The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Snipe exploit?

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »
    Datthaw wrote: »
    Feanor wrote: »
    I'd just screen shot the hate tells, report, and move on. It's far more likely you get what you want that way. Snipe just is what it is.

Not this, this is a total new bug that is being exploited. I'm talking you just drop dead and then hear and snipe cast sound. You look and recap and you have 3-4 snipes on there without seeing one.

Well, my guess why that is, I thought to have recognized with sound and skills, that sound is actually outsourced on another core now and is therefore not always present at the time when the action takes place - I could be wrong though, but that was my impression. So this might be an issue, which comes from the changes with multi-threading in the last patch and some dev should look into it.

I forgot how to mark the post for review by a ZOS official -maybe someone of you could help me with it.

Its not even just the sound. How does a normal snipe gank happen, you get popped by the 1st one and get stunned, you need to break the cc and block before the 2nd one hits you too, once you're up you're looking for the 3rd shot and where he is.

Not this, it's like you jist drop dead, 3 snipes on recap

But this not just with snipes and not just in PvP - I ran into a monster lately in Reaper's March and dropped dead - got the death summary with 4 hits and a pulverize at the 5th hit - and then I heard the sound of the attacks - after I was dead already. This is not just with snipes that way.

That's nothing new really. Has been happening since forever. I can't count how many times I died in dungeons and vMA due to desynch. The most glaring example are the flame shapers in stage 8: I run to them, bash them, bash doesn't work, I die and in fact they are rendered in a distant place by the game after death. Or monster abilities hit before they are shown, like in stage 6 where you get bitten by the spiders, die and then they are shown coming from the ground. The most annoying part is that the ping spike is only shown after you're dead.

Since the game now runs on multiple cores, and some of the tasks are spread on different ones, sometimes the main may wait after the others, and make the client stutter & desynch from server. See details here So in fact the problem is as old as the game, but it may have been gotten worse for some users due to the processing changes.
    Edited by Asardes on May 29, 2018 11:17AM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know the ZOS changed API because of Add-on called "Miat's PVP Alerts" That basically said: "Attack incoming, dodge now !" - And that was not only about snipe. It informed you about every incoming attacks... So it basically was removing a lot of play styles - leaving only face - to - face tank or zerg ball-groups.

Dragon Bones DLC patch notes:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/394810/pc-mac-patch-notes-v3-3-5-dragon-bones-update-17#latest
    Addons

Addons will now only know about attacks that target you after they hit you in PvP areas.
    Developer Comments:
    Addons will no longer receive BEGIN combat events in PvP areas if they target the player, and come from a hostile source.

A good change -appreciated - but it does not explain what I experienced in a PvE zone - which has some similarity.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know the ZOS changed API because of Add-on called "Miat's PVP Alerts" That basically said: "Attack incoming, dodge now !" - And that was not only about snipe. It informed you about every incoming attacks... So it basically was removing a lot of play styles - leaving only face - to - face tank or zerg ball-groups.

Dragon Bones DLC patch notes:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/394810/pc-mac-patch-notes-v3-3-5-dragon-bones-update-17#latest
    Addons

Addons will now only know about attacks that target you after they hit you in PvP areas.
    Developer Comments:
    Addons will no longer receive BEGIN combat events in PvP areas if they target the player, and come from a hostile source.

Never used miats, not the prob
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I run a snipe build and not aware of any glitch 99% reckon it's just lag , not everything on here is an exploit
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »
    I can't state this enough, it's not desync, it's not lag, it's not git gud, it's not stop crying. This is a total glitch that is being abused by the same players over, and over, and over.

But it is just a guess, that this is a glitch which can be abused - maybe it is just a synchronization issue between sound and action and none of is a actual glitch. As long as it just a guess, let's stick to observation and state those and not mess with people,who might be nasty but still doing just what the game offers - we do not know yet, if this is really an exploit.

It's not a normal snipe gank. I'm not going after snipe at all. All I do is pvp... this is new... this is a glitch/bug w/e you want to call it

Would it be possible for you to record a video of this or post a screenshot of your combat log (if you have one)? You say it's not the health desync glitch & now I'm curious :p

I will get my shadowplay running, I can try to post something g tonight after work if the guys playing.we don't get along so if he's on he's gonna be snipe spamming me
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerkling wrote: »
    There is a snipe glitch where you can get hit from like 3 snipes at the aame tome before you even hear the sound or see the 1st shot.
    that stealthy gankers spam Snipe to dispose of weak targets fast is nothing new really, it's a very common thing to do. that the ability doesn't have an animation or makes a sound now (for whatever reason) doesn't mean players are exploiting it - you would have been dead anyways, with or without animation/sound.

