The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Heavy attacking is not fun. Please reconsider your changes or reevaluate heavy attacks.

Krileon
Krileon
✭✭✭✭
The only heavy attacks that are fun are lightning and restoration staff, because they channel and it doesn't feel like you're taking 5 years to attack. DW heavy is even worse as you literally go slow-mo. Please either reconsider your sustain changes (provide more means of sustain outside of heavy attacks) or improve heavy attacks to be significantly more fun to do (aka make them faster!). I just don't understand going backwards. We did the heavy attack meta in like 1.3. It wasn't fun then and it's not fun now.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. As an inferno staff user those 3 seconds or so are painfull.
  • ofSunhold
    ofSunhold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »
    Yep. As an inferno staff user those 3 seconds or so are painfull.

"Hang on... let me just wind up this fireball... winding up... winding up... hold still now..."
    Classes that don't need any class ability nerfs: Nightblades, Dragonknights, Sorcs, Templars, Wardens.
  • jakeedmundson
    jakeedmundson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the_sun_is_warming_up__by_shinjiteflorana-d3br5k2.jpg

CP690
    Lv 50 Dunmer DragonKnight Tank/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Sorcerer Dps
    Lv 50 Breton Templar Healer/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Nightblade Dps
    Lv 50 Redguard Sorcerer Dps
    PS4 - DC
    vSOHM - vAAHM - vHRC - vMA Flawless

My version of a Heavy Attack Sorc build
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/294724/magicka-sorc-heavy-attack-build-homestead-ready/p1?new=1
  • santos.vellab16_ESO
    Krileon wrote: »
    The only heavy attacks that are fun are lightning and restoration staff, because they channel and it doesn't feel like you're taking 5 years to attack. DW heavy is even worse as you literally go slow-mo. Please either reconsider your sustain changes (provide more means of sustain outside of heavy attacks) or improve heavy attacks to be significantly more fun to do (aka make them faster!). I just don't understand going backwards. We did the heavy attack meta in like 1.3. It wasn't fun then and it's not fun now.

Currently, (weaving) DW heavies are almost twice as fast as any other weapon, so I'm not sure what you mean there. Do you just press a button and wait for the whole animation to complete as if it were a channel?
    Even without any weaving/animation cancelling (ie hold left click and let the full animation run), DW heavies take 1.75s between 2 consecutive hits, 2H take 2.2s and Fire Staff takes 2.5s
    Edited by santos.vellab16_ESO on May 5, 2017 3:43PM
  • Saint_Bud
    Saint_Bud
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ressurce managment should be to take choise for gear, buff food and enchaned setup or to use heavy attacks. I belive heavy attack build should be an option for those how like it, but current pts its the only option. Also i think for new or not so good players it will be hard to deal with traschgroups in dungeon like vet icp.That is what many dislike on this patch.
    PVP Saint-Bud magicka Templar: AR 49
    PVE Lord Victarion mDK : dro'm-Athra-Destroyer pre Morrowind retired for crafting
    PVE Ramsay-Bolton magicka NB: Voice of Reason Clockwork City Patch retired
    VAA hm/ VHRC hm/ VSO hm/ VMOL hm/ VHOF hm/ VAS hm clear

Stop playing PVE because its boring, content not disigned for melee players and class balance and sustain is ***
  • Krileon
    Krileon
    ✭✭✭✭

Currently, (weaving) DW heavies are almost twice as fast as any other weapon, so I'm not sure what you mean there. Do you just press a button and wait for the whole animation to complete as if it were a channel?
    Even without any weaving/animation cancelling (ie hold left click and let the full animation run), DW heavies take 1.75s between 2 consecutive hits, 2H take 2.2s and Fire Staff takes 2.5s

I hold it until the attack completes like 90% of other players do. I'm not going to MLBPROGAMER this nonsense and time it to the millisecond. I don't know about you, but I don't hold my weapons in the air for 5 minutes before swinging them. It's complete and utter nonsense. It doesn't feel fluid at all and it's boring.
  • santos.vellab16_ESO

I hold it until the attack completes like 90% of other players do. I'm not going to MLBPROGAMER this nonsense and time it to the millisecond. I don't know about you, but I don't hold my weapons in the air for 5 minutes before swinging them. It's complete and utter nonsense. It doesn't feel fluid at all and it's boring.

