The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Let this thread die

• MADshadowman_
    MADshadowman_
    ✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    Thank you for the shout out Liam! And yes this is a TERRIBLE change!

From the patch notes: Bow
    Heavy Attacks now automatically fire when they are fully charged.

Developer Comment:
    Fully-charged Heavy Attacks will be more important with the resource changes coming in this update, so we want to make sure there are no gameplay barriers to using them.

I have allot of trouble seeing how this change does anything but ADD BARIERS to using a UNIQUELY FUNCTIONING HEAVY ATTACK. zeni max seems determined to water down all playstyles to be the same.

I also have a terrible time seeing it from a real life application too. Bow hunters boast how accurate they can be with how long they can hold the how's draw. Some people can hold abow string pull for 2 minutes before firing off an accurate shot.

Edit:
    Source = https://forums.bowhunting.com/threads/how-long-can-you-honestly-hold-your-bow-back-and-still-shoot-accurately.34465/

(From google)How to fire a bow:

1. Stance. Stance prior to shooting the bow: Stand upright with feet shoulder width apart, and feet at 90 degrees to the target.
    2. Grip. ...
    3. Place The Arrow On The Bow. ...
    4. Finger Position. ...
    5. Draw. ...
    6. Aiming. ...
    7. Release.

Notice step 5. DRAW coming in before aiming and release.

https://youtu.be/wESnn1ox85U

In this instructional video on firing an arrow the instructor STRESSES THE IMPORTANCE OF DRAWING YOUR SHOT AND SETTING IT BEFORE RELEASING THE ARROW.

ZENIMAX MY IMMERSION. ZENIMAX MY UNIQUE GAMEPLAY.

seriously though, only a tard would fire arrows like they are proposing.

I know this is just a joke... but people want to talk about immersion and making it seem realistic or ruining some random niche build...it's insane... get over it. This style fits with every other weapon in the game now.

To prove your immersion concept doesn't fit...

first - Go out and find a bow... not a compound bow... find a recurve bow or a long bow... 50lb draw weight is pretty average for an adult. I use a 55lb when i target shoot (i have a friend that hunts with a 70lb draw and he's a monster)

second - do a full draw all the way to anchor... if you're even able to

third - attempt to HOLD that draw while you aim at something indefinitely....just like you are wanting to do in this game.

come back and let me know how long you could hold it... here's a hint, it won't be very long. Most people only hold it for a couple seconds. (compound bows like the one in the video... are MUCH easier to hold - we dont' have those in ESO)

Sorry, did that ruin your "immersion"?

Go out and find a fire staff.

Oh, did I just prove your whole argument invalid?

Keep walking, pal.

umm... no? that's literally what i brought up in the first sentence of my post... that this isn't real.
    nice try though.

If you were paying attention... i was responding to people posting real videos of people using a bow.

Unfortunately that doesn't make your argument any more valid.

And btw. Please show me a long bow in ESO.

Furthermore, even with a long bow you hold it drawn for a moment while you aim. And since most bows in ESO are in fact short bows/ compound bows it's not hard for a trained archer to hold a heavy attack for a while.

There you go.
  • Yiko
    Yiko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree 100%.

If you were wondering where the "Dev's don't pay their own game" sentiment comes from, it's things like this. If you've ever PvP'd with a bow for more than 5 minutes you would understand why this is bad.
  • t3hdubzy
    t3hdubzy
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you'd like to rubber band and level your bow skill this is a buff otherwise this is a nerf
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Developer Comment:
    Fully-charged Heavy Attacks will be more important with the resource changes coming in this update, so we want to make sure there are no gameplay barriers to using them.

I have allot of trouble seeing how this change does anything but ADD BARIERS to using a UNIQUELY FUNCTIONING HEAVY ATTACK. zeni max seems determined to water down all playstyles to be the same.

I also have a terrible time seeing it from a real life application too. Bow hunters boast how accurate they can be with how long they can hold the how's draw. Some people can hold abow string pull for 2 minutes before firing off an accurate shot.