Please read the post before you just say git gud
  • Rawkan
    Rawkan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "exploit"
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azurya wrote: »
    Question in title, is it bannable? There is a snipe glitch where you can get hit from like 3 snipes at the aame tome before you even hear the sound or see the 1st shot. There is a few pvp players who are totally taking advantage of this glitch. If it's bannable I'm going get shadow play going because one of these guys in very hateful, tbagging sending hate tells and what not. Would love to give that salt the hammer.

yes that would be nice,
    also bann those zergs, coming around a corner and you are dead before you can say "eso"
    that is also very mean
    or those camping at bridges, towers, milegates and killing ppl over and over

I say BANN THEM ALL, and DO IT NOW!
    and anyway it is total unfair to kill other players in PvP-zones!
    BANN PVP ZONES! BANN THEM NOW!
    and being killed in duells is unfair
    BANN DUELLS NOW!

all said, now it will be done!

I get what you're trying to do here, but you're just coming off as an ass. I'm not some salty rage person because I died, you obviously have 0....zero, idea what I'm talking about. I have never tried to ban anyone and only report bit trains. But this glitch is just over the top and being totally abused. I don't think you know what it really is.

you always could have reported the hate comment of that hunk, but NO, you want players who use snipe to get banned...........

The OP has two parts:

1) There is a new bug with Snipe that’s possibly exploited. Therefore the question of bans is a valid one.

2) The presumed exploiter also sends hate tells.

The two issues aren’t connected at all.

I ended up ignoring him but he will still stand over me and just tbag until I rez. I have never been one to get upset when I die in pvp, it's gonna happen. But having someone abuse a glitch and then taunt me is infuriating

I can't state this enough..if it's his playstyle to use snipe then it's not abusing a glitch. It may sound just fine from his end, so how is he to know he's even abusing anything? What is the solution here, that he stop trying to use his playstyle to kill players with?
    The bagging and hate tells will more likely get him banned than a glitch this person may not even know about. I understand you're frustrated, and even though this player seems like an ass, let's not throw around accusations. There's no way you can possibly know or prove that this glitch even shows up on his end. You just can't. It's unrealistic to think he will stop what works for him in PvP or change his playstyle, especially if it's unknown to him or possible lag...and we all know lag and rubber banding happen constantly in Cyrodiil. It's just an unfortunate fact. How many other players use snipe? Should they too be banned for having a particular playstyle and using a skill?
    Yes, I agree he's an ass...but if you're looking to ban, start taking screen shots of the tells.
    Edited by Kel on May 29, 2018 11:24AM
  • SluggoV2
    SluggoV2
    ✭✭✭
    I can't state this enough, it's not desync, it's not lag, it's not git gud, it's not stop crying. This is a total glitch that is being abused by the same players over, and over, and over.

make that video... until then most in this thread will continue to say just that...

definitely screen those hate tells and forward to ZOS, crap like that is not what the ESO community needs.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without a sound and no addon that is pretty bad still - you might not even be aware of being stunned, when the 2nd snipe hits you and the 3rd is on it's way already. Normally you would hear the swish sound and dodge the incoming attack, but so....
  • Haydenmango
    Haydenmango
    ✭✭✭
    Just stopping by to say i died to three snipes exactly as you described OP and thought it was really weird. I just returned to the game recently though so I kinda shrugged it off and it hasn't happened since. Seems it's not yet a well known exploit as I have been spending lots of time in cyrodiil and it's only happened one time.
    Haydenmango V16 Magicka Dragonknight Ebonheart Pact PC/NA

I PvE AND PvP!

I stream on twitch sometimes - https://www.twitch.tv/haydenmango/profile
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jabrone77 wrote: »
    Question in title, is it bannable? There is a snipe glitch where you can get hit from like 3 snipes at the aame tome before you even hear the sound or see the 1st shot. There is a few pvp players who are totally taking advantage of this glitch. If it's bannable I'm going get shadow play going because one of these guys in very hateful, tbagging sending hate tells and what not. Would love to give that salt the hammer.

yes that would be nice,
    also bann those zergs, coming around a corner and you are dead before you can say "eso"
    that is also very mean

BANN DUELLS NOW!

I get what you're trying to do here, but you're just coming off as an ass. I'm not some salty rage person because I died, you obviously have 0....zero, idea what I'm talking about. I have never tried to ban anyone and only report bit trains. But this glitch is just over the top and being totally abused. I don't think you know what it really is.

you always could have reported the hate comment of that hunk, but NO, you want players who use snipe to get banned...........

The OP has two parts:

1) There is a new bug with Snipe that’s possibly exploited. Therefore the question of bans is a valid one.

I ended up ignoring him but he will still stand over me and just tbag until I rez. I have never been one to get upset when I die in pvp, it's gonna happen. But having someone abuse a glitch and then taunt me is infuriating

I can't state this enough..if it's his playstyle to use snipe then it's not abusing a glitch. It may sound just fine from his end, so how is he to know he's even abusing anything? What is the solution here, that he stop trying to use his playstyle to kill players with.
    The bagging and hate tells will more likely get him banned than a glitch this person may not even know about. I understand you're frustrated, and even though this player seems like an ass, let's not throw around accusations. There's no way you can possibly know or prove that this glitch even shows up on his end. You just can't. It's unrealistic to think he will stop what works for him in PvP or change his playstyle, especially if it's unknown to him or possible lag...and we all know lag and rubber banding happen constantly in Cyrodiil. It's just an unfortunate fact.
    Yes, I agree he's an ass...but if you're looking to ban, start taking screen shots of the tells.

What are you a rock? II'M NOT ATTACKING SNIPE. Maybe you will get it this time. There is a bug glitch desync w/e something is new and broken. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SluggoV2 wrote: »

make that video... until then most in this thread will continue to say just that...

definitely screen those hate tells and forward to ZOS, crap like that is not what the ESO community needs.

I'm gonna a try to make one on shadow play after work
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Without a sound and no addon that is pretty bad still - you might not even be aware of being stunned, when the 2nd snipe hits you and the 3rd is on it's way already. Normally you would hear the swish sound and dodge the incoming attack, but so....

In PvP you should always have enough stamina to break free. That's why prismatic defense glyphs, tri-stat food, sets like Shackle Breaker, Amber Plasm and Bloodthorn exist and they are widely used. Not to mention plenty of CP in Warlord if you're playing CP gampaign. Of course, that's pretty buggy, since I've seen it consume stamina, but the character twitches and doesn't break it. But that happens mainly with fear abilities, not stuns.
    Edited by Asardes on May 29, 2018 11:27AM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just stopping by to say i died to three snipes exactly as you described OP and thought it was really weird. I just returned to the game recently though so I kinda shrugged it off and it hasn't happened since. Seems it's not yet a well known exploit as I have been spending lots of time in cyrodiil and it's only happened one time.

The only way I would have ever noticed is me and this giy really, really don't get along. So I die to him abusing this w/e it is alot. Only way he can kill me.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It might not always be that way, if sound is really on a different core - then it can happen but does not have to, dependent on when the sound is actually played - if that is no longer in sync, things like that can happen and a dev should look into it. Sound getting out of sync happens as well sometimes with totally normal monster bashing - I guess this is a multi-threading issue.

Would be interesting to know, if people experience that as well, if the game is on an SSD -where loading times are far less.
    Edited by Lysette on May 29, 2018 11:29AM
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok so I gotta head to work, I'll try to get some videos after
  • lynog85
    lynog85
    ✭✭✭

Nothing new about it. Its been in the game since day 1
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

yes that would be nice,
    that is also very mean

BANN DUELLS NOW!

The OP has two parts:

I can't state this enough..if it's his playstyle to use snipe then it's not abusing a glitch. It may sound just fine from his end, so how is he to know he's even abusing anything? What is the solution here, that he stop trying to use his playstyle to kill players with.
    The bagging and hate tells will more likely get him banned than a glitch this person may not even know about. I understand you're frustrated, and even though this player seems like an ass, let's not throw around accusations. There's no way you can possibly know or prove that this glitch even shows up on his end. You just can't. It's unrealistic to think he will stop what works for him in PvP or change his playstyle, especially if it's unknown to him or possible lag...and we all know lag and rubber banding happen constantly in Cyrodiil. It's just an unfortunate fact.

