The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[vid] MagPlar Brawler | No-CP | Outnumbered | 300+ ping

Taylor_MB
Taylor_MB
✭✭✭✭✭
There is a lot that can be improved and updated with MagPlar's skill set, but one thing it does amazing well in PvP is brawl. It can be difficult to turn around a solo outnumbered fight (even though you can sustain defensive pretty much forever), but with practice it's possible. If you've got backup, even if still outnumbered, it is much easier.

Not a typical 1vX video (although there is some of that), more wanted to highlight how well a MagPlar can survive (it's not a secret, I know) and generally be super annoying to opponents (my expertise).

https://youtu.be/r22QCl6kNBs
All clips no-cp.

PvP Defensive Set Comparison
Firestarter MagDK 1vX
- build and gamplay!
LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
- build and gamplay!
ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
- build and gamplay!
Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
My YouTube Chanel

• Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are several weak points in your playstyle, especially if you are solo and not in group: first is the usage of jabs in towers. With your ranged setup you can do nice in group fights and dont have to be on the front, which really helps you in your light armor build (i assumed light armor, since i saw transmutation and skoria, but still there were attacks which took a huge amount of your health pool). In crowded places jabs are really worth it, since they kind of allow you to stay aggressive, because of the healing of it when hitting multiple enemies. I know they are buggy, but they also grant you 10% more critdamage and special damage against blocking enemies just by slotting them. Second point is your defensive ultimate, nice in group but a death sentence if solo. You will be opened up by using it and you could have survived longer in the last scene by using either sword and shield ultimate or vampire swarm. Those are my two tipps for you. The scenes you showcase are nice but with not much really threat for losing for you. In a real outnumbered fight like the last minute you cant stand your ground for very long without some adapting (only mistforming around will not kill your enemies;)).
    Still nice video, good luck and have fun
    Edited by Checkmath on April 25, 2018 9:53AM
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah btw if you stay the ranged magplar without jabs (i know you used them in battlegrounds), you would profit more by slotting an inferno staff over the lightning one. Also take care of your resources, i know no cp pvp taxes resources very high, still you should build for not running out of stam and magicka.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Stuff! I too have dropped Sweeps from my bar and haven't looked back.

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What's everyone using for their spamable now?
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

I don't use one. Between Reflective Light, Frost Reach, Eclipse, and Purifying Light, and RD there isn't really a need for a spammable.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I’ve been on Crushing Shock since I don’t have to be close to use it. The interrupt is nice too. Also let me take toppling off my bar and go ele drain instead since I didn’t need to gap close for sweeps. (Rattlecage/Lich/Skoria with destro and sword and shield)

I don't use one. Between Reflective Light, Frost Reach, Eclipse, and Purifying Light, and RD there isn't really a need for a spammable.
    I’ve slotted Eclipse in place of RD lately
    Edited by Kartalin on April 25, 2018 1:51PM
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »
    Ah btw if you stay the ranged magplar without jabs (i know you used them in battlegrounds), you would profit more by slotting an inferno staff over the lightning one. Also take care of your resources, i know no cp pvp taxes resources very high, still you should build for not running out of stam and magicka.

Inferno will buff initial hit of purfying light, Jesus beam, and both tooltips of reflecting light. But only if you can them in the fire staff bar.

Lighting has the actual stun though with concussion procs.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks! Glad to see another magplar run frost reach!
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Experimenting :smiley: I hate the fact that I lose damage, hate the fact that it's advantageous not to use the destro passive (and thus screw yourself in PvE), and it's very annoying when this gets reflected back at me. But against magicka builds, this attack is particularly effective.

I like the OP's setup if people are looking for a more damage-CC oriented build. Julianos is a good damage set, but I'd probably experiment wit Caluurian's since it's a ranged proc and templars need burst.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Experimenting :smiley: I hate the fact that I lose damage, hate the fact that it's advantageous not to use the destro passive (and thus screw yourself in PvE), and it's very annoying when this gets reflected back at me. But against magicka builds, this attack is particularly effective.

I like the OP's setup if people are looking for a more damage-CC oriented build. Julianos is a good damage set, but I'd probably experiment wit Caluurian's since it's a ranged proc and templars need burst.

