The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What is this? Botting, cheating, "legitimate" behaviour?

• STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    STEVIL wrote: »
    driosketch wrote: »
    EvilCroc wrote: »
    I am just curious. If I will read a book or watch tv, while holding right trigger with my finger, will be I recognized as cheater or bot handler?

Why would you do this? Just play the game.

But, to answer your question, there was a person in here not to long ago that claimed they were playing with their toe while watching Netflix, etc. They were banned for botting, I guess.

This is why I say that it is not how you do it, but what you are doing.

So here is the thing.

Every once in a while, i have a char go to a fire and burn down my excess provisioning mats - where i have over 1000 of recipes (1000 click so 4000 portions) that can be cooked that i dont ever use etc - to get them down to 500 and then sell the products at like what 5g each to the vendor. usually can make tens of thousands but it takes a lot of click-click-click-click.

So i have sat here, clicking, while also watching netflix or google or some other stream.

Even then i thought "someone might think i am a bot cuz i have been standing here for an hour just making the ..."

never been banned. Dont expect to ever be.

but if inattention combined with repetition is cause for punishment, they should really look into a "craft multiple" option built into the main game craft UI without add-ons.

I don't know why people feel the need to lawyer the point. I remember during the bot crisis people would come in here and claim, "I'm not botting, I'm farming. I'm capable of being super percise humanly in my route, and I have chat turned off so I won't see your real person check message."

Your finger would cramp if you held the trigger for 8 hours straight, which is what we are talking about here. It's like 2:1 waiting around vs activity, sometimes longer, why would you shoot at nothing when you could give your finger a break? If you're really there you should be aware enough not to stand in the auto fire clump. Also, aren't you going to want to collect the loot as well?

People AFK in front of the bank or craft stations, all the time, there is no external animation of your actions. To be frank, it's not blatant like a group doing heavy staff attacks at an anchor.

i have chat off most days cuz visually impaired so reading it while doing stuff is basically impossible.

So there you go... another notch in the must be a bot report him category.

Do not get me wrong - no love for bots or botting or any of that - i enjoy playing.

But sometimes the cure is worse than the crime esp if witch hunts are involved where "guilt by association" and "if you are standing there its your fault" logic is sufficient to prosecute. most of the time i dont pay any attention to the other PVE players in overland stuff. i have no idea who i am standing beside or how long they have been there.

You also are not firing off a light staff attack once per second for 8 hours straight at a dolmen, without otherwise moving.

But if i am standing in beside a bunch of folks who are and a witch hunter cursors over and sees my character id are they gonna take the time to tell who is who or is it my fault for standing where they have determined guilt by association applies?

I am pretty sure ZOS is not banning people only due to one report. I think they will observe the account and maybe the player and when they happen to do this pretty often, many hours a day, they will get banned. If you're there once or twice I doubt you'll be punished at all.

So if i have nothing to hide i should not fear the witch hunters?

thats so reassuring.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaye63 wrote: »
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    jaye63 wrote: »
    kewl wrote: »
    Botting. Please report each and every player.

reportable as possible but it could just be bored players waiting for the dolmen to spawn. If this were a dance party, no one would even consider it was botting. I've done this with 3-4 other players and it was as I stated... boredom while waiting for the dolmen to spawn. That being said... it COULD be botting.

I don't report the people standing around but the ones constantly spamming staff heavy attack and are stacked at the same spot.

Then I better make sure Im never where you are because I do that while waiting for dolmen to spawn.

For hours?
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

thats so reassuring.
    In such cases where you can't tell visually the GMs should be attempting to message you. If a player fails to respond within X amount of time or after Y messages then you take action. Witch Hunters shouldn't be feared so long as you are legitimately at the game playing it. But if you're automating it and walking away... that's another story.
  • McI
    McI
    ✭✭✭
    This is fairly common unfortunately, and I don't know ZOS official stance on this. In other games I played in the past it is a violation if the person is afk. Either way it is super lame.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Preyfar wrote: »

thats so reassuring.
    In such cases where you can't tell visually the GMs should be attempting to message you. If a player fails to respond within X amount of time or after Y messages then you take action. Witch Hunters shouldn't be feared so long as you are legitimately at the game playing it. But if you're automating it and walking away... that's another story.

All in all sounds like i stop running dolmen quests.

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

"The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preyfar wrote: »

thats so reassuring.

All in all sounds like i stop running dolmen quests.

No you just shouldn't stand were those bots stand and you shouldn't spam mindlessly staff heavy attack for hours without moving.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am just curious. If I will read a book or watch tv, while holding right trigger with my finger, will be I recognized as cheater or bot handler?

But, to answer your question, there was a person in here not to long ago that claimed they were playing with their toe while watching Netflix, etc. They were banned for botting, I guess.

