Orsinium is bigger and better than Morrowind

• jordthesantaman
    This post is pretty much going to conflict with peoples opinions. It depends on opinion if Morrowind is better than Orsinium. I haven't bought Morrowind yet, but it looks good, and I hope it is. But I agree with the author, Orsinium is a good DLC.

Sweet Mother, Sweet Mother. Send your child unto me for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the Orsinium main quest line a lot more than Morrowind's, however the random quests you find around Vvardenfell were actually rather enjoyable compared to Orsiniums.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    World map of morrowind is larger, even when not counting the inaccessible areas, as someone stated earlier there is a whole thread about it, Vvardenfell is bigger. Morrowind has more to do in replayable content, more dailes, and more reasons to go around exploring and opening chests and finding things. Whether or not the quests story was good or bad is left to each individual player, but Morrowind has more replayabilty in terms of dailies and reason to do quests(to get better drop chance on motifs) and it does have a 12 man Trial while orsinium had the hell that is Maelstrom. I rank the Morrowind update above Orsinium personally cause of these reasons.
  • Jubilee_Cake
    Jubilee_Cake
    ✭✭✭
    World map of morrowind is larger, even when not counting the inaccessible areas, as someone stated earlier there is a whole thread about it, Vvardenfell is bigger. Morrowind has more to do in replayable content, more dailes, and more reasons to go around exploring and opening chests and finding things. Whether or not the quests story was good or bad is left to each individual player, but Morrowind has more replayabilty in terms of dailies and reason to do quests(to get better drop chance on motifs) and it does have a 12 man Trial while orsinium had the hell that is Maelstrom. I rank the Morrowind update above Orsinium personally cause of these reasons.
    0.002% is much better than 0.001%, sure.

Morrowind map is bigger but empty as Syberia is bigger than most of the countries. Bigger doesn't mean it's full of activities and quests.
    The better replayability has Dark Brotherhood: people literally swarm the road from the Gold Coast Wayshrine to the DB base.

Once again: the storyline is extremely short and boring, side quests are mostly boring and unmemorable, area is big but empty.
    BTW, Orsinium has a story variations:
    you can save High Priestess Solgra or make her die.
    Any same in Morrowind?
    Edited by Jubilee_Cake on July 10, 2017 5:14PM
    EU: Qa-ra ... Redfurred ... Mourith ... Vinelle ... Jearati
    Ynglinne ... Furry Tale ... Ko'shka ... Q'illa ... J'unne
    A'gratter ... Lexxette ... Kath'anni ... Catorinne ... La Befana
    Francatstein ... Fluffy Bluff ... Eridium Blight
    NA: Riddle-dar ... Dra's al Ghul
  • Shadzilla
    Shadzilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SIZE DOESN'T MATTER

imagessize-doesnt-matter.jpg
  • grim_tactics
    grim_tactics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main story of Wrothgar was better and took longer but I didn't find the side quests that enjoyable nor that involved.

Morrowind had a short main story but one half of the island was a completely different story. I think Morrowind had much better side quests.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They're both very good and I'd have a hard time picking a winner between them, so I'm going to cop out and call it a tie.

Orsinium was an early DLC when ZOS was big on the idea of showing us what DLC was all about. It was their second large new zone post release and unlike Craglorn, it was 100% solo-questing friendly. Despite the Imperial City being the first DLC, Orsinium was the crown jewel of the DLC model.

Vvardenfell is likewise their showcase for the new "It's not a DLC, it's Chapter!" content release model going forward. It's trying to sell us on the idea (and failing miserably) that some DLC is so special that it shouldn't be included in the content the ESO+ subbers get for free.

But (trying to stay positive here) it does show that they can release excellent content when they're motivated about selling us on their latest business model.
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »
    Orsinium was better in alot of ways, morrowind should have been a dlc with warden as part of the base game.

This.
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Size really isn't a factor for me when it comes to content; quality is.

Most content in this game doesn't come close to my favorite zone, Stros M'kai. It's small. It's isolated. But it somehow manages to have some of the consistently best writing, characters, situations, and pacing. And it has really strong replay value. It's probably the only zone I look forward to playing on every single character.

Maybe the problem with the game is size. Pumping out a lot of average content just so things appear bigger. It backfires. You expect more, and it only gets tedious and exhausting when reality doesn't match your expectations. 3 hours of great content is a much, much better value than 30 hours of just okay.
    signing off
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Tyrobag wrote: »
    You can get from lvl 1 to lvl 35 easily with questing in Morrowind (way more than enough to go 5 levels), you skipped a significant amount of content. Also (as has already been established) you title is inherently false, Vvardenfell is physically larger than Wrothgar. Orsinium was also improved over a few patches. Example: whereas Morrowind came with 4 new motifs Orsinium didn't have any until later patches. On top of that, Morrowind is going to be getting more motifs in coming patches, as well as more battlegrounds.

