Cyrodiil Performance Test and Double AP Event

ZOS_BrianWheeler
Hey gang!

As you saw in Matt’s 2017 roadmap, we are making Cyrodiil performance evaluation and fixing a priority this year. We want to make sure that Cyrodiil is a great PvP experience for everyone. Over the last year, we’ve made some good strides towards refining server performance across all campaigns, and we will continue down that path.

When looking into Cyrodiil issues, we definitely see (both in-game and through monitoring) situations where client and server performance degrade significantly when under high load. The small incremental changes we’ve made over the last year have helped, but they alone are not enough. So, we’re going to change our strategy a bit – which is the point of this post.

Simply put, Azura’s Star (the non-Champion Point campaign) runs much better, more efficiently, and is overall a much better PvP experience than the standard campaigns such as Trueflame or Haderus. Now that we’ve had a significant population density in Azura’s Star, we strongly suspect what has been theorized for a long time: Champion Rank passives and abilities are causing too much server load, especially in situations like Keep battles where there are tons of players in one place.

Because of this, we are going to run a series of PvP performance tests, and because it is impossible to simulate PvP load on our internal test servers (or on PTS), we will do this on all live servers on the dates of February 27 – March 6. This is not something we take lightly, and it is important that we evaluate performance when the server is under real-world load situations.

Our first test will be set up as follows:
  • For a period of one week, all Champion Points will be disabled on all Campaigns on all platforms and megaservers
  • During this time, AP gains in all Campaigns will be doubled, both to compensate for lack of CP and also to incentivize players to PvP so we can record as much data as possible
  • Campaign durations and leaderboards will not be adjusted during this week
We encourage all players to continue their PvP activities in their respective Home, Guest, and Friends campaigns – we will be taking feedback and monitoring data on a daily basis during this test, and look forward to reading your constructive posts about server performance during the time of the test.

The results of this test will determine the next course of action for refining Cyrodiil server performance. Thank you for your perseverance and patience – we thoroughly appreciate your time, efforts, and feedback!

Thanks again, and see you in Cyrodiil!

-Wheeler
Edited by ZOS_BrianWheeler on March 6, 2017 3:02PM
Wheeler
ESO PVP Lead:
Cyrodiil, Campaigns, Keeps and Siege, Imperial City, Battlegrounds
Staff Post
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooooh fancy, the double AP will be nice
    Edited by JamieAubrey on February 20, 2017 7:13PM
    -PC/EU/AD-
    CP 700 7/8 Slots Used
    Vex Valentino - CP160 MagSorc - AvA 35[PvP/DD]
    Vex Valentino V - CP160 Magplar [PvE/DD]
    Lady Astrid Silane - CP160 StamBlade [unused]
    Amelie-Hawk-eye - CP160 MagBlade [unused]
    Molag's Right Bal - CP 160 MagDK [unused]
    Molag's Left Bal - CP 160 Storc [unused]
    Tail-or-Swift - CP160 Magplar [Healer/DPS]
    RESERVED FOR WARDEN
    -PC/NA/EP-
    Mav Made Me Come Here - lvl 3 NB

In Game/Twitter DRaGoN_KoBRa
  • jroc699_burr
    sweeet
  • Hexys
    Hexys
    ✭✭✭✭
    Astrum Herois | Daggerfall Covenant | EU-PC
    Zerg Squad | Aldmeri Dominion | EU-PC

DC | AR 50 | Hexys - Magicka Sorcerer (07-08-2016)
    AD | AR 49 | Hexposed - Magicka Sorcerer (27-04-2017)

DC | AR 29 | Hexyles - Stamina Nightblade
    AD | AR 24 | Hȩxys - Stamina Nightblade

Earned over 155.000.000 Alliance Points!

@Hexiss - Youtube Channel - Twitch Channel
  • ChandraNalaar
    ChandraNalaar
    ✭✭✭
    I will be interested to see how this turns out. On the one hand I worked really hard for me cp and I don't want it taken away. On the other hand Cyrodiil performance is so awful that it might be worth it to lose cp in order to play.
  • Yubarius
    Yubarius
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler Thank you so much for telling us this! I think this is a great step forward to fixing performance and am quite pleased at this information, keep up the good stuff ZOS!!
    • Yubarius - Magicka NB - Stormproof - Corporal
    • Banditstam - Stamina sorc - Stormproof - First Sergeant
    • 'Rubick the Grand Magus - Magicka Sorc - Corporal
    • Yubarius - Mag NB mainly for PvE *** - Stormproof
    • Fair Child Tank - Stamina DK
    • Jaruko - Magicka Templar
    • Selthyn Bavailo - Mag DK turned to Stam because Mag DK will never be revived even though it has raygun
    • Yubaria - Stam NB
    • Bandit-The-Great - Stam Temp
    vAA - Cleared
    vHRC - Cleared
    vSO HM - Cleared
    vDSA - Cleared

#RemoveAllProcSets
    #RemoveAOECaps
    #NerfFlowerSpawnInBubbleRNG
    #BuffMagNBPlease
    "In every battle there comes a time when both sides consider themselves beaten, then he who continues the attack wins." - Ulysses S. Grant

• timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler Does this double AP stack with the boss AP bonus?
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Glory
    Glory
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad you decided to look into this. All the server calculations with CP must be brutal on the servers.

Are you willing to talk about the future implications of these tests/changes?
    mDK will rise again.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    Well so one week of not pvping because i´m not going to craft a template for that bullcrap? Nice - do i get my subscription refunded for that time period?

Edit: Do you really think anyone who has a template balanced for CP is going to continue to play? That´s moronic.

Next step after the event will be: no more CP campaigns. Better performance and no difference in CPs. Is not this what we want for PvP?
    Nothing but the best is good enough!
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭
    Koolio wrote: »
    I just spent 2 years getting as much CP as possible to play Pvp. I don't think removing them is a good way to go. Not a good idea.

It's only for a period of one week. This is not a permanent removal, just a week-long test.

One week of no Cp is an insult to my CP rank. It better not be permanent. 2 years of cp grind gone. I don't even PVE. Guess I'll go buy another game hopefully I won't like it and come back. Unless that change stays. Then I'll find something else
  • Takllin
    Takllin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »
    Derra wrote: »
    Well so one week of not pvping because i´m not going to craft a template for that bullcrap? Nice - do i get my subscription refunded for that time period?

Edit: Do you really think anyone who has a template balanced for CP is going to continue to play? That´s moronic.

Next step after the event will be: no more CP campaigns. Better performance and no difference in CPs. Is not this what we want for PvP?

CP are the new Deer 4head
    Jadokis - AD Redguard DK v16 AR 18
    Jàsènn - AD Orc Templar 47 AR 10
    Jessèn - AD Dunmer DK v16 AR 9 - Former Empress of Blackwater Blade

Tekllin - AD Altmer Sorcerer v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Tekklin - AD Bosmer Nightblade v16 AR 12 (Ret.)
    Jasenn - DC Imperial Templar v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Jasènn - DC Orc Sorcerer v16 AR 15 (Ret.)
  • bubbygink
    bubbygink
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad they are doing some testing to improve performance, I can always get behind that. But man, 14.4k AP for taking keeps (assuming you're using the 20% blessing of war passive and it still works during this period) is some crazy overkill. 3.6k AP for resources. That would mean PvDooring a keep and taking its resources would be over 25k AP alone. Over 25k AP for flipping a single keep and its resources without having to do a shred of PvP. Yikes.

@ZOS_BrianWheeler Perhaps consider only doubling AP for kills and not for keep/resource capture.
    Edited by bubbygink on February 20, 2017 7:41PM
  • Psilent
    Psilent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome change Brian!!! Will spend this week testing a new build in Azura's Star!

Undaunted passive don't work in Azura's is that intended or a bug?