So here is the thing.

Every once in a while, i have a char go to a fire and burn down my excess provisioning mats - where i have over 1000 of recipes (1000 click so 4000 portions) that can be cooked that i dont ever use etc - to get them down to 500 and then sell the products at like what 5g each to the vendor. usually can make tens of thousands but it takes a lot of click-click-click-click.

So i have sat here, clicking, while also watching netflix or google or some other stream.

Even then i thought "someone might think i am a bot cuz i have been standing here for an hour just making the ..."

but if inattention combined with repetition is cause for punishment, they should really look into a "craft multiple" option built into the main game craft UI without add-ons.

I don't know why people feel the need to lawyer the point. I remember during the bot crisis people would come in here and claim, "I'm not botting, I'm farming. I'm capable of being super percise humanly in my route, and I have chat turned off so I won't see your real person check message."

Your finger would cramp if you held the trigger for 8 hours straight, which is what we are talking about here. It's like 2:1 waiting around vs activity, sometimes longer, why would you shoot at nothing when you could give your finger a break? If you're really there you should be aware enough not to stand in the auto fire clump. Also, aren't you going to want to collect the loot as well?

People AFK in front of the bank or craft stations, all the time, there is no external animation of your actions. To be frank, it's not blatant like a group doing heavy staff attacks at an anchor.

i have chat off most days cuz visually impaired so reading it while doing stuff is basically impossible.

Do not get me wrong - no love for bots or botting or any of that - i enjoy playing.

But sometimes the cure is worse than the crime esp if witch hunts are involved where "guilt by association" and "if you are standing there its your fault" logic is sufficient to prosecute. most of the time i dont pay any attention to the other PVE players in overland stuff. i have no idea who i am standing beside or how long they have been there.

You also are not firing off a light staff attack once per second for 8 hours straight at a dolmen, without otherwise moving.

But if i am standing in beside a bunch of folks who are and a witch hunter cursors over and sees my character id are they gonna take the time to tell who is who or is it my fault for standing where they have determined guilt by association applies?

This is what I'm talking about. Why are you trying so hard to look like a bot while claiming you are not botting?
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So here is the thing.

This is what I'm talking about. Why are you trying so hard to look like a bot while claiming you are not botting?

Are you really asking why someone with a ranged weapon would stand in a spot that allows shots at the target but is difficult or impossible for the target to get to?

really?

c'mon?

Obviously if i had nothing to hide i wouldn't be choosing such a position.

Right?

and why dont i check my chat window often enough?

or dance emote?

surely something must be amiss - call the inquisition.

if you dunk a botter underwater is it that if they drown they were innocent or the reverse? i forget.

and surely anyone who posts questioning the witch hunt... they must have something to hide too...

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a witch hunt. It's well known that some people pay for leveling. This is how it's done. ZOS should be able to sniff this out with an algorithm, and not rely on human reports. Gamemasters should be investigating when the algorithm trips an alarm for an area, and aiming ban hammers at offenders. It's not really rocket science.

Having said that, I've played PS4 NA since launch and I have never clapped eyes on a Gamemaster. They're harder to find than Aetherial Dust lol
    Edited by dotme on February 16, 2017 9:48PM
    PS4NA
  • Untidy1
    Untidy1
    ✭✭
    "STEVIL wrote: »
    "Are you really asking why someone with a ranged weapon would stand in a spot that allows shots at the target but is difficult or impossible for the target to get to?

It's fairly obvious you're just being argumentative for no reason. The people who I've reported, and will absolutely continue to report, are just standing in one spot, firing an attack every two seconds at the same spot on the ground without moving. When the dolmen starts up and the action kicks in, they're standing in that same spot firing the same attack every two seconds without moving. When the dolmen ends and the chest spawns, they're standing in the exact same spot firing their attack every two seconds. After everyone's left and gone off to do the next dolmen or something else, those toons are still left standing there on the same spot firing their attack every two seconds. When you pass by there two hours later guess what they're doing? Yes, that's right, they're standing there on the same spot firing their attack every two seconds at the same spot on the ground without moving.

If you're really worried you'll get in trouble because of that one time you stood in a safe spot and fired off a few shots, I don't think you have much to worry about. For one thing, if ZoS were to actually do anything about it, they would make every effort to ensure you're a bot and not just a really brain dead player who just stands in one spot and clicks the attack button every two seconds. For another thing, ZoS won't actually do anything about the bots anyhow, so you're doubly safe. The ones I've seen in Auridon were doing it for at least a day and a half without interruption.
    Edited by Untidy1 on February 16, 2017 9:57PM
  • scorpiodog
    scorpiodog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To The OP:
    Report the players and describe what they are doing.
    The offenders will not disappear right away but in my experience reporting does work after a day or two.