Morrowind has a larger amount of inaccessible areas,you can't count that.
    There was a really nice post in the beta forums where someone actually scaled the maps, cut the inaccessible areas then compared them pixel by pixel and Morrowind came out bigger.

It might be bigger but something about it felt quite devoid of the life and fullness that we got with Orsinium.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Morrowind is much better than Orsinium in almost every aspect... The territory is more interesting, the flora and fauna is more intriguing (and nostalgic for some), the quests/stories are great and long (all of them, not just the main story), the public dungeons are great with great rewards, the Trial is amazing (not as beautiful and intriguing as MoL, but still amazing), every location is interesting, every world boss is terrifically well designed (yes Orsinium was pretty good in this aspect too), I mean this area and its contents are in my opinion largely worth the money and most definitely worth more than Orsinium.

And no Orsinium might "feel" bigger when you look at the map, but in reality the overall Orsinium playable area is smaller than Vvanderfell's playable area and there are fewer locations in Orsinium.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you did Morrowind in two hours you missed quite a bit. Some quest hubs in Vvardenfell have multiple chained quests to complete with a final reward of skill point and costume, personality, etc.

But, I do believe that if Orsinium came out today it would be a chapter.

Yeah highly doubt anyone pulled off all the motif achieves in 2 hours
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood for the systems they added to the game and even the aesthetic beauty they brought. I also enjoy their additional playstyles. Where I feel TG/DB fall flat is they are rather short in comparison to Wrothgar and Vvardenfell. The problem additionally with TG and DB is that they offer players only a villainous form of game play which was disappointing to me is that the Devs had originally spoken about us having a 'cops and robbers' type of system in the game. The Iron Wheel and the Order of the Hour certainly could have been very interesting factions to join and they could have included them as possibilities with a lot of coinciding story to save on costs. I could even see an Iron Wheel operative infiltrating the Guild, and the same with the OotH. Ultimately they were both fun but I'll always feel we lost something in that arena.

Imperial City added a lot of space and systems to the game and I enjoy it from a diversion in pvp choices. There's not much more really to say on this other than a multitude of killing Fake-Bal seems to have resulted in very little of good rewards for me. Bad luck boohoo.

On the matter of Orsinium it really was and is a beautiful patch and I like the way it gave the Orcs something interesting to their history.

Vvardenfell is really enjoyable as well in much the same manner as Orsinium and it is my hope they add more cool content in the future like this. I'm not sure I understand how they are having trouble funding the development of the game though. If I had to guess they are extremely profitable on subscriptions and the sales of the initial game alone, much less on the crown store and the lockboxes. I can see why people feel Vvardenfell should be part of the game as Orsinium was. The island is fantastic but I do have to admit I wish we had more factions to join - a feeling in general that I keep having about ESO. It would be nice if they would give us a nobler sort of knightly faction to join like the Dawnguard, the Blades or the Order of the 9. The game has woven a rather villainous story for a long time, I think I'd like to see a less Riddick-styled playstyle for a while.

In short: ESO is a fun game but I'd like to see ZoS put a heroic theme to something in the future. Greybeards, Blades, Dawnguard, something. Sometimes its fun to be the Shining Knight and not the Filthy McNasty creep hiding in the shadows to stab someone while they are on the toliet.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magıc wrote: »
    Orsinium is the best content (and biggest) they've produced and it seems to be the only time they realy put some effort into the content. But hey, TES and ZOS fanboys will still argue Morrowind is bigger and better.

Because its always a matter of opinion and some people (yes this is directed partially at you) can't accept the fact that opinions are not fact, especially when the opinions of others don't align with your own. That's when you get reactions worthy of a 12 year-old kid, such as "fanboys", flying around. Grow up, accept the fact that opinions are not fact, and that not everyone is going to agree with you no matter how much you're fond of your opinion.

PS: if you look at the playable area of both Orsinium and Vvardenfel, the latter is quite significantly larger. But you'd know that if you actually went ahead and took the time to compare the two places, instead of just assuming that Morrowind is smaller to push your opinion and seemingly back it up with facts. Except that you got your facts wrong.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Malacthulhu
    Malacthulhu
    ✭✭✭✭
    As far as the stories and dialouge go. I have nightbladed everything. Accept quest, cloak cloak cloak do something cloak cloak cloak blah blah skip etc. I personally have yet to enjoy any storyline in this game. Nothing drives me more nuts then pretend choices especially when they know how to make use of phasing. Also, I make the mistake of comparing the questing to non mmo type games which is kinda wrong. I think if they want to deliever better on the questing for me to be happy the stories have to be more indepth more immersive, choices and more cut scenes. Something that will not make me want to skip through uninteresting dialouge etc. That being said, quests and dlc quests and content do not keep me playing this game.

You can look at morrowind either 2 ways. An over rated dlc or and underwhelming expansion. The comparison to Orsinium or Wrothgar seems silly. Morrowind blows it out of the water hands down content wise and detail.
    Edited by Malacthulhu on July 10, 2017 3:33AM
    Xbox One Na
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    love how ppl find it unfathomable that the morrowind content can be done so fast, not everyone frolics and gazes at scenery all day.

Some people just spam enter and have no clue what the story is. I'm not sure that really means they experienced the content though. I'm guilty of jamming skip but that's after the first play through in a game like this. I've paid too much into this game to skip everything. I realize it interrupts pvp-time. It is a fair point I sometimes get annoyed with the way pve pulls me away from pvp. I've leveled two new Wardens through Kyne-server and yet I'm finding myself engulfed in trying to get Undaunted, weapon skills, skillpoints from story content, etc. Its time-consuming and frustrating particularly when you've done this sort of thing over and over. Is skip-skip-skip warranted? Sure. I don't think the measure of an expansion should be how fast you can click the 'E' key though. Story content is not for everyone but I do think we can fairly say that the story can not be played properly in 2 hours. There is a difference well recognized by people who played Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim between a speed-run to victory over the game and actual enjoyment of the game. I'll make a comparison. It is like saying you have seen Braveheart when you watched it on x32 fast forward. It is true you might have a general sense of what went on in the film but at best you have the cliff's notes version in your mind. I'm not mocking people who skip through the content in that manner - a lot of friends do it and are entirely uninterested in the story. That's their prerogative. In my own case if I wanted to skip story I have a lot of good action oriented games or first person shooters which have generally better combat mechanics than an MMO.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I only played both for a short time. Morrowind on the PTS and Wrothgar this weekend. So i can't really get into the depth of the questing.

From a fairly shallow point of view the big difference is in the Z direction. I find both beautiful in thier own strange way. But Wrothgar has stark verticality whille Morrowind is locked into the limitations of the original Morrowind.

They completely avoided using Red mountain. They didn't open up the dwarven ruins to see the downward verticality they could of used. There didn't even allow for the roof top jumping of Hew's bane or open all the houses for stealing and looting.

Both have very beautiful caves and delves though.
    Edited by Narvuntien on July 10, 2017 4:25AM
  • Inhuman003
    Inhuman003
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you swear under oath to tell the truth and nothing but the truth by help you Talos remember you are confessing to the jury of eso forums Mr. Inhuman by results of all standards Orsinium is bigger than Morrowind by content value.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    How the heck did you complete Morrowind in 2 hours? Did you spam "e" through all the dialogue and rapid maneuvers your horse between all the quests points rather than explore? I mean I'm not saying it's not a viable way to do content if that's your thing but it's a bit silly to rush through it then complain it doesn't have enough to offer. That's like fastforwarding a movie then saying it's too short.

Far as main quests go, didn't like Wrothgar much, didn't like Morrowind much one much either(in fact can't remember a single main questline in this game I really liked except maybe Verandis one) mostly because I don't like Tribunal and couldn't side against Vivec; however the questline is very very well designed, I did enjoy that. Morrowind side quests were really awesome though imo(especially the Scarlet Judge and Sadrith Mora and Balmora ones <3 ) and rewards were much better.

One thing Wrothgar did have better for sure was WB that actually had mechanics rather than just "heavy melee/ranged attack, aoe, ads, rinse and repeat". I'm not sure if it's more of Vvardenfell being a kind of starter zone or just ZOS getting lazy but Vvardenfell WB are yawningly boring.

Amount of content-wise I feel they're about the same. Beauty is subjective, I feel they did do a great job with Vvardenfell. I wouldn't say Wrothgar is better or bigger, I'd say about the same. Is Wrothgar+BGs+new class enough for a separately paid chapter? I don't know, but we obviously aren't gonna see a dlc Wrothgar's size ever again.
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigger maybe,better no way but i enjoy playing both
    atm im leveling my mag warden at Orsinium and im very happy to see that plenty of ppl doing the same,place is packed again after long time,many players were fighting at Frostbreak fortress last night B)

Edited by method__01 on July 10, 2017 6:31AM
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

Vasanha
    This one hears nothing. Sees nothing. This one only sweeps.
    desperately need a survey assistant
  • Raeph
    Raeph
    ✭✭✭
    Orsinium was a product of love, Morrowind was a product of greed.
  • Agalloch
    Agalloch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP if you say you completed so fast the content of Morrowind why you don't post some screenshots with some achievements?

