The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Some thoughts on the extremely popular ebonshadow style staff

Dong_Valentino
Recently with the outfit system hitting the live server, now i no longer see that tons of mages wallking around with the same maelstrom style staff. Everyone gets many styles to choose from. And I notice something interesting. Wherever you go, some certain style of staff has become extremely popular as you can almost see them everywhere, even in some streaming, yes i am saying the ebonshadow one. When i come to design my outfit for my magsorc, i kind of understand why.
From my perspective, the reason i use this style is, it looks the largest, yes, all staff style has some decoration on the top while the ebonshadow being the largest. A bird opening its arms, waiting to strike its enemy , the lion of the daggerfall covenant is also cool but when you put the staff on your back, oops, it looks smaller, especially with a tall character which is very common in altmer. On contrary, the bird ( or eagle?) on the ebonshadow staff looks way much cooler as it is larger and thus clearer when you are in third person doing dungeons or just pvp. Some other staff is fine when previewing in outfit system but when you put it on your back or using magic with it, for the Eight, i am using a 2 hand weapon, not a small wooden stick to fire my spell!!
Therefore, i want to give some advice. Please give us ability on adjusting the size of our weapon, and if possible, on certain parts of our weapons. I can only speak for the staff users . i would be very much like to make the staff look longer and the decoration clearer. I dont want to see all ranged dps using the same look staff as it was before.
  • Rohaus
    Rohaus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s nifty!

Thanks for sharing!
    YouTube channel Rohaus Lives!
    Daggerfall Covenant
    VR16 DragonKnight
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Try Frost Caster or Buoyant Armiger....... both are nice staves :)

e1ezd5.png

2py7wn8.png

Well I like them :)
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If people are like me, they want a staff that looks like a weapon

A spear, or a halberd.

Staffs like the Skinchanger staff looks absolutely silly to me
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A spear, or a halberd.

I like skinchanger for my warden, very druid-esque. Same goes for the low level nord, argonian, and soul shriven staves that look more natural.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Shezzarrine
    Shezzarrine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was kind of shocked to see how popular the stave is, I think it is quite ugly.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was kind of shocked to see how popular the stave is, I think it is quite ugly.

I agree with this statement.
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I love this staff I think it looks awesome I'm not a fan of the little sticks with tiny spikes
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For my main sorc, I prefer the Ancient Elf stave style. That shiz is stylish af.
    iTAx9hA.png
    So majestic
    Edited by SilverIce58 on February 21, 2018 6:51AM
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was totally going to break out a very different aesthetic for my Argonian templar... but then I saw this staff style that looks like a gods damned hood ornament so I turned him into a short aggressive leather biker OOPS.

RngfAKe.jpg
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    90% of the staff designs suck, let's be honest. There's only around 5/6 that manage to look practical as well as stylish- Ebonshadow in particular looks like one top-heavy SOB.

But then again so does 90% of the rest of the gear. Who actually wears any of those yucky racial motifs, honestly? Why haven't they overhauled them yet considering the designs from launch look like somebody's teenage son drew them? Blehh.
    Aesthetics are the new meta.
  • Ep1kMalware
    Ep1kMalware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vermintide wrote: »
    90% of the staff designs suck, let's be honest. There's only around 5/6 that manage to look practical as well as stylish- Ebonshadow in particular looks like one top-heavy SOB.

But then again so does 90% of the rest of the gear. Who actually wears any of those yucky racial motifs, honestly? Why haven't they overhauled them yet considering the designs from launch look like somebody's teenage son drew them? Blehh.

Well, not quite. They looked alot better at launch. Then one day zos just did a thing, and now they look like ass.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing always bothered me, there aren't many normal looking robes...like imagine the talos soap box preacher from in front of the fighters guild in ES5 Skyrim.

I just want normal looking robes for my magplar. Been rocking the hand costume from DB waistline and, while it's an amazing costume, it's still too elaborate for my tastes. And that hood...ugh.

Another thing that's a bummer is you cant slot a helm from outfitter. You can only use a helm from hats in cosmetics...a bummer
  • Dong_Valentino

I have carefully check evevry kind of staff style and wasting a lot of time ( and money ) to try some out. Personally i like that low level bosmer staff, as long as it can be longer. I mean, seriously, the staff is too short, kind of like some stick. And the alliance style ones, it is a good idea to make the symbol animal on staff but could you plz make it a bit bigger? The lion, the dragon, when you see from a distance in third person, they all blur into something quite... odd.
  • Dong_Valentino

Well, not quite. They looked alot better at launch. Then one day zos just did a thing, and now they look like ass.

Could you plz enlighten me what happened? How zos made it looks as they are today? thanks
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its funny.. as much as I appreciate the detail on that staff... none of my characters are actualy using it, and its not merely becasue of the cost either. its just.. I don't know, i don't like the way it looks when equipped. militant ordinator on the other hand is quite awesome, among a few other designs and I'm actualy pretty partial to imperial staffs as well. they are not overly complex but lovely enough and best part? cause I have imperial edition - completely free to use :D well.. almost, dye still costs gold, but you know what i mean :P
    Edited by Linaleah on February 21, 2018 8:32AM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »

A spear, or a halberd.

