The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Giving up on VMA Final Boss - Weapon Can't be Worth THIS!

bhagwad
bhagwad
✭✭✭✭
So after countless soul gems and grand repair kits on my Magplar on PS4, I'm giving up on Voriak Solkyn - the final boss of VMA. I'd love to get a maelstrom lightning staff, but it's not going to happen. I"ve tried everything, but I can't get the three crystals down. I've been following Alcast's guide, and even though I can pull 27k DPS at CP 522, I just don't have enough DPS to down the crystals. And if I jump down, there's a crematorium guard waiting for me.

Enough is enough. I'm accepting that I'm just not up to the task. I've risked the wrath of my wife, neglected my piano, taken time out on Thanksgiving holidays to spend it on VMA. And now I'm just tired. I've spent all my gold on repair kits, and I'm tapped out.

So much for taking advantage of the double weekend Orsinium event.

It's funny because every single gear guide for PvE recommends a Maelstrom staff. Well, screw it. I will live with a subpar build.

Edit: Question - How much easier is VMA with a Magsorc as opposed to a Magplar? I've never run a sorcerer, so I don't know...

PPS: I'm also a vampire. Stage 2. I don't want to cure it, because I spent 1500 crowns on getting the infection! Don't want it to go waste...
Edited by bhagwad on November 22, 2017 10:23PM
  • SFDB
    SFDB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been at that point for about eight months now (I've only twice gotten the third crystal, and both times I died to lag); I wish that it didn't make you do the entire final level all over again in order to get to him. Frustration is bad for the game experience, but the game punishes you for walking away for a while so that you can return ready to try again.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need to, check ping and,adjust based on ping so it,more balanced. Every thing that happens via lag penalizes the player.
  • Jurand80
    Jurand80
    ✭✭✭✭
    piano > vma
  • GrigorijMalahevich
    GrigorijMalahevich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can down all the crystals with 15-20k dps somewhere before the third circle starts.

Clearing vMA is not about DPS, it is all about mechanics, doing top100 high score is all about burst/DPS...

Don’t jump down until you destroy crystals :) when you get down immediately take shield sigil and hug boss collecting golden ghosts and killing summoners. When you get three ghosts - boss will teleport and crematorium guard will spawn - use ghost stun and AOE them both. Destro ult, spear and blockade should easily do the job.

P.S. gitgud

PC/EU 800 CP.
    PvP MagSorc.
    Pedro Gonzales - Mag Sorc EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/CB6j6
    Valera Progib - Stam Sorc DC vMA Flawless Conqueror clear https://i.imgur.com/eYgpXG2.png
    Valera Pozhar - Mag DK EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/jrsuK
    Valera Podlechi - Mag Templar AD vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/N0BYq
  • Tactical32
    Tactical32
    ✭✭✭
    The crystals are basically the first "wall" in the last round. I'd be willing to bet that most players struggled there at first when reaching the boss fight.

Keep practicing. Eventually you'll get one down and then 2 and then you'll start making it back down for the finale.

If you made it that far, you'll be able to finish, only a matter of time and practice.

Just remember to snag those golden ghosts!
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We all have been there buddy.

In a few runs you will say "how in the oblivion did I ever get stuck in this boss?"
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • PureEnvelope35
    PureEnvelope35
    ✭✭✭✭
    bhagwad wrote: »
    Edit: Question - How much easier is VMA with a Magsorc as opposed to a Magplar? I've never run a sorcerer, so I don't know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrfWst9lyWs
    Magsorc makes it that much easier at the moment. :|
    Edited by PureEnvelope35 on November 22, 2017 10:11PM
    • Fashion is the true endgame.
    • PC EU
    • EP Astera the Charlatan Stamina Arcanist (PvE)
    • EP Malina the Pure Stamina Warden (PvP)
    • EP Athena the Pure Stamina Dragonknight (PvP)
    • EP Elizabeth the Pure Stamina Sorcerer (PvP)
    • DC Bonneville the Pure Magicka Dragonknight (PvE)
    • DC Lyudmila the Omen Stamina Necromancer (PvE)
    • DC Breña the Pure Stamina Nightblade (PvP)
    • DC Cirise the Pure Magicka Warden (PvP)
    • DC Melinda the Omen Stamina Necromancer (PvP)
    • DC Adeliane the Pure Magicka Templar (PvP)
    • AD Valencia the Pure Magicka Dragonknight (PvE)
    • AD Do'Nhadir Stamina Nightblade (PvP)
    • AD Xiphias Sword-Like-Comet Stamgicka Warden (PvP)
    • AD Eleanora the Pure Stamina Sorcerer (PvE)
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guide you should be following is Joy's guide:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/233356

There is a whole section about the crystal phase.

I've done the crystal phase in a single session on a 200 CP magblade, so it's doable, but as Joy's guide points out, doing it in two sessions is a legit strategy if you can't do it in one, and there are ways to ensure that you survive the CG that awaits you downstairs. The CG isn't that bad, especially if you are ready for it (i.e., you planned for it and intentionally jump down vs. being involuntarily knocked down--you can look down and see where the healing or defense sigils are, and either one of those will keep you alive).

I guess the best advice that I have for the crystal phase is: use your DoTs. Make sure your Blockade, Shards, and Reflective Light / Vampire's Bane are always on a target. Your DoTs will do much of the work and ensure that damage is being done even when you're busy with the wall.
    Edited by code65536 on November 22, 2017 10:10PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    huh... crystal is the easiest part for me. I alays have trouble with the first crematorium guard that spawns at the very beginning, and then towards the end i have trouble dodging the chill wraiths trying to pick up the golden ones... but hte crystal is a nice break.

USE SPEED POTS.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Saumur11689
    Saumur11689
    ✭✭✭
    I think connection plays a huge part.

Sometimes my shield last forever, other times I die even by just spamming shield.
    I'll try with a decent connection as soon as I get it.
    Lvl 750+ Sorcerer (AD)
    EU XboxOne
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magsorc makes it that much easier at the moment. :|
    No, you'll struggle on every class, even msorc and mnb, until you are comfortable with the choreography. And when you are, any class can be made to look easy.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Surak73
    Surak73
    ✭✭✭✭
    27K dps is much more than enough. Bring your ass back in there.

As for crystals phase: 1) avoid comets; 2) avoid comets; 3) avoid comets; 4) block skull attacks (don't roll dodge, spare stamina); 5) magplar is slow, use a speed potion (maybe with butterfly/jelly/blessed, which also gives an healing over time to counter soul burst).

Jumping down before finishing is not necessary, but if you want to do so remember to kill the second healer before you go upstairs.
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This Looks Like A Job For ..

1zuk24.jpg

@Lukums1
    "By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• Jolipinator
    Jolipinator
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I tried it for the first time during this event, but using my Sorceress, and following some guides. So I can't say how much easier it is than other classes. Just keep trying.

I definitely recommend the advice to jump down after 2 crystals to let the damage over time reset. It gives me a chance to build up my resources and heal.

Funnily enough, each time I have managed to kill him I have been drained of resources and just heavy attacking. It always feels like such a lame way to end the fight. Very unfulfilling. But a win is a win.

Whether the staff was worth it or not I can't say. Haven't noticed it yet really. But I know my bow will be.
    PS5 EU.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think connection plays a huge part.

Sometimes my shield last forever, other times I die even by just spamming shield.
    I'll try with a decent connection as soon as I get it.

There's a DoT that's put on you that gets stronger the longer you're up there. You can reset it along with the speed of the wall by jumping down if the DoT becomes too strong.

@Saumur11689

BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The weapons aren't worth it anymore. I still use the restoration staff on my magicka DK for sustain but the destruction staff doesn't help any of my characters in PvP.
  • wizzard
    wizzard
    ✭✭
    So after countless soul gems and grand repair kits on my Magplar on PS4, I'm giving up on Voriak Solkyn - the final boss of VMA. I'd love to get a maelstrom lightning staff, but it's not going to happen. I"ve tried everything, but I can't get the three crystals down. I've been following Alcast's guide, and even though I can pull 27k DPS at CP 522, I just don't have enough DPS to down the crystals. And if I jump down, there's a crematorium guard waiting for me.

Enough is enough. I'm accepting that I'm just not up to the task. I've risked the wrath of my wife, neglected my piano, taken time out on Thanksgiving holidays to spend it on VMA. And now I'm just tired. I've spent all my gold on repair kits, and I'm tapped out.

It's funny because every single gear guide for PvE recommends a Maelstrom staff. Well, screw it. I will live with a subpar build.

PPS: I'm also a vampire. Stage 2. I don't want to cure it, because I spent 1500 crowns on getting the infection! Don't want it to go waste...

Without giving u any advice or any builds I m just telling this arena is a solo arena, with that fact the difficulty shd scale with the cps so no1 gets in trouble

• nolangrady
    nolangrady
    ✭✭✭

A few tips for you from a guy who bashed his head against the wall for almost 2 years.

1. Pet Sorc is the "easiest" build I have used in vMA. If you follow several of the guides out there you will see how useful the build can be

2. There is a trick to the crematorial guard but takes some practice. If you hug him and move around him clockwise while he breathes fire you will take little to no damage.

3. Crystals can be done in two phases. If you fall down grab the health sigil before you go back up so that the DoT doesn't kill you

4. The pet comes in handy on crystals while you are running with the shield

5. I promise once you get the crystal phase down the last phase is much easier. The CG is the boss in my opinion as you can easily avoid most of the boss' damage.
  • Mazbt
    Mazbt
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can do it on a slow magplar with NO speed pots. Which means anyone can do this. High ping can be a problem of course but I see that more as an rng thing as a consistent thing. at least in my experience. Take advantage of the sigils. There is one for speed, and one for regen on top of the usual offensive, and defensive ones.
    Edited by Mazbt on November 22, 2017 11:53PM
    Mazari the Resurrected (AD)- PVP stamplar main
    Maz the Druid - PVP group stam warden
    - many others
    ✭✭✭✭
    Save ult for first crystal, way easier imo
  • Duvallkiin
    No one will judge you for quitting. But I honest advise is to stay in there. Mag Sorc is way easier than Magplar. But Magplar is actually kind it easy because of sweeps. If you are dying at crystals, then you are not avoiding meteors or are not damaging the crystals. Getting hit by a meteor will hard stun you. You will get hot again and RIP. Damaging crystals with seeeps will heal you. If you need a heal and aren’t near a crystal then use harnesss magicka. You got this it may take a while, but you will get the rythm of the crystals. But you will not get that lightning staff. So you will have to do it again. But the second time is soooo much easier. Good luck.
  • Duvallkiin
    Sorry I didn’t spell check and I’m five drinks into the night lol. Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My advice:
    • You should not use a single soul gem. Rez at wayshrine and ride back. It's about the same time (seriously, put a stopwatch how long that ghost phase and subsequent start lasts).
    • You should not use a single repair kit. Because when you rex at wayshrine, the merchant can repair your armor.
    • Volak Skoria has made the best players in ESO cry and doubt their confidence. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar too insecure to dare stop looking down their noses at the rest of us.
    • Just because Alcast burns down the Crystals in one go doesn't mean you have to. If the Soul Churn damage is too much, simply jump off, grab the defense sigil, drop your destro ult on the dumb Crematorium Guard, and then proceed back up and finish them off at your leisure.
    • VMA (or any game for that matter) should never detract from your loved ones or the enjoyment of other leisure pursuits. VMA is not going anywhere and you know you do not play as well when mad, so log off, take your wife to see a nice movie, and try again when you are in a better state of mind.
    • VMA is the same difficulty with every class because what kills people is unfamiliarity with the mechanics and lacking a sound strategy. People may say magicka sorcerer is the "easiest", but what they really mean is that they can get like maybe add a few thousand to their score. If you don't like or don't know magicka sorcerer, I can guarantee you it will be a lot harder than your magplar.
    • You don't need to cure your vampirism.
    • I do like Alcast's advice because he understands the value of having utility skills on his bar rather than pure DPS stuff that don't help you survive like Inner Light. What I'm not so sure about is having 9300 stamina for the final boss and not having a true heal. Alcast and I can do the final boss with 9300 stamina and no heal, but that fight is VERY stamina intensive ... especially after you kill of the Crystals (how often do you get knocked off because you lack the stamina to dodge roll, block, or keep up with the walls).
    • I also do not quite understand the fascination people have with double destro staffs. Well actually I do, because they give a higher DPS parse on a target dummy. But is VMA more akin to a DPS parse on a target dummy or, say, PvP where you have to tank, heal, and DPs all by yourself? PvP right? How many good magplars do you know that run around in Cyrodiil with a double destro build? I personally would run either a resto back bar (mutagen is a possibility, healing ward is better than breath of life, Light's Champion ultimate will save you against a Crematorium Guard, empowering Sweep will not) or, if you have access to Lich 1-handed weapon and shield, have that as a 5 piece, which will do wonders for your resource management, and allow you to slot something more useful than elemental drain (such as honor the dead).
    • I mean, a magplar can double destro and finish this ... but in my estimation, part of the reason you are risking the wrath of of wife is your running a build that's trying to squeeze out a little more DPS as the expense of survivability.
    • Use the 4 Power Sigils when and where you think you need the most help. If you dont have a destro ultimate for first Cremo guard, I would use the Health Sigil. If you have a desto ultimate, then I would use the health sigil before going upstairs to counter the soul Churn damage. I would save the shield sigil in case you get knocked down or miss a gold ghost on the last phase. I would grab the speed and power sigil once the Crystal Phase is done after you interrupt the boss.
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion if you can clear stage 5 boss, you have enough skill to clear the whole arena

