Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

ZoS, Please Clear Bodies Away >:(

AefionBloodclaw
AefionBloodclaw
✭✭✭✭
I'm playing the Dark Brotherhood content right now and I am sick and tired of seeing bodies on the streets, what is wrong with the programmers in this game? How hard is it to edit the despawn rates so the bodies DISAPPEAR before the NPCs respawn. I just walked into a building and there are 2 bodies, and the same NPC has respawned. This is getting so pathetic. I've seen tons of other players constantly asking ZoS to fix this, for ages, and yet nothing's been done. How long do we have to wait till the devs do something about it? You know, this isn't a single player game, there are actually players who like to immerse themselves in the world and like to walk into a city that isn't unrealistically clogged with prone bodies >:(
Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 26, 2024 7:19PM
'For love, for friendship and for valour, I stand with the Aldmeri Dominion.'

Zephyrle Starbreeze, Bosmer Nightblade
Aefion Bloodclaw, Bosmer Sorcerer
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How hard is it to edit the despawn rates so the bodies DISAPPEAR before the NPCs respawn.

Those bodies do not despawn simply because person who pickpocketed them before the NPC was killed (even by other player), or player who killed the NPC didn't loot all things from the body. I think timer is standard 5 minutes, or may be a bit more.
    Same as any mob, if 3 people participated in killing the mob and it's body became lootable by all of them, the body will not despawn until each of those players takes all loot, or until the timer passed. That's also the reason why popular grind or botting locations look so horrible, filled with poor dead mobs who die in vain and are not looted properly :/

7jd1VkK.jpg

No need to "fix" it at all; it's here to allow, for example, if disconnected, to log in again within 5 minutes and still be able to loot the body. Or to allow to manage inventory if it's full, so you can still loot the body a bit later when you've made some free space. My own best example when this saved me: I disconnected almost at the end of last bosses fight in old vet WS. When I could log back in, I was already kicked from group, but bosses were dead and I could loot them at the last moment (and get Malubeth head) :)
  • AefionBloodclaw
    AefionBloodclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    what a load of rot, maybe don't bother fixing the mobs in the wilderness but they need to fix the bodies in the buildings and the cities. This is one of the reasons ESO isn't like a proper Elder Scrolls game.

• NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, there are lots of things that need fixing and this one is not one of them, because it's a relevant game mechanic. It may be unsightly, but the only realistic fix to it is to make all the dead bodies visible only for a player who has anything to loot from them after a couple of minutes and remove the bodies for everyone else, but... this is such a minor issue that it is not even worth it.

Actually, I have more immersion problems with people crawling around slaughtering everyone for legerdemain drops but well... I wish NPCs didn't make those horrible sounds when dying.
  • Graydon
    Graydon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS, just reading this makes me sick and tired.

I had to log off, throw up, and then go to bed.

Fix now please.
  • KeiruNicrom
    KeiruNicrom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you really want immersion then shouldnt you ask ZOS to "fix" the fact that npcs respawn at all?
    what a load of rot, maybe don't bother fixing the mobs in the wilderness but they need to fix the bodies in the buildings and the cities. This is one of the reasons ESO isn't like a proper Elder Scrolls game.

Exactly what i mean. A real elder scrolls game has you kill a named npc in town and they stay dead. Forever. Now thats real immersion
  • AefionBloodclaw
    AefionBloodclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well it is a massive issue its not a minor issue since there are other threads and so many other players complaining about it, and don't tell me its not and there aren't, look it up.

Having bodies lying there IS NOT A RELEVANT GAME MECHANIC. Maybe killing NPCs is but only for badly designed Dark Brotherhood dailies, which, to be honest, are a complete waste of time and I don't recommend them at all, its bad enough you have to do them for the DB quests to drop.

If the issue lies with stupid players not looting properly, then they should force autolooting on the NPC kills and reduce the time to body is there. They make the game, there's no reason why the body should be there when the NPC respawns.

• Sicsoo
    Sicsoo
    ✭✭
    Fischblut wrote: »
    No need to "fix" it at all; it's here to allow, for example, if disconnected, to log in again within 5 minutes and still be able to loot the body. Or to allow to manage inventory if it's full, so you can still loot the body a bit later when you've made some free space. My own best example when this saved me: I disconnected almost at the end of last bosses fight in old vet WS. When I could log back in, I was already kicked from group, but bosses were dead and I could loot them at the last moment (and get Malubeth head)

that's totally fair but you're looking at it the wrong way, i made a discussion about the same problem not long ago

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/410207/why-is-this-still-a-thing-after-all-this-time-corpses-lying-around#latest

THERE IS NO REASON to not transform that same body into a pile of ashes, a skeleton, or a sack/bag when the same npc just respawned, "we have the technology, let's use it"....
    your example is ok and there is no reason to change the mechanic itself but how just how it appears to the user would be enough (if everything disappear, loot included, i would be pissed too of course).

the copies of npcs themselves, both dead and alive, are laughable for a game that tries to make immersion into the elder scrolls lore a selling point.
    Edited by Sicsoo on May 16, 2018 9:34AM
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    do not disturb the dead
    PC
  • AefionBloodclaw
    AefionBloodclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, they have the technology, why not change the body into a sack of loot or something, that way it doesn't line the place with unsightly corpses and the loot is still there if you got kicked, everyone wins.

• Taysa
    Taysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the issue lies with stupid players not looting properly, then they should force autolooting on the NPC kills and reduce the time to body is there.

Uh...no. Why should my inventory be cluttered with garbage I don't want? [Snip].

[Edited to remove bait]
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on May 16, 2018 12:48PM
    5/24/18: The day ZoS suspended my forum account for trolling a troll.
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's funny when the dead bodies are there as the NPC respawns like "Yeah, you see that? That's your previous body. You know what's coming". Even if it's not me killing, I just find it funny more than an annoyance.
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • AefionBloodclaw
      AefionBloodclaw
      ✭✭✭✭
      I think it's funny when the dead bodies are there as the NPC respawns like "Yeah, you see that? That's your previous body. You know what's coming". Even if it's not me killing, I just find it funny more than an annoyance.

Yeah well Elder Scrolls games weren't meant to be comedy. [Snip].

[Edited to remove bait]
      Edited by ZOS_KatP on May 16, 2018 12:48PM

• Tabbycat
      Tabbycat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Then what would necromancers use to raise their armies of undead?

Oh, right, no Necromancer class. Necromancer class would solve the problem.

Perhaps ZOS should consider cleaning up the place before the stench of death and decay becomes overpowering.

Also, for hygiene reasons. Think of the poor NPC's that survived the massacre!
      Edited by Tabbycat on May 16, 2018 12:16PM
      Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
      0.016%
    • Zoltan_117
      Zoltan_117
      ✭✭✭
      For me the immersion problem was more about guards walking over or near dead bodies. I complained about this during the test phase.
    • AefionBloodclaw
      AefionBloodclaw
      ✭✭✭✭
      Zoltan_117 wrote: »
      For me the immersion problem was more about guards walking over or near dead bodies. I complained about this during the test phase.

well yeah that is an immersion problem too. But if the bodies weren't there, instead replaced with a bag of unclaimed loot, it wouldn't be such an issue. The guards might simply overlook a bag or sack.

• Aesthier
      Aesthier
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I think it would be fun if you had to dispose of the body by dragging it away or stuffing it behind or in a nearby barrel, or lake etc...

As someone else once brought up the idea of being able to craft items or use as outfits items that you have looted or deconstructed I think I should be able to base my appearance off of those people I have killed and skinned.
      Edited by Aesthier on May 16, 2018 12:46PM
    • AefionBloodclaw
      AefionBloodclaw
      ✭✭✭✭
      Aesthier wrote: »
      I think it would be fun if you had to dispose of the body by dragging it away or stuffing it behind or in a nearby barrel, or lake etc...

As someone else once brought up the idea of being able to craft items or use as outfits items that you have looted or deconstructed I think I should be able to base my appearance off of those people I have killed and skinned.

lol at the second part... I guess you should have the option to do that yeah if your character is some sort of psycho lol but yeah this is supposed to be roleplaying.

At the first part yeah I agree, part of the risk of actually committing such a terrible deed is that you have to actually deal with the consequences, such as with the body. Having that mechanic in the game would be great, and increase the immersion immensely as well as creativity as the player would have to decide how to dispose of it.

• Kuramas9tails
      Kuramas9tails
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah well Elder Scrolls games weren't meant to be comedy... and its not all about you sorry.

My comment wasn't suppose to be taken serious. ;) I wasn't trying to make it "about me", I was just saying it doesn't bother me either way. They could be there 5 minutes longer or shorter and I won't care. It's not a make-it-or break it for me for the game. lol. Apparently you take this a lot more serious than I do, clearly.

And comedy is all over the place in ESO and even in Skyrim! Ulfr the Blind in Skyrim is the "watchman" for a clan and tells me the boss needs to speak to me, but I am there to kill the boss. lol. Not to mention this.

J0Brw.jpg

:D:D
      Edited by Kuramas9tails on May 16, 2018 12:57PM
        Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
        New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
        AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
        AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
        FOR THE QUEEN!
        PS4/NA
      • ZOS_KatP
        ZOS_KatP
        ✭✭✭
        Hi all,

We've gone through and edited/removed a couple of posts that violated our policies on off-topic posting and baiting. Please keep your comments constructive, civil, and on-topic to the discussion at hand so you avoid arguing and derailing the thread.

