The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Soul Strike should get the Death stroke treatment

• Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That won't help with it's imbalance in PvP. Easiest solution is to reducte the ticks. From there on we will see how it plays, if it's still an issue then they should slightly increase the cost.
  • Nutshotz
    Nutshotz
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ForsakenSin totally correct and couldn't say it better, [sorry I couldn't go into detail about why it doesn't need a nerf sin did that for me]

As for who asked if I shield up, i block and dampen, the only time I manage to die to a soul assault is when I'm below 25% HP

Don't get me wrong having a TP of 103k is brutal for soul assault but also take into consideration, against a magicka user, shield stacking and more than likely out heal the dmg, against a stam user, you have on average 34-50k stam so having rally or momentum up plus vigor and blocking, and LoS or if your able to get outside the range of soul assault to break it.

I feel your pain if it's people using soul assaults in a group on you I do, but I don't use it in group, I use it for 1vx playstyle. Also take it into consideration that in those 3-5 seconds we can't heal, cant use other skills can't do sh*t, only use soul assault but, we can cancel it if we are taking to much dmg.

Now the other thing I didn't get to say before is that we all know that soul assaults ticks are big but maybe if you are a stam user maybe consider running a resto?? Or figure out how to get your vigors to heal for more?

Cuz right now

Sorcs - 32%
    Templars - 26%
    Nightblades - 24%
    DK's - 13%
    Wardens - 5%

So that's from soul assaults kill counter from last weekend. So sorcs are my highest kill.... oddly satisfying

The only thing I'm trying to say is even with it being @100 ult there are consequences of using it were as a stamblade can come in ambush, fear, surprise attack, incap proc selene and deal way more dmg! In less time than a soul assault but you don't see me saying nerf incap or selene's.
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    It does too much for that cost, either increase cost to dawnbreaker aka 125 or reduce the duration/damage.

I use sa on mag toons and think increased cost is appropriate for all that it does.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ForsakenSin totally correct and couldn't say it better, [sorry I couldn't go into detail about why it doesn't need a nerf sin did that for me]

As for who asked if I shield up, i block and dampen, the only time I manage to die to a soul assault is when I'm below 25% HP

Don't get me wrong having a TP of 103k is brutal for soul assault but also take into consideration, against a magicka user, shield stacking and more than likely out heal the dmg, against a stam user, you have on average 34-50k stam so having rally or momentum up plus vigor and blocking, and LoS or if your able to get outside the range of soul assault to break it.

I feel your pain if it's people using soul assaults in a group on you I do, but I don't use it in group, I use it for 1vx playstyle. Also take it into consideration that in those 3-5 seconds we can't heal, cant use other skills can't do sh*t, only use soul assault but, we can cancel it if we are taking to much dmg.

Now the other thing I didn't get to say before is that we all know that soul assaults ticks are big but maybe if you are a stam user maybe consider running a resto?? Or figure out how to get your vigors to heal for more?

Cuz right now

Sorcs - 32%
    Templars - 26%
    Nightblades - 24%
    DK's - 13%
    Wardens - 5%

So that's from soul assaults kill counter from last weekend. So sorcs are my highest kill.... oddly satisfying

The only thing I'm trying to say is even with it being @100 ult there are consequences of using it were as a stamblade can come in ambush, fear, surprise attack, incap proc selene and deal way more dmg! In less time than a soul assault but you don't see me saying nerf incap or selene's.

Cool, except a 100k Soul Assault tooltip still deals a minimum of 15k damage to a medium armor stam build (17% mitigation), that's with blocking & Vigor ticks for the duration factored in.

Also drains 17,2k stamina (and stops your stamina regen for the duration).

But that's totally fine for a 100 cost ultimate, right?

And why on earth would a stam build run a resto staff? This isn't 2014.

I don't think you're looking at the problem from all perspectives.

I also don't think it's fair to compare Soul Assault to Incap for two reasons:
    1. Incap can be dodged, Incap can be blocked without draining more than 2160 stamina, Incap doesn't prevent you from cloaking afterwards. Your weird combo you mentioned takes a total of 5.2 seconds to perform btw - there are much more efficient combos - but even those you can counter with fast reflexes & a dodge roll/block.
      Any damage after Fear for example is 100% avoidable as there is a 1.3s GCD after cast & it is easy to CC break+dodge roll before that GCD ends and opponent can do anything.
    2. Soul Assault deals more damage per second than Incap hits for, though you can't weave it with light/heavy attack/bash so it kind of makes up for it.

But the worst thing about Soul Assault is when you're trying to 1vX as a medium armor user - this skill forces you to block (as you can't even cloak as a stamblade), meaning that not only do you lose most of your health & stamina pools to that one cheap ultimate (assuming you were high enough health to survive it in the first place), but now also all the other potatoes will be able to deal their damage to you, as you're slowed down & unable to dodge or run for LoS while blocking that Soul Assault.

