The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Any long-time players here only use 1 character?

Actually_Goku
Actually_Goku
✭✭✭✭
Hey guys, I’d like to start a discussion that I haven’t really seen before. This is part feedback, part discussion. So I’ve barely touched ESO for about 3-4 months now (though I’m still an ESO+ sub) and I am tossing up on whether or not to get Summerset.

I’ve played since console release, got to max CP on the EU server (it was only around 630CP at the time if I remember) and mainly for Internet speed and language barrier reasons, I switched to the NA server.

However, point 1; I’ve completely stagnated at ~460CP on the NA server and I just can’t be bothered anymore. I’m a pretty avid PVPer (75% of my time is in Cyro when time permits) and the gap is just too much to contend with now, and quite a few elitists out there don’t really allow non-max players into trials groups, vet dungeons etc.

So my question is basically, is there any avid ESO players here that only have one character?

Point 2; I feel as though the constant rush/grind of getting more than 1 character results in clutter (I have mild OCD and not remembering where certain items are on which character is definitely a contributing factor) and feels as though I’m wasting time.

So is there any avid ESO players that have not just a main, but ONLY one character - for crafting, PVE, PVP, everything, and can you explain why, and if you have always been that way - or is it something you developed in a similar way to me?

EDIT: please don’t turn this into “it doesn’t take long to get your CP up man” and a CP-centric thread - I probably understand the game mechanics, XP, questing, crafting (master crafter already at 450CP) etc better than 8/10 people.
Edited by Actually_Goku on April 13, 2018 7:09AM
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have one main I do everything on pvp pve crafting 22k achievement points too.

But I have alts that I just do crafting on for writs I don't play them just jump on do writs jump off. Once you get to cap cp then level up other character to see how they play and how to fight them that's what I did and it help me be less trash at pvp.

I don't know if this is the same or what you mean but I spend all my time on my mdk others are just there bc I got bored and wanted something to do then found a use for them with writs.
    Edited by FloppyTouch on April 13, 2018 7:12AM
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I only use 1 character. I have all alt slots filled, but they are just bankers (1 is grinded to lvl 50 though and 1 lvl 35 but they remain untouched).

when i login, it's always on my main and only do quests on him (and PvP)
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Chickenstein
    Chickenstein
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I understand the OP as explicitly asking for ONE char only accounts, no alts, no storage chars, nothing.

And while I feel a "challenge accepted" feeling popping up, I don't think that's somehow practical. It would work out eventually and I guess there might be a long time casual player who does this (as no power gamer would pass up on the opportunity alts give), but the nature of casual players usually don't bind them to games for a few years, so I guess no, this would be an exception. You are an exception :smile:
    Orc Harvester: It's about picking flowers and smashing things
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one main and do it all with him, crafting, pve, PvP etc

I have three play builds I rarely use. A thief (hate stamina playstyle tho muck about with werewolf, rolled a pet healer to prove a point (and farm dungeon CP for my main) and a PvP healer.

Later yep helped me use the dungeon daily bonus in events to build my CP up, AP, and Crystals via rewards

95% of my play now is main
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • danielclarkb16_ESO
    danielclarkb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I've been playing on and off since ESO launched on PC. I too only have one character, although I have done a couple of race changes and respecs over the years. Although I know it doesn't take a massive amount of time to level an alt, I just cant bring myself to repeat content that I've already played with my first character, I just get no enjoyment out of it. I'm quite a casual player, so I dont really do any form of PVP however I do have 4/5 friends that I regularly roll PVE content - so that helps with the enjoyment and stops the game going stale.
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I used to play this game on one character only for quiet along while. So my main can do everything from crafting to all quest completed, most achievements etc etc. As I am a completionist and everything needs to be done/collected.

So 100% will be getting summerset, once it is on your account you can always go back to it anytime you like.

Do be careful when getting another character as I am now an alcoholic! need more slots so I can do every class every role!
    -insert internal screaming-

@Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Titansteele
    Titansteele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the members of our guild only has one character, we have heard tales that he has a second and it has been sighted on rare occasions but he insists it is just a mule.

There is a standing joke in dungeons and trials because this individual is constantly seen talking to his merchant to make space in his inventory .... coincidence? I think not!
    Guild Leader of The Twelve Knights, AD PVE, PVP and Trading Guild on the EU Mega Server

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 main + Alts for writs and stuff
    PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My He she cat lizard elf vamp wolf is doing just fine with a recent spec change back to stamblade I've stated dungeons from scratch again and it's great fun because I'd never played any dungeons with stam before
    Also who is this "Alt"? ;)
    Edited by Kram8ion on April 13, 2018 8:39AM
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• dan958
    dan958
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd class myself as a 'long time player' (Member Since April 15, 2014), but very casual and an 'on and off' player. I have 1 character that I put around 19 days into.

