The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Increase Furnishing Cap [HOUSING]

• Unsent.Soul
    Unsent.Soul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    peniku8 wrote: »
    I just read this thread and found out that I'm actually just a few items away from the cap, I haven't decorated anything on the inside yet. Sometimes I even ask myself why the devs come up with this. "Hey lets add a tiny item cap to housing so that players can't do what they want to"

Forcing players who want to deck out their houses to ESO +. Gotta sell those subs now since they've lost quite a few, I'd assume with the mentioning of the new chapter/expansion/dlc/spit in the face they've lost some subs since it's almost useless.

Common sense from a business side, plain BS from the consumers side.
  • Sethyss
    Sethyss
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Cannot agree more with increasing the furnishing cap across all houses.

I am about 200k off buying Daggerfall Overlook, and was eagerly completing the 10,000 harvesting achievement so I would have a nice sum of materials to at least start me off on my decorating. However, today I discovered the 700 furnishing limit for ESO+ members, and it has totally killed any enthusiasm I had for buying this place or any other house to be honest.

It simply is not enough to allow for any kind of creativity (e.g. creating your own building from the foundation upwards in the outer courtyard) or even to decorate any of your homes to the same high level of detail that you see in any of the locales throughout the ESO world. I know it would take a long time to collect 700 items, but from prior experience with housing in Wildstar, I already know that 700 items is not nearly enough to pad out a plot the size of Daggerfall Overlook... so why even bother starting.

As it currently stands, you can plump for either a sparsely decorated plot that is going to be structurally a carbon copy of every other single Daggerfall Overlook in the game, or you can portion off huge chunks of your plot (namely the keep) behind big boulders and focus on decorating something smaller with the 700 item limit - which seems like a waste of money for a house that costs close to 4 million gold.

I think I will continue to hang onto my gold like I have done since the start, and wait to see if they increase the furnishing limit to something that will allow players to better replicate the detailed and lived-in buildings you find anywhere across Tamriel.
    Edited by Sethyss on February 25, 2017 11:46AM
  • Apherius
    Apherius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I AGREE ! i've got the " strident source domains " house , i can only add 300 items ... i had to close some room to be able to better decorate the others
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I have never been so much into costumes and all the little tinker and shiny nothing, BUT I really have fun decorating my small domicile (twin arches), gathering mats and blueprints, decorating the gardens etc etc etc.

I really have fun and while I am not spending hours on it I would really really like the item cap to be increased. I've seen so many amazing houses (thanks for sharing the pics, everyone), gardens and architectural novelities - its just awesome. Its not only creative: its ART ... and hence needs and deserves all freedom possible. :smile:
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, explain
    Erinia wrote: »
    So we need much more blueprints of "full with details" furniture, like cabinets with dishes and glasses, bookcases with books, fully decorate with foods and drinks tables, and such kind of thing, and we need Huge increase of limits.

i agree with this part completely. if we can't put books into bookcases with any reliability or ease give us bookcases we can craft with books in them and let us have "argonian shelves" with argonian trinkets and knick knacks on them.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Aethereal'Golden
    Aethereal'Golden
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Even with ESO+ I hardly can decorate all the space in and around my houses. Increasing furnishing cap is obviously a high necessity now. We can buy crown scrolls to learn traits faster (for absurdely high price) - well, why not to make such scrolls for furnishing caps? As an example, 10 free places - 250 crowns?
  • Ghost-Shot
    Ghost-Shot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Acrolas wrote: »
    Anyone who's even briefly studied design has heard the saying, "Less is More."

And it's true. While the limits could be raised a little bit, I'm sure it would just lead to more cluttered designs. And even though you get a cap of 350 in the manors as opposed to 300 in a large house, that's 600 and 700 with ESO+. I've used 300 just outside a house. The double furnishings is an excellent optional perk.

I could see maybe 375/750 on the manor. But you'd have to show me it's for good layout design and not just sky parkour mazes.

What's wrong with that though? You are talking about a game feature that has nearly no practical use, why not let people be creative and clutter their home as much as they want or build something really impressive?
  • Aethereal'Golden
    Aethereal'Golden
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    And collectables...
    Let assistants not to be count as guars and pets!

If you want to place Tythis, you must get rid of your dog or netch? Why?..
  • JWKe
    JWKe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    100 cap too small.
  • makerofthings
    makerofthings
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    This is a must. I purchased fully furnished however I would like to build upon that without worrying if have enough slots.
  • Karmanorway
    Karmanorway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I need more space to finish my Earthtear city
  • Synfaer
    Synfaer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    In an imaginary world, far far away...
    Developers listened to their customers and granted their reasonable desires

Meanwhile in the real world....

Players;
    ZOS, increasing the cap seems a very popular, reasonable desire that would make a lot of your customers happy

ZOS;
    Looks like the demand we envisaged is there guys, now how can we maximize our profit from this?

• altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    lift the caps for housing!!! give us unlimited space!!!
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    "Our internal data shows that less than 3% of all players have maxed out the placement cap, but also only 50% of players have even purchased a house" probably ZOS. So there is no need.
    This is what they said about Guild Banks too... and guess what - with Morrowind the Bank Space was doubled. Less than 3%... with 95% being inactive accounts. Insightful as duck...
    Baranthus wrote: »
    Less is more. Comes down to aesthetics but mostly it's because I think there's 1000s of useful things ZoS could be doing than messing about with housing something that is fluff and not essential...
    Signed - small house owner. The thing is - you'll be fine with 300 items decorating your 15sqm shack/loo. But you won't be fine with 600/700 items decorating your ducking 15000sqm manor+garden.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    "Our internal data shows that less than 3% of all players have maxed out the placement cap, but also only 50% of players have even purchased a house" probably ZOS. So there is no need."

But this very definitely does not mean that the remaining 97% of people have finished decorating their houses within the cap limit !!.

Far from it.....with a cap looming one tends to really slow down and start having to make hard choices about what to place in the remaining few spaces.. I for one haven't reached the cap with any of my properties, but that is because I am taking my time, and absolutely do not want to get to the dreaded stage of not being able to place anything more, leaving unfinished houses that desperately need more stuff in them to make them appear anywhere near complete.
  • Arundo
    Arundo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Baranthus wrote: »
    Less is more. Comes down to aesthetics but mostly it's because I think there's 1000s of useful things ZoS could be doing than messing about with housing something that is fluff and not essential...

Yeah changing a slider will take months. And if you want less is more go ahead noone is forcing you to add the maximum of furniture but for those who do want more it should be possible.
    Aurelle1 wrote: »
    "Our internal data shows that less than 3% of all players have maxed out the placement cap, but also only 50% of players have even purchased a house" probably ZOS. So there is no need."

But this very definitely does not mean that the remaining 97% of people have finished decorating their houses within the cap limit !!.

Far from it.....with a cap looming one tends to really slow down and start having to make hard choices about what to place in the remaining few spaces.. I for one haven't reached the cap with any of my properties, but that is because I am taking my time, and absolutely do not want to get to the dreaded stage of not being able to place anything more, leaving unfinished houses that desperately need more stuff in them to make them appear anywhere near complete.

Yeah same here, I had one house maxed but moved to another house when Morrowind came (the one with the high ceilings) now I havent reach the lower cap then my previous house because I want to have room for the nicer stuff and not the white, green and blue crap. I got my old house filled with stuff I dont want to put in my new house as that would mean I reach the cap and cant put in the special stuff when I earn them.

Those saying we dont need it or ZOS should not put resources on it are being trolls imo. If you dont want to put over 700 items in your house be my guest but dont come here and say you dont need it to spoil it for the others. You have the option to use less we dont have the option to use more at the moment.
    Edited by Arundo on June 15, 2017 8:42AM
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Hell yes!

My main house has 200+ items just in the garden plus I wanted a book room with all the readable books (although in the end I've had to remove about 2/3rds of them to allow enough space to do other things) so by the time I'd done this and made the basement floor of the Ebonheart mansion homely I am pretty much out of items to do the rest of the home up... and I'm not even looking to do flashy building type things like the more creative folks.

I assume there could be some sort of technical limitation on item numbers as I know my garden can take a few seconds to fully load when I port in but at the least it would be nice to have the option to allocate the 80 spaces reserved for Trophies and Busts to be used for normal furnishings if you choose not to use them for dungeon heads.
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • TerraDewBerry
    TerraDewBerry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    We absolutely need significantly more housing item, mount/pet and collectible slots. Not to mention that having an inadequate housing limit potentially impacts ZOS's financial bottom line. Why you ask? Because if people are able to add more items to their houses.. there is still the potential that they will actually buy furniture items from the crown store. If they have hit their cap.. there is much less possibility they will remove an item from their house so they can buy a furniture item from ZOS's crown store. Not impossible, but much less likely.

For the people who think "less is more" they can do that all they want in their house (I could care less what they do in their house). As for me... I think more is more... and I say...

9ZF6VZq.gif
    Edited by TerraDewBerry on June 15, 2017 9:31AM
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Acrolas wrote: »

And it's true. While the limits could be raised a little bit, I'm sure it would just lead to more cluttered designs. And even though you get a cap of 350 in the manors as opposed to 300 in a large house, that's 600 and 700 with ESO+. I've used 300 just outside a house. The double furnishings is an excellent optional perk.

I could see maybe 375/750 on the manor. But you'd have to show me it's for good layout design and not just sky parkour mazes.

Personally I'd just like to add little details. I don't actually own a big house, just small Autumn's gate, but even there...it's not empty by any means, but the amount of details I can add on top of big stuff is extremely limited. A bowl of apples to show I love fruits? -7 slots. A nice big pile of books to show I love reading? -50 slots(it's barely 5 books tall now because no slots :/ ). Mushrooms under trees? Nupe, no slots left. Berry shrubs covering the ground outside? Would be a good 30+ slots because they're pretty small, but no slots again. A plate with some foods(not one pre made but one where I put things myself)? -6 slots, if it's dinner for 2, -12 slots.
    Fill a bookcase with readable books? Skipping the part where it's nigh impossible to do without getting them stuck, that's like -50 more slots.

I actually agree on the clutter, I've seen some really cluttered houses as is and I don't like them, but it doesn't just prevent clutter, it also prevents small personalized touch, making all the places that much more generic. It also prevents some really cool though not "standard" things like that giant hot air balloon someone made or a dueling arena - bet these people have close to 0 space left after this.

Let those who want to clutter their houses and the rest of us be able to add more details to them :p
    Edited by Magdalina on June 15, 2017 7:20PM
  • Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Recently bought Autumns gate as my first actual house. 100 slots? Okay, I think I can fill this place with that. But then I open my housing menu: over 50 slots are already filled with flowers, stones, grass and whatnot. I didn't think those counted, that it was part of the outdoors! Oh well, maybe I can get some change from it.

I wouldn't mind the completely bare garden, so I can fill it up myself, but it would be nice if the smaller items didn't count as 1 item.

Or better yet: Allow to create a small virtual box that you can fill with these small items to your own liking. As per the above example: A bowl filled with apples. Place a bowl in the box, then add the apples, then save it. Now you can add this virtual box where you want and it'll count as 1 furnishing slot. This box doesn't have to be too big, and it would help adding those little things, while not overdoing it with you furnishing cap.

Because lets be honest here: That banana shouldn't possibly take as much space as that huge statue!
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Dracindo wrote: »
    Recently bought Autumns gate as my first actual house. 100 slots? Okay, I think I can fill this place with that. But then I open my housing menu: over 50 slots are already filled with flowers, stones, grass and whatnot. I didn't think those counted, that it was part of the outdoors! Oh well, maybe I can get some change from it.

I wouldn't mind the completely bare garden, so I can fill it up myself, but it would be nice if the smaller items didn't count as 1 item.

Or better yet: Allow to create a small virtual box that you can fill with these small items to your own liking. As per the above example: A bowl filled with apples. Place a bowl in the box, then add the apples, then save it. Now you can add this virtual box where you want and it'll count as 1 furnishing slot. This box doesn't have to be too big, and it would help adding those little things, while not overdoing it with you furnishing cap.

Because lets be honest here: That banana shouldn't possibly take as much space as that huge statue!

Omg this'd be a dream come true x_x The pain of moving every apple separately if I decide to move the desk they were on...

Still not solving book issue though because I imagine that'd prevent them from being readable. They really need to do something with books though, I'd love to fill my place with bookcases but at most I can afford like 20 books total because no slots. If I filled just 2 bookcases fully that'd probaly amount for 100 slots. That's literally ALL the slots you get in Autumn's without ESO+. C'mon now...
    Edited by Magdalina on June 15, 2017 7:19PM
  • reiverx
    reiverx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    The item limit is abysmal, even with ESO+.

Every time you want to add something, you have to sacrifice something.

Heaven forbid I ever have a full bookshelf.
  • MinuitPro
    MinuitPro
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I would love an increase as well. 1000 for a manor seems reasonable.

However, remember... if ZOS gives you more room, you might not buy more houses to dump furnishings - it's a business.

The Overlook Jacuzzi was fun to build... but like others mentioned - it uses at lot of furnishings ... still working on the dock, and the inside is pretty well stocked.

Overlook%20Jacuzzi.jpg?dl=1
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Duiwel wrote: »
    Subs get what? 700 slots in the largest home, correct? Up that to 1000 & I think it would be enough & then just adjust the rest accordingly :wink:

I'd say up it to atleast 3x the Large house imo, cause it costs 3x more to buy a manor than a large house. So about 1800 slots for Manor imo.
  • Tucker3711
    Tucker3711
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Even With ESO plus it would be nice to have more spaces...
    @Tucker311- PC
    Tucker3711
    Nord Beth Rose (EP)
    Imperial Freya Var (DC)
    High Elf Hestia du foyer (AD)
    Wood Elf Epona Caoin (AD)
    Hotstuff Queen
  • Cillion3117
    Cillion3117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    What's this "less is more" argument? If I want to be a hoarder and put 10,000 sweet rolls in my house, i should be able to.
  • S1ipperyJim
    S1ipperyJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    STEVIL wrote: »
    limitations which are frankly fairly liberal

Are we playing the same game? I'm assuming you're just being contrarian at this point, or don't bother with housing.

I hit the cap (ESO+) in Daggerfall Manor a long time ago just with basic aesthetic furnishings and one of each crafting table - I'm not one of these people who creates giant throne sculptures or sky parkour. Now ZOS keep giving us luxury furnishings every week I have no where to put the ones I want and have to use up storage space since they also refuse to increase player storage caps. Very frustrating and unnecessary to have such a limited cap.
  • S1ipperyJim
    S1ipperyJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Totally disagree. As a video game environment artists, I can tell you that one of the key design strategies for medieval environments is heavy use of cluttering. You see it everywhere in modern game environments, especially in tech demos, were normal game limitations do not apply

I imagine there could be an argument for minimalist design in a game like portal but fantasy/medieval settings are at the opposite end of the spectrum
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

I'm a very very very creative person and I've hit the limit without even touching the interior of my manor :( There are just so many ways to fully decorate/create a garden, outside deck, a pool or whatever really..... I wanted a jungle oasis in the middle of a desert... but now i have nowhere to sleep T_T
  • Aethereal'Golden
    Aethereal'Golden
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Agree. I try not to be maniac furnisher, but it is simply *impossible* to decorate Mathiisen manor with only 600 slots. There are SO much space left... Yes, 1000 slots for manors - sounds reasonable.