Long story short, this ultimate is one of the things that make PvP a miserable experience for any medium armor user not running S&B (and if you are running S&B, you should just be running heavy tbh).
    Edited by DDuke on August 10, 2017 1:01AM
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    @SirSocke

Ever fought a StamNB with 7/7 well-fitted, Eternal Hunt, Shuffle and Draining Shot? There is a reason dodge rolls are where they are now.

Sounds like an easy kill with 7 well fitted.

Pop a detect pots and easy kill.
    SirSocke wrote: »
    Sure I fight those guys. A well placed fear, an ambush and some surprise attacks and they are dead. No problem.
    But shield stackers have their shields up even if they were feared. And tanks break free and block again before you can melt them down...

Acting like a properly played build with dodge and cloak is not op against projectile builds (when you´re fighting with los and kite) is the same as acting a shieldstacking build isn´t op against magica opponents.
    It just does not help any point you´re trying to make.

They draw each other 100% of the time. A sorc can´t catch a nb a nb can´t kill a sorc that does not chase them.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »
    Soul Assault is fine as is

Look at Dawnbreaker, it has no counter play. It's an
    AOE cone
    Undodgable
    AOE CC
    High damage
    High damage DOT
    Animation Cancel nuke

You can't even see the animation at all most of the time because it's clipped and it dies more damage then a single target channel that will get you killed if you time it wrong and you want to nerf Soul Assault?

Wow...one of the few skills strong against dodge doling stam builds...everyone in the game is tanky now and will be even more tanky next patch..the last thing we need is another damage nerf to an ultimate. Dawnbreaker is the stam version of SS and is better in every way. Yet it's ok? If SS is OP Dawnbreaker is flat out broken!

Arguably, dawnbreaker is stam version of comet.
    I don't get where you find the similarities between dawnbreaker and SS. The only similar thing is low cost. That does not mean they should be equally good. I don't have to remind you lack of good stamina ults right? You just named one of two.

But that's not the point. SS wrecks medium armor builds. Dawnbreaker is strong overall, but is not that strong vs any builds in the game. You can block dawnbreaker for 2-4k stamina and take 3k damage. That will happen in matter of 1 second and except the DoT you are basically free to do whatever.
    You block soul assault for ~20k stamina and stand in one place for 4sec taking 20k damage.

Seriously.

If your dawnbreaker gets blocked by someone that´s not permablocking you´ve made a serious error and it´s 100% the users fault.

It´s one of the best animationcanceled skills in the game as it becomes truely instant.
    <Noricum>

• Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »
    But the worst thing about Soul Assault is when you're trying to 1vX as a medium armor user - this skill forces you to block (as you can't even cloak as a stamblade), meaning that not only do you lose most of your health & stamina pools to that one cheap ultimate (assuming you were high enough health to survive it in the first place), but now also all the other potatoes will be able to deal their damage to you, as you're slowed down & unable to dodge or run for LoS while blocking that Soul Assault.

Long story short, this ultimate is one of the things that make PvP a miserable experience for any medium armor user not running S&B (and if you are running S&B, you should just be running heavy tbh).

You know the exact same argument can be made about shieldbreaker?
    <Noricum>

• Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd start with removing the 70% snare. Less snares generally would be a good thing.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

Well now you know what ss feels like for medium armor builds. Its like going up against a shieldbreaker every other fight. In short, its not fun. Not fun at all.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pieratsos wrote: »

Well now you know what ss feels like for medium armor builds. Its like going up against a shieldbreaker every other fight. In short, its not fun. Not fun at all.

Oh i know it isn´t.

I just wanted to point out the irony that the same people now telling you how broken and unfun soulassault is were telling how you just have to adapt your build to cope with shieldbreaker back then.
    <Noricum>

• pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pieratsos wrote: »

Oh i know it isn´t.

I just wanted to point out the irony that the same people now telling you how broken and unfun soulassault is were telling how you just have to adapt your build to cope with shieldbreaker back then.

Well thats what happen when people are biased. Unfortunately most people are. Anyone who isnt biased will say that both are broken.
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Well... no, I don't see it that way.

Shield Breaker, while certainly annoying and "unfair" for magicka builds with shields, isn't a "guaranteed" death really. With 2k damage going through every second, you still have time to streak away (or cloak if playing magblade) before you die, or burst down that Shield Breaker user if possible.

At no point are you forced to block & practically stand still while your stamina & health bars both go down to almost zero and a zerg piles on on top of you.

I think it's more comparable to something like Piercing Mark vs NB.

I don't personally use Shield Breaker (despite how much I dislike dmg shields in PvP) for the same reasons I don't use Piercing Mark - they're niche & gimp you in non-niche scenarios.