Orsinium is awesome but Morrowind is better in many aspects. I hope they will fill the empty areas, ruins and so on.

I would rate the ESO DLCs like this:

Morrowind

Orsinium

Imperial City

Dark Botherhood

Thieves Guild

SOTH ...this the last for me because of the stupid RNG at Ruins of Mazzatun veteran mode. Also I'd wish to have some introductory quests for them in the world ...before doing them.

English is not my native language.
  • IwakuraLain42
    IwakuraLain42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;-)
    Personally I think that the new zone is more beautiful then Wrothgar, there is actually a lot to explore. Storywise I think that the main story line is to short, esp. the last quest is giant waste of the beautifully crafted level. They could have done more here. On the other I think the side quests are more interesting then the Orsinium quests (even though I hate Sun-in-Shadows ....).

(Public) interest in the new trial has passed very, very fast. Virtually nobody (exept the trial guilds) is running that now, not even on normal (at least not on PS4/EU).
  • Jubilee_Cake
    Jubilee_Cake
    ✭✭✭
    People, do you know how to read?

I told them I completed main story after two hours, not all content.
    (that's an objective fact)
    I told them Morrowind is smaller since it's completion gives lesser XP than Orsinium.
    (that's an objective fact)
    I told them plottwists in Orsinium were more often and story was more interesting
    (subjective, yep. But the main evil in Balmora and main story was obvious)

But no, they say running chest after chest in hundreds is way better than anything else cause it makes their game longer.
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just your personal opinion. For me (and alot of others) its a piece of nostalgia when growing up, and to revisit Morrowind, while in a different Era is just awesome!
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Orsinium to me is superior in almost every way. The quality of the quests, the areas you visit, the music, the characters. Also the city of Orsinium is the best in the game. It looks like a complete fortress. It all just was so much more epic and memorable.

I remember walking into Old Orsinium for the first time. When you came out of the cave, into the ruined area, I was blown away. It's completely quiet, you can only hear the soft blowing of the wind... you can just feel the history of that place, knowing one of the most epic last stands took place there. Very cool to play through as an orc character.

In Vvardenfell I never had such a feeling of awe. The content felt rushed and cheap: i.e. running from A to B and back again. Running accross the entire map multiple times, giving the illusion of longevity. And there were so many frustratingly stupid characters in Morrowind. Sun in Shadow, Veya, The archcanon, to name a few. No Wrothgar wins hands down!
  • Alex_Lex
    Alex_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inhuman003 wrote: »
    Do you swear under oath to tell the truth and nothing but the truth by help you Talos remember you are confessing to the jury of eso forums Mr. Inhuman by results of all standards Orsinium is bigger than Morrowind by content value.

Sure.
    Orsinium is bigger in XP obtained.
    Edited by Alex_Lex on July 10, 2017 7:46AM
    EU: Beatrice gra-Brog, Rebellie, Yshterie, Jearra , Lirielline
    Christess, Fleuretta, Jubilee Cake, Braviliana, Onyxette
    M'adjirra, Dances-around-Nirn, Nerieth, Estrice, Ann der Wood
    Éternelle, Burns-all-the-babies, Jyggurag
    NA: Dice Twice, Nikka from the barrel
  • Jubilee_Cake
    Jubilee_Cake
    ✭✭✭
    Alex_Lex wrote: »
    Sure.
    Orsinium is bigger in XP obtained.

As I wrote b4.
    Orsinium completing made my toon grow from lvl41 to lvl 49.
    Same Morrowind completing made another my toon grow from lvl45 to lvl49.

This means Orsinium got more XP to get while doing almost same stuff (took me similar time in the end)
  • OlafdieWaldfee
    OlafdieWaldfee
    ✭✭✭✭
    It´s all about personal preferences.
    I like Thieves Guild and dark Brotherhood best with all their plot-twists, loveable NPCs and fast-paced storytelling, plus the great new murderblade- and stealthy-basket-minigames.
    I found Orsinium tedious and the story not very interesting. I did it once, took me ages (I wanted the costumes, so I had to fill that drreadful museum) and it was ... moderate fun. At best.
    Morrowind is visually way superior, the mainquest is great storytelling with cliffhangers and all - but it takes far too long to navigate this huge island with the volcano blocking all direct ways.

So - all DLC has it´s merits and flaws and mileage may vary. Personal preferences are personal.

That being said ... I, too, think Morrowind was way overpriced.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    VMA lasts forever :smile: