Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

New and returning player welcome thread (Current players say hello!) - Greymoor Edition

tinythinker
tinythinker
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
D7LBdXMW0AMX715?format=jpg&name=large

Hello, and welcome (back) to the Elder Scrolls Online! :smile:

If you are familiar with Tamriel from other TES games, come see it again for the first time.

If not, get ready to explore an amazing new world filled with wonders and dangers, and naturally, dangerous wonders and wondrous dangers.

There are lots of helpful players, good guides, and links to useful content on these forums. This includes guild recruitment pages [PC/Mac-NA, PC/Mac-EU, XBoxOne-NA, XBoxOne-EU, PS4-NA, PS4-EU] and request threads, even one for :smiley: making friends :relaxed:. Go ahead and people to your friends list and join a guild (you can be in up to five guilds in this game).

Don't be shy. We were all new here once. Just go ahead and post a new topic if you can't find one already made. Feel free to chat or ask questions in this thread as well to get started.

And current players who like to come here and help, please comment and give a nice welcome! What have you been up to lately with the game? Stop by once in a while and share :blush:

What are you looking forward to most in western Skyrim?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Added for convenience:
1. A new player/long time gone returner pile of stuff in one (hopefully easy to scroll through) from way further in this thread: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6069170/#Comment_6069170

FYI if you want ever want to get to the original main story to kind of have a starting point for meeting many key NPCs, you can travel to Davon's Watch in Stonefalls for EP, Vulkhel Guard in Auridon for AD, or Daggerfall in Glenumbra for DC and talk to the Hooded Figure to pick up the quest "Soul Shriven in Coldharbour". This isn't necessary, but some players find it helps to ground them in the game a little.

2. A YouTube video encyclopedia for ESO (jump to what you need) from Dottz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYcfm1Na5so

Wherever your adventures in Tamriel take you, best of luck to you!
Edited by tinythinker on May 22, 2020 12:47AM
Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
(And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    C'mon devs and experienced players, say Hi and describe something you like about or like to do in the game :tongue:
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Cyn_v84
    Cyn_v84
    ✭✭✭
    But but but... we're all shy! o:)

No srsly, HI!
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyn_v84 wrote: »
    But but but... we're all shy! o:)

No srsly, HI!

Heh, what's your ESO story, moment, or favorite thing? :cookie:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As for me, I started the last month of the original PC beta. Still not quite in the top 50% of player skill or gear or effectiveness but I get by. I used to post simple guides for new players the first year on the forums, then made lots of posts with game suggestions for a while. Aaaand that's about it. :smile:

• Cyn_v84
    Cyn_v84
    ✭✭✭
    I started out with the original beta, but hated it. Left it alone for a good long while and started again in september last year. Built my Khajiit NB and noticed a lot of love and frustration, but in the end, we're still together, even though I know there are some thing she won't be able to do.

I have a templar healer (for when I'm farming dungeons with my guild) and a magsorc dd (for vMA). And also, too little time to play!!!

(Now where's that cookie? :D )
    Edited by Cyn_v84 on May 31, 2017 10:37PM
  • Shanjijri
    Shanjijri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings!
    I'm playing since the pre-release. Three years ago... This one feels old.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyn_v84 wrote: »
    I started out with the original beta, but hated it. Left it alone for a good long while and started again in september last year. Built my Khajiit NB and noticed a lot of love and frustration, but in the end, we're still together, even though I know there are some thing she won't be able to do.

I have a templar healer (for when I'm farming dungeons with my guild) and a magsorc dd (for vMA). And also, too little time to play!!!

(Now where's that cookie? :D )

Someone else got to it first...

giphy.gif

• SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many greetings and many welcomes to the new kittens travelling to Vvardenfell.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome my minions are your you ready to kill for me...I mean come let me save you or heal for you as you learn the ropes!

----

For reals here's a cool healer build to look at http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/dark-priestess-pug-proof/ B)

---

The best thing about eso is the customization and freedom.

---
    Worst thing about eso my ugly staves... let me transmog them or disguise them!

----
    Advice ...hmm just have fun and go with the flow

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And here are a couple of the old guides I made that might still be helpful:

For the Alliance War: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/119730/getting-into-cyrodiil-for-players-who-havent-tried-it-feel-overwhelmed-reluctant/p1

For group dungeons: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/135387/getting-into-group-dungeons-basic-advice-for-those-new-to-this-part-of-eso/p1

They are very basic for new players who are reluctant to try more than solo questing.

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many greetings and many welcomes to the new kittens travelling to Vvardenfell.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Ball of yarn for you!

• RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To all new players or returning players for morrowind, eso has gone a long way from the start of launch. It's has grown from strength to strength and while it does have kinks and aches that needs to be addressed, it doesn't change the fact that the game now has a really good population, a solid foundation (finally) and a great story to share.

Honestly, this is the best MMO, currently, imo, hands down in the market. There might be better ones out there soon to come but as of right now, it's one of the best.

As the OP has said, get in a guild, go out and explore and ask questions!
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Vaeshti
    Vaeshti
    ✭✭
    I'm a returnee, after...whoo, what, two years? I played a bit at launch, and only recently returned. It's good to see how friendly and helpful the community is here. ^^
    [This user will be your friend in exchange for six bad puns.]
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keeroh wrote: »
    I'm a returnee, after...whoo, what, two years? I played a bit at launch, and only recently returned. It's good to see how friendly and helpful the community is here. ^^

Welcome back. How different does it feel now?

Oh, and as for your signature:

These comments should have more than enough for bad pun fans...

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/138026/so-a-new-update-comes-out
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/1152911#Comment_1152911
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/126074/wow-a-new-update-comes-out
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2881299/#Comment_2881299
    Edited by tinythinker on June 7, 2017 12:01AM

• SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many greetings to all of the new kittens.

Also when missing your wallet please remember that khajiit she did not do it.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Vaeshti
    Vaeshti
    ✭✭

@tinythinker -
    The first time around, I remember being somewhat overwhelmed after the tutorial. Perhaps it was the population at the time, it just seemed very chaotic and rushed. Now, perhaps I'm just more patient, but it seems more in the pace of TES games I've played in the past. And chat seems to be populated with more conversation than spam. Yee.
    Also, no longer using a potato-tier computer, so that helps.
    (And your puns are sufficient, hello new friend!)
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need mooooar... long timers, returnees, new players. Why did you (re)join us? For those who've been here why have you stayed and what do you recommend?

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh-hai-seal.jpg

I *could not* find this thread when Clockwork City dropped. Sorry.

But with the holidays, recent contests, new sales, and the first hints and announcements for 2018 just dropping, it was a good time to hunt for this thread again and dust it off.

Welcome new players, returners, and the people who come here to help those in the first two groups. How is the game going for you?

And I just noticed I failed to tag people like @ZOS_JessicaFolsom, @ZOS_KaiSchober, and @ZOS_GinaBruno when I invited devs and community managers to pop by from time to time before, so, fixed it! (not really)

• RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been away for the last 3-4 months due to rl issues. Missed the launch of Cwc but planning to get back with a vengeance during these holidays.

Best mmo so far imo, and I've played wow, tsw, ddo, LOTR and so forth.

Don't let the naysayers beat you down, it is a good game, albeit with a few kinks here and there. Positivity breeds positivity I'd say.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • imredneckson
    imredneckson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How's it going? Been playing since beta and still going strong. If ya need some help in game send me a whisper and I'll see what I can help ya out with. :smiley:
    Legions of Mordor Guild Officer
    Member of the GvG Community

Dunmer NB - Merser Frey (DC)
    Dunmer DK - Akaviri Battlereeve (DC)- http://orig05.deviantart.net/7ecd/f/2016/013/b/f/you_***_kill_by_eso_picture-d9nrz0q.png
    Imperial Templar - Knight of the Blood Oath (DC)-
    http://orig00.deviantart.net/5ba3/f/2016/115/a/0/jesus_beam_ftw____by_eso_picture-da09ecj.png
    High Elf Templar - Aurí-El (AD)
    High Elf Templar - Teutonic Honor Guard (EP)
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Ball of yarn for you!

I found one in game.

Now has been confiscated (along with the flying carpet) by the kitty that Broken Branch Toothmaul "rescued" from IC.

ps welcome everyone!!

Edited by newtinmpls on December 25, 2017 9:48AM
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To echo some recent comments, I've also been in ESO since beta but I take breaks, never sure when I will or how long they will last. Sometimes I try to bring back my earliest character that I remade from beta, who is the first to start Vvardenfell now on live. I got burned out on that expansion in the closed beta trying to check and test everything including minor bits of dialogue.

There will be kind and rude people in any community, and ESO has both, but it's worth checking the game out for yourself and making friends and seeing if it's a good fit for you. It won't have every single thing the way you want it, but that's OK, focus on the parts you enjoy and try something different every so often just once or twice to see how it goes.