That said, I do think it should be banned from duels (same as Piercing Mark vs NBs).

Edit: come to think of it, I think I got what you meant by the comparison: it makes certain builds nigh unplayable in PvP - too many Shield Breakers, you can't effectively play a shield build at all, while too many Soul Assaults (and other undodgeable shite) means you can't effectively play a medium armor build at all. In that sense yes, both are broken.
    Edited by DDuke on August 10, 2017 10:46AM
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »
    Soul Assault is fine as is

Look at Dawnbreaker, it has no counter play. It's an
    AOE cone
    Undodgable
    AOE CC
    High damage
    High damage DOT
    Animation Cancel nuke

You can't even see the animation at all most of the time because it's clipped and it dies more damage then a single target channel that will get you killed if you time it wrong and you want to nerf Soul Assault?

Wow...one of the few skills strong against dodge doling stam builds...everyone in the game is tanky now and will be even more tanky next patch..the last thing we need is another damage nerf to an ultimate. Dawnbreaker is the stam version of SS and is better in every way. Yet it's ok? If SS is OP Dawnbreaker is flat out broken!

Arguably, dawnbreaker is stam version of comet.
    I don't get where you find the similarities between dawnbreaker and SS. The only similar thing is low cost. That does not mean they should be equally good. I don't have to remind you lack of good stamina ults right? You just named one of two.

But that's not the point. SS wrecks medium armor builds. Dawnbreaker is strong overall, but is not that strong vs any builds in the game. You can block dawnbreaker for 2-4k stamina and take 3k damage. That will happen in matter of 1 second and except the DoT you are basically free to do whatever.
    You block soul assault for ~20k stamina and stand in one place for 4sec taking 20k damage.

Seriously.

If your dawnbreaker gets blocked by someone that´s not permablocking you´ve made a serious error and it´s 100% the users fault.

It´s one of the best animationcanceled skills in the game as it becomes truely instant.

There is a thing called expecting something before it happens, you aren't forced to react after it happened. Sure, expecting random dawnbreaker is hard and sure on magicka build you dont wanna to block (= waste stamina) if you aren't sure it is for the good (blocking something big, not light attack).
    But it is possible and it was still hardly my point was it. You can eat dawnbreaker all day, but unless well placed, eating it (= not blocking) is always better than fully expecting and blocking soul assault.
    Obviously that is the case only for medium.

And before someone says that different builds react differently to different ulties I dare you to try it, there is no ulti that impactful vs any build as is soul assault vs medium
    Edited by SodanTok on August 10, 2017 12:50PM
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit: come to think of it, I think I got what you meant by the comparison: it makes certain builds nigh unplayable in PvP - too many Shield Breakers, you can't effectively play a shield build at all, while too many Soul Assaults (and other undodgeable shite) means you can't effectively play a medium armor build at all. In that sense yes, both are broken.

That´s exactly what i meant.

The devs introduced hardcounters that make for absolutely terrible gameplay experience (as hardcounters always do).

I´m already getting stomach aches thinking about torugs + skoria being an absolutely vaible spec dmg wise next patch. People will heavyattack you to death.
    Edited by Derra on August 10, 2017 1:17PM
    <Noricum>

• Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Derra

That seems to be the gameplay the developers want though. Raise the floor.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Derra

That seems to be the gameplay the developers want though. Raise the floor.

By getting rid of the ceiling?
    <Noricum>

• Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Derra

It somehow does dawn on them ever so (and too) slowly that whatever they do to raise the floor gets utilized by the ceiling to push it even higher.
  • Nutshotz
    Nutshotz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok you have a valid point on that part. As for the resto part on stam users actually that resto ult would benefit you. I'm just throwing out examples.

You also have to take into consideration and look at it from the perspective of the player using soul assault. Timing that soul assault at the right time to get the kill. [ tested it out last night on 2 DK's one stam and magicka, a stam sorc, a stamblade, and a magplar ] < from full HP soul assault is useless, it does drain your stam by at least 50% and a 1/4 HP on the stam dk, nightblade, and sorc, where as the magplar and mDK suffered all stam lost and 60% HP lost as well.

We were just toying around to see if you could kill someone from full HP while blocking and not blocking, you cant, but once you reach that 50% HP barrier it's a game changer. It's just like any other high damage ult were you time it that matters the most.

If anything I'd remove the snare or reduce it to 40% but if that happens than you would have to do that to [wardens ult] , ICE comet, and any other ult that has a snare

@DDuke but if you want I can show you what its like from full HP at 75, 50, 25, 10 while blocking and so forth if you want to prove a point

Also adding this, if you honestly think soul assault is that strong you must not remember or have not been around when Jesus beam was OP as hell! I'd Jesus beam ppl from full HP to 0.
    Edited by Nutshotz on August 10, 2017 5:09PM
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok you have a valid point on that part. As for the resto part on stam users actually that resto ult would benefit you. I'm just throwing out examples.

You also have to take into consideration and look at it from the perspective of the player using soul assault. Timing that soul assault at the right time to get the kill. [ tested it out last night on 2 DK's one stam and magicka, a stam sorc, a stamblade, and a magplar ] < from full HP soul assault is useless, it does drain your stam by at least 50% and a 1/4 HP on the stam dk, nightblade, and sorc, where as the magplar and mDK suffered all stam lost and 60% HP lost as well.

We were just toying around to see if you could kill someone from full HP while blocking and not blocking, you cant, but once you reach that 50% HP barrier it's a game changer. It's just like any other high damage ult were you time it that matters the most.

If anything I'd remove the snare or reduce it to 40% but if that happens than you would have to do that to [wardens ult] , ICE comet, and any other ult that has a snare

@DDuke but if you want I can show you what its like from full HP at 75, 50, 25, 10 while blocking and so forth if you want to prove a point

Also adding this, if you honestly think soul assault is that strong you must not remember or have not been around when Jesus beam was OP as hell! I'd Jesus beam ppl from full HP to 0.

There's no need to show me anything, I've tested it myself.

For it to only deal 1/4th of health bar in damage, you pretty much need to be wearing S&B and/or heavy armor - or the person Soul Assaulting needs to have like 60k tooltip only.

With 60k tooltip, you're looking at:
    30k (Battle Spirit)/3.5s=8571-17%(medium armor mitigation)->7114 -50% (Block modifier without S&B)->3557 -Vigor (around 1,5k/second if we're being generous)->2057 dmg/second while blocking on average, resulting in 7200 dmg total (around 1/3rd-1/4th of health bar).

120k tooltip? 5614 dmg on average per second & 19 650 total.

It's all a matter of how much damage you're stacking as the person using Soul Assault - but even the low damage ones force you to block & prevent you from cloaking (that's a big reason why jbeam is not as big of a problem, along with jbeam being interruptable as well) which is a death sentence in 1vX.
    Edited by DDuke on August 10, 2017 5:30PM
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For it to only deal 1/4th of health bar in damage, you pretty much need to be wearing S&B and/or heavy armor - or the person Soul Assaulting needs to have like 60k tooltip only.

30k (Battle Spirit)/3.5s=8571-17%(medium armor mitigation)->7114 -50% (Block modifier without S&B)->3557 -Vigor (around 1,5k/second if we're being generous)->2057 dmg/second while blocking on average, resulting in 7200 dmg total (around 1/3rd-1/4th of health bar).

It's all a matter of how much damage you're stacking as the person using Soul Assault - but even the low damage ones force you to block & prevent you from cloaking (that's a big reason why jbeam is not as big of a problem, along with jbeam being interruptable as well) which is a death sentence in 1vX.

anything over 70k is pretty high for soulassault on a somewhat balanced build.
    <Noricum>

• DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

anything over 70k is pretty high for soulassault on a somewhat balanced build.

Perhaps, but there are quite a few of those around (particularly Templars who love to hit you with a Javelin & Purifying Light & then Soul Assault->Jbeam if still alive).

In any case, it's still "drain 17,2k stamina & deal 7-8k dmg" for 100 ultimate - though as NB you can cut it short after the 2 seconds "can't cloak" debuff is gone (why this debuff exists in the first place, I've no idea).

I'm yet to try how medium stam warden deals with it though, with enough stats I believe it should be outhealable with Soothing Spores.
    Edited by DDuke on August 10, 2017 5:53PM
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

but you know you need to sacriface 5 armor pieces for shieldbreaker for only sorcs while SS is just 1 ultimate for exange which is in overall very very good and with this to every medium armor mostly its death
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edziu wrote: »

but you know you need to sacriface 5 armor pieces for shieldbreaker for only sorcs while SS is just 1 ultimate for exange which is in overall very very good and with this to every medium armor mostly its death

That was an argument when shieldbreaker didn´t have weapons. You "sacrifice" your bowbar 5p.

Soulassault is a pretty crappy ultimate against anything not in medium. It´s just that the alternatives are worse for templar and sorc.
    <Noricum>

• pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Soul assault is prety much a guaranteed death sentence for any medium armor build. It negates every single defence they have and u cant do anything. Even if u block it u will still take roughly 10k dmg and drain ur whole stamina pool. Its bad for the game. Period. Stop defending it.
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd start with removing the 70% snare. Less snares generally would be a good thing.

don't see an ult snare as being the place to start, assuming zos is going to ever do anything about chain snares, permastuns, and chain cc's. (which they won't)

as mentioned previously, it's not that great of an ult to begin with.