On my first run I took the same amount of time to kill the final boss of vma as it took to even get there. But once you get the mechanics down, it's actually easier (in my opinion) than stage 5 boss

Just takes a lot of time and patience. And best to not even care about the weapons because you'll most likely get crap anyway, but the feeling of clearing it is so much better anyway

Then you'll say you'll never go there again, until a few days later, and then after a good couple of dozen tries you'll be going for flawless

A break can also be good though of course, it's not fun to lose for hours upon hours. Take a break, recharge, and come back to it another day. You'll get it :)
  • bhagwad
    bhagwad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice and help everyone! I guess I'll keep giving it a go and learning the mechanics.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont beat yourself up over it. Voriak remains the last boss in vMA uncleared for me as well. That stuff is infuriatingly difficult and dont let anyone tell you different. Theyll love to claim its easy and you need to git gud but you have to be a certain kind of person to clear it without migraines.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • bhagwad
    bhagwad
    ✭✭✭✭

My advice:
    • You should not use a single soul gem. Rez at wayshrine and ride back. It's about the same time (seriously, put a stopwatch how long that ghost phase and subsequent start lasts).

Rezzing at a wayshrine means I need to complete all rounds again. It would be great if I could directly jump to the boss after the wayshrine rez, but unfortunately no :(
  • Tactical32
    Tactical32
    ✭✭✭

My advice:

Rezzing at a wayshrine means I need to complete all rounds again. It would be great if I could directly jump to the boss after the wayshrine rez, but unfortunately no :(

You can rez at the wayshrine within the arena. You only need to start the round over if you actually leave Maelstrom.
  • Bosco916
    Bosco916
    ✭✭✭
    I mean, it could be worse...the Crematorium Guard could do one of them fireball knockback-stuns that the other Daedroths do like in Banished Cells (and that first Daedroth from the first arena stage)...thank the Eight that they don't!
    "How DARE you betray me, Tharn!
    Your suffering shall be LEGENDRY!"
    --The King of Worms
  • Electrone_Magnus
    Electrone_Magnus
    ✭✭✭
    I died 350 times on mag sorc(the so called 'easy mode') to him but now I have flawless on three characters. So don't give up eventually you will beat him. Use speed pots on the crystals so you avoid the meteors more easily.