Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Summerset foul water?

• kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first few times I tried hitting the foul holes I would see other players nearby and thought they were just fishing the holes dry as soon as they came up and I went on to something else. Last night I was on really late with no other players around. One hole spawned one time. The others never did pop. I have river and ocean finished but I fished them anyway checking the foul holes often.
    This is almost as frustrating as when I found a foul water hole in a zone that wasn't suppose to have foul water and fished it over and over for days without a trophy fish. Was before I used addons so it was a while until I discovered the foul fish dropped in other water types.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    smacx250 wrote: »
    I'll just add my voice to the chorus of those frustrated with this foul experience! This is the first time I've been genuinely frustrated with fishing. I've run into a lack of fishing holes before, but this is really ridiculous! I've spent hours running around from place to place, and as of yet I've only *seen* two of those foul holes! Still need the blue - given up for now and moved on to Artaeum... :s

I had quite the same experience with foul water and the second blue fish in Alik'r, but at least the fishing spots there were easy enough to identify...
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spent the better part of 5 hours going back and forth between the very few foul spots in summerset, and none of them were up. Tried the 2 in Karnwasten as well, not up. Even relogged and rezoned to get in another instance, not even a single foul hole up anywhere.

Way to make people lose interest in this. I'm already a Master Angler with all DLC achievements done, but if you think I'm going to spend days trying to find holes that never exist, basically wasting hours and hours and most likely have nothing to show for it in the end, then you're sorely mistaken.

Even the achievement itself is pointless, it does nothing, it just is. There was no point in making foul fishing so hard in the first place, and you really should add five times more foul fishing holes to the pool. There are plenty of areas where a foul hole would fit, but it's all ocean.

Shame on ZOS, just another grindy part of a grindy DLC that's already disappointing in so many ways.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I thought I would try my hand at fishing for the first time in Summerset. Apparently this is the wrong zone for a fishing noob because it’s too damn frustrating. I was finally able to get all the rare Ocean, Laker, and River fish, but have only found ONE Foul Water fishing location. None of the rare fish were caught there, and I’ve spent hours trying to find more locations that are active. If ZOS wanted to turn someone completely against fishing, they are succeeding.
  • dan_el2
    dan_el2
    ✭✭
    Finally, after managing to get my forums account up and running, comes my first "useful" input. Hope it helps you guys.

PYkKtjm.jpg
  • LordLomax
    LordLomax
    ✭✭✭✭
    What bate do I need to use ? Is it certain bate for different fish ? Any bait can get a motif ? Please advise fishing newbie here !
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    LordLomax wrote: »
    What bate do I need to use ? Is it certain bate for different fish ? Any bait can get a motif ? Please advise fishing newbie here !

Ocean = worms or chub

Lake = Guts or minnow

River = Insect parts or shad

Foul water = Crawlers or fish roe

When you fish in Summerset, you can get the bottles containing motifs from any of the water types.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • DamenAJ
    DamenAJ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Water- bait/better bait:

Ocean water - worms/chub
    lake - guts/minnow
    River- insect parts/shad
    Foul- crawlers/fish roe

Use the right bait in the right hole to get a better chance at motifs. If you fish up "used bait" you're using the wrong bait, try a different one. Motifs only drop from those... pyandonea? bottles, only in summerset.
  • VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This grand total of 4 foul fishing spots in the main chapter zones is clearly not enough.

Maybe there are more, but I haven't discovered them. Even after having visited the whole map with the Hissmir beverage. But who knows, maybe I just missed them, which would be so easy considering they are never up! Of the four fishing holes, there is one (the one of the bridge) that I was lucky enough to see up for a grand total of one. single. time... allowing me to capture one. single. Trodh. before it dried up!

This utter nonsense is not even a grind anymore, since most of the time we're not farming the holes, but just rushing from Point 1 to point 2 (blessed be this one which has two holes) to point three and back to point 1, praying Z'en and Kynareth and Hircine for the holes to have respawned, which, of course, they have not. So most of the time, we do absolutely nothing.

There are tons of places where it would make sense to have foul water. Corgrad. Any geyser. The Rellenthil sinkhole. The entire course of the river coming from Cloudrest, presumably poisoned by Z'Maja's pestilence. But no, there are only four, two of them actually in a place where it makes no sense to have foul water.

/rant
    My characters:
    Main and crafter: A Breton magicka templar named Erwann Sorril
    Alt 1: A Bosmer sorcerer named Tuuneleg
    Alt 2: An Imperial dragonknight named Gaius Tullius Hastifer
    Alt 3: An Argonian vampire/nightblade named Observe-le-Xanmeer
    Alt 4: A Nord werewolf/dragonknight named Sigurd Hurlevent
    Alt 5: A Breton sorcerer named Gilian Sorril (he's Erwann's younger brother)
    Alt 6: A Khajiit nightblade named Jolan-dar
    Alt 7: A Nord warden named Sigurmar Hurlevent (he's Sigurd's younger brother)
    Alt 8: An Altmer templar named Oioriel
    Alt 9: An Argonian stamina Warden named Danse-avec-les-Rainettes
    Alt 10: A Redguard templar named Neemokh af-Corelanya
    Alt 11: A Nord stamina sorcerer named Olga Écoute-Vent
    Alt 12: A Breton magicka Warden named Ian Sorril
    Alt 13: A Dunmer magicka necromancer named Ilmoran Dren
    Alt 14: An Orc stamina necromancer named Norgol gro-Borziel
    Alt 15: A Nord magicka necromancer named Thorgen Givresang
    Alt 16: An Imperial magicka dragonknight named Publius Valeirus Hastifer (Just call him "Valerio" - he's Gaius younger troublemaker of a brother)
    Main in NA (For collaborative events): A Breton magicka nightblade named Titouan Sorril (long-lost brother of Erwann and Gilian)
  • yiasemi
    yiasemi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try to go on at a quiet time. I am on Asian time and I fished by the pier where the two foul holes spawned when hardly anyone was around. I hung about, fished the ocean fishing holes for pyandonean bottles and every 15-30 minutes one of the foul holes reappeared. Completed the fishing achievement on two characters now, not too bad, the foul holes in Reapers March were about the same challenge and rarity, and there you have to watch for the boss walking around. So not too bad. As anyone who fishes in real life will tell you, you need patience.
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once I knew where the foul water spots were in Summerset, catching the 'foul water fish' was pretty easy.

The map (spoiler below) was very helpful in that it tells you the area where you can find a foul water fishing hole ... but .... if it's an area where several fishing holes spawn close to each other, not all of them will be 'foul water' (I used 'Hissmir Fish-Eye Rye' to identify which ones were which).

If you fish up 'used bait' you are probably using the wrong type of bait for the type of water you are fishing in. That being said, there is a very small chance of catching 'used bait' even when using the right type of bait. This happens on occasion when fishing holes with different water types are fairly close to one another. I usually won't change bait unless I catch 'used bait' twice in a row.
    dan_el2 wrote: »
    Finally, after managing to get my forums account up and running, comes my first "useful" input. Hope it helps you guys.

PYkKtjm.jpg
    Edited by Maryal on June 27, 2018 12:34AM
  • dan_el2
    dan_el2
    ✭✭
    yiasemi wrote: »
    Try to go on at a quiet time. I am on Asian time and I fished by the pier where the two foul holes spawned when hardly anyone was around. I hung about, fished the ocean fishing holes for pyandonean bottles and every 15-30 minutes one of the foul holes reappeared. Completed the fishing achievement on two characters now, not too bad, the foul holes in Reapers March were about the same challenge and rarity, and there you have to watch for the boss walking around. So not too bad. As anyone who fishes in real life will tell you, you need patience.

I can't agree with the "quiet time". When I did the fishing achievement the time that worked best was "prime time". Why? I believe that the more players are fishing, the more holes have to re-spawn hence a higher chance that a foul hole will re-spawn at your location. In the docks the foul holes were re-spawning every few minutes basically.

Since the foul holes spawn so rarely people on the forums and reddit (I think) have been theorizing that the foul holes share a re-spawn pool with the ocean holes in summerset. That goes well with my experience of "the more players, the more foul holes".
  • Crusism
    Crusism
    ✭✭
    Honestly, this is really bad: I feel like I have to wait like an idiot because - if I don't wait and do other stuff while waiting for the foul water fishing spot or fish something else while waiting - some other person will probably finish off the fishing spot first, which is bloody frustrating.
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Semi-OT: I've found the lake holes are harder than the foul holes. That guitar shaped lake to the east - those hardly ever spawn. I have every Summerset fish but the one blue lake fish...
  • Crusism
    Crusism
    ✭✭
    anadandy wrote: »
    Semi-OT: I've found the lake holes are harder than the foul holes. That guitar shaped lake to the east - those hardly ever spawn. I have every Summerset fish but the one blue lake fish...

There are far more lake fishing spots though in comparison to the pitiful FIVE foul water fishing spots. ._.
  • Crusism
    Crusism
    ✭✭
    Hi Zenimax, below is a picture of ONE GROUP who waited for THREE (The Number '3': THREE) straight HOURS during peak time fishing: ONLY ONE RESPAWN OF THE FOUL WATER FISHING SPOT AT THE END OF THOSE THREE HOURS. I just want you to know, that fishing the ocean and other water types do NOT decrease the waiting time (a favourite community belief), because I coordinated with my guild who are farming bottles and they are fishing pretty god damn aggressively within these THREE HOURS (to be specific, this included at least 15 guildies). To be super clear, I DID NOT WALK AWAY FROM THIS FISHING SPOT. And this isn't the only group waiting for foul water fishing spots! The other foul water fishing spots had people camping there too! Oh, did I forget to say I've been doing this for a week straight? And people already have been saying they've been doing it for WEEKS to get this blue fish?