I've probably respecc'ed about twice by choice (a couple times that were forced). Never played a trial, I think. Trying to learn all traits, not too many left to go!
    Edited by dan958 on April 13, 2018 8:44AM
    @dan958 - PC/EU - Dannuin - Nightblade - Bosmer - CP982 - For the Queen!
  • Apherius
    Apherius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

My main do everything " PVE, PVP, achievements, Battleground, fishing, crafting " it's a Mag sorc. but i have a second character that i only use for the boxes.
    Edited by Apherius on April 13, 2018 8:53AM
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the most part I play one character, but I have others because sometimes we need a different composition in our groups.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Vrox
    Vrox
    Soul Shriven
    I played a few characters of various race and classes. But I treat each one as my only character. They are all currently around level 20. They all do crafting and they don't share any melee weapons skills/research/recipe/gold. The only thing they shared are materials stored in the bank.
    I swap when I got a bit bored with one class.
  • Omenpapa
    Omenpapa
    ✭✭
    I do fullfill the requirements of this thread. Playing eso for years with a single character, which is a magSorc. Not interested in any other char at all.

I am a wizard fanatic, and prefer pure classes. This means even a stamsorc is a nogo for me.

In the past in other games I tried out other chars too, but they were always much less fun then my main. Also it was a very common thing that the actual gameplay is a lot easier with a warrior like class, which in some cases highlighting balance issues.

Nowdays i'm not even trying out the rest of the classes, that way I save myself from a lot of annoyance in case there are balance issues.

I do have all crafts, while doing pve content mainly.

Sadly eso is not exactly supporting such playstyle, because there is no easy way to switch between roles(dps,heal,tank), which is probably my biggest issue with the game.

And let's just ignore other facts like I am missing out on a skillpoint because this char is created before morrowind and other feature additions like the new tutorials/exclusive non retroactive levelup rewards...
  • Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭
    One main with many mules essentially.
    I've only just motivated myself enough recently to level two more to 50 but I generally give up on alts around 20...yawn
    Someone called me lazy the other day. I almost replied (stolen joke)
  • OGLezard
    OGLezard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been here since beta phase 1 and I am dedicated to just one character. My sorc. Been sorc since day 1.

I have tried starting other characters, but just the thought of going through that horrible horrible madness again just makes me want to uninstall.

So the 6 other characters I have TRIED to play are just now mini banks and crafters.
  • knaveofengland
    knaveofengland
    ✭✭✭
    i have 5 avatars , me main is a healer cp 360+ , the others are max level 22 , all 5 are maxed in wood metal cloth , have enough mats now to max all on every craft .

main reason i keep on the healer is dungeons , friends , do normalls you end up with that many mats , lots of readies , also can outfit other toons with dungeon sets if needed , the sets can save a shed load on gold .

being a healer never short of friends for dungeons , also on normall i hardly heal i help kill a lot .ia m completing the game all areas quests, then it be lala pvp zerg land , fun times .

would say for the income with other avatars just do the delves ,publics , shards , and quests to get enough points to have the craft for hirelings and craft/writs , you never go short of gold ever .the gold you make would be more than enogh to have other avatars power leveled . is what i will do .

so i really only use 1 avatar the rest of the stuff/items/mats far to much to sell , so used it up on me other toons . i sub as well for the craft bag .

sounds like you need friends , perhaps you can help others in pvp ,show them the ropes you make many more friends as well doing that ,perhaps even make a new guild and adopt some tomatoes, and mkae them less squishy .

with grinding most want to go alone thats a shame really since its a mmo, but thats the trend , you dont need to be max cp720 to have some fun .

wish you well .

• Xoelarasizerer
    Xoelarasizerer
    ✭✭✭
    No, but I have one main character that has all the crafting skills and my best gear, most content done (Magic DD DK... feel free to point and laugh now =P)

Rest are pretty much different classes/item sets/styles for normal undaunted.
  • AdamBourke
    AdamBourke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one character. Orran-Ka. Argonian Sorceror.

I've been playing with him since launch. I'm not hardcore, he's only got 470ish CP, rarely does PvP.

I mean... I have MADE other characters in the past. But most of them i've deleted. I technically have one other character - but that was for two reasons. 1) I needed to get some PS4 trophies I missed out on after PC-to-PS4 transfer, and 2) I needed a character to wear the female outfits I got.

