Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Suspensions for Update 17 XP Exploit

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man you guys acted fast on this

WHERE ARE THE MYSTERY BOXES?!?!
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dragonnord wrote: »
    Asgari wrote: »
    So what happens to the few who went down there to kill players and got xp from others in their faction? Are they being punished for 2 weeks as well

I think the matter is clear. If you were there enough time as to CLEARLY see you were earning unusual and excesive amounts of XP... and you remained there, I think it doesn't matter if that XP came from your blade or the killings of your group.

What if you were there’s for 15 minutes? It was 1 million a mob? Doesn’t take long and if you are killing you won’t see it right away.
    Formerly @Persian_Princess .. Now @Asgari
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Ariana Kishi | DK | True Liberator of Haderus
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
    Youtube: Asgari
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Gina.

Seems like a strong enough punishment and glad to see the gains removed. Are you able to say if accounts with suspension are also given flags so any repeat offenders will eventually run out of strikes?

Yes, and it's very possible that some of these accounts already have strikes and will not be reinstated.
    Awesome, thanks Gina. :smile:
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    TheZirex wrote: »
    That took some time. Glad it finally happened though.

A week? :)

I'm glad they took their time to be careful in the application of the BanHammer.

Excellent, really happy to see that this sort of thing will be addressed. Well done!

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ehh, idk about this one. Had it been 5m gold instead of xp, absolutely. But leveling characters affects no one but those doing so. In my opinion, this was a "ahh damn, fix the bug and move on" case. Sometimes things like this happen and when no achievements or collectibles/consumables are involved, I think it's best to just fix it and not let it happen again. It's nice to see Zos taking action, but I disagree with something that does not affect other players being a bannable offense.

That being said, if so many people are willing to exploit experience, maybe Zos should take a look at adding a character level token to the crown store.

It's pretty simple. There are rules we agree to. If we break those rules, we pay the price. They took a shot and got caught. No sympathy for 'em.

Price paid.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Overkill, since exactly zero players were being harmed by the bug.

Well, given their track record, that's probably the only reason it got dealt with at all.

It's only a priority when it's beneficial to players.

Nevermind the buggy AA pull where the mobs will reset over and over and over again. Or the disappearing Void textures in the Mage fight. Or the perma-death bug in HRC if someone dies while the group is split. Or the invisible group members bug. Or the invulnerable boss in WGT when you kill things too quickly.

But nah, ZOS lets those exist for years. A helpful bug, though? Better fix that immediately.
    Edited by Jhalin on February 19, 2018 7:13PM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    276, that number is smaller than I would have suspected. I guess those 276 must have went off the rails, like adding hundreds of CP. At then end of the day, the ban is minimal, couple weeks in the penalty box and any gains removed, pretty tame at the end of the day. Thanks for the update.
    Players who has not been in IC for an year but now stayed hours.
    Players who also had xp potion or scroll active :)

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Ixtyr
    Ixtyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rickter wrote: »

WTF, there's two of these guys?
    Ixtyr Falavir - Bosmer Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant
    Reya Falavir - Dunmer Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion
    Kaylin Falavir - Dunmer Nightblade - Ebonheart Pact
    ---
    Alyna Falavir - Dunmer Dragonknight - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aernah Falavir - Altmer Templar - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aranis Falavir - Bosmer Sorcerer - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aerin Falavir - Bosmer Warden - Daggerfall Covenant
    Rhys Falavir - Orc Sorcerer - Aldmeri Dominion
    Rhiannon Falavir - Altmer Templar - Aldmeri Dominion
    Nenara Falavir - Argonian Warden - Aldmeri Dominion
    Neera Falavir - Orc Warden - Aldmeri Dominion
    ---
    The Ska'vyn Exchange - Guild Master
    Vehemence - Officer
    Nightfighters - Member
    -
    Ømni - Guild Master (Retired)
    ---
    Moderator of /r/elderscrollsonline
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ixtyr wrote: »

Probably alt account
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was hoping for burning at the stake but temp bans work too.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • krachall
    krachall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LMar wrote: »
    "Never play exploit on patch day" has never been truer!

Fixed that for ya.
  • pattyLtd
    pattyLtd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m sorry but your (@zos) attitude stinks. Be ashamed of yourself.
    How the hell is it even possible to not notice this when you are testing your software before going live?

But you sure suspend players for playing your crappy update riddled with bugs.
    English is not my native language, no grammar police please, tyvm
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point Asylum exploit perma bans are looking little silly.
  • DjMuscleboy02
    DjMuscleboy02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ehh, idk about this one. Had it been 5m gold instead of xp, absolutely. But leveling characters affects no one but those doing so. In my opinion, this was a "ahh damn, fix the bug and move on" case. Sometimes things like this happen and when no achievements or collectibles/consumables are involved, I think it's best to just fix it and not let it happen again. It's nice to see Zos taking action, but I disagree with something that does not affect other players being a bannable offense.