Thank you.
        Staff Post
      • AefionBloodclaw
        AefionBloodclaw
        ✭✭✭✭
        Yeah comedy is in ESO but that doesn't mean this issue should be left unaddressed. There are a lot more players than just me annoyed that the issue has gone on this long, and while I appreciate the comedy aspects of the Elder Scrolls games just as much as the next person (Lusty Argonian Maid) :smile: this issue isn't about that ;)

• ADarklore
        ADarklore
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭

You do realize that all 'proper' Elder Scrolls games were SINGLE PLAYER, right? So considering ZOS has to account for MILLIONS of players playing the game at the same time, they cannot account for all the time disparity between player activities in every scenario. As it is, the game is making millions of calculations per second and decreasing respawn rates would increase the number of calculations it needs to do even shorter... so do you want ESO playable or is the despawning of corpses more important?!?
        CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
      • Pops_ND_Irish
        Pops_ND_Irish
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Geez
      • Serjustin19
        Serjustin19
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Fischblut wrote: »
        How hard is it to edit the despawn rates so the bodies DISAPPEAR before the NPCs respawn.

Those bodies do not despawn simply because person who pickpocketed them before the NPC was killed (even by other player), or player who killed the NPC didn't loot all things from the body. I think timer is standard 5 minutes, or may be a bit more.
        Same as any mob, if 3 people participated in killing the mob and it's body became lootable by all of them, the body will not despawn until each of those players takes all loot, or until the timer passed. That's also the reason why popular grind or botting locations look so horrible, filled with poor dead mobs who die in vain and are not looted properly :/

7jd1VkK.jpg

No need to "fix" it at all; it's here to allow, for example, if disconnected, to log in again within 5 minutes and still be able to loot the body. Or to allow to manage inventory if it's full, so you can still loot the body a bit later when you've made some free space. My own best example when this saved me: I disconnected almost at the end of last bosses fight in old vet WS. When I could log back in, I was already kicked from group, but bosses were dead and I could loot them at the last moment (and get Malubeth head) :)

Hey you just solved the mystery! I was wondering why dead npc won't respawn unlike Cyrodiil. My only wish is to loot Cyrodiil guards. Best part about dead bodies. Dead bodies don't tell lies. Dead bodies would tell all. Dead bodies are a warning for those whom passed. Dead bodies will celebrate, when guard kills the Murders. Or get caught I should say....
        Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
      • Rain_Greyraven
        Rain_Greyraven
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        I think it is an example of a mechanic that wasn't thought through sufficiently.....still the problem could be solved games as old as WoW does remarkable things through individual instancing...of course we are talking about an engine that can't even display a players cloak without crapping the bed.....

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
      • DocDova
        DocDova
        ✭✭✭
        Yeah, well it's not that easy to dispose of bodies, you know. Maybe ZOS should introduce a feature where like hitman you need to hide bodies manually.
      • AefionBloodclaw
        AefionBloodclaw
        ✭✭✭✭
        ADarklore wrote: »

You do realize that all 'proper' Elder Scrolls games were SINGLE PLAYER, right? So considering ZOS has to account for MILLIONS of players playing the game at the same time, they cannot account for all the time disparity between player activities in every scenario. As it is, the game is making millions of calculations per second and decreasing respawn rates would increase the number of calculations it needs to do even shorter... so do you want ESO playable or is the despawning of corpses more important?!?

Not up to date with the posts much?

• Sekero
        Sekero
        ✭✭✭
        Make a new rule. You kill a NPC, you get rid of the body. Anyone found leaving dead bodies behind gets a huge bounty..
      • Serjustin19
        Serjustin19
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Allanm wrote: »
        Make a new rule. You kill a NPC, you get rid of the body. Anyone found leaving dead bodies behind gets a huge bounty..

I love doing this in assassin's Creed. Always hide bodies. It's so much fun in a morbid kind of way. I don't remember if Skyrim was same way with picking up bodies.
        Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
      • DocDova
        DocDova
        ✭✭✭
        Allanm wrote: »

I agree, I wanted to say that But for some reason I didn't. In Fact I wanted to add that if another player has witnessed the murder, he can report it, which would add huge bounty.
      • NoTimeToWait
        NoTimeToWait
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Zoltan_117 wrote: »

well yeah that is an immersion problem too. But if the bodies weren't there, instead replaced with a bag of unclaimed loot, it wouldn't be such an issue. The guards might simply overlook a bag or sack.

Ah, but THAT would be a major immersion break. How could any proper guard pass by that lying sack of money? That is nonsense. On the other hand, some guards might be paid to turn a blind eye on dead bodies.

On a serious note, it's all about willing suspension of disbelief. Certainly, there are less RPers in game, than munchkins. So loot reward is above immersion
      This discussion has been closed.