Show me a 10 hour video of this and I'll believe you.

It amazes me how people believe a company is required to believe some lame explanation why they weren't cheating. "Innocent until proven guilty" and "Guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt" only applies to criminal court cases. I remember watching a youtube video of some guy crying and trying to get support of his buddies because he was banned for using an exploit. His excuses were lame and he just couldn't "get it" - that a billion dollar corporation run by adults aren't going to deal with some lame explanations by a lying 25 year old kid even if he is a paying customer.

• Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you arent there playing its against the TOS .. has been said multiple times.
    Formerly @Persian_Princess .. Now @Asgari
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Ariana Kishi | DK | True Liberator of Haderus
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
    Youtube: Asgari
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I've been there again now (it's near midnight in Europe) and there are more bots than this morning. I reported all of them @ZOS_GinaBruno - do you want my new ticket numbers from tonight as well?

Something needs to be done against this asap...

Reporting on console is really tiresome. You can't write an essay what you're reporting. I select cheating and write down “bot“ in the text box, that's it. More you can't do with a controller 10 times in a row.

It's not even that difficult to get these botters. There are 6 servers. ZOS just needs somebody to check those dolmens (especially the first ones in every zone or just take one dolmen, the first one in Auridon) and ban those players asap or at least disconnect them. It's not like there are 100 servers.
    Edited by Seraphayel on February 16, 2017 10:21PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So here is the thing.

Are you really asking why someone with a ranged weapon would stand in a spot that allows shots at the target but is difficult or impossible for the target to get to?

really?

c'mon?

Right?

or dance emote?

if you dunk a botter underwater is it that if they drown they were innocent or the reverse? i forget.

and surely anyone who posts questioning the witch hunt... they must have something to hide too...

***! It's the cops

We doing something wrong?

No

OK so?

It's the cops! ***!

Jesus, you're paranoid.
  • scorpiodog
    scorpiodog
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So here is the thing.

really?

c'mon?

Right?

or dance emote?

Show me video of you pressing only one button for 10 hours straight without alternating fingers or any break of any kind and I might start to see your point.

You see, that's the thing - the botters are just so OBVIOUS I report them just for being so STUPIDLY OBVIOUS. If they actually put some thought into their cheating I might say to myself "ah well, I'm not 100% sure so I won't report this one." But the botters I KNOW are bots are just lazy and stupid - No weapon changes, no movement, no alternating skills ... just heavy or light attacks at exactly the same interval down to the microsecond for hours on end.
  • DragonBound
    DragonBound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG, there's a GM dressed as Sheogorath zapping players with The Wabbajack, laughing insanely as he sends them to the log in screen ...............that I would love to see.

Back in the days of everquest devs would do similar things and create there own items out of thin pixel air, it was awesome they would given give things out to players who where helping others out, man I miss those days, devs would totally be involved in the community.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a thread on the Reddit page were a guy is doing his part to kite enemies over to the bots and get them to engage the AFK toons. I think this is great and we should all do our best to make this a common occurrence. If their efforts are undermined by the community perhaps they will stop, some improvement anyway.
    Back during the Stonefalls instantly respawning jute bug, when every jute node had about half a dozen bots parked at it endlessly spamming the harvest command, I used to pull netches on top of them to AOE them to death. It was great fun, and actually there were a bunch of people doing that.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of months ago a friend and I tried to kite enemies over to the Auridon botters, but they just died too quickly.

One solution would be not to pull the anchor pins, but that would take cooperation from those who are actively playing.

x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017Proud member of the Aetherium Alliance.Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eremith wrote: »
    They are not bots! And it's not a macros-using!
    How can you say so?
    It's just a brick accidentially stuck on the controller's 'fire' button.
    Ankael07 wrote: »
    One thing I want to make it clear is that there is no difference between botting with another program or just holding down a button on your keyboard/gamepad with a rubberband or something. Botting isnt about technology.
    Botting is about robots. Brick on the button is not a robot. ))

Hehe. But you are responsible for your use of bricks as well. ;)
  • 16BitForestCat
    16BitForestCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on if the brick is manufactured manually or with an automation process within a plant. There are billions of brocks on the world and it is hard to produce that much manually. So somewhere in the process of these heavy attacks industroalosation and aome softeare programming is used. I say it is botting.

There may be billions of Brocks in the world, but there is only one true Brock "Led Zeppelin Rocks" Samson. And I'm pretty sure he'd pound these botters into paste if he played ESO.