That being said, if so many people are willing to exploit experience, maybe Zos should take a look at adding a character level token to the crown store.

It's pretty simple. There are rules we agree to. If we break those rules, we pay the price. They took a shot and got caught. No sympathy for 'em.

Price paid.

It's not that simple. This is a video game where devs can easily make simple mistakes, it's not black and white. I guess, in the end, it's Zos' own discretion but there should be cases in which zos needs to realize that bans aren't needed. Remove the xp, strike the account and move on. This exploit affected no one, devalued no achievements or collectables, did not leak into the market and therefore renders nothing further than what would essentially be an account rollback.
    Brodor - PC NA - ESO's only pure bodybuilding guild
    Hodor, but stronger
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Price paid.

It's not that simple. This is a video game where devs can easily make simple mistakes, it's not black and white. I guess, in the end, it's Zos' own discretion but there should be cases in which zos needs to realize that bans aren't needed. Remove the xp, strike the account and move on. This exploit affected no one, devalued no achievements or collectables, did not leak into the market and therefore renders nothing further than what would essentially be an account rollback.

Yes. Yes it is. To stumble across a bug, sure. But the difference here was that once they figured out that it was a bug, it went from "bug" to "exploit" due to their continuing to take advantage of the bug. And that is against the game's rules.

Sorry, they cheated, knowingly and now they pay the price. This they agreed to, as we all have.

They played, now they paid.

• Vezuls
    Vezuls
    ✭✭✭
    A 2 week ban..... ZoS you all straight up went overboard. Sure, if people went from 200-600 CP I can understand that a 2 week ban would be in order, but some got banned for barely even doing anything. I'm not saying let it go unpunished, but 2 weeks... Come on now. 3 day bans would be sufficient for most people.

Let's not forget this ZOS: you are the problem. Yes, people exploited, but you couldn't test something so simple to prevent it from happening? Also, to most players, what is experience even? It doesn't hurt anyone that someone has more experience than you. This punishment does not fit the crime in regards to most players... 3 day bans sure, but 2 weeks is entirely too much and is simply ZoS trying to make an example of people to not exploit when they surely mess up. That says more about your confidence in your team than anyone else.

Here's an example: Listen to feedback and test the game.

And no, I did not use this exploit at all, I told my entire guild to not abuse it, and I even argued with exploiters saying they 100% deserve to be banned. However 2 weeks is far too long in most cases. Reduce these to 3 days and stop trying to show off your golden hammer
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_Finn
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That’s actually quite kind of them. WoW eradicates accounts for this kind of behaviour. Any exploiters should consider themselves VERY lucky.
    Edited by Peekachu99 on February 19, 2018 8:00PM
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to be fair. ZOS took a reasonable amount of time to review the data, reach a conclusion and act on it.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the amount of complaining we see over a simple couple hours of unexpected maintenance, I shouldn't be surprised that there are people complaining that 276 people are looking at a 2 week ban for exploiting a bug.

And yet I am. This is a good middle ground that shows ZOS is taking the matter seriously and yet doesn't permanently punish anyone for making a stupid choice that they should have known better. And yeah, they should have known better, having agreed to the TOS and Code of Conduct when they play the game.
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vezuls wrote: »
    A 2 week ban..... ZoS you all straight up went overboard. Sure, if people went from 200-600 CP I can understand that a 2 week ban would be in order, but some got banned for barely even doing anything. I'm not saying let it go unpunished, but 2 weeks... Come on now. 3 day bans would be sufficient for most people.

Let's not forget this ZOS: you are the problem. Yes, people exploited, but you couldn't test something so simple to prevent it from happening? Also, to most players, what is experience even? It doesn't hurt anyone that someone has more experience than you. This punishment does not fit the crime in regards to most players... 3 day bans sure, but 2 weeks is entirely too much and is simply ZoS trying to make an example of people to not exploit when they surely mess up. That says more about your confidence in your team than anyone else.

And no, I did not use this exploit at all, I told my entire guild to not abuse it, and I even argued with exploiters saying they 100% deserve to be banned. However 2 weeks is far too long in most cases. Reduce these to 3 days and stop trying to show off your golden hammer
    2 weeks is not a long time
    and players knew exactly what they were doing when they killed a mob that gave 500k xp, if they decided to stay longer they kinda had this coming, just be glad its 2 weeks and not a perma ban

Every game has bugs, its on the players to exploit bugs. Stuff randomly breaks, happens more so with ZOS but its not an excuse honestly

To be fair this is exactly what they should have done when people exploited Asylum, a 2 week ban and remove everything the account got, no one should lose their accounts over random bugs like this, people should lose their accounts for exploiting millions of gold and then selling it for real life money.
    #MOREORBS
  • pattyLtd
    pattyLtd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of them?

