The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

For those of you who feel the drop rate is bad with crown crates: 225 crown crates later...

• ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kildayen wrote: »
    TheMaster wrote: »
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    And here comes the troll army ....
    "Waaahhh gambling addiction!"
    "Waaahhh you deserve what you get!"
    Waaaahhh a fool and his money!"
    "Waaahhh people like you are what's wrong with MMOs!"
    "Waaaahhhh gamblecrates!"

There, did I do good? :D

By the way, I'm not saying people have to like the crates. I've just seen a lot of people being bullied about them on this forum. I don't *love* the crates, myself (wish they just put it all in the crown store instead), but I'm strongly against people being bullied just because they bought crates.

[Snip]

[Snip]
    [Snip]

Once crowns were purchased the money was thrown away regardless how the crowns were spent. The crowns are not a currency just coupons.
    That’s not accurate. By definition, they’re a form of currency. Now he did traded real-life currency for virtual currency, which some may consider bad all on its own. But I wasn’t talking about that. If he doesn’t mind wasting all his crowns, that’s on him. But I can’t comprehend why someone in their right mind would wait for a sale to buy all these crowns in bulk and then waste them all for literally no reason, lmao. It’s spending just for the sake of spending.

Let me teach you math.

Normal price:
    14 x $39.99 = $559.86

Sale price:
    14 x $23.99 = $335.86

$559.86 - $335.86 = $224.00

That is $224.00 I can use on something else because I saved money by purchasing crowns on sale. If you can’t comprehend why someone would rather waste $335.86 instead of $559.86, you will probably never get to the point in life where you will have extra money to spend (waste) on things. It really isn’t as difficult as you are making it out to be. Stop worrying about me so much and worry about more important things.
    I’m not worrying about you; I was responding to a comment directed at me. My point was that you’re wasting all of them on crates for items you don’t want anyway, so why buy them at all? Buying in bulk during a sale is a good deal for someone that spends crowns very often. Since you don’t, it’s not a good deal for you. It leaves you doing things like this, where you consistently have more than you know what to do with and just spend them for the sake of it.

But, as I said earlier, that’s your business. I’ll leave you to it.

[Edited for quotes]
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on September 30, 2017 4:29PM
  • Thunderknuckles
    Thunderknuckles
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP, I don't mean to be too personal, but you spent roughly $750.00 on crown crates? SWTOR did this very thing where they dropped the chance of getting rare items to, literally, almost 0%. Astonishingly, people still buy those things up even though they get cargo ship loads of actual garbage.

It’s an ok question to ask. I actually spent about $330. During the last crown sale you could purchase 5500 crowns for 23.99. I purchased more than that amount of crowns, but just showing you the math for the crown crates. I also have crowns from subscribing every month.

Ahhh, gotcha. I had forgotten about the sale. I spent a ridiculous amount of money (for me, about 75 U.S. dollars) with that other game I mentioned and truthfully got almost nothing but junk from it. Only four or five items would sell on their auction system, and that for a pittance. I decided never to do that again.

Edited to mention that it's a system very similar to the crown crate thing. And it definitely is designed only to get your money with almost no reward in return.
    Edited by Thunderknuckles on September 30, 2017 1:02AM
  • Kildayen
    Kildayen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For all of you that think people with addictions deserve what they get and must be stupid something.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/12/losing-it-all/505814/

Enjoy.

That was a good read. Thanks for sharing.
  • Arizona_Steve
    Arizona_Steve
    ✭✭✭✭
    For all of you that think people with addictions deserve what they get and must be stupid something.

Enjoy.

Good read. And yes, I read all of it.
    Wannabe Thalmor - Altmer MagSorc
  • Myyth
    Myyth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WmN5lqP.jpg
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for the money spent.

Hey, it pays people whom create videogames a paycheck.

If that fact alone doesn't amaze you, you should really think about it again.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Ajaxduo
    Ajaxduo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it is how they say...a fool and their money are soon parted ;) I just save up sub crowns and buy them, simple. Not getting anything more out of me for poor design.
    - - -
    GM of Verum Aeternus, PC EU
    - - -
  • Chronicburn
    Chronicburn
    ✭✭✭✭
    The whole system is a terrible way to treat loyal paying customers

#corporategreed
  • Erris
    Erris
    ✭✭✭
    Good news is now you probably have a lifetime supply of garish lip tints!

2fe3ad6bcf0c08018fbfbc527f4e82de.png

*Guaranteed to remove other makeup or tattoos!
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow that's too many crates in my book
  • Arbit
    Arbit
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought 30 crates, all I wanted was a mount, now all I want is my crowns back...
    Argonian Master Race
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoy.
    Oh Holy Crap stop. People don't have "addictions" just because they buy crown crates, even if it's a lot of them. Stop that stupid nonsense.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dunno i have bought 4x15 crowns and while i havent gotten one of those 3 special mounts i have
    2 skeletal mount
    1 other mount
    3 pets
    all masks
    all tatoos
    all costumes

none of the crafting tough

so while its not AMAZING drop rate i can't complain too much i guess
  • Chronicburn
    Chronicburn
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you buy that many crates with RL $ and don't know if you are gonna win or lose ... that's the same as playing slots ... if you can't stop it's gambling addiction. If you are just gambling money you had set aside for entertainment anyway it's a harmless addiction. If you spent the rent then you have a problem
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arbit wrote: »
    I bought 30 crates, all I wanted was a mount, now all I want is my crowns back...

wish i could sell you mine. we need the ability to sell or trade c/s winnings and gear imh.

yeah, i know, it'd be messy and zo$ will never do it because players will continue playing to get another shot at what they want. :/
  • MakoFore
    MakoFore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    man i d give u a mount if i could. a pack of 15 should guarantee u a mount or at least enough to buy a mount afterwards. instead u need to spend roughly 100 bucks to buy a fAKE virtual mount. yes this is when ZOS sold out and lost its focus and loyal base. the focused on selling junk and making junk rather than providing new content
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Myyth wrote: »
    WmN5lqP.jpg

bravo...bravo...
    Edited by geonsocal on September 30, 2017 8:14AM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It would be very interesting to see what proportion of their revenue comes from crates vs crown store.
    If crown store is higher then it suggests they are loosing out by putting so many items behind these rng gates.
    If crates are higher then we will probably see more and more stuff going into crates and just crap appearing each month in crown store.... oh wait, that sounds familiar!
    People need to vote with their money.
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • SlayerSyrena
    SlayerSyrena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What level character did you use to open the crates?

(Call me crazy, but I -always- get mounts when I open my crates on my level 10-19 characters ...)
    PC/NA, Level 50 * Current Champion Points: 1600+
    Cyndril - Bosmer Vampire Nightblade - Dual Wield Blades and Bow

***Member of the closed early beta group, The Psijic Order***
    Guest on first ESO Live
    My ESO fan art and comics
  • jeevin
    jeevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Algorithms + rng = fleeced
    Rng is designed to reward you as little as possible and encourage you to play/buy/spend more. Pokie machines, mmos, ftp games, random crates all do this. You gave 225 crates for the rng to gobble and gobble it did....
    Edited by jeevin on September 30, 2017 9:27AM
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Enjoy.
    For many gambling addicts, the zone itself becomes more desirable even than winning. Schüll describes it as “a state of ongoing, undiminished possibility that came to trump the finite reward of a win.” The zone provides an escape from life’s daily troubles, from past trauma, and even from the gambling debt accumulating with each spin. Players have gone for 14, 15, 16 hours or more playing continuously. They have become so absorbed in the machines that they left their young children unattended in cars, wet themselves without noticing, and neglected to eat for hours.

mhm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD69PAIqiYo

"What's more addictive than an MMORPG!?!?!"
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite part of this forum is people who can't afford or don't want to spend on crown crates get so angry over those that do. Every one of your tears is another crate for me.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    These crates are a diminishing return, doesn't matter what company uses them they fade in time even if they never go away

Now let's assume they have done nothing to the drop rates... So, I'm currently walking around belkarth in Craglorn on pc Europe, guild mates are in every zone Capitol including vardenfell... When the crates came out we did the same thing for the storm mounts and the new life ones, results are below. I think it's safe to say that over all the absolute backside has fallen out of these things B)

Averaged over an hour then divide by sixty for a rough minute by minute total, each taken on its respective opening weekend

Storm mounts 27
    New Life 17
    Dwemer. 3
    Reaper. 2

At least it's Plateauing out :D
    Edited by Integral1900 on September 30, 2017 10:50AM
  • VizigothAlaric
    VizigothAlaric
    ✭✭✭
    If you spend another 75k crowns they can buy another dedicated server thx to u
    Vizi - PC EU
  • Nighn_9
    Nighn_9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for keeping the game alive :)
    NA / PC
    November Beta 2013
    WEBSITE LINK MY TWITCH
    WEBSITE LINK MY YOUTUBE
  • SquareSausage
    SquareSausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    And here comes the troll army ....
    "Waaahhh gambling addiction!"
    "Waaahhh you deserve what you get!"
    Waaaahhh a fool and his money!"
    "Waaahhh people like you are what's wrong with MMOs!"
    "Waaaahhhh gamblecrates!"

There, did I do good? :D

By the way, I'm not saying people have to like the crates. I've just seen a lot of people being bullied about them on this forum. I don't *love* the crates, myself (wish they just put it all in the crown store instead), but I'm strongly against people being bullied just because they bought crates.

tory
    Breakfast King
    PS4 EU
  • ProfessorKittyhawk
    ProfessorKittyhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a skeleton wolf on my first crate of the 15 I bought the day they they were made available. In the past I'd get nothing but rubbish from a whole set of 15. That's the luck of the draw.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blanco wrote: »
    Blanco wrote: »
    Sigh.

This just makes me more guilty that I got the Ice Dragur Senche mount in one of my free crates, since I think they're over-the-top and silly looking but plainly some people really, really wanted one.

The odds of this happening are less than 1%.

Always baffled how people get ultra rare apex mounts in only a few openings, and judging off the forums, it seems that a fair amount do?

Random is random that way.

There is no guarantee that the RNG that they use is really random, though. I have long suspected that they have caps on the random reward, or some similar machanism that changes the drop rate if high tier items are being handed out too much. For some reason, it always seems like the drop rate is much higher in the first week or so after release, and then drops off.

No math or numbers to back that up. though. Just always feels that way.

Uhh that's basically what I'm suggesting.

It's very fishy to me that he can get so lucky with the mount drop, but I am not fully informed on the inner workings of the crate system..

It's not fishy. I also got the plague husk horse in my 3 free crates. Didn't even want it, still don't want it and won't use it.

Not only are we not fully informed on the inner workings of the crate system, but also nothing tells us that it's fair. ZOS is 100% able to use algorithms that adapt to our individual player profiles, crowns purchases and spendings, and the current state of our collectible inventory, and whatever else. And even if we KNEW more about it - they can stealth change it anytime.
    At least when you buy a state lottery ticket, there are measures taken to ensure the results are truly random. No such guarantee here at all.

Maybe I got the APEX reward to encourage me to buy crates - since I never buy any ? Who knows ? We will never know. Ever.

• bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    RNG hates you man. I got 2 in my 3 free crates!

i h8 u so much right now! ;)
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But I can’t comprehend why someone in their right mind would wait for a sale to buy all these crowns in bulk and then waste them all for literally no reason, lmao. It’s spending just for the sake of spending.

Some people enjoy spending. Just for the sake of it. Happens to people who are not wealthy, too. It's kinda sick, but we all have our weaknesses, I guess.
    I'm happy to not have that weakness towards spending, since there's so much to be achieved with (even little) money if you use it carefully.

(That being said, I believe our friend here is trolling - but it's just my opinion).

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on September 30, 2017 3:07PM