Edit:
    Source = https://forums.bowhunting.com/threads/how-long-can-you-honestly-hold-your-bow-back-and-still-shoot-accurately.34465/

1. Stance. Stance prior to shooting the bow: Stand upright with feet shoulder width apart, and feet at 90 degrees to the target.
    2. Grip. ...
    4. Finger Position. ...
    5. Draw. ...
    6. Aiming. ...
    7. Release.

In this instructional video on firing an arrow the instructor STRESSES THE IMPORTANCE OF DRAWING YOUR SHOT AND SETTING IT BEFORE RELEASING THE ARROW.

I know this is just a joke... but people want to talk about immersion and making it seem realistic or ruining some random niche build...it's insane... get over it. This style fits with every other weapon in the game now.

first - Go out and find a bow... not a compound bow... find a recurve bow or a long bow... 50lb draw weight is pretty average for an adult. I use a 55lb when i target shoot (i have a friend that hunts with a 70lb draw and he's a monster)

third - attempt to HOLD that draw while you aim at something indefinitely....just like you are wanting to do in this game.

come back and let me know how long you could hold it... here's a hint, it won't be very long. Most people only hold it for a couple seconds. (compound bows like the one in the video... are MUCH easier to hold - we dont' have those in ESO)

This doesn't just affect "random niche builds." Do you even PvP?
  • ilmyy
    ilmyy
    ZOS is trying to make there is no ganker, lmao
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS decided to add a visual for block and dodge. The community practically begged for a way to toggle this off.

The end result is we had these visuals forced upon us for no logical reason.

If anyone is hoping for a toggle for heavy attack behavior... not going to happen.
  • jakeedmundson
    jakeedmundson
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Developer Comment:

Edit:

2. Grip. ...
    4. Finger Position. ...
    5. Draw. ...
    6. Aiming. ...
    7. Release.

Keep walking, pal.

umm... no? that's literally what i brought up in the first sentence of my post... that this isn't real.
    nice try though.

If you were paying attention... i was responding to people posting real videos of people using a bow.

Furthermore, even with a long bow you hold it drawn for a moment while you aim. And since most bows in ESO are in fact short bows/ compound bows it's not hard for a trained archer to hold a heavy attack for a while.

There you go.

It's exactly what i was addressing... that it isn't real... are you being serious? I DID say you hold for a moment ( a few seconds)
    but no indefinitely.

btw....You lost all credibility when you said most bows in eso are compound bows...Pretty sure they don't have these...

816311_L1.jpg?interpolation=lanczos-none&downsize=1200px:1200px

But this looks familiar doesn't it?...

61PSx0PSLXL._SL1500_.jpg

It should... cus this is one in eso..... a recurve.

eso-ophidian-bow-2.jpg

Edited by jakeedmundson on May 8, 2017 9:08PM
    CP690
    Lv 50 Dunmer DragonKnight Tank/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Sorcerer Dps
    Lv 50 Breton Templar Healer/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Nightblade Dps
    Lv 50 Redguard Sorcerer Dps
    PS4 - DC
    vSOHM - vAAHM - vHRC - vMA Flawless

My version of a Heavy Attack Sorc build
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/294724/magicka-sorc-heavy-attack-build-homestead-ready/p1?new=1
  • MADshadowman_
    MADshadowman_
    ✭✭✭

Developer Comment:

Edit:

2. Grip. ...
    4. Finger Position. ...
    5. Draw. ...
    6. Aiming. ...
    7. Release.

Keep walking, pal.

nice try though.

There you go.

It's exactly what i was addressing... that it isn't real... are you being serious? I DID say you hold for a moment ( a few seconds)
    but no indefinitely.

btw....You lost all credibility when you said most bows in eso are compound bows...Pretty sure they don't have these...

61PSx0PSLXL._SL1500_.jpg

eso-ophidian-bow-2.jpg

Thanks for proving my point. So no long bows in game and you admit that you can hold a heavy attack.

Glad we settled this argument. Let's move on.
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please, revert it or add a toggle option. It totally ruins the bow gameplay.

I love to prepare a heavy attack and wait for my target to get under my cursor.
  • Iyas
    Iyas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a good change. I like it
    Noricum/ Kitesquad/ PC/EU

Kitesquad Vol. 1

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6tGxK9KRrEI
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Developer Comment:

Edit:

2. Grip. ...
    4. Finger Position. ...
    5. Draw. ...
    6. Aiming. ...
    7. Release.

Keep walking, pal.

nice try though.

There you go.

but no indefinitely.

61PSx0PSLXL._SL1500_.jpg

eso-ophidian-bow-2.jpg

If you really want to compare, the medieval long bow archer required considerable upper body strength:

" [My yeoman father] taught me how to draw, how to lay my body in my bow ... not to draw with strength of arms as divers other nations do ... I had my bows bought me according to my age and strength, as I increased in them, so my bows were made bigger and bigger. For men shall never shoot well unless they be brought up to it.
    —Hugh Latimer.

What Latimer meant when he describes laying his body into the bow was described thus:

the Englishman did not keep his left hand steady, and draw his bow with his right; but keeping his right at rest upon the nerve, he pressed the whole weight of his body into the horns of his bow. Hence probably arose the phrase "bending the bow," and the French of "drawing" one.
    —W. Gilpin."

The old longbows also had draw strengths of 80-100 pounds. Your compound bow is around 60.

There is a reason the crossbow replaced the bow, but it was mostly because you didn't have to train someone at a young age since anyone could draw/fire a cross bow.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Etaniel
    Etaniel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iyas wrote: »
    Its a good change. I like it

Indeed
    Noricum | Kitesquad

Youtube

AR 41 DC DK

• Chori
    Chori
    ✭✭✭✭
    I usually dont really complain about changes because I adapt to them in the end but I really cant stand this one.
    It's not needed, tries to bring equality with staves and other weapons when EVERY WEAPON should be treated DIFFERENTLY.
    Not that people gives a *** if someone comes and goes but this is the kind of changes that would personally drive me away from this game.

From a NB point of view also, this is another eff you move to us. You know, stealth damage gone? ok. Siphonin strikes changed? ok, can play around something else or adapt I guess. It's a nerf after nerf being completely irresponsible about it. I thought it was going to be a good time to try t have fun with new changes but this one... like... are you all @ theHQ truly maining sorcs or something? Better wake daf up ZOS, getting tired of the road you are driving this game into
    Edited by Chori on May 8, 2017 10:05PM
    EP NA-PC - Invictus - Odem Mortis
    1. Stamina NB Cat - ChoriB'Good
    2. Magicka NB High Elf - Lîndara
    3. Stam Sorc High Elf - Lindara Moonlight
    4. Red Guard Stamina DK - Chorî
    5. Red Guard Stamina Templar - Choripaninikinnie
    6. Magplar High Elf - Vagitarian Sillonour
    Don't tell me you lag, I play with 200-300 ms all the time ^_^
  • Alp
    Alp
    ✭✭✭✭
    It bothers me so much that bows are now just as boring as staves because of this change.
  • HatchetHaro
    HatchetHaro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am actually cool with this change since I mainly PvE, and would like to actually be able to release my arrow as soon as it fully charges.

However, I agree with OP; it does ruin the very idea of using a bow. A toggle in settings would be very nice, and maybe also a charge indicator to show how far the arrow has been pulled back.
    Best Argonian NA and I will fight anyone for it

17 Argonians

6x IR, 6x GH, 7x TTT, 4x GS, 4x DB, 1x PB, 3x SBS, 1x Unchained
  • GriMTriAd
    GriMTriAd
    ✭✭✭
    Curious how this change plays with Snipe. In so much that while snipe is casting you start a heavy attack, then when snipe goes off, let go of heavy attack and get both for a slight delay in casting your next snipe.

It's by far the most efficient way to fire the bow in single target situations so if this hurts our ability to do that, it's a serious nerf in PvE.

_WAter_
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tholian1 wrote: »

Developer Comment:

All because of the new battlegrounds maybe?

not sure battlegrounds has anything to do with this. in some of the hvy attack threads the lack of auto-fire on bows was brought up as a problem and i saw one or more specific requests for auto-fire instead of hold-fire.

IMO, heading into a heavy attack important patch it makes lotsa sense to have all weapons heavy the same way - auto-release or hold-release. Changing the one outlier to match the rest makes sense.