Well, that's what you're doing wrong then, you can cancel the animation roughly half way through (except for Lightning/Resto channel obviouly, and especially so with )

I don't get it: a 1.7 to 2.5s animation is so long that you get bored watching it, but so short that you don't have enough time to cancel it (roughly) midway through? I'm not talking about milliseconds there. So basically what you want is for the full animation to be shortened so you can do the same dps and have it "feel" faster without any additional input or focus on your part? How is this less boring than the current version, in which improving your execution is actually more rewarding than mindlessly grinding towards your next +0.1% damage node?

Edit: I'm mostly talking about stam weapon weaving there, I'll be the 1st to admit that Fire/Ice destro staff HA are boring, precisely because you HAVE to sit through so much of the full animation before being able to cancel it.
    Edited by santos.vellab16_ESO on May 7, 2017 11:11PM
  • H4RDFOX
    H4RDFOX
    ✭✭✭

Maybe use light attacks, which can still add damage. I mean, its simple really, unless people are unwilling to use light attacks, and heavy. I have in BG's, and in morrowind. It looks as if people are holding on to the resources unwilling to use their equipped weapons. Maybe instead of being part of the anti-resource nerf group, which is plenty, we could focus on adjusting cooldowns on enchants, considering making heavy attack interruptible (that apparently isn't a recognized word, but uninterruptible is), or even considering the weapon damage values to go higher.
    #NoEasyProps
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never did heavy attacks because I simply couldn't stand how slow they were. I hate doing them. It had absolutely nothing to do with my ignoring resource recovery. And now they are forcing them.
    PS4 Pro NA
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need to undo the previous nerf from last year that increased heavy attack time. Dual wield is also much faster at heavy attacking than other melee weapons for whatever unnamed reason.
  • Krileon
    Krileon
    ✭✭✭✭

Well, that's what you're doing wrong then, you can cancel the animation roughly half way through (except for Lightning/Resto channel obviouly, and especially so with )

I don't get it: a 1.7 to 2.5s animation is so long that you get bored watching it, but so short that you don't have enough time to cancel it (roughly) midway through? I'm not talking about milliseconds there. So basically what you want is for the full animation to be shortened so you can do the same dps and have it "feel" faster without any additional input or focus on your part? How is this less boring than the current version, in which improving your execution is actually more rewarding than mindlessly grinding towards your next +0.1% damage node?

Edit: I'm mostly talking about stam weapon weaving there, I'll be the 1st to admit that Fire/Ice destro staff HA are boring, precisely because you HAVE to sit through so much of the full animation before being able to cancel it.

99% of the attacks in this game don't have a channel time and rather quick animations. You throw a heavy attack in there and it's off putting. The entire fluidity of combat is screwed up. I would rather use more skills than have to weave boring heavy attacks. Make heavy attacks twice as quick and I would have no issues with it. You also need to realize only a minority of people do animation cancelling, which was never even supposed to be a thing; it in fact as a bug they decided not to patch. Heavy attacks are boring. They have always been boring. We're going from a skill fluid combat to a boring hold your weapon heavy attacking combat. It sucks.
    H4RDFOX wrote: »

Maybe use light attacks, which can still add damage. I mean, its simple really, unless people are unwilling to use light attacks, and heavy. I have in BG's, and in morrowind. It looks as if people are holding on to the resources unwilling to use their equipped weapons. Maybe instead of being part of the anti-resource nerf group, which is plenty, we could focus on adjusting cooldowns on enchants, considering making heavy attack interruptible (that apparently isn't a recognized word, but uninterruptible is), or even considering the weapon damage values to go higher.

You HAVE to heavy attack to sustain now or lose a metric ton of DPS to mundus and glyph changes. What we should consider is making heavy attacks twice as quick and we're done. Problem solved. They'd be significantly less clunky to use. More people would be enticed to using them. DPS would go up slightly as well. Heavy attacks can be blocked and dodged so there's no need for them to be interrupted.
  • H4RDFOX
    H4RDFOX
    ✭✭✭

99% of the attacks in this game don't have a channel time and rather quick animations. You throw a heavy attack in there and it's off putting. The entire fluidity of combat is screwed up. I would rather use more skills than have to weave boring heavy attacks. Make heavy attacks twice as quick and I would have no issues with it. You also need to realize only a minority of people do animation cancelling, which was never even supposed to be a thing; it in fact as a bug they decided not to patch. Heavy attacks are boring. They have always been boring. We're going from a skill fluid combat to a boring hold your weapon heavy attacking combat. It sucks.
    H4RDFOX wrote: »

You HAVE to heavy attack to sustain now or lose a metric ton of DPS to mundus and glyph changes. What we should consider is making heavy attacks twice as quick and we're done. Problem solved. They'd be significantly less clunky to use. More people would be enticed to using them. DPS would go up slightly as well. Heavy attacks can be blocked and dodged so there's no need for them to be interrupted.

