The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Random dungeons not random

krachall
krachall
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm trying to level a new character and running randoms. The last thing I want to run with a new character in a PUG is a DLC dungeon. But there are only 6 so my odds of getting a DLC dungeon are 20%. I'm OK with that. And I actually don't mind ICP, Bloodroot Forge and Faulkreath Hold. So there are only 3 DLC dungeons I don't want to run, WGT, Cradle of Shadows, Mazzatun.

My last 8 have been:

WGT
WGT
WGT
CoS
WGT
COS
Mazzatun
Mazzatun

Is "random" in the title not meant to indicate "random?"
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People may be queuing for those to farm gear. I very rarely select all dungeons when queue. I mostly just stick with whatever the pledges are that day and don't worry about the others.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    With six dlc dungeons, your odds are actually 50% at level ten of getting a DLC dungeon. Base game dungeons carry an outdated level requirement (waaaaay back before 1tamriel, there were levels associated to more than gear), so you get the first three (stories I and II), and all DLC dungeons until level 14 or 17 (been too long to remember, but iirc it should be 17, 24, 31, 38, and just VoM at 45 based on the zone each dungeon is located in).
  • sdtlc
    sdtlc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "old" Dungeons have a level restriction on the, what looks them out of the rng-Pool, this makes the pool chance for the dlc dungeons.
    Edited by sdtlc on October 11, 2017 5:34AM
    Die Qualität verhält sich nicht zwingend proportional zur Masse...

Meisterangler vor dem perfekten Rogen...
    +Kaiserstadt, Wrothgar, Hew's Fluch, Goldküste, Vvardenfell, Stadt der Uhrwerke, Sommersend, Artaeum, Trübmoor, Elsweyr (nördliches & südliches), Graumoor, Reik, Dunkelforst

[PC][DC]Zunft der Helden[PvX]
    Feierabendgilde mit Ambitionen
  • grkkll
    grkkll
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see a select all tick box and then the facility to deselect individual dungeons, the deselect is already there
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought 3 nIcP in an row was weird, "you go directly to jail" I said in chat yesterday.
    First random normal + pledge on templar: IcP, then later I wanted to test my new stamblade in dungeon IcP, yesterday only the stamblade IcP again.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever i feel like doing pledges, i tick vet non-dlc and normal dlc dungeons.

Sometimes, i try to find out sth like "can mazzatun motifs drop in normal?". The day it was pledge i took it on 7 of my toons and than pugged them on the same and the following days.

I carried a lot of level 10 ~20s thru that place who somehow all looked like they had hoped for a quick fungal 1 xD

I would assume, when u pug random normal u have a ~95% chance to get that days dlc-pledge and a 50% chance to get the previous days dlc-pledge.

Workaround: Find someone who doesnt have eso+ and didnt buy the dlcs. Make it lead, let it q.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah with more and more DLC dungeons getting added to the pool, I think it's really about time ZOS introduced some option of excluding them, especially for low-level players.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • CalydorEstalon
    CalydorEstalon
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about Mazzatun and CoS, but WGT is where Spellpower Cure drops, so pretty much anyone gearing a healer is going to select that deliberately eventually.
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've confused "even distribution" with random.

Your results are random. Your expectations are even distribution.

---

It also depends what other people are queuing for, it doesn't select a "random" dungeon for you and then waits until there is a group to fit you in. It fits you into the first group it can provided you are first in queue. So in a way you are right, it's not random.

Edited by Taylor_MB on October 11, 2017 10:24AM
    PvP Defensive Set Comparison
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
    - build and gamplay!
    ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
    - build and gamplay!
    Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The good news is, 'Specific' actually is specific.

Use the other option if you want to exclude dungeons from your list. You'll get more bang for your buck anyway, as you'll get to complete the quests and get the skill points - something that won't happen when you repeat the dungeons via random.

RDF, first and foremost, is simply looking for an open slot that needs filling, so on pledge days, you're going to get pulled in pledge related dungeons half way through a lot more often. If by some off chance there are no blanks in existing groups, that's when it makes a new group and actually randomizes the selection.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • SpearDusk
    SpearDusk
    ✭✭✭
    I remember I got Mazzatun as the first ever random dungeon for my lvl 11 warden healer with lvl 1 training gear. Thankfully we managed it lol
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt that asking for a random dungeon means that they actually randomly pick a dungeon in every case.

When you queue for a random dungeon, what ZOS should be thinking is that you don't care what dungeon you get. If there are people queuing for WGT, and you happen along with an "I don't care", your "random" dungeon will be WGT because they need someone for WGT. Since it might be a long wait for someone to come along requesting the same specific dungeons, if I were writing this, this is how I would do it.

I would imagine that the only time your dungeon is actually random is when you are grouped with 3 others who also picked "random dungeon".
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lordrichter: Yes, that is exactly how also I suppose it's being handled. So if many low-level players are in the queue, your chance to get a DLC dungeon becomes higher and higher.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • MasterLenman
    MasterLenman
    ✭✭✭✭
    The good news is, 'Specific' actually is specific.

Use the other option if you want to exclude dungeons from your list. You'll get more bang for your buck anyway, as you'll get to complete the quests and get the skill points - something that won't happen when you repeat the dungeons via random.

RDF, first and foremost, is simply looking for an open slot that needs filling, so on pledge days, you're going to get pulled in pledge related dungeons half way through a lot more often. If by some off chance there are no blanks in existing groups, that's when it makes a new group and actually randomizes the selection.

+insightful, that's how the selection works.
    The problem is that you miss out on the large daily XP bonus and undaunted reward. After collecting the skill points, that's the main reason I want to run random dungeons on new chars.

There have been so many threads on this topic, I think there was a new one every three days for the past weeks. The main request is to add an "exclude DLC dungeons" option for the daily random. And nothing ever happens. So don't get your hopes up.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem is that you miss out on the large daily XP bonus and undaunted reward. After collecting the skill points, that's the main reason I want to run random dungeons on new chars.
    @MasterLenman , understandable. You have to weigh the odds as to which one is worth more to you at that point, and bear in mind, if your group is unable to complete, there are no bonus rewards to be had.

Regarding the daily, you can get the same bonus XP from norm and the mailed reward is simply 4 less soul gems and one tier lower quality item. If it's anything but jewelry, you're looking at a max of 2400g upgrade cost.

EDIT: typo

Edited by Merlin13KAGL on October 11, 2017 11:07AM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taylor_MB wrote: »
    You've confused "even distribution" with random.

Your results are random. Your expectations are even distribution.

---

It also depends what other people are queuing for, it doesn't select a "random" dungeon for you and then waits until there is a group to fit you in. It fits you into the first group it can provided you are first in queue. So in a way you are right, it's not random.
    Yes, for one plenty of players do the standard dungeons in vet but the dlc in normal, so during pledge you get more people wanting the normal dlc.
    Now finaly for an final insult for the low level player, the only pledge dungeon he might get into is the dlc one,
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are queuing into what has been queued for. If all four people have selected random, it will be random. But if you have some folks selecting a specific dungeon, random queues will be lassoed into the specific queues. This is probably what is happening to you. You are getting lassoed into dungeon chains where you are queuing at the same time someone is doing a specific queue to grind for gear drops.
    Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • krachall
    krachall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff. Thanks for the insight. Now that I've got your attention, how about another question on randomization?

Monster shoulder sets. Are they evenly distributed? I'm asking because with 54 keys used in Urgalag's chest, I've only seen 3 Velidreth's shoulders. I've pulled 8-12 of the other 5 items.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    krachall wrote: »
    Good stuff. Thanks for the insight. Now that I've got your attention, how about another question on randomization?

Monster shoulder sets. Are they evenly distributed? I'm asking because with 54 keys used in Urgalag's chest, I've only seen 3 Velidreth's shoulders. I've pulled 8-12 of the other 5 items.

Here is what I have noticed about the Keys. If you pull say, a Molag Kena on the first key, your going to pull more Molag Kena's if you use more keys right away. So, if I get a good choice the first time, I use up 3 or 4 keys or until I see one I don't want. If I get a shoulder I don't want or need, I walk away from the chests and come back hours later or the next day.

It has not always been this way, with the stream of the same Monster Sets, but recently this is the way it works.

Oh, and your dungeon selection results, I get the same distrubution, with an annoying frequency of City of Ash II which in my opinion is more of a nightmare with Pugs than any DLC dungeon. And don't get me started on Vet CoA II, that one is why I don't ever pick "Random Veteran Dungeon" because it's either than, or vWGT more often than the DLC's.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wgt,is no problem on normal vet is a challenge if peeps don't know mechanics. We have all been there. I have been kicked with out warning. I keep going back in been to the final boss a few times now. I'm not the one getting,kicked anymore but its hard to,get just 4 peeps.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @krachall

Unfortunately, at level 10 your chances of getting a DLC dungeon if you own ESO+ or the DLCs is not 20%. Its 50%.

Why? Because ZOS did not do away with the level gates on the Dungeon GroupFinder that existed before One Tamriel, so normal dungeons unlock by zone starting at level 10 and unlocking every 7 levels afterward. As for the DLCs, ZOS believes you should have access to all the content you paid for as soon as you can play it.

This thread has a good list of the level gates: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/296685/increase-the-minimum-level-to-queue-for-the-dlc-dungeons

I'll quote the most relevant portion:
    code65536 wrote: »
    Enodoc wrote: »
    You need to be level 38 to queue for the zone-5 dungeons. And if I recall correctly, you need to be level 45 to queue for Vaults of Madness.
    Is that still true? I was assuming (but haven't checked yet) that One Tamriel has removed the level restriction on queuing.
    Yes, it is.
    • Zone 1 dungeons: level 10
    • Zone 2 dungeons: level 17
    • Zone 3 dungeons: level 24
    • Zone 4 dungeons: level 31
    • Zone 5 dungeons: level 38
    • Vaults of Madness: level 45

The level gate goes up in increments of 7. The storyline 2 dungeons share the same level gate as their storyline 1 counterpart. I propose that the DLC dungeons share the same level gate as Vaults.

Juhasow wrote: »
    With One Tamriel You can go any dungeon on any level.
    Yes, you can... if you wayshrine or walk into the dungeon normally. We're talking about the Group Finder's level gate. If people want to do a dungeon at level 3, they can--it'll just be a more deliberate action by the player.

So at level 10, your options for a "Random" Normal Dungeon is a random selection between: Fungal Grotto 1 & 2, Spindleclutch 1&2, Banished Cells 1&2, and all 6 DLC dungeons.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @krachall

Unfortunately, at level 10 your chances of getting a DLC dungeon if you own ESO+ or the DLCs is not 20%. Its 50%.

Why? Because ZOS did not do away with the level gates on the Dungeon GroupFinder that existed before One Tamriel, so normal dungeons unlock by zone starting at level 10 and unlocking every 7 levels afterward. As for the DLCs, ZOS believes you should have access to all the content you paid for as soon as you can play it.

This thread has a good list of the level gates: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/296685/increase-the-minimum-level-to-queue-for-the-dlc-dungeons

I'll quote the most relevant portion:
    Enodoc wrote: »
    You need to be level 38 to queue for the zone-5 dungeons. And if I recall correctly, you need to be level 45 to queue for Vaults of Madness.
    Is that still true? I was assuming (but haven't checked yet) that One Tamriel has removed the level restriction on queuing.
    Yes, it is.
    • Zone 1 dungeons: level 10
    • Zone 2 dungeons: level 17
    • Zone 3 dungeons: level 24
    • Zone 4 dungeons: level 31
    • Zone 5 dungeons: level 38
    • Vaults of Madness: level 45

The level gate goes up in increments of 7. The storyline 2 dungeons share the same level gate as their storyline 1 counterpart. I propose that the DLC dungeons share the same level gate as Vaults.

Juhasow wrote: »
    With One Tamriel You can go any dungeon on any level.
    Yes, you can... if you wayshrine or walk into the dungeon normally. We're talking about the Group Finder's level gate. If people want to do a dungeon at level 3, they can--it'll just be a more deliberate action by the player.

So at level 10, your options for a "Random" Normal Dungeon is a random selection between: Fungal Grotto 1 & 2, Spindleclutch 1&2, Banished Cells 1&2, and all 6 DLC dungeons.
    Yes, and this make no sense at all, how hard could it be to change it to: lvl 10 all 1 dungeons, 20 unumbered ones, 30 2 dungeons 40 dlc. This is for random normal. Remove restrictions for doing an specific dungeon at least in an formed group so an 45 and an 10 could queue for nIcP, but queuing for random they would just get 1 dungeons.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Yes, and this make no sense at all, how hard could it be to change it to: lvl 10 all 1 dungeons, 20 unumbered ones, 30 2 dungeons 40 dlc. This is for random normal. Remove restrictions for doing an specific dungeon at least in an formed group so an 45 and an 10 could queue for nIcP, but queuing for random they would just get 1 dungeons.

Oh, I agree! I think that ZOS needs to rethink the difficulty of the normal dungeons for level requirements. Fungal Grotto 1 and Fungal Grotto 2 might be the same zone but they are worlds apart in terms of difficulty because of the mechanics. However, I don't expect ZOS to change the level requirements for the DLCs because I think the idea of people getting the content they paid for makes too much sense.

The only problem is that I remember the last time(s) ZOS tired to "fix" the groupfinder and it wasn't pretty. Given that this code predates One Tamriel, I'm not sure I trust them to get it right.