The refect is more dangerous but that's why I build for dodge rolling as well. If you are using this ability as a backbar weapon, slot snare poisons. Nothing is more annoying than to tag a someone with this ability and have them snared after they try to dodge roll lol.

Some players don't like auto procs. So julianos sure a function. I kinda wish they never touched unstable core, because it served as the burst Templars needed. They had to mess with it and nerf it's DMG a bit :( (though I love that it's completely undodgeable/unblocked).
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • rmmduece
    rmmduece
    With no sweeps or charge, how are people getting their aedric spear passive? Is the extra crit dmg and dmg reduction while blocking not missed? I agree sweeps is underwhelming a lot of the time, but I’m just curious if/how people are keeping their passives with bar setups on their offensive/defensive bars without sweeps.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rmmduece wrote: »
    With no sweeps or charge, how are people getting their aedric spear passive? Is the extra crit dmg and dmg reduction while blocking not missed? I agree sweeps is underwhelming a lot of the time, but I’m just curious if/how people are keeping their passives with bar setups on their offensive/defensive bars without sweeps.

15% block is only against melee attacks. That block mitigation is also calculated on the same side of the DMG mitigation as your armor resists. So it water downs your total mitigation in a way.

10% crit DMG is much more attractive. But is 10% extra crit DMG worth running clunky spells? I'm guessing some magplars are giving up their spear passives entirely in favor for less clunky DPS options.

That's a sign of why the Templar needs help.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Minno
    OP is using a master lightning staff, which buffs actually nothing else on his bar, since lightning staves buff aoe. Thats why a lightning staff is rather used together with jabs. But at one point he unslotted jabs, so a fire staff would have benefitted him more. He still could have destructive reach with the fire staff, since its also a cc ability.
    Especially in setups with wizards riposte or transmutation, a master staff provides you with a spammable actually. I know there isnt much time for a spammable in the magplars combo, but if the combo fails, we still can add pressure with destructive reach spamming with a master staff.
    Most templars dont use aedric spear abilities anymore on the backbar for getting the block passive. This stopped, when spear shards stopped stunning. Before that you could slot spear shards on backbar for the passive, also throw it in fight and bar swap. You then also profitted from the probably higher damage on frontbar, when the spear hits after the bar swap. But today there is no ability to slot anymory, which makes sense to slot for the passive.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »
    @Minno
    OP is using a master lightning staff, which buffs actually nothing else on his bar, since lightning staves buff aoe. Thats why a lightning staff is rather used together with jabs. But at one point he unslotted jabs, so a fire staff would have benefitted him more. He still could have destructive reach with the fire staff, since its also a cc ability.
    Especially in setups with wizards riposte or transmutation, a master staff provides you with a spammable actually. I know there isnt much time for a spammable in the magplars combo, but if the combo fails, we still can add pressure with destructive reach spamming with a master staff.
    Most templars dont use aedric spear abilities anymore on the backbar for getting the block passive. This stopped, when spear shards stopped stunning. Before that you could slot spear shards on backbar for the passive, also throw it in fight and bar swap. You then also profitted from the probably higher damage on frontbar, when the spear hits after the bar swap. But today there is no ability to slot anymory, which makes sense to slot for the passive.

I agree with all that :)
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Mihael
    Mihael
    ✭✭✭✭
    How do you kill good players with out jabs or spammable, as crappy as they may be
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mihael wrote: »
    How do you kill good players with out jabs or spammable, as crappy as they may be

Trick question; you can't kill even with jabs as a Templar lol.
    Edited by Minno on April 25, 2018 7:02PM
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mihael wrote: »

We have to keep the fight going long enough to get meteor up, and make sure they don't have cc immunity so we hit the meteor and stun them right before it hits. Vamp drain is nice for this. Javelin a little less so if they're good at blocking it.
    • PC/NA
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as just said, there are quite some templars out there playing with a master staff in their build, which provides a spammable with destructive reach. another possibility is by playing with defile (dark flare, i tested it a bit, but didnt like it much. but it works in no cp pretty well).
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Checkmath
    Not going to going to retype my entire build video but...