2vtqI8d.jpg

Zenimax, this is super not okay.

Like, what kind of crazy RNG is this? We have to pray that we arrive at the foul water spawn, hoping that it's there, and then we have to pray that the RNG gives us a blue fish: which - mind you - I still do not have, and my other friend who does have it took TWO WEEKS.

Are you sure this isn't a glitch??? Or intended design for the achievement? Like, talk to us, Zenimax: do you literally want us to stand in masses for ONE out of FIVE foul water fishing spot to respawn and - by that - grace us with its presence? Grace us with disappointment if the RNG doesn't even give? It's blowing my mind, Zenimax: please, tell us.

Or be reasonable? Increase the number of foul water fishing spots? Decrease the respawn times of foul water fishing spots? Be clear on when and how they respawn? Any of these? While I understand that this is an achievement, this achievement doesn't feel like an achievement: it feels like a disengaging frustrating luck-based brag right. So, I think you can understand our frustration to attempt to achieve this, considering that we have to waste hours of our playtime to even get a chance to hope the blue fish comes to our hook!
    Edited by Crusism on July 8, 2018 8:26AM
  • six2fall
    six2fall
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had most luck with foul water spawning in the public dungeon Karnwasten (2 spots I know of, 1 from main entrance as you get to first bridge jump into water below/ second right about middle of dungeon from bottom level its thru small tunnel or can jump off the stone bridge that is between Gilleruk the Vicious & the skyshard)
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finding foul water in Summerset is a useless excercise in frustration.

It SUCKS
    Beta tester November 2013
  • lonewolf26
    lonewolf26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fear that a new water fouling sigil will soon hit the crown store.

This foul water grind in Summerset is perturbing. Either all the holes are down or you find a hole only for a zerg of 8 others to show up and deplete the hole within a couple casts.
    Edited by lonewolf26 on July 9, 2018 2:52AM
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use the purple Artaeum recipe to make this easier. It helped me increase my chances especially with othe rpeople fishing at the same hole.

The most reliable foul water location is just off the north end of the geyser near Alinor. I saw that respawn multiple times but never saw the others even in Karnwasten.
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use the purple Artaeum recipe to make this easier. It helped me increase my chances especially with othe rpeople fishing at the same hole.

The most reliable foul water location is just off the north end of the geyser near Alinor. I saw that respawn multiple times but never saw the others even in Karnwasten.

Heh. I saw that one maybe twice. I got the best return from the Alinor Docks and that was a fluke.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From the PTS patch notes:
    • There are now more pools of fishable Foul water in Summerset. Per a report released by Kinlady Avinisse, this is attributed to increased litter and run-off due to the influx of outsiders.

Congratulations, you dirty foreigners.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally got my last fish (blue foul fish) last night. I never thought it would happen.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2320+
  • ChuckyPayne
    ChuckyPayne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still nothing changed officially. I'm trying 2 days ago (early morning, and afternoon). I already saw 1 foul water and I catched 2 fish and fish hole dissapeared. :(
    Something with summerset foulwater is not okay.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone noticed where the new foul holes are on the PTS?
  • ChuckyPayne
    ChuckyPayne
    ✭✭✭✭
    I finished, yes! ty for the changes!

I found 2 foul water at Sil-Var-Woad quest hub (the ZOO) and one more at Corgrad Wastes quest hub.
  • Indigo_Shade
    Indigo_Shade
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know where the new nodes are supposed be, as announced in the Update 19 patch notes?
  • Grumblestiltskin
    Grumblestiltskin
    ✭✭✭
    I can confirm that there are 2 new nodes at Sil-Var-Woad and 1 at Congrad Wastes.

Foul_Fish1.png
    The 2nd node is just north by the fountain.

Foul_Fish2.png
    PATS - Positively Against Acronyms that don't make Sense
  • Apokalypt
    Apokalypt
    ✭✭✭
    Tip for people who struggle with the foul water:

Just go to the 2 holes at the docks and relog... if they aren`t there, try again etc. I find a spawned hole after almost every second relog...
  • scottykyzer
    scottykyzer
    Soul Shriven
    I also found a new one inside Karnwasten, on the dock near boss Shahmar.
    And a second pool at Corgrad.
    Edited by scottykyzer on August 18, 2018 6:21PM