The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

IS THE HEAVY ARMOR NERF ENOUGH?

Shadzilla
Shadzilla
✭✭✭✭✭
Caps in title because it stands out, and so many people love it.
Edited by Shadzilla on October 17, 2017 1:11AM

IS THE HEAVY ARMOR NERF ENOUGH? 161 votes

Yes, explain.
49%
Solarikenvailjohn_ESODeadlyRecluseMojmirRudyardssewallb14_ESOWuffyCeruleiAzuryaWillhelmBlackValveaubrey.baconb16_ESOola.wilhelmssonb16_ESODredlordvrineDUTCH_REAPERKetarmishCastanamereSirCriticalkojouWing 80 votes
No, explain.
50%
Conduit0GilliamtherogueCavalryPKrfennell_ESOfastolfv_ESOkevlarto_ESOYolokin_SwagonbornInklingsrileynotzb14_ESOMadyUlfgardeKoensolAldruinreActor1N1ght_Raid96Fuxowhiteshadow711jppreub18_ESOerebozShadzillaookami007 81 votes
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seperate pvp from pve. Ruin separately please
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, explain.
    I am assuming that when you mean heavy armour nerf you are talking about the removal of wrath as well as the loss of shuffle.

In that case, I would say that it does look to be enough. The changes should cut down PVP burst by 1-2k damage, which in the end is pretty reasonable, as well as increasing the amount of damage that they take.

The changes also mean that snares become a strong counter to heavy builds, either forcing them to open themselves up by running a gap closer or by removing a strong burst heal from their arsenal.

Medium could still use some kind of buff in terms of defensive utility in PVP, but I think the changes to heavy are enough to move it out of the place it was in, and in a more healthy direction.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Careful. Any time a suggestion is given to the Devs, Wrobel finds something new to buff into insanity or nerf for no reason.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • SameMeteor26
    SameMeteor26
    ✭✭✭
    No, explain.
    I believe heavy armor should purely be about tankyness and health. There should be no damage buffs or resource regen buffs ( buffs as in Passives and some armor traits). You shouldn't be able to almost have the same resource management with heavy armor as you do with light and medium. Just my opinion though.
  • Shadzilla
    Shadzilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, explain.
    Banana wrote: »

Lol! I don't think anyone is upset with the permablocking, insane sustaining, disgusting burst damaging, hard to kill PVE players...
  • Riddari
    Riddari
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, explain.
    Can I get my blocking passive back? Really helps being a tank.
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    More caps topics please
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, explain.
    ZOS just slowly dragged its balls over DK's face this update, back and forth, right across the face, slowly, a few times.
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • Zvorgin
    Zvorgin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Riddari wrote: »
    Can I get my blocking passive back? Really helps being a tank.

It's still there, just in S&B now.
  • Shadzilla
    Shadzilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, explain.
    Woeler wrote: »
    More caps topics please
    Shadzilla wrote: »
    Caps in title because it stands out, and so many people love it.

I know right! Stands out so nicely! :D
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, explain.
    It's enough for now. This needed to happen awhile ago. HA in no way should increase damage done
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Shadzilla
    Shadzilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, explain.
    Wing wrote: »
    ZOS just slowly dragged its balls over DK's face this update, back and forth, right across the face, slowly, a few times.

Ironic. DK's did that exact same move to every other class in the entire game for like 2 years straight, starting in beta.
  • Malic
    Malic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, explain.
    Its plenty. The problem was med and light under performed.

Changing shuffle was huge, that should have happened patches ago and then buffed for people who use 5 med armor. That buff would have made med potent and would have given plenty of build options that would have negated, or lessened the need to nerf HA.

But, this is an MMO and the treadmill has to be in place. So the changes are almost needed to keep people grinding, I get it.
    Edited by Malic on October 17, 2017 1:47AM
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, explain.
    200 damage means nothing. we could use fundamental changes to blocking. we need cost stacking for perma-blocking.
    PS4 NA DC
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, explain.
    Perfect!
    PC EU
  • Urza1234
    Urza1234
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sixty5 wrote: »
    I am assuming that when you mean heavy armour nerf you are talking about the removal of wrath as well as the loss of shuffle.