After a period of seeing how this plays out maybe a better more comprehensive solution would be a setting for for "auto-fire all heavy attacks when charged" would be needed if the input continues to favor such.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the change, it makes it easier to get fully charged heavy attacks without losing time/damage.
  • HatchetHaro
    HatchetHaro
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Developer Comment:

Edit:

2. Grip. ...
    4. Finger Position. ...
    5. Draw. ...
    6. Aiming. ...
    7. Release.

Keep walking, pal.

nice try though.

There you go.

He said that they're mostly short/compound bows.

Note the "/".

Also, Maelstrom bow, hello?
    Edited by HatchetHaro on May 8, 2017 10:54PM
    Best Argonian NA and I will fight anyone for it

17 Argonians

6x IR, 6x GH, 7x TTT, 4x GS, 4x DB, 1x PB, 3x SBS, 1x Unchained
  • SleepyTroll
    SleepyTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one change that new players coming from a tes background are probably not going to like. Should be toggle, like ground cast AoE abilities.
  • t3hdubzy
    t3hdubzy
    ✭✭✭✭
    also a charge indicator to show how far the arrow has been pulled back.

This would be great on all weapons
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    Tholian1 wrote: »

Developer Comment:

All because of the new battlegrounds maybe?

not sure battlegrounds has anything to do with this. in some of the hvy attack threads the lack of auto-fire on bows was brought up as a problem and i saw one or more specific requests for auto-fire instead of hold-fire.

IMO, heading into a heavy attack important patch it makes lotsa sense to have all weapons heavy the same way - auto-release or hold-release. Changing the one outlier to match the rest makes sense.

After a period of seeing how this plays out maybe a better more comprehensive solution would be a setting for for "auto-fire all heavy attacks when charged" would be needed if the input continues to favor such.

It actually makes little sense for combat with a bow to be treated the same as combat up close with a blade. And it actually makes opening with a heavy attack from stealth more difficult to do since you now have to make sure you are ready and on target before pulling the trigger.
    Edited by Tholian1 on May 8, 2017 11:09PM
    PS4 Pro NA
  • Yiko
    Yiko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I mentioned in the other thread, I do not really like this change.
    It is a reduction of PVE bow user skill cap at the expense of options for bow users in PVP. Specifically for PVP, it's a reduction in the skill cap involved in a reactionary playstyle, ultimately needlessly placing more emphasis on an anticipatory playstyle.
    Edited by Yiko on May 9, 2017 12:01AM
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's probably the only way they could get the stamina return on fully charged heavy attack with bow to work.

Because... if you don't know, it doesn't work for crap currently. Even if you hold it down, for the most part your chances of getting a stamina return are nearly nil.
  • Bringer
    Bringer
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they will make bows a viable main weapon (for more than people with two specific bows), It would go nice with the vigor nerf, letting stam dps attack from range
  • imredneckson
    imredneckson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree this is going to kill one of my favorite builds.
    Legions of Mordor Guild Officer
    Member of the GvG Community

Dunmer NB - Merser Frey (DC)
    Dunmer DK - Akaviri Battlereeve (DC)- http://orig05.deviantart.net/7ecd/f/2016/013/b/f/you_***_kill_by_eso_picture-d9nrz0q.png
    Imperial Templar - Knight of the Blood Oath (DC)-
    http://orig00.deviantart.net/5ba3/f/2016/115/a/0/jesus_beam_ftw____by_eso_picture-da09ecj.png
    High Elf Templar - Aurí-El (AD)
    High Elf Templar - Teutonic Honor Guard (EP)
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Simple solution for this - make heavy attacks from stealth/crouch have non automatic release, and keep heavy attacks from regular, non crouch position automatic release. Both PvP and PvE win by this. All are happy, songs are sung and for once, Zos is praised on wise decision.
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liam12548 wrote: »
    HOWEVER. Anyone using bow in PvE is also using Dual wield, as their main source of damage. It is infinitely easier to weave a heavy DW attack, as well as more time and cost effective. NO ONE WEAVES HEAVY BOW ATTACKS.

Wow stop talking for everyone. I just use bow nothing else.
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    Simple solution for this - make heavy attacks from stealth/crouch have non automatic release, and keep heavy attacks from regular, non crouch position automatic release. Both PvP and PvE win by this. All are happy, songs are sung and for once, Zos is praised on wise decision.

This would be the solution, for sure.