The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Why can't women wear beards? This is sexist crap.

• czar
    czar
    ✭✭✭✭
    [Quoted post has been removed.]
    It is natural.
    Koensol wrote: »
    Why do people always keep repeating this argument in every single game? Fantasy =/= unrealistic. Stop trying to justify your personal wishes with flawed arguments. It is incredibly selfish.
    Beards on women are uncommon, not unrealistic.

Do people here ignore the several links about real women with beards, or do you just not read through the comments? Either way I think it's funny how many of you complain about feminists/sjw's getting offended about the lack of customization options in the game, when you so clearly get equally, if not more so, offended by the thought of facial hair on a feminine body.

I'm going to say "lady beard" whenever I feel like pissing people off from now on.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on November 17, 2017 6:14PM
    stam scrub
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a male, I'd like to wear scarlet begonias tucked into my curls, but ZOS wont let me either!
    PC-NA
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember being a little scared of my grandma - and that was just a little mustache basically! :*

Of course woman can have beards, I'm not sure if they are happy about it, most seem to shave - but there is wisdom in meeting your future mother-in-law ...

I just don't like this aggressive tone that seems to become more and more common with which people kinda like victimize themselves and try to make others look like aggressors. In that regard I don't understand why the header of this thread wasn't looked at by a mod for example - I think the whole conversation would have been a lot healthier from the get go.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • hydrocynus
    hydrocynus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear ZoS, this is utter [snip]. None of the "girly" hairstyles, makeup, or dresses are restricted to only female characters. Anyone who wants to equip that stuff on their male character is free to do so, and yet the beard ....

N1NjnVM.png

This isn't the first item like this. There are posts dating back years full of people complaining about restrictions to items like this. ZoS representatives have promised changes in the future on more than on occasion, and yet, no change. Why am I not surprised?

The items limited to a certain race are bad enough, but to restrict one gender and not the other is flat out sexist.

If i have to look a big orc-man in a wedding dress, I want to be able to put a damn beard on my female elf. Make it so!

[Edited to remove profanity]

Because Dwarves are extinct.
    My internet is invalid
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well since most females can't grow beards sounds like more rng to make that work..

Lol
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    TheMaster wrote: »
    There are still biological laws and probabilities, even if fictional.
    I take it you haven't used the Wabbajack yet?

"biological laws and probabilities" are based on the real world and have absolutely no place in a computer game that is based on magic.

Anything is possible and even probable in the TES universe, that includes facial hair for female characters.
    shades.gif

This is what is ridiculous about the beard thing. You literally can't make a fat woman in this or any other MMO that I'm aware of but you can always make a fat man. Being chubby is a lot more likely than a woman having the glitch in the system producing a beard. In my view the request for beards jumps the shark. There are a lot more important things they can be doing, even if a bearded lady or 'lizard boy' would be fun in your all-Carny guild.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

"biological laws and probabilities" are based on the real world and have absolutely no place in a computer game that is based on magic.

Anything is possible and even probable in the TES universe, that includes facial hair for female characters.
    shades.gif
    It is still nonsensical to take offense at the lack of beards on female characters. [snip] Even a fantasy universe has some consistency in what is deemed 'normal' and 'realistic' within said universe. Sure, maybe some demented sorcerer would be able to conjure up a beard on a female as some sort of curse, but calling the absence of that 'sexist crap' and taking offense that such an anomaly is not in the game?! [snip]

[Edit to remove bait.]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on November 17, 2017 7:59PM
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's NPCs in the game referencing ladies with beards, unless they're using "pretty" to describe a man. It always came across as a way of saying "you know, the woman with that feature that is extremely atypical even in our world of warring gods and ethereal transportation."
    Edited by Alpheu5 on November 17, 2017 6:45PM
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest to move this topic to either Lore or Crown Store & ESO Plus section of the forums . I don't think that topic about "women wear beards" is a "General Discussion"...
    btw. People need to know that they need to be careful with what they type. Anything can be either interpreted as "off-topic", (or something else) - thus their comments are getting removed.... removing comments about removing comments.. rly ?!
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on November 17, 2017 6:46PM
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zorvan wrote: »
    KramUzibra wrote: »
    Dear ZoS, this is utter [snip]. None of the "girly" hairstyles, makeup, or dresses are restricted to only female characters. Anyone who wants to equip that stuff on their male character is free to do so, and yet the beard ....

N1NjnVM.png

This isn't the first item like this. There are posts dating back years full of people complaining about restrictions to items like this. ZoS representatives have promised changes in the future on more than on occasion, and yet, no change. Why am I not surprised?

The items limited to a certain race are bad enough, but to restrict one gender and not the other is flat out sexist.

If i have to look a big orc-man in a wedding dress, I want to be able to put a damn beard on my female elf. Make it so!

Umm..its not lore friendly.

Still waiting to see where the lore says no beards for women ever.

Pretty sure fat male orcs in wedding dresses aren't lore friendly either yet we have those
    Beta tester November 2013
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can’t even believe we’re all seriously having this conversation.

shades.gif
    They do have a place. If they had no place, items like the Wabbajack and characters like Sheogorath would have no meaning or significance because everything would be crazy and make no sense at all times. The Bosmer believe that the world was once like this. Structure was brought to the world by Y’ffre. There are biological rules and laws of physics. If this was not the case, you wouldn’t be able to assign specific racial traits to any of the races, due to the fact that anyone could look any way at any time regardless of in-Universe biology. People and items that disobey these laws and extremely high probabilities are anomalies.

Once again, I’m not saying it shouldn’t be done just for the hell of it. But all these people acting like not including beards for females doesn’t make sense are being absurd. The devs gave their reason as to why they aren’t available, but they really didn’t need one at all. Bearded women are not a thing in the Elder Scrolls. Just because you can jump through hoops to force a concept doesn’t mean that concept belongs. It’s the same thing I said with “Broomstick mounts.”
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's funny, on my 2nd Skyrim play-through my character actually married her ...
    wub.gif
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

After removing another handful of posts, we must advise that everyone take a moment to review the rules. Many of the removed posts have been non-constructive, baiting, as well as trolling. Now let us please try to keep this conversation civil, as well as constructive, so that the thread itself can continue.

Thank you for your understanding!
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on November 17, 2017 8:22PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

N1NjnVM.png

A vast majority of females are unable to grow beards. So that is likely the reason for this restriction. I seriously doubt it was some conscious effort by ZoS to discriminate against females on the basis of their sex.

That being said: I really don't see the harm in allowing female characters to use these.
    Edited by Jeremy on November 17, 2017 9:55PM
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

After removing another handful of posts, we must advise that everyone take a moment to review the rules. Many of the removed posts have been non-constructive, baiting, as well as trolling. Now let us please try to keep this conversation civil, as well as constructive, so that the thread itself can continue.

Thank you for your understanding!

Well after extensively reading rules I have found that we have a slight problem here. This topic is about women wearing beards (or rather that beards beeing locked for them in eso).
    The forum rules specifically mention:
    Hate Speech: We take the use of hate speech very seriously in the official ESO community, and have a zero tolerance policy. Our definition of hate speech is prejudice or hateful comments, slurs, or statements that promote violence or intolerance toward others because of the following:
    - Race
    - Creed
    - Color
    - National Origin
    - Disability
    - Sexual Orientation
    - Lifestyle
    - Any other personally identifying factors
    (Not to mention other things like Bashing, Discussing Disciplinary Actions, Rude and Insulting Comments etc.)
    The problem is that it is almost impossible to discuss such a topic without mentioning gender, Lifestyle and even Sexual Orientation. The forum rules are written in a very clever way - almost everything can be interpreted as something that insults, or mocks someone feeling or opinions - regardless of intentions (whetever even it was an insult or not).
    Seeing how many people got their comments and opinions removed I am simply afraid to say anything else in that matter. Sorry but I just don't feel that this is forum thread is a safe space to do so. Whatever I can say may be interpreted as an insult, or mocking someone feeling or opinion. Thus I will not say anything else in that matter.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on November 17, 2017 10:03PM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC there's a quest in skywatch where Razum Dar turns you into a bearded elf. If you don't complete the quest immediately you can run around like that for awhile.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on November 17, 2017 10:04PM
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because Dwarf is not a playable race...yet. We all know the only dwarven females have facial hair.
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kirameku wrote: »
    [Snip]

Does a humble beard sound so very far fetched? This one she thinks not. A simple potion of beard growth could explain it. If a traveller wishes to look a certain way then why not? It should be the choice of the traveller to make yes.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

[Edited for quote]

This would make sense. Magic!

There are other lore precedents in the game, the ES loremaster mentioned once that Bosmer horns weren't naturally occurring, that they're grown magically, but that may have been the influence of his RP character at the time.
    Here's the link:
    http://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/General:Loremaster's_Episode_of_ESO-RP_ZOS_Interview

Morriel: ..., I'd like to ask about Bosmer antlers. You see, the last time this has been asked, as far as I understand, I had heard that Bosmer have- wear a lot of cosmetic - or prosthetic, I suppose - antlers on their brows, and a few have them, you know, magically grown from their skulls. My question is, I've seen about three stages of antler growth when - well, observing things - and it makes far more sense to me, at least, that they're related to the chaos times, or so, one of the gods, like Hircine or Y'ffre. I mean, yeah, they're [elves] with antlers on them, but where do these things come from?

Phrastus: Well, I've never been to Valenwood [Vay-len-wood], but I ... I'd caution you against assuming any single or simple answer involved with those reprobates the Wood Elves. Now, I daresay that most antlers worn by Bosmer are cosmetic and removable, but I myself have met a Treethane who had a magnificent 6-point rack growing right out of his cranium, and it was no prosthetic! Now, he told me that he'd had it magically grown upon assuming his title, as a symbol of his authority. The spells were sung -

Morriel: Hm!