Oh, and in the broadest sense espousing peace and good will and the hope of renewal (whatever that means to you), Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, from Chanukah to Bodhi Day to Kwanzaa and other solemn occasions shining light in the darkness of winter.

Oh, and of course, can't forget the New Life Festival...

DRxKWYdVwAAiD4U.jpg
    (artwork by Arkkmelai)

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Summerset Update

Hey hey hey, new & returning players popping in from streamers, word of mouth, hype for the upcoming Summerset chapter, etc.

Welcome (back) to Tamriel.

Lots of great resources out there and here on the forums as well. I'm just an unofficial greeter but there are many people here who can offer help and encouragement.

In fact there are so many resources it can be hard to get started, so here's an unfairly limited sampling. I could easily add several more for each category:

Alcast -- one of *many* great places to get ideas for builds

Miss Bizz (YouTube) -- one of many places to find guides to basic game info

Ninja614 (Twitch) -- one of the numerous streamers with a helpful and friendly community

Shimmer's "Differently Geared" Series (YouTube) -- offers hilarious glimpses of some of the lighter aspects of group play

Guides to ESO slang:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/136290/the-eso-slang-and-abbreviation-dictionary/p1 -- older guide to game slang (still helpful but an updated version would be helpful)

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Abbreviations_and_Terms -- another guide

Find a Guild:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/guild-recruitment -- find a guild, quick! You can join up to five at once and many are new player friendly. Great way to get help live while playing.

• Maximilian
    Maximilian
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, greetings and all that stuff. I have been in ESO since beta, but had a couple of brief interruptions due to the needs of the military. To echo the other super cool people in this forum - two of the best things I enjoy about ESO is the customization and freedom.

Keep in mind - always - It's your character and you play it however you wish as long as YOU are enjoying it. Go forth have a fun, make friends, run with sharp objects, fold things in the wrong direction and remember Slaughter Fish are not your friends.

Peace
  • Firemantim
    Firemantim
    ✭✭
    Welcome all! And kinda welcome to me, I guess! I'm just getting back into playing after about 2.5-3 years of not, and I'm loving every minute of it! I've already picked up the Morrowind Collector's Edition (on sale on Amazon), and preordered the Summerset Collector's Edition!
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firemantim wrote: »
    Welcome all! And kinda welcome to me, I guess! I'm just getting back into playing after about 2.5-3 years of not, and I'm loving every minute of it! I've already picked up the Morrowind Collector's Edition (on sale on Amazon), and preordered the Summerset Collector's Edition!

Welcome back!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And to all... it's just over a week until it hit's PC for early access and everyone else in three weeks.

What are you look forward to the most?

• Ahnog
    Ahnog
    ✭✭
    Just started two weeks ago. My first few days I wasn't impressed, but now I'm hooked. Playing a Warden Mage.
    Ahnog

Argonian Tank Warden
    High Elf Mag Warden
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahnog wrote: »
    Just started two weeks ago. My first few days I wasn't impressed, but now I'm hooked. Playing a Warden Mage.

Oh cool. Great animations for Warden with the nature theme.

ESO in some ways has lots of typical MMO stuff, then other parts are really... not.

I remember playing the Morrowind beta last year with a new toon with no advantages and wondered how well the quest placement and story would work with new players instead of the traditional opening (which you can switch to any time). Glad to see it can still hook people. Soon the starting area will be the island of Summerset instead :smile:

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maximilian wrote: »
    Keep in mind - always - It's your character and you play it however you wish as long as YOU are enjoying it. Go forth have a fun, make friends, run with sharp objects, fold things in the wrong direction and remember Slaughter Fish are not your friends.

The best advice ever. I was going to encourage something like this, but hey - you said it better.

Also, if you are not having fun, do something else. Randomly comment in chat. Compliment people. Send someone something by game mail "just because".
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Maximilian wrote: »

The best advice ever. I was going to encourage something like this, but hey - you said it better.

Also, if you are not having fun, do something else. Randomly comment in chat. Compliment people. Send someone something by game mail "just because".

Indeed :smile:

• AngryUSAman
    Welp, hello there community! I'm downloading the game now (29% of foreverness currently) after being away since Morrowind dropped. I just picked up Summerset and got Morrowind free along with it and I'm excited about getting back into the swing of things again :smile: I'm looking forward to jumping in with both feet, doing some hardcore trading once I get in some good guilds, and possibly running some group content. I'm still trying to figure out what build(s) I want to try, and WHOA, what even is a Warden!? It's Wacky stuff like this that I can't wait to test out for myself. Good luck in your struggles and adventures, friends!