I still have her, but I never log on, don't use her as a mule or anything.
    PS4 - EU

Please put the Eyevea/EarthForge wayshrines back on the map?
  • CrazyWolf712
    CrazyWolf712
    ✭✭✭
    I had only one playable character for the longest time. My main is my master crafter, PvPer, PvEer, werewolf, VMA runner, normal trials goer, achievement hunter, quester, etc. After a while, I leveled two of my older characters to have different styles but I don’t play them nearly as much as my main.

My husband is the same way. He has only ever played and leveled one character and has used that character in every aspect of the game. His main does all the same stuff as mine. He has other characters but they only give out werewolf bites lol!

What console do you play on? And are you looking for vet or just normal trial runs? We do normal and we’ll take anyone. You could join us if you’re on Xbox.
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are that type of player who likes to unlock achievements and their rewards, or to complete zones, than it is quite time consuming to play more than one char. I play since the beta days, and am most of the time on my main, a nightblade char that I had even before ESO, in rogue class in WoW. I do have two alts, but they have mostly proven to me that my play style is not suited for playing alts (because I tend to complete every zone, quests, etc)

My main char is the crafter, the others are just like helpers :) Anyway, I think it is good to keep an alt, for those days when you get bored and feel like trying other abilities, spells or re-doing some quests that you did years ago.

I know the game is way easier if you invest time in many alts for crafting/dailies/etc. But I don't like games turning into chores or second jobs. So better have one char that you love, than a bunch of random mules or crafting drones.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play ESO for almost 2 years and have 3 characters, but 2 of them are abandoned, so the only character I really play is my first, Breton Sorcerer. I trying to complete most of the achivements on him. Other characters I don't play, because I don't like how wrong narrative feels after One Tamriel and Morrowind, and I really have no time, nor desire to start a new character.
    Edited by logarifmik on April 13, 2018 11:20AM
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • munster1404
    munster1404
    ✭✭✭
    I have 7 characters. Mostly for writs. One of them is a crafter/research, another stamina toon for farming resource nodes and maxed out passives for deconstructing/refining raw materials. I had to do this since I was struggling with skill points and needed to diversify.
  • DeadlyPhoenix
    DeadlyPhoenix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys, I’d like to start a discussion that I haven’t really seen before. This is part feedback, part discussion. So I’ve barely touched ESO for about 3-4 months now (though I’m still an ESO+ sub) and I am tossing up on whether or not to get Summerset.

I’ve played since console release, got to max CP on the EU server (it was only around 630CP at the time if I remember) and mainly for Internet speed and language barrier reasons, I switched to the NA server.

However, point 1; I’ve completely stagnated at ~460CP on the NA server and I just can’t be bothered anymore. I’m a pretty avid PVPer (75% of my time is in Cyro when time permits) and the gap is just too much to contend with now, and quite a few elitists out there don’t really allow non-max players into trials groups, vet dungeons etc.

So my question is basically, is there any avid ESO players here that only have one character?

Point 2; I feel as though the constant rush/grind of getting more than 1 character results in clutter (I have mild OCD and not remembering where certain items are on which character is definitely a contributing factor) and feels as though I’m wasting time.

So is there any avid ESO players that have not just a main, but ONLY one character - for crafting, PVE, PVP, everything, and can you explain why, and if you have always been that way - or is it something you developed in a similar way to me?

EDIT: please don’t turn this into “it doesn’t take long to get your CP up man” and a CP-centric thread - I probably understand the game mechanics, XP, questing, crafting (master crafter already at 450CP) etc better than 8/10 people.

First thing you should do is farm mudcrabs. They give good exp and loot and behave just like players in PvP so it's good practice.

On a serious note, I've played console since launch and while I do have 2 max level characters and several alts, only one of them do I play. He's my crafter, pvper, trial character, angler, ect...

The main reason is because I just can't be bothered with the grind on multiple characters. Leveling is the easy part, getting the skill points and all the necessary skills leveled is what deters me.

I also don't like having to have alts for storage and hate trying to find my items, but I do it simply because I'm a bit of a hoarder. Have items I will never use, yet never get rid of simply because at this moment in time they're unobtainable anymore.

Even then, not gonna deconstruct a full legendary set just because I don't use it anymore and cant spare the bank or bag space.