In that case, I would say that it does look to be enough. The changes should cut down PVP burst by 1-2k damage, which in the end is pretty reasonable, as well as increasing the amount of damage that they take.

The changes also mean that snares become a strong counter to heavy builds, either forcing them to open themselves up by running a gap closer or by removing a strong burst heal from their arsenal.

Medium could still use some kind of buff in terms of defensive utility in PVP, but I think the changes to heavy are enough to move it out of the place it was in, and in a more healthy direction.

A small buff to Medium dodge roll perhaps?

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »
    None use heavy in PvE outside of tanks, except chest or helmet for undaunted + extra protection.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They shouldn’t of nerfed based on players who have a poor understanding of game mechanics
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, explain.
    Urza1234 wrote: »

A small buff to Medium dodge roll perhaps?

I had thought about a possible extension of the dodge frames with medium armour, but I'd rather not promote the endless dodgeroll playstyle

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, explain.
    NO, Im addicted, more nerfs!
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, explain.
    Yes. The removal of the ability to use shuffle along with the wrath passive removal was enough. BUT! What also need to happen is that sets like fury, and seventh need to have their damage toned way down. That was always the problem. Move in the direction of sets like knights errant which make sense to the sustain purpose of heavy. But that’s not a nerf to heavy armor skill/passives. So yes he nerf to heavy armor in that sense was enough. I also advocate bringing Black Rose back to its former glory.
    Edited by Vapirko on October 17, 2017 3:20AM
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, explain.
    Vapirko wrote: »
    Yes. The removal of the ability to use shuffle along with the wrath passive removal was enough. BUT! What also need to happen is that sets like fury, and seventh need to have their damage toned way down. That was always the problem. Move in the direction of sets like knights errant which make sense to the sustain purpose of heavy. But that’s not a nerf to heavy armor skill/passives. So yes he nerf to heavy armor in that sense was enough. I also advocate bringing Black Rose back to its former glory.

Yeah, Black Rose should be restored! Now that Constitution and other variables have been dealt with, the original 5pc would be appropriate.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Heavy Armor itself isn't the problem. The passives are very good but not OP. Just like Light Armor passives.

The problem is: the sets. Especially Ravager, Armor of Truth, Seventh Legion and Fury. How on earth are the first 2 even Heavy Armor? They should be medium. Seventh Legion and Fury are in line with the Brawler playstyle which fits the Heavy theme, but they still over the top. Why are they over the top? Because not a single medium armor set gives that much damage potential (not even close to be honest).

This leads us to the next problem. Why are all the medium armor sets, aside from Bone Pirate, terrible? There's literally only 1 Medium armor set that procs weapon damage: Senche. But its unusable by most builds since the buff duration is way too short. If there were medium armor sets like Ravager or Veiled Heritance, medium would already be much more popular.

This leads us to the last and biggest problem: medium armor passives suck. Sneak radius? Why? Replace this with a proper defensive passive.

Boom.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Urza1234
    Urza1234
    ✭✭✭✭

I had thought about a possible extension of the dodge frames with medium armour, but I'd rather not promote the endless dodgeroll playstyle

I'd also happily take either Phys Pen, Stam Cost Reduction, a buff to Evasion now that its Med only, or even idk some passive movement speed.

Maybe a passive chance to dodge projectiles instead would be nice.
    Edited by Urza1234 on October 17, 2017 4:22AM
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, explain.
    Izaki wrote: »
    Heavy Armor itself isn't the problem. The passives are very good but not OP. Just like Light Armor passives.

The problem is: the sets. Especially Ravager, Armor of Truth, Seventh Legion and Fury. How on earth are the first 2 even Heavy Armor? They should be medium. Seventh Legion and Fury are in line with the Brawler playstyle which fits the Heavy theme, but they still over the top. Why are they over the top? Because not a single medium armor set gives that much damage potential (not even close to be honest).

This leads us to the next problem. Why are all the medium armor sets, aside from Bone Pirate, terrible? There's literally only 1 Medium armor set that procs weapon damage: Senche. But its unusable by most builds since the buff duration is way too short. If there were medium armor sets like Ravager or Veiled Heritance, medium would already be much more popular.

This leads us to the last and biggest problem: medium armor passives suck. Sneak radius? Why? Replace this with a proper defensive passive.

Boom.