1) Lightening Staff
    • Heavy attack procs Skoria
    • Guaranteed resource return is a high priority in no-CP, even worth losing damage on skills
    • Buffs meteor + meteor DoT

2) Aedric Spear Passives tagging @rmmduece here also
    • It's just not worth it for the underwhelming skills
    - Sweeps misses
    - Javelin doesn't have a DoT (so no good with DoT build or with Master's Destro)
    - Charge useless cause we are ranged
    - Shards can still be used for a highly support role (this is not, though)
    - Blazing shield negative for obvious reasons
    - Sweep (ult) maybe... but defensive morph is only half defensive and offensive morph doesn't fit with DoT or range

3) Defensive Ult
    • I don't often die with Remembrance up (insert that meme here), but when I do I doubt anything else would save me. Remembrance allows me to generate both stamina and magicka during the channel, where as with S+B ult blocking alone is not enough to stay alive vs that many, so I'd have to be healing as well instead of heavy attacking, so I'm losing magicka for very slight stamina gain.
    • On the above note though, I would like to experiment with the free cost shield ult + absorb magic spam... but you'd need almost blazing shield level HP...
    • I like Bats on my DK, but remembrance is just too cheap, large heals and can save a wipe (when people stick together: not featured in video :P).

4) General Weak Points
    • "eh"
    • Show me a MagPlar build without significant weaknesses and I'll change in a heartbeat, from my humble experience it's impossible. The weak points in this build are not exacerbated by my play style or internet, I feel I compensate quite well.

5) Sweeps
    • I dunno what ping you play with, but even getting an instant cast melee ability like Reverb Bash, Surprise Attack or Burning Embers to land is a *** challenge. Even with speed pots someone just has to be moving slightly away from you and everything misses, a self snaring melee channel is just not an option.
    • I have one video, it's only about a 60second 1v2, but Burning Embers misses 6 times before I finally get a hit. The animation fully plays, it isn't dodged, just lag makes it miss. If I didn't have a buff timer for it right on top of my toon I probably wouldn't use that skill at all.

@Mihael
    It's basically attrition and luck. Even good players will eventually over extend and take an unexpected Shock Reach > Skoria > Purifying. Or get over aggressive and eat a Meteor or continue standing in Meteor DoT. This is not my best performing toon, but it can still do everything more then capably.

Edited by Taylor_MB on April 25, 2018 11:43PM
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Taylor_MB Props to you and anyone else for being able to play magplar other than in a primary healing role. It sometimes seems ZOS wants to pigeonhole us in that role but it is possible to be successful.
    • PC/NA
  • rmmduece
    rmmduece
    @Taylor_MB
    I certainly understand the no sweeps in lag. Im on console and open world sweeps is more or less unusable anywhere near most keep fights.

I do like your bar setup though, my bar layout is near identical for many of the reasons you stated, and I personally like the lightning staff for heavy mag return and I like clench for a stun more than any other accessible cc Templar’s have. Eclipse can be good, but it doesn’t secure kills as consistently as shock reach, at least not in my limited experience on magplar, which is far from my main. I do still run sweeps over radiant, but have found myself having to be very careful about only using it when it has a really high likelihood of landing, which admittedly isn’t terribly often open world. Radiant didn’t ever really impress me either though.
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rmmduece
    Yeah Radiant Destruction is pretty weak sauce, you'll see in the video even when people are in execute range I almost always reapply purify and sometimes reflective light also.

Hit and miss experience with Eclipse also, those problems are covered in pretty much every Templar write up ever, haha. It works wonders if you are defending with NPCs though.
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just going to bite the bullet and run imbue next patch.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ak_pvp wrote: »
    Just going to bite the bullet and run imbue next patch.

I think next patch I might run stamplar. Thinking of a few ideas.

Or find a way to get ghoul food+10 points into health to free up my mundas Stone to something other than mag recovery for my magplar.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Witchmothers potent brew plus shacklebreaker....skoria for monsterset to stay at same health pool.
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar in basically the best when you only slot minimiun amount on class skills on bars. That tells a sad state of magplars.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    got 3 class skills on each bar, i think there are classes with less class skills.