So basically, just one character but with alts for storage.
  • CelestialSlayer
    CelestialSlayer
    ✭✭✭
    i have two characters - the second is building up and they are from Morrowind. When Summerset comes out I will start a new character for that expansion - might go high elf. I have been enjoying exploring Morrowind with a new character than if i went there with my super powerful main guy. So moving forwards i will create an alt for a new expansion and create a class i havent done before.
  • Meld777
    Meld777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only play one character. Though, in the very beginning, I started as a stam NB, I quickly switched to mag when vMA came out (stam was in a very bad place back then and I wanted to farm it). Back then, I had around 200 - 300 CP. Now I have 1000.

I have never farmed CP. However, I did always aim for improvement. So when I pvp'ed and someone was able to beat me 1v1 with my class, I'd always message that person, congratulate them on their skill and ask for advice, often resulting in hour-long dueling sessions where those people would teach me some stuff I didn't know yet.

When you have above-average build and skill, you also gain CP faster because you kill more and die less. That was during my PvP days. Most of the time, I'm doing PvE.

As you mentioned vet trials, I'll comment on that, too.

1. Build matters! There are builds that you can find on youtube that have a maximum damage potential of 15k. Others have a potential of 60k+ single target in a raid setting. Some will allow you to solo any vet dungeon. Find a decent build you like. Start with one of Alcast's builds, then adjust based on experience and preference.

2. Practice makes perfect! Find a friendly PvE guild where people can give advice. Do 6 keys every day. Run random Vet.

3. Run vMA. If you feel like it's (still) hard, that's very good - lots of room for improvement. Most people consider Skyreach the best place to farm CP. However, running Skyreach over and over again will kill your brain cells. Running vMA will not only improve your skills, but also provide you with pretty quick CP gain (+ vMA weapons).

4. Find some friends in game and go achievement hunting (no deaths, speedruns, hard modes, other vet dungeon achievements). Each achievement provides a significant amount of exp. It's fun and poses challenges that make you a better player.

And do not listen to people telling you to farm CP. Better learn to use your character effectively. CP will come fairly quickly once you become better.
    Edited by Meld777 on April 13, 2018 2:39PM
    Maelstrom Arena Champion | Undaunted | Fighters Guild Victor

Level 50 Magicka NB | CP160+

nAA | vCoH1 HM | nSO | nCoA2 | nDSA | nMA | vVoM

PC EU
  • Lady_Mephala
    Lady_Mephala
    ✭✭✭
    A1 since day 0 I played in beta magplar
    Edited by Lady_Mephala on April 13, 2018 3:21PM
  • casinoguy
    casinoguy
    ✭✭
    I have only one character with over 3,000 hours played. I have always been a one character person for whatever reason.
  • neverwalk
    neverwalk
    ✭✭✭✭
    buy yourself the Chef apron, dye it to your liking and use that toon as CRAFTING only. Chef's apron will remind you, you're on your CRAFTER.
  • Actually_Goku
    Actually_Goku
    ✭✭✭✭
    Meld777 wrote: »
    I only play one character. Though, in the very beginning, I started as a stam NB, I quickly switched to mag when vMA came out (stam was in a very bad place back then and I wanted to farm it). Back then, I had around 200 - 300 CP. Now I have 1000.

I have never farmed CP. However, I did always aim for improvement. So when I pvp'ed and someone was able to beat me 1v1 with my class, I'd always message that person, congratulate them on their skill and ask for advice, often resulting in hour-long dueling sessions where those people would teach me some stuff I didn't know yet.

When you have above-average build and skill, you also gain CP faster because you kill more and die less. That was during my PvP days. Most of the time, I'm doing PvE.

As you mentioned vet trials, I'll comment on that, too.

1. Build matters! There are builds that you can find on youtube that have a maximum damage potential of 15k. Others have a potential of 60k+ single target in a raid setting. Some will allow you to solo any vet dungeon. Find a decent build you like. Start with one of Alcast's builds, then adjust based on experience and preference.

2. Practice makes perfect! Find a friendly PvE guild where people can give advice. Do 6 keys every day. Run random Vet.

3. Run vMA. If you feel like it's (still) hard, that's very good - lots of room for improvement. Most people consider Skyreach the best place to farm CP. However, running Skyreach over and over again will kill your brain cells. Running vMA will not only improve your skills, but also provide you with pretty quick CP gain (+ vMA weapons).

4. Find some friends in game and go achievement hunting (no deaths, speedruns, hard modes, other vet dungeon achievements). Each achievement provides a significant amount of exp. It's fun and poses challenges that make you a better player.

And do not listen to people telling you to farm CP. Better learn to use your character effectively. CP will come fairly quickly once you become better.

Awesome reply, thank-you. This pretty much answered any lingering doubts :)