I agree, I think that Heavy attack can get some love. I would also like for the cooldowns to be adjusted for weapon enchants, slightly anyway.
    #NoEasyProps
  • sentientomega
    sentientomega
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'd be wanting heavy attacks to take the same time to charge as the shortest-taking fully-charged one, which I think dw is. 2h heavy attack feels like the slowest...
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You're actually wrong. You have to charge a full heavy attack for the Resource restore.
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • Code2501
    Code2501
    ✭✭✭✭

Heavy Ice, because why not have a 3s channel for a taunt >.<
  • lunalitetempler
    lunalitetempler
    ✭✭✭✭
    So use more regen ?
  • Veg
    Veg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And imagine if your heavy attack restored the wrong resource! oh the horror!

i want to die
    ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
  • santos.vellab16_ESO
    Yeah, I'd be wanting heavy attacks to take the same time to charge as the shortest-taking fully-charged one, which I think dw is. 2h heavy attack feels like the slowest...

We can definitely agree on that. Fwiw, 2H is still faster than Fire/Frost destro (2.2s vs 2.5s for the full animation) and can be cancelled much earlier while still counting as fully-charged.
    You're actually wrong. You have to charge a full heavy attack for the Resource restore.

Depends on the weapon, generally speaking stam weapons can be cancelled earlier and still count as fully charged for that purpose, while staves can't. Obviously in the case of lightning and resto staves, the whole channel needs to complete (3 ticks for resto, 3 ticks + shock pulse for destro).

Edited by santos.vellab16_ESO on May 8, 2017 1:36PM
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. The only weapons that I can stand to do heavy attacks with are bows, lightning staffs and restoration staffs. Heavy attacks with any other weapons are obxnoxiously slow, and make me want to gouge out my own eyeballs.

If this next patch is going to essentially force us to use heavy attacks, then I'm not going to bother.

Edited by SydneyGrey on May 8, 2017 2:03PM
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My suggestion.

1. Reduce heavy attack channel by 30-50%
    2. Increase resource return from heavy attacking by 30-50%.

V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aren't there some magic builds that already weave in heavy attacks as part of their rotation to deal insane damage, while the rest of everyone views heavy attack weaving as a DPS loss? And isn't this update going to buff those already insane magic numbers, or am I mistaken? I've experienced how the new CP system can buff a beginners heavy attack weaving stamina build on the PTS, but haven't tried magicka yet.

The Master At Arms champion line is coming with a 25% cap. Staff expert is growing from 25% to 35% cap. And now everyone will have an incentive to put points into every blue DPS CP tree because of the frontal loading of CPs. A lightning staff heavy attack dips into 5 or 6 CP buffs, and would be getting buffed more than all other things available in the game, wouldn't it? Sounds OP to me since it also gives magicka back.

Second place for getting buffed beyond what we've yet seen would be direct damage channelled DOT skills.
  • rophez_ESO
    rophez_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, I quite enjoy heavy attacks. Much better than spastic rotations that rely on cancelling ESO's broken animations.
  • lunalitetempler
    lunalitetempler
    ✭✭✭✭
    rophez_ESO wrote: »
    Eh, I quite enjoy heavy attacks. Much better than spastic rotations that rely on cancelling ESO's broken animations.

You win the whole forum!
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

@rophez_ESO

The heavy attack meta requires animation canceling to work effectively.

We'll still be doing LA weaving on the back bar and with melee heavy weaving, you still want to cancel the heavy attack animation with an ability.

Not really sure what was "spastic" about the the LA weave meta, either. LA-->ability-->LA-->ability-->LA-->ability-->swap, etc. Fairly low APM and it flowed pretty nicely. It's not like we're playing Starcraft or something here.

One of the things that bugs me the most about this new heavy attack direction is that the entire concept of heavy attacks restoring resources is just fundamentally stupid. It makes no sense. Boxers don't throw haymakers to catch their breath, they pop jabs. I know realism isn't the goal here, but it still bugs me. Why on earth would swinging my giant sword as hard as I can give me stamina back? It's ridiculous.
    Edited by LiquidPony on May 8, 2017 4:01PM
  • HugeMuffin
    HugeMuffin
    ✭✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »

@rophez_ESO

We'll still be doing LA weaving on the back bar and with melee heavy weaving, you still want to cancel the heavy attack animation with an ability.

Not really sure what was "spastic" about the the LA weave meta, either. LA-->ability-->LA-->ability-->LA-->ability-->swap, etc. Fairly low APM and it flowed pretty nicely. It's not like we're playing Starcraft or something here.

LA weaving only looks hard if nobody sits you down and tells you how to practice it. Here's a freebie guide for anybody who has tried to learn weaving and AC only by watching (@alcast has an amazing video on AC, btw):
    1. Get a magicka character in full magicka gear and glyphs. This is for practice and you want to have as much magicka for practice as possible. Blue or Green Magicka food helps too.
    2. On PC, install combat metrics or LUI, or some other addon that lets you count your attacks.
    3. Join a large trading guild or other guild and crash someone's house who has a training dummy available (This is the biggie, having access to a training dummy since you don't have much health)
    4. Equip force pulse and then try to get into the rhythm of casting it every second so you hit global cool down. Get a good rhythm going so that you can cast it as fast as you can but only click the skill once.
    5. Now, let your magicka regen, and start clicking the LA button in rhythm with your force pulse rhythm so that you're getting off a pulse and an LA every second. 1-and-1-and-1-and if you've ever played a musical instrument.
    6. When you're finished with combat, bring up your combat log and count the number of hits from light attack and the number of hits from force pulse, when they're equal, you have it. If they aren't, practice some more.

Once you get a force pulse weave down, you can move on to incorporating block cancels on some buffs, and weave in an LA after casting a ground targeted AOE.

It's very much a rhythm thing and once you get a hang of it, you start doing lots more damage.

I do heavy attack weaving on my stam sorc and it's not nearly as elegant and I'll miss LA weaving an AC when it's sustained out of meta.
    Edited by HugeMuffin on May 8, 2017 4:19PM
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭

@rophez_ESO

I think the light attack meta can be spastic for people like me when it comes to swapping back and forth to reapply 10 second DOTs, while at the same time trying to keep up with the spammable DPS skills, cancelling actions and missing a bunch of light attacks and skill spam in the process.

After seeing my Stam DK DPS grow when I tried the new heavy attack meta, I went back to my stamblade on live to see what would happen with heavy attack weaving on the dual wield bar. I tossed Siphoning Attacks aside and added another dual wield DOT, tossed all the warrior points and saw my DPS grow up to 29kdps from the previous high of 25kdps. I'm hitting every action I want now, easily keeping the DOTs up all the time in a simple rotation. It's more boring, perhaps, but more effective for me. Then I think I could have been doing this much damage all along, lol. The meta isn't for everyone.
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@rophez_ESO

One of the things that bugs me the most about this new heavy attack direction is that the entire concept of heavy attacks restoring resources is just fundamentally stupid. It makes no sense. Boxers don't throw haymakers to catch their breath, they pop jabs. I know realism isn't the goal here, but it still bugs me. Why on earth would swinging my giant sword as hard as I can give me stamina back? It's ridiculous.

Well they had to do something when they nerfed heavies into the ground.

Basically I think the argument isn't that you are swinging as hard as you can, but you are resourcefully winding up and conserving your energy for a solid blow. Versus just hacking away and wearing yourself out.

Heavies could definitely use a shorter cast time, especially compared to the damage they do. A fully specced heavy attack setup still hits for less than Snipe most of the time but has roughly equivalent if not worse cast/animation time.

I really enjoyed the play style of winding up a really powerful heavy attack on my bow, but its really not very useful outside of some limited range in PVP.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • spiiros
    spiiros
    ✭✭✭
    You're not excited to HA half a fight on HM Rahkkat?
  • Dorrino
    Dorrino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My suggestion.

Since people don't like the channel time, i'd rather reduce it, REDUCED the damage and REDUCED the resource return.

So instead of incorporating one heavy each 10 sec, you'd go 3 fast heavies in 3 sec.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My suggestion.

That's something ZoS might do.

And when they do, it' just going to make the whole heavy attack-cancelled dizzying swing-cheap ultimate combination ridiculously OP, especially in light of all the heal nerfs and upcoming defile spamming