The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Any suggestion to make ESO as popular as LOL or DOTA ? (Battle Grounds specificaly)

• Rainwhisper
    Rainwhisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CavalryPK wrote: »
    Do you have helpful suggestion for ZOS to make ESO pvp more more fun ? DOTA or LOL level ? I would love Zenimax to do one of those crazy pvp championships that the winner takes 4 million dollars!

That's an entirely different genre of game, with an entirely different community. This is a persistent-world RPG.

This is like asking if there are ways to make a Volkswagen Westie more like a a Lotus Esprit.
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do you have helpful suggestion for ZOS to make ESO pvp more more fun ? DOTA or LOL level ? I would love Zenimax to do one of those crazy pvp championships that the winner takes 4 million dollars!

That's an entirely different genre of game, with an entirely different community. This is a persistent-world RPG.

This is like asking if there are ways to make a Volkswagen Westie more like a a Lotus Esprit.

He's not asking ZOS to overhaul the game to resemble a MOBA.

I think the point of this thread is simply looking for suggestions to make battlegrounds a lot more fun and popular.
  • CavalryPK
    CavalryPK
    ✭✭✭✭✭

He's not asking ZOS to overhaul the game to resemble a MOBA.

I think the point of this thread is simply looking for suggestions to make battlegrounds a lot more fun and popular.

Thank you lolz.
    THE CAVELRY HAS ARRIVED! Cav is a professional magblade, (in his not so professional opinion). He is immortal and is fighting for the Pact since 2E 572, amidst the turmoil of the Second Akaviri Invasion. He protects the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.

Check out his PVP YouTube channel !

https://youtube.com/TheCavalryPK
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Current megaservers system wont success
    Eso isnt a global mmo , most of non us / eu region players are suffering with huge lag issues
    Unlike uo , eq , wow

Can u feel it?u start to freeze once u enter cyrodiil
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    5.8k pos 4 turd here explaining why ESO can't accomplish what you're asking.

Unlike other popular games, ESO does not demand skill as it's primary method of creating player brackets. Because there is no need for a high skill cap in ESO, most competetive gamers do not find themselves in a position to get any return for the efforts. Because there is no return on their time, competetive gamers don't play ESO. Since competetive gamers don't play ESO, there is very little opportunity for outside fans to ever tune in to watch ESO gamers.

The importance put onto individual player skill in ESO is incredibly low, because MMOs are designed to work not for the average player, but the average person. A group of casuals will be somewhat competetive and have fun competing against elite players in ESO because being good at ESO is a very small metric in deciding who wins/loses.

ESO has no chance to ever be as large as a game like DOTA or LOL. It doesn't command me to have an exceptional skill, and because of that there is no reason to be anything but casual in ESO.
    Edited by usmcjdking on August 17, 2017 12:27AM
  • br0steen
    br0steen
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mondini wrote: »
    Any suggestion to make ESO as popular as LOL or DOTA?

Give it to a different company

This guy knows
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »
    Fuxo wrote: »
    ZOS could create a BG map similar to DOTA with similar mechanics. Just a thought :smile:

This!

and it will still not make ESO as popular as DOTA. do you know why? becasue in order to be successful in ESO in battlegrounds - you need to level up, you need to level up your champion points, you need to farm gear, you need to level various skills and skill lines. in order to be successful on a dota map? you need to.. install the game and log in. ok, a little bit of figuring out of how to actualy play your character of choice, but nowhere NEAR the time investment of an MMO.

the reason DOTA, LOL etc are so popular? is because at the core, they are as casual friendly as candy crush. I don't know about you, but even as a dirty dirty casual, I would rather my mmo was NOT THAT casual

Yeah, this is effectively correct.

So, what you need to do is create separate PvP character slots. Those characters do not have a level. Do not have access to gear from PvE content. And do not use consumables.

They do not use normal classes, instead having predesigned builds, with some limited customization.

You do away with the third team. Seriously, it's a neat idea, but all it does is distract the teams from one another.

Then, assuming your prebaked PvP classes are roughly balanced against one another, you can start talking about hitting it big.

You cannot graft a competitive scene onto a game where players need to spend hundreds of hours engaged in non-competitive activities, before you can actually turn around and start talking about the competitive scene. The buy-in is way too high.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ranked option is the only feature I miss in BGs.
    BGs are currently only for fun mode, how about adding some competition to them? (No, BG leaderboards aren't competitive in case you ask)
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Split PvE and PvP up
    Hire more people to work on the PvP team
    Rework skills for both PvE and PvP, buffs too and ultimate

will they do this, doubt it. Zos want to keep ESO feeling like an easier style game, I believe they even stated they dont consider themselves the typical MMO anymore, they've moved on from what the original style of ESO was meant to be. It's more based on solo style play rather than group synergy now days.
    #MOREORBS
  • Nuntjako
    Nuntjako
    ✭✭✭
    ESO could definitly be more viewerfriendly and more interesting for people on twitch to watch. ESO is doing silly numbers on twitch compared to other MMOs and other popular games in general.

Ways they could make battlegrounds more competitive:
    - 4v4 instead of 4v4v4.
    - New maps to fit the 4v4 competitive matches.
    - Make a quality lobby with the posibility of making custom matches.
    - Improve the leadersboards/rankingsystem.
    - Spectator-mode
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Upgrade the servers
  • Cpt_Ati
    Cpt_Ati
    OP is comparing "popularities" not the game itself.

ZoS needs to improve Cyrodiil experience. They need to fix lag and bugs first.

I have one suggestion. Why dont we get campaigns like 160-300CP or 300-660CP.

If im 660 CP player i can adjust mines to 300 to enter campaign. It will reduce lag, reduce zerg fights.
    Long Load Time-Wood Elf Nightblade 800+ CP
  • amir412
    amir412
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Zeni made a mistake releasing the game at the state it was,
    Making so many gamers have permant negative opinion on ESO, which is wrong by far this days.
    Edited by amir412 on August 17, 2017 10:38AM
    PC | EU | AD |Stam Dk named "-Saidden"| 1700 CP|
    "..A world without fire. Ashen one, is this truly thy wish?.."

• xSkullfox
    xSkullfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fix the Groupfinder ???
    Groupfinder:
    The worst part is when it finally puts you in a group, your healer turns into a werewolf, your tank has 14k HP and the dps is heavy armor, using a restro staff and a two handed sword on the backbar. Then comes the 15 minute penalty before the cycle starts anew.

Rulz of Morrowind:
    • The first rule of Morrowind is: You do not talk about Morrowind.
    • The second rule of Morrowind is: You do not talk about Morrowind.
    • Third rule of Morrowind: Someone yells NDA stuff, uploads images, streams, the game is over.
    • Fourth rule: only invited players can test.
    • Fifth rule: one invite at a time, fellas.
    • Sixth rule: crying or bashing on pts.
    • Seventh rule: NDA will go on as long as they have to.
    • And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first invite at Morrowind, you have to play.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranked option is the only feature I miss in BGs.
    BGs are currently only for fun mode, how about adding some competition to them? (No, BG leaderboards aren't competitive in case you ask)
    Ranked play would be an requirement, right now its like an pug, you can get an bis or trash group.
    ranked would put you with players around your level making it more enjoyable
    This is why the moba games work, an new player will not be crunched all the time,
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will have to remove all NRG-based systems, so no Major Evasion, no proc of any kind (even Engine Guardian), and also no crit. So, probably not.
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • Sylosi
    Sylosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are people on about ranked play to make it competitive, when the basic design of three teams in a match is an absolute joke in terms of the game mode being competitive.
    Edited by Sylosi on August 17, 2017 12:21PM
  • xSkullfox
    xSkullfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Filter for gametypes
    Groupfinder:
    The worst part is when it finally puts you in a group, your healer turns into a werewolf, your tank has 14k HP and the dps is heavy armor, using a restro staff and a two handed sword on the backbar. Then comes the 15 minute penalty before the cycle starts anew.

Rulz of Morrowind:
    • The first rule of Morrowind is: You do not talk about Morrowind.
    • The second rule of Morrowind is: You do not talk about Morrowind.
    • Third rule of Morrowind: Someone yells NDA stuff, uploads images, streams, the game is over.
    • Fourth rule: only invited players can test.
    • Fifth rule: one invite at a time, fellas.
    • Sixth rule: crying or bashing on pts.
    • Seventh rule: NDA will go on as long as they have to.
    • And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first invite at Morrowind, you have to play.
  • derpmander
    derpmander
    ✭✭✭
    Going back to the homestead patch for PvE would bring its popularity up, no matter by how little. From an endgame player PoV, Morrowind and HOTR have been poor choices by a very disconnected company who knows absolutely nothing about their own game.
    What Mechanics
    One Frag No Magicka - Magicka Sorcerer
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where would you start?

No custom UI's, everyone would have to fist play with the same ui
    No way for 3rd party apps to modify game memory
    Fix lasting bugs like multiple mundus stones without tbs sets
    Re-balance gear
    Re-balance classes
    Re-balance universal skills and ultimates
    Provide access to equal gear for participants
    Improve the game-play of arenas to where, instead of them just being poorly copy and pasted concepts from other FPS and MMOs, to something that plays well with this games combat and movement system.

That's where I'd start anyway, in other words, a total no-starter. It's never going to happen, enjoy the player liquidity you have while you have it. :smiley:
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • LjAnimalchin
    LjAnimalchin
    ✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »
    lag

If Cyrodiil was still 600v600v600 WITHOUT LAG then this game would be burning hot

But no, reduced to 150v150v150 to "increase performance" aka too lazy to fix lag so we downscaled

Seriously, this. The pvp in this game is insanely good. If it was fixed, And if Zos then ACTUALLY ADVERTISE IT TO PEOPLE, like a viral campaign featuring massive keep fights etc this game would be a lot more popular.
    As is it's dying, on twitch YouTube etc because pvp side was left to rot... and nobody wants to watch some guy quest with his buddies.
  • Khami
    Khami
    ✭✭✭✭

One is a MOBA, one is a MMO.

MMOs aren't competitive like MOBAa.

Please don't compare them, they'll never be the same.
  • Jamini
    Jamini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Removing most progression elements would be a good start.
    Progression play kills competitive play, and regulates all but the most hardcore players to the side.
    1T was a great start, but honestly getting rid of CP would be a very necessary step in pulling in a competitive streamer crowd.

That and performance/loading screens getting made less painful.
    "Adapt. or Die."
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree there's no real point in comparing ESO to Dota or Lol. Those games have very compressed systems that are much easier to understand from a distance.

Besides this, those are also entirely competative environments. ESO is not. ESO would continually suffer because PVE and PVP will not be seperated by the devs.
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    as someone who has over 6000 hours in DOTA 2 i feel my input might be valid.
    reason why they are likely better competitively as well as popularity wise?

they balance it and fix bugs/exploits as a number one priority.
    why?
    because nobody hangs around for broken, overused stomping skills/builds and lets exploits run rampant.

they make these balance changes aimed at mosly the higher end players over casual players because you want to get people hooked, you want people to be "the next dendi" as DOTA2 players would call it, or in ESO's case the next Deita was it?

either way. THIS is what makes mobas so popular.
    people have a love hate relationship because its fun, addictive and BALANCED.

and before people say, yes higher skilled builds/play styles WILL crush more casual focused people but this comes with experience not balance, no amount of balancing can make every play field equal but making it so gear, skills, the game, all work on equal footing is where you start, the player themselves dictate if they are "overpowered" or not by skill and practice.

Edit:
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198009624182/
    steam profile with visible evidence to back up the hours in case anyone gets snarky.
    and yes. i need a life.
    Edited by dsalter on August 17, 2017 4:31PM
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really enjoy MOBAs. ESO PvP is far more fun in its current form than any MOBA I've played.

I don't understand why that genre is so popular.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Blobsky
    Blobsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whilst i streamed eso full time, i gave hundreds of ideas. None ever happened. The Dodo is more likely to leave extinction than zos are to listen
    Yt Channell: Blobsky

DC EU Nightblade
    Owner of 'The Travelling Merchant' - Craglorn trade guild since near release!
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Blobsky wrote: »
    Whilst i streamed eso full time, i gave hundreds of ideas.

Can you share some of them?
  • EdmundTowers
    EdmundTowers
    ✭✭✭
    I played LoL for about a year and Dota2 for a bit. It's interesting how differently they approached balancing their game. LoL would nerf/buff characters until they all would be viable for most of their playerbase where as dota2 balanced their game by making every single character op as f in its own way. But the main thing was that they paid a lot of attention to balancing their game and fixing bugs. Players often didn't agree with their balancing decisions but at least the devs would balance and patch the game often. If I recall correctly, for LoL there was a small patch every 1-2 weeks to fix bugs, make slight adjustments to some characters, or drop the nerf hammer on something thats obviously broken OP and being abused. Big changes happened every season, every 3-4 months.

In eso we get big changes every 3 months or so but there is no team dedicated to patching the game every couple weeks to fix bugs or balance obv broken things, unless it's pve. That's the problem. Things stay broken for months before zos gets around to fixing them. The gap close bug where crit charge and shield charge were not working lasted for months after thieves guild update. Streak bug was another. I don't know how long templar toppling charge was broken. Took a year before they acknowledged and nerfed proc sets that were overperforming. Cyro lag and never ending load screens? Years How long were bg group ques not working?

If they want to tap into that e sports $$, the games gotta work at least. Zos has got to devote a team to patch and balance the game on a bi-weekly or at least monthly schedule. Not every 3 months.
    Co GM of Imperium of the Eagle, PvP Guild NA PC, ~Aldmeri Dominion~
    Tyrael Allynna Aldmeri Magplar
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kalfis wrote: »
    I hope it never becomes that popular, certainly don't want more a cancerous community.

Don't agree with you at all, the game becoming bigger is literally exactly what it needs. It will also ensure the game doesn't die.

Every community will be "cancerous" to some extent, so that isn't really a legitimate concern when discussing a game expanding.