Phrastus: Yes, sung, by a particular kind of aether-priest called a Namespinner, and she was able to perceive the Treethane's protonymic, and unweave it slightly and then chant a new suffix into it, thus actually changing the Treethane's physical form. Or so he told me, if you want to trust the word of a Bosmer.
  • KrishakPanettier
    KrishakPanettier
    ✭✭✭
    My wife created a male character and bought the long beard before it disappeared earlier this month just so she could wear a beard. Many women want to wear a beard on their female characters.

While we are at it, we need to be able to make short round dwarves with long beards (male and female).
    Krishak Kringle aka KrishakPanettier, Templar (PSN:KrishakPanettier)
    -- PS4 NA --

PVP, PVE, and Trader Guild Leader
    Guild:
    - Rent-A-Zerg Mercs AD (one-time large AD PVP Guild - now PVP, PVE, dungeons, trials, and crafting)
    - Shadow Exiles AD (merged into RAZ AD)
    - Recruiting all levels, for help all in-game content. Not just PVP anymore. Not just AD.

Online:
    - Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/RAZ.AD
    - Facebook: www.facebook.com/ShadowExiles
    - Twitter: @ShadowExiles
    - www: www.shadowexiles.com
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my ladies wears the wedding suit. So what's wrong with adding the beard? :smiley:

"Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • Iink
    Iink
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be all for female characters having beards, but I wouldn't go so far to say the lack of it as an option is sexist.
  • Malnutrition
    Malnutrition
    ✭✭✭
    My wife created a male character and bought the long beard before it disappeared earlier this month just so she could wear a beard. Many women want to wear a beard on their female characters.

While we are at it, we need to be able to make short round dwarves with long beards (male and female).

Opinion is not fact. Your opinion that many women want that is opposite my own opinion based on personal experience that says not many (none I've personally known and I've been playing MMOs since they became a thing) actually do. Opinions are not facts.
  • Malnutrition
    Malnutrition
    ✭✭✭
    Zorvan wrote: »
    Kirameku wrote: »
    Yes and also zos have to add the third gender because it's sexism not having it!.. (sarcasm)

Is everything okay with this world?

Come on, there is no woman in the whole world who wants to grow a beard...

Are you going to tell this young woman she is noone in the whole world?

http://indianexpress.com/article/good-news/this-woman-is-proud-of-her-beard-and-is-an-inspiration-for-all/

There are actually plenty more like her, too.

Bearded women are not even remotely common, so excuse me if I don't want to stand at the banker with 10 bearded women standing around me. That to me would take the game to a point beyond ridiculous. I've seen one single woman in person in my lifetime who had a slight beard. It was not attractive in any way shape or form and I don't care if she was born that way. If I'd been born with a ni-pple on my forehead you had better believe that it would be remedied through modern medicine. Yes, that is an opinion and it's mine.

There is absolutely no need for SJWs to pick up a bearded women's fight. Not to mention there's more important issues which need addressing in-game than why dudes can't run around with bearded ladies for the lulz.
    Edited by Malnutrition on November 18, 2017 4:11AM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why? This is not middle earth...
    tumblr_mvyj69kVop1rj2phto1_500.gif
    THIS!
    IS!
    TAMRIEEEEL!
    :p;):D

I also would be tempted to post more pictures of "Rat Queens" dwarven fighter-girl Violet shaving off her beard, but... considering her language... the forum mods would probably scold me if i did. Buy the comic yourself if you like! ;)
    Though she looks qoog without one as well:
    tumblr_ni9gb5T3iL1sfabsto1_500.jpg
    :)
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its because the game doesnt have a dwarf race.
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the jewellery is actually restricted to females only.
  • HypnoticMarmot
    HypnoticMarmot
    ✭✭✭

N1NjnVM.png

Does it make them racist since human/elf races cant wear some of the argonian/khajiit hairstyles, body markings, and facial markings?. Each race/gender has their own category of items the men happen to have the beard and if you haven't noticed you can wear male clothes on women char too my females always rock the Tux. :wink:
  • Jpk0012
    Jpk0012
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not sexist, its just reality. But, since ESO is not reality, sure why not?
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

there are genetic issues that can result in beard growth in women (because of the hormonal issues that are caused), but yeah it is rare.

honestly one could use this to argue both for and against beard cosmetics for women in ESO, saying either that Nirn might not have the same genetic issues as Earth (so no beards) or that Nirn might have a similar genetic issue that is even more common (so beards). Either of these could be written into the lore since iirc it technically isn't addressed yet
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on November 18, 2017 4:43PM
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

there are genetic issues that can result in beard growth in women (because of the hormonal issues that are caused), but yeah it is rare.

honestly one could use this to argue both for and against beard cosmetics for women in ESO, saying either that Nirn might not have the same genetic issues as Earth (so no beards) or that Nirn might have a similar genetic issue that is even more common (so beards). Either of these could be written into the lore since iirc it technically isn't addressed yet

Again if you are going the lore route, you have two schools of magic, one dedicated to making people see what you want them to see, and one dedicated to changing the rules of physics and biology. You don’t have to write anything in. There is a exsisting lore that would cover these things. You just have to include it in the game and let people do it.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on November 18, 2017 4:42PM
This discussion has been closed.