We are their customers and they have a horrible track record on this with their DLC’s.
    ESO is a big game with aneven bigger bug list and its very close to being unplayable because of it.

They have no right to wag their little fingers at any of us and even casually add in a follow üp that they might not get reinstated.

PS: im on ps4 so i didnt commit the horrible offense of killing mobs and two weeks is not the end of the world bit have they acknowledged any of the other 1000 bugs they added to the game ?

I would quit if i worked for a company like this.
    Have a nice day

Edit: went to far lol
    Edited by pattyLtd on February 19, 2018 8:15PM
    English is not my native language, no grammar police please, tyvm
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ixtyr wrote: »

Not the same people. I was here first!
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Vezuls
    Vezuls
    ✭✭✭
    Nifty2g wrote: »

and players knew exactly what they were doing when they killed a mob that gave 500k xp, if they decided to stay longer they kinda had this coming, just be glad its 2 weeks and not a perma ban

Every game has bugs, its on the players to exploit bugs. Stuff randomly breaks, happens more so with ZOS but its not an excuse honestly

To be fair this is exactly what they should have done when people exploited Asylum, a 2 week ban and remove everything the account got, no one should lose their accounts over random bugs like this, people should lose their accounts for exploiting millions of gold and then selling it for real life money.

I agree. So if a 2 week ban should have been the answer for the VAS exploit, that means this exploit which is only exp, should have been 3-7 days with removal of all exp gained. I understand it is up to players to exploit, but IMO, 2 weeks for a harmless bug like this is too much. I know people who got 30 CP who got hit. 30 CP deserves 2 weeks? IDK.

100+ CP definitely deserves 2+ weeks, but not 30 CO imo.
  • DjMuscleboy02
    DjMuscleboy02
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Price paid.

Yes. Yes it is. To stumble across a bug, sure. But the difference here was that once they figured out that it was a bug, it went from "bug" to "exploit" due to their continuing to take advantage of the bug. And that is against the game's rules.

Sorry, they cheated, knowingly and now they pay the price. This they agreed to, as we all have.

By this logic, jail time should be the same for all crimes of theft. Yet some are given community service and sent on their way. Sometimes you give back what you've taken and go on with things.

I guess we can agree to disagree, but I really think a two week minimum ban here was Overkill.
    Brodor - PC NA - ESO's only pure bodybuilding guild
    Hodor, but stronger
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

3 days suspension with account wipe option when the time is up
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I agree. So if a 2 week ban should have been the answer for the VAS exploit, that means this exploit which is only exp, should have been 3-7 days with removal of all exp gained. I understand it is up to players to exploit, but IMO, 2 weeks for a harmless bug like this is too much. I know people who got 30 CP who got hit. 30 CP deserves 2 weeks? IDK.

Best to stay away completely from said bugged areas, if you noticed your Xp shooting up 2m after one kill then you know somethings wrong after the first kill
  • Vezuls
    Vezuls
    ✭✭✭
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »

Best to stay away completely from said bugged areas, if you noticed your Xp shooting up 2m after one kill then you know somethings wrong after the first kill

Yup. I agree. People should have left the area knowing something was up. This was an exploit. But like @DjMuscleboy02 said, in real life there are varying punishments for crimes on different scales. Everyone should not have been blanketed a 2 week ban. Some should have gotten less, some more.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Price paid.

By this logic, jail time should be the same for all crimes of theft. Yet some are given community service and sent on their way. Sometimes you give back what you've taken and go on with things.

I guess we can agree to disagree, but I really think a two week minimum ban here was Overkill.

They had the metrics. They can tell who did what, probably whether or not they encouraged others to join in etc. This is hardly equivalent to "jail time", it's a temporary ban. They needed a wake-up call.

Yup, agree to disagree for sure. I think cheaters are, well, I don't want to get sanctioned. Let's just say they're weak. Any "win" or "gain", simply isn't. It was gotten by cheating.

• goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pattyLtd wrote: »
    I’m sorry but your (@zos) attitude stinks. Be ashamed of yourself.
    How the hell is it even possible to not notice this when you are testing your software before going live?

But you sure suspend players for playing your crappy update riddled with bugs.

Some bugs will only reveal themselves on the live server.
  • Chicharron
    Chicharron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in Craglorn then I get kicked out, check my email and 15 Days Vacations.

I was like WTF, I just step once in Cyrodill for 15 minutes like 2 months ago and never again, then ask to my nephew (he lives with me) and he says: oh yes the other day in Imperial City I earn like 30 CP points in 10 minutes was awesome...

Im ok with the punishment, my account my responsibility and lesson learned, no more ESO for my nephew ever, at least not with my money.
    Edited by Chicharron on February 19, 2018 8:29PM
This discussion has been closed.