What are you a rock? II'M NOT ATTACKING SNIPE. Maybe you will get it this time. There is a bug glitch desync w/e something is new and broken. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there

No...you're trying to say he's using and abusing a glitch...one he may not know about. You are making assumptions.
    I think you are the rock. You're so salty over this one player that you're not thinking straight. No one said you're attacking snipe, but that's the skill you pointed out.....the one that's glitched, remember? My point is you can't prove this player knows that. It's not about snipe, I agree. It's about you making an accusation of a player using a widely used skill with no proff, other than your personal frustrations.
    "Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there"
    Exactly my point....this player may not see it, therefore won't be banned because HE DOESN'T SEE IT! Can't accuse someone of abusing a glitch if they don't see it or know about it. That's the point...
    Edited by Kel on May 29, 2018 11:32AM
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Even using snipe should get you banned. *salt mode*
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Syncronaut
    Syncronaut
    ✭✭✭
    This happened to me once when i was capping flag and holding block. (there was no lag as the population at that area way low me + 1 player + guy who killed me)

Not even 1 sec and i was dead.

One thing i can think of is a low population buff to enemy faction. (as it happened in morning)
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FakeFox wrote: »
    Even using snipe should get you banned. *salt mode*

Oh those poor newbies which get it as their first bow skill - lol.
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The problem is snipe really is the good skill on that line so if you take it away the bow is useless
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was linked this video: https://youtu.be/m2ghLaazdXc

Does it look like anything that's happening to you @Datthaw ?

In that video there's no health desync, but there's a desync between the animations on the recipient's screen & the actual times those snipes land.

I.e. snipes actually land at 0:15, 0:16, 0:17 (watch the health bar/dmg numbers) but they only start displaying at 0:17, the last snipe in the chain & then all sound effects go off at once when he dies.

Some theories on what might be causing it:
    1. Vicecanon set (used by the sniper on that video).
    2. Server is laggy near the keep, not laggy near the resource - snipes originate from keep area & get animation delay.
    Edited by DDuke on May 29, 2018 11:39AM
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

yes that would be nice,
    that is also very mean

BANN DUELLS NOW!

The OP has two parts:

No...you're trying to say he's using and abusing a glitch...one he may not know about. You are making assumptions.
    I think you are the rock. You're so salty over this one player that you're not thinking straight. No one said you're attacking snipe, but that's the skill you pointed out.....the one that's glitched, remember? My point is you can't prove this player knows that. It's not about snipe, I agree. It's about you making an accusation of a player using a widely used skill with no proff, other than your personal frustrations.
    "Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there"
    Exactly my point....this player may not see it, therefore won't be banned because HE DOESN'T SEE IT! Can't accuse someone of abusing a glitch if they don't see it or know about it. That's the point...

This guy totall, totally know what he is doing
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is snipe really is the good skill on that line so if you take it away the bow is useless

No one is wanting to get this removed - but just to find out, what the issue with this is and why that is -and eventually this is not just a thing with bows but with every attack - sound sometimes not in sync with the action or delayed for too long.

Editl. the really nasty one is poison arrow and it's morphs - that is why ZOS put it from first in line to last in line.
    Edited by Lysette on May 29, 2018 11:39AM
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In that video there's no health desync, but there's a desync between the animations on the recipient's screen & the actual times those snipes land.

I.e. snipes actually land at 0:15, 0:16, 0:17 (watch the health bar/dmg numbers) but they only start displaying at 0:17, the last snipe in the chain & then all sound effects go off at once when he dies.

100% that's like exactly what happens. Wtf is the deal th this
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

100% that's like exactly what happens. Wtf is the deal th this

And that is well much like it was in the PvE Zone with that monster - my health went down and I died - and then the recap screen pop up - and finally after all this the attack sounds played. (Not that I would have survived with sound, I got a 19k pulverize at the end :blush: )

A desync between sound and action.
    Edited by Lysette on May 29, 2018 11:52AM
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m going to make an absolutely min-maxed, “BiS” Snipe build on Stam NB and use it kill groups trying to take keeps next patch. I already know a few builds that fit this criteria and the results in Dragon Bones are already insane.

Summerset grants a large buff to any dedicated Snipe builds btw.

I wonder if ZOS would care for once if they see how devastating the bugs revolving around Snipe currently are. It’s like they don’t care until it becomes very, very bad and rampant.
    Edited by Vaoh on May 29, 2018 11:55AM
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also I don’t think there is an “exploit” with Snipe. It’s just super buggy. Has been for a long time, but Snipe builds got buffed quite a bit in Summerset.
    Edited by Vaoh on May 29, 2018 11:56AM