I like skinchanger for my warden, very druid-esque. Same goes for the low level nord, argonian, and soul shriven staves that look more natural.

Mintour and deadthorn have similar feels
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear OP,

It's staff that says traditional sorc this why. It's got that deadric yet refined feel.By the way, If I can't find later today then I am blaming you
    Edited by Tasear on February 21, 2018 8:37AM
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apostle staff it is for me at the moment. Stumbled across it in the “best staff” thread. I’d like a staff though that is like Caranthir’s in Witcher 3 - an illuminated icy globe. That would be awesome.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Ebonshadow Staff has a cool and unique look. I like it.

There are lots of great styles though so I probably won’t be using Ebonshadow for my staves.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

A spear, or a halberd.

Heh and I think the ones that look as if they are, well, "compensating" are silly. I like the skinchanger on my warden, seems appropriate.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • Bleakraven
    Bleakraven
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like it because I can easily tell which staff I have equipped (healing or damaging)
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    freespirit wrote: »

e1ezd5.png

2py7wn8.png

It's the style of staffs i like the most too. Currently have the BA style one.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't fantasy films taught you anything? The best mages use walking sticks! (Soul Shriven)
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For my main sorc, I prefer the Ancient Elf stave style. That shiz is stylish af.
    iTAx9hA.png
    So majestic

I would LOVE the Ancient Elf staff, if the jewel/decoration on top wasn't paper thin flat, unlike the jewel in the dwemer staff which is actually in 3D. If they would update the model and actually make the top of the AE staff 3D it would easily be in my favorites.

Currently my fav staff styles (no order):
    Apostle
    Glass
    Ebonshadow
    Malacath
    Dwemer
    Edited by JJBoomer on February 21, 2018 11:43AM
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    Dear OP,

It's staff that says traditional sorc this why. It's got that deadric yet refined feel.By the way, If I can't find later today then I am blaming you

Lol, took me 2 days of running around Tamriels' Guild Traders, but I finally found it for 11K. Yay! :smiley:

(TTC search was no help what so ever as none of the listed :trollface: motifs were anywhere to be found.)
    Edited by Idinuse on February 21, 2018 11:41AM
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please give us ability on adjusting the size of our weapon, and if possible, on certain parts of our weapons.

Agree! Need more customization :) Also someone really needs to carefully review textures and channels on many staves (on all gear actually, but we're only talking about staves now) - some staves almost don't take dyes, some parts can't be dyed at all. I used to love Barbaric staff and was looking forward to dye it... But it takes colors so horribly that I won't ever use it in my outfits :/

Unfortunately I like only a few types of staves, and even less of them dye well enough for my taste (only 2 actually, and 1 has small part which can't be dyed) :/ Ebonshadow staff is rather cool, but I don't like it's rear view for some reason. Currently loving Hollowjack and Akaviri staves :) Hollowjack lacks the important option to dye glowing parts though :/ And awesomeness of Akaviri staff really surprised me - I have never used it before we got outfit system. It dyes well, and we can even dye that gem on it <3 Such little detail, but very important.

8TeAglu.jpg

This staff is large yet slim, looking both aggressive (top reminds me of sharp blades) and humble at the same time. Whoever designed this staff - truly well done :)
  • Dong_Valentino
    Bleakraven wrote: »
    I like it because I can easily tell which staff I have equipped (healing or damaging)

When unsheathed, healing staff and destruction staff are held by your character with different poses. And i remember fire and lightning staff are not the same, either.
  • Dong_Valentino
    freespirit wrote: »

e1ezd5.png

2py7wn8.png

i like the frostcaster staff but it is a pity that i cant dye the top decoration. :neutral: . I need a white dye on my clothes to match it while i find out that the julianos white is a bit.. dirty? ( some texture problems i think).
    And i neither have the luck to get a BA staves staff motif myself or from the crown crates last season nor have the money to afford one ( pour a lot of money into housing) :neutral:
    Thanks for the advice anyway!
    Edited by Dong_Valentino on February 21, 2018 1:57PM
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glass is preety neat

Glass-Ruby-Ash-Staff.jpg

I also love khajiits

Khajiit-Ruby-Ash-Staff.jpg
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Milvan wrote: »
    Glass is preety neat

Glass-Ruby-Ash-Staff.jpg

I also love khajiits

Khajiit-Ruby-Ash-Staff.jpg

Yea, khajiit and dro'mathra have always been some of my favorite staff styles (but they're also my favorite race, so i'm a little biased).

Once the dragonbones update hits ps4 i'm going to turn my khajiit templar healer's staves to the khajiit style (currently they're daedric i think, spellpower cure staves). I use the dromathra staves on my khajiit pet sorceror for a more sinister feel.

Warden will be using skinchanger for the nature aspect. I'm still trying to find ideal staff styles for my nightblade healer and dragonknight tank though. DK tank is currently using nord, for the dragon appearance, but I wish there was something with more fire to it (punny). Nightblade needs something sinister yet practical.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank