The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Critical Bug: Weapon swapping broken in PTS 3.3.x

code65536
code65536
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
gbClAno.png

Synopsis: Weapon swapping produces the following error message: "Cannot weapon swap while changing gear." The weapon swap will still succeed, but there is a noticeable delay in the swap, alongside the error message shown above and a sound effect (that sounds like "chinc") accompanying the error.

Why this bug matters: This bug adds a small but noticeable delay to the weapon swap which makes weapon swaps feel less fluid and noticeably increases the weapon swap vulnerability window during which block is not active. This latter point is especially important for tanking, as I've been killed a few times because this bug caused my block to take too long to reactivate after a weapon swap.

This is not a new bug: This bug is present on the current Live server. However, the bug as it exists on the PTS behaves very differently than the bug that exists on Live.
  • On the Live server:
    • This bug has a chance of triggering when a player changes one or more of their equipped weapons. A weapon that fully discharges or a weapon that is recharged after being fully discharged can also trigger this bug because the deactivation and activation of the weapon's enchantment is treated by the game engine like equipping a different weapon (i.e., it would appear that the game treats a weapon losing all of its charge as unequipping an enchanted weapon and equipping an unenchanted weapon).
    • Once triggered, every weapon swap will display this error and incur a small delay.
    • This bug can be reliably fixed by encountering a load screen (rezoning, reloading UI, or even just walking through doors that transport you to a different part of the map) or by unequipping and reequipping any piece in a non-weapon slot. After invoking a fix, weapon swaps once again work smoothly with no error messages.
    • In other words: On the Live server, the bug is triggered only by a specific thing happening, and there are easy and reliable workarounds and fixes.
    • This bug has existed on the Live server in this form for well over a year. It's mostly a minor inconvenience.
  • During PTS week #1:
    • This bug seems to trigger much more frequently, sometimes for no apparent reason. The trigger for this bug is no longer as deterministic. Changing the items equipped in the weapon slots can trigger it. But so can resurrecting after a death.
    • The methods to fix and work around this bug do not work as reliably as before. For example, on the Live server, un-equipping and re-equipping a necklace will always make the errors stop. During the first week of PTS, this method would work a majority of the time, but not always.
  • During PTS week #5:
    • This bug is ever-present. From the moment I log onto the character, every single weapon swap, in or out of combat, is accompanied by this error message and a slight but noticeable delay.
    • None of the known workarounds and fixes are effective. Reloading UI, rezoning, relogging, etc. None of it has any effect.

Other notes: Yes, I've tested this with all addons disabled. Addons have no effect whatsoever on this bug. In hindsight, I should've said something during the first week of PTS. The bug during the first week of PTS was worse than what it is on Live, but the workarounds still (mostly) worked, so I just chalked it up to PTS being PTS and assumed (incorrectly) that it would go away in a future PTS. Much to my surprise, when I tested things during PTS week 5, I found that the problem had instead grown considerably--and intolerably--worse.

This is a pretty serious bug, particularly for tanks since it adds a substantial delay to when your block is reactivated following a bar swap. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom Please make sure this gets looked at ASAP.
Edited by code65536 on February 7, 2018 8:10PM
Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
Personal best scores:
Dungeon trifectas:
Media: YouTubeTwitch