Been saying to just put blade cloak's 25% aoe mit in place of sneak radius. Would solve a lot of medium's issues in PvP, while helping weapons other than dual wield to be defensively viable in end game PvE.
    Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

Guides and other fun videos at https://youtube.com/c/gilliamtherogue
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, explain.

Boom.

Been saying to just put blade cloak's 25% aoe mit in place of sneak radius. Would solve a lot of medium's issues in PvP, while helping weapons other than dual wield to be defensively viable in end game PvE.

I almost feel like that could be a bit much of a buff.

It would expedite a lot of the annoyance of builds that stack shuffle along with spamming dodge roll by seriously mitigating one of the harder counters to that playstyle.

I will admit that it does seem like a better solution than doing something like adding dodge chance per piece or increasing dodge frames on roll.

Having played a round with blade cloak a bit myself, I can honestly say that 25% might be too much for just a passive buff, given how strong it feels.

• Urza1234
    Urza1234
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think we can all agree though that the improved Sneak Radius is a bit weak compared to any of the LA passives.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, explain.
    Nope. I'm glad Wrobel tried but it won't work lol.

That 200-300 weapon damage boost is not what makes Heavy Armor so strong. Being able to survive the damage of a big burst and heal up quicker makes it so using Heavy Armor will remain a must. You can't do that with other armors. Much of the damage taken is too much for anything but Heavy Armor to survive through.

If you dont agree that's totally fine, but you'll see us having this same conversation about Heavy Armor being too strong again next patch.

Then again that would be the point of Heavy Armor..... this brings us to a situation where Medium Armor and possibly even Light Armor need buffs, right? I just don't even want to think about this issue anymore tbh. PvP is so screwed atm balance-wise that I can't even begin to discuss the direction they should take anymore. In the past, it would have been easy to fix balance, but bad decisions have scarred ESO for over a year now. They've dug the hole so deep that fixing it now is almost impossible. So many playstyles are completely dead and the PvP population is so low is makes me sad to think about it.

All I can truly ask for is to fix game performance and NOT screw up PvE like what they have done to PvP.
    Edited by Vaoh on October 17, 2017 4:39AM
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, explain.

Boom.

I almost feel like that could be a bit much of a buff.

It would expedite a lot of the annoyance of builds that stack shuffle along with spamming dodge roll by seriously mitigating one of the harder counters to that playstyle.

I will admit that it does seem like a better solution than doing something like adding dodge chance per piece or increasing dodge frames on roll.

Having played a round with blade cloak a bit myself, I can honestly say that 25% might be too much for just a passive buff, given how strong it feels.

Passive dodge chance should just go away. There is no skilled interaction in passively negating an attack due to chance.

I'm also not against tethering the 25% aoe damage mit to a reward mechanic, such as actively avoiding damage for short periods of time (to fit into dodge roll play).
    - I.e; ~Per Piece of Medium Armor Worn~ : Gain 4% damage mitigation against Area of Effect attacks if you have not taken damage in the last 3(?) seconds, for 3(?) seconds. If you did not take damage during the buff's duration, this effect is refreshed.

This helps medium armor builds feel rewarded for actually dodging damage and utilizing the playstyle/lore of medium properly; mobility and grace. It also gives a grace period where if you are attacked by an undodgeable attack, you have a short duration in which you retain some of your mitigation, but also has a set limit where a player who is specialized to counter you can do so. Obviously values are up to balance, but it would help medium armor have a unique ability to stand out defensively like the other two armors, and also help decision making vs just going 5-1-1, or going all 7 medium.

But alas, this is about heavy armor. I fear I have derailed the thread with my Stamina bias too long :'(
    Edited by Gilliamtherogue on October 17, 2017 4:41AM
    Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

Guides and other fun videos at https://youtube.com/c/gilliamtherogue
  • Urza1234
    Urza1234
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think based on the PVP Stam community being considerably more upset than, for instance, Sorc shield spammers, the problem is that Med doesnt feel tanky enough for a melee playstyle.

I personally think it would be neat if they received a small base chance to dodge projectiles, though dodge frames make all dodge mechanics somewhat iffy to balance.
    Perhaps then Med simply doesnt receive enough baseline Resists, perhaps both the Med and Heavy armor classes would feel more appropriate if their base resists were tuned up a bit.