana away and blink one time".
    Great... What kind of assassin wouldn't like to blink ? Stealth is sooooo old-fashioned...
    Hopefully, it still work for high levels, but it now mean that this skill will be a lost slot in your bar, at least for the time needed to level it.

About relentless focus, I hopped that the time would change it, but no, I still can't avoid laughing each time I think about it:
    it's an assassination skill that heal you but only if you proc it's Ranged attack from Close Combat distance. It really sound like a joke.
    Well, no need for heal or resistance, so I will just swap it. Just need to decide what buffing/debuffing ability I should use now that they removed the 3 that I was using until this week.
    Of course, the loss of theses buffs will most probably imply a definitive loss of DPS.

It's boring to see ZOS destroy my Main's build with every new patch.
    I was a sap tank, they destroyed it ; I was a sap-healer, they destroyed it ; I get to "over-sustained PvE build", they nerfed my bosmer's stam regen down to the ground (and my precious stealth, never forget the precious stealth).
    This time, they remove from my skill list all the buffs my self-buffed DPS was relying on. Self-buffing is important when, like me, you prefer to play alone or in small group (2 or 3), even for dungeons. Not everyone perceive 24 players raids as something interesting.
    Basically, I now assume that, with each patch, I'm gonna need to find an other way to play my main. And that's really immersion breaking for someone who cares a lot about his character's personality and back-ground. No, I don't find it funny to change my character's play-style every three months. That's what my numerous alts are supposed to offer me.

Next time they are going to revamp weapons lines anyway, so maybe I shouldn't even bother with finding a new build and just wait for the next update ? I already know that they will broke the hearth of any new build I might end-up using when revamping weapon skills. They always do it.
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new shadowy cloak is funny. It kept disactivating itself even before the end of it's animation (on my low-level reroll).
    At first, I believed that I had done a mistake, but then I realized that it came from the update and that low-level stealth is now basically a "throw your mana away and blink one time".
    Great... What kind of assassin wouldn't like to blink ? Stealth is sooooo old-fashioned...
    Hopefully, it still work for high levels, but it now mean that this skill will be a lost slot in your bar, at least for the time needed to level it.
    There may be a reason for Shadow Cloak to be 1 sec.
    I think it may be for balance of 1-49 Cyrodiil PvP.
  • Joosef_Kivikilpi
    Joosef_Kivikilpi
    ✭✭✭✭
    There may be a reason for Shadow Cloak to be 1 sec.
    I think it may be for balance of 1-49 Cyrodiil PvP.

So Nightblades get crapped on at low level Cyrodiil, as well as low level battlegrounds, as well as getting crapped on once they got CP because everyone knows how to counter a Nightblade by that time for the most part?? Awesome. /s
  • lorto777
    lorto777
    Soul Shriven
    Hello,
    Here is my one point with the changes from the last patch. I play a night blade and although I am not great at it, it is one of my favorite classes to play simply because I was able to use shadowy disguise and get out of danger and it worked usually 60% of the time. I primarily play on the Kyne or what used to be PvP below 50 and it was fun.

Side note:
    I also notice a lot of people complain about the NB, but unless you have played one, they are not that easy to play and some people are very good at the class they play. IMO they are not over powered. Many of us could say that about Sorc's, DK's and any other class. It's all about the person behind the class that is just plain good that gives the appearance of OP.

Now to the point:

With this last patch the Shadowy Disguise is now pretty much useless with the 1 second timer for lower levels. Even though it may still give you the same timer as before once you hit close to 50, for lower levels it has destroyed the class for me and a few others I know of. We don't even have time to perform an attack or get out of trouble and now find ourselves having to "tank" and we are not a tank class so we just die. I don't know if this was an oversight since it was not listed in the patch notes for Shadowy, but the shadowy disguise is the unique core of the night blade and to take that away is basically destroying the class for lower levels. To play the class with any chance we need to be able to utilize this skill. Two and a half seconds was barely enough time to do anything before. Now with the 1 second timer it is impossible; again this pertains to lower levels.

All the other changes I know lessen the burst damage which is fine, but for me the 1 second timer for Shadow cloak needs to be left where it was before for lower levels so we can get the feel and this was not an "over power" issue. Please put the timer back for lower levels as it was before. And for those that say level to 50 and play in that campaign, I like the below 50 and want to stay there with my guild.

Thanks!!
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lorto777 wrote: »
    All the other changes I know lessen the burst damage which is fine, but for me the 1 second timer for Shadow cloak needs to be left where it was before for lower levels so we can get the feel and this was not an "over power" issue. Please put the timer back for lower levels as it was before. And for those that say level to 50 and play in that campaign, I like the below 50 and want to stay there with my guild.
    It's time to stop kill to low-level Noobs.
    I think your guild should fight in other rules.

• master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NB Healer is bad.
    I thought of an idea to improve NB Healer.
    Add Minor Berserk to Malevolent Offering.
    If ZOS do so, Combat Prayer is not needed for NB Healer, so there is a Skill Slot available.
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The funniest thing is, NB tank just might be a thing on top level now. Not because NBs are suddenly better tanks after the update; no, they're not. Just... someone has to give extra crit to those eight stam necros. ^^