On-topic: I also saw the Illuvamir botters a few nights ago (NA PC). I was rather surprised; I haven't seen such open botting since the early days. Yes, report all the bots! Even if they're not nicking your chance at reward chests, they're still stealing from your XP gains.
    Edited by 16BitForestCat on February 16, 2017 11:43PM
    PC/NA. Alliance agnostic: all factions suck and should go touch grass together.
    If you ever wonder why certain official fandom spaces are so often toxic, remember: corruption starts from the top.
  • skoomatrait
    skoomatrait
    ✭✭✭
    This is fairly common in the starter area's now.

There are many in PVP running around using the CE again now, so I'd assume ZOS changed something recently that has allowed them to return.

Everytime greedy zenisuks want next budge like best siht of 2xxx they'r changing somethin and then ops 8.5 mln now imagine how many bots among this copies. And when u need help from CS hell no not even a robot reply.
  • Xelrick
    Xelrick
    ✭✭✭
    My feeling many of these bot/rubberband/spawn campers with more than one present are grouped up to maximize XP/Loot gain...

I think those that don't contribute or spamming same move after a set time span without moving, should be not rewarded.

Example case of the shady farming in Sanguine Barrow in Riverspire, group of sorcs set up on a rock while 2 run around and kill rats to create loot for the whole group... like doing some math adding how much in gold they could make combine (group of 12) in a hour is about 300k-500k. This type of farming needs to go.

Now I am fine with group farming, but if people are exploiting the group loot system to get rich in hours by setting up those shady farming then something need to be done to the Group XP/Loot system... so those that are not contributing aren't getting rewarded.

----
    The game need a spam counter for those rubberbanding, like how inactivity works but like it registers that the last 20* commands being the same and it queues the kick logoff for spamming. Old Telnet game I played had that system you get warned at 16, a final warning at 19, and kicked offline at 20. System also made it if you did it 3 times, you get a 24 hour ban.
    Xelrick: "Do not mix chaos with madness. It will only lead to unexplored adventures."
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isnt that just them playing jow they want?
  • BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bots are back and so are my fps. go figure
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So here is the thing.

Nobody would complain about that you do at crafting station as its no way to know and you don't affect anybody.
    Has timed out at them while looking up stuff online and get side tracked.

Idle playing as in killing an re-spawning mob while in chat is ok.

Not clear about keyboard macros for animation canceling or rotation, again in PvE who will complain.
    In PvP its another story as it shows up in combat log from add on.
    Here they are also less effective as its not about max dps over time on boss.

Setting you up to kill enemies for loot or xp while AfK is another issue and very visible.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • AdamskiAlders
    AdamskiAlders
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't even realise this was a thing on consoles but I just checked out that Vukhel Guard Dolmen with an Alt at 4.45am UK/GMT just now and there is at least 15 of them all grouped out spamming heavy attacks and Clannfaers. I don't know if they are all bots or cheats or whatever the correct terminology is(I'm a console gamer unaware of most PC lingo) but they are there. Weird thing is a lot of them don't have actual character names just a jumbled group of random consonants thrown together, a space and then a smaller group of consonants jumbled together as the character's surname.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't even realise this was a thing on consoles but I just checked out that Vukhel Guard Dolmen with an Alt at 4.45am UK/GMT just now and there is at least 15 of them all grouped out spamming heavy attacks and Clannfaers. I don't know if they are all bots or cheats or whatever the correct terminology is(I'm a console gamer unaware of most PC lingo) but they are there. Weird thing is a lot of them don't have actual character names just a jumbled group of random consonants thrown together, a space and then a smaller group of consonants jumbled together as the character's surname.

PS4 NA. They also appear in Camlorn, killing the endless spawn of werewolves. They had gibberish names and new psn accounts. Their levels ranged from 5 to cp 320.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • AdamskiAlders
    AdamskiAlders
    ✭✭✭
    Cadbury wrote: »

PS4 NA. They also appear in Camlorn, killing the endless spawn of werewolves. They had gibberish names and new psn accounts. Their levels ranged from 5 to cp 320.

I should've specified Xbox EU, my bad. You are spot on and that's why I am not quite sure if they were bots or legitimate players as there was a real mix of levels between them from 9 up to CP200+ so I wasn't sure who was there "botting" or who was there maybe just copying the others coz they're low level and not sure what to do.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bots on pc tend to use programs who interfere with the games code, much like skyirm script extender.
    It let the program read game data like enemy position so it can attack them.
    This is not possible on console unless its hacked so you can install your own programs, or if you can hack the pc version of eso to run on console.

An macro is an dumb sequence not getting any input from game, possible on console if its on the controller.
    Rubber banding is simply to lock down one key.

Many characters with stupid names sounds like gold farming.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never ending story, today morning they've been there as well and I am pretty sure they'll be there this evening again. Keep reporting! Maybe we'll win the fight.
    Edited by Seraphayel on February 17, 2017 9:28AM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -