The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What do you do when the DPS sucks in group dungeons?

• usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Equip different gear.

Proceed to solo.
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave the group yourself
    Fungal 2 second boss ties you down, how do you solo? Mazzatune how do you solo when you got green poison?
    If you really a pro, you actually can tell if the group dps will work from attacking 1st group of mobs, you'll know by judging the speed of things die, and you'll know if they can beat the boss down the road.
    Pc na
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    akl77 wrote: »
    Fungal 2 second boss ties you down, how do you solo? Mazzatune how do you solo when you got green poison?
    If you really a pro, you actually can tell if the group dps will work from attacking 1st group of mobs, you'll know by judging the speed of things die, and you'll know if they can beat the boss down the road.

I have seen players who could consistently survive being chained down on the second boss in Fungal Grotto II. I asked him/her how they were doing it but I didn't get a straight answer - just something about using potions. Not sure if the player was BSing me or not because I tried to use potions while chained down and they did squat.

But there are ways to live through that move without killing the add. I have seen it myself.
    Edited by Jeremy on January 23, 2017 12:42AM
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave the group yourself
    Jeremy wrote: »

I have seen players who could consistently survive being chained down on the second boss in Fungal Grotto II. I asked him/her how they were doing it but I didn't get a straight answer - just something about using potions. Not sure if the player was BSing me or not because I tried to use potions while chained down and they did squat.

But there are ways to live through that move without killing the add. I have seen it myself.

On vet?
    Pc na
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On vet?

Aye. On Vet.
  • RedFireDisco
    RedFireDisco
    ✭✭✭✭
    I consider myself a good tank, tons of xp, good build, damage + healing, group buffs etc - But the amount of times I've encountered DouchePS players who expect you to taunt a 20+ mob while they wet noodle a single target was enough to make me take a 6 month hiatus (soon to return).

Time after time I see tanks having to take down bosses solo and healers try but fail to heal the stupid, all the while the DPS's are blaming the aforementioned for their own tardery.

No keks.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I consider myself a good tank, tons of xp, good build, damage + healing, group buffs etc - But the amount of times I've encountered DouchePS players who expect you to taunt a 20+ mob while they wet noodle a single target was enough to make me take a 6 month hiatus (soon to return).

Time after time I see tanks having to take down bosses solo and healers try but fail to heal the stupid, all the while the DPS's are blaming the aforementioned for their own tardery.

No keks.

There was a DPS in my group today who was blaming the tank because the Dreugh King was killing him with its AoE. :)

Edited by Jeremy on January 23, 2017 1:16AM
  • Ironside
    Ironside
    ✭✭✭
    Do nothing and plays on forever
    You think low dps is the only problem you face in a group?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teach them and keeps trying
    Most that do not do well just do not know the mechanics. As long as they can get the mechanics the dps the put out is irrelevant.

It is better for the game, making it better for our personal games, that they do figure out the dungeons.

Ofc, some just are not able to explain to others or need someone with good dps to help carry them so I understand some wanting to leave the group or kick others.

Thing is, I do not need to do GF but do randoms for the challenge, I have never found a group that could not clear a dungeon after the fights were explained to them. It is the reality of the game and those who do not want to deal with it should just leave the group rather than kick those they think are lesser (but probably not).
    Edited by idk on January 23, 2017 2:10AM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave the group yourself
    DPShiro wrote: »
    Vote to kick, if that doesn't work I'll leave. Can't be bothered to waste time on these special snowflake builds and the play how you want disease.

horrible way of thinking.
    i hope i don't have to play with that kind of mind sets in a group i join.
  • Jim_Berry
    Jim_Berry
    ✭✭✭
    I was tanking as Lv16 in a Dungeon as Khajiit Nightblade. In Fungal Grotto II, after many wipes to the boss that chain you to the ground, I would switch to my second bar with my Dual Wield DPS stuff to help. Sad part is, by the third or fourth time, I had to stop, because we had no Templar for Shards, and my Stamina Potions weren't enough.

I would try to talk or type to the group, but when some get snotty because I'm lower level than them, I try once more before I drop myself from the group.

I'm a VERY patient player. Two XP Scrolls expired in ONE dungeon before. I have thing thing where I don't like to bail on others. However, that day as Lv16, I had to. We were dying so much that I began to screw up.
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vote to kick them
    I tried many times to teach, almost always with little to no results. If someone enters WGT without even knowing the absolute basics they just don't give a ***, Today i was in vet ICP, and there was a "dd" With a rotation based on standing in red, barely moving and spamming the mouse button. I can close an eye with easier dungeon and done it many times, but DLC dungeons? No.
  • Jim_Berry
    Jim_Berry
    ✭✭✭
    Stillian wrote: »
    Usually i send a link for some guide on the net with skillbuild pictures, if the guy improves at least a bit we go on, if he starts bitching he is out. Unfortunately most players are really unhappy with pointing out that they deal damage that is closer to zero than to somehting that can be considered damage, and even more unhappy with someone giving them advice, so i guess votekick is a thing that happens most often.

People can train in normal dungeons before they attempt veteran ones.

#Elitism4Life

When tank is not tanking he is kicked, healer is not healing he is kicked, so why when a damage dealer does not deal damage, does not play the role he signed up as, why should this be tolerated?

I like this question for both good and bad reasons.

GOOD:
    As you asked, why ISN'T the lacking dps-player not kicked? I've seen where a low-level DPS was out-damaging a high-level DPS, but the low-level was kicked after many wipes anyway.

BAD:
    There are two DPS in the group: Ranged/AOE, Single-Target. I was in this group as tank, and the Healer wanted to test something after a few trash pulls, so we agreed. The Ranged/AOE person had to attack while the other dps sat back, then the same thing in reverse. I don't see actually see numbers, but you can definitely tell that the high-level AOE person killed his 4 mobs slow while the single-target dps killed noticable faster. That said, people are too quick to kick people. Sometimes, they kick the low-level and later notice that the dps is even lower now.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the question deals with bad DPS I am going to assume mechanics is not the problem. After it becomes obvious finishing isn't going to happen I usually suggest that we give it two more tries and then agree to disband group if we fail. I've had a couple of people reply back why bother we are just wasting time and then leave. Most the time though the group agrees and we give it a go. When we fail I say something along the lines of this group just doesn't have what it takes to get through this. If the other players have been decent through the entire experience I usually invite them to join a social guild I am in. If someone wants to chat about mechanics or something I will stick around for a while and do that.

I've only voted yes to kick a person once. That was after we had finished one pledge and were planning on doing a 2nd. He was our tank and refused to do what he needed to do to get two keys. Wasn't that he couldn't do it, was just he didn't want the keys and wouldn't do it.

Personally I don't like using group finder and being put in a group that has already finished a portion of the dungeon. I assume others also share that dislike so dropping someone and looking for replacements (even if they want to leave) isn't something I like to do. To me we either finish of fail as a group. Either way no hard feelings.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Soafee
    Soafee
    ✭✭✭
    Do nothing and plays on forever
    I've always been the kind of person that will stay even when a group sucks and try as hard as possible to keep them alive. I've always played healers and tanks so I enjoy the challenge. After 10 or so tries though it tends to get sad.. I may leave after we've given it everything we've got and still fail.
    Today is a blessing. Yesterday is in the past and tomorrow is a mystery.
  • caperon
    caperon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I explain the mecanics and do the dps myself. If tank keeps agro and the healer heals, 1 dd is enought for anything other than mazatun and cradle.
    Edited by caperon on January 23, 2017 5:50AM
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Log out
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    carry and ridicule them

it's amazing how lacking in self awareness these people can be
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • Erasure
    Erasure
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly try to help, but my line of no return is the 5k dps heavy attack build. Sometimes I'll carry that, sometimes I won't.
    Enabling Combat Metrics in Group Finder pledges, to the Dark Side leads.
    Edited by Erasure on January 23, 2017 6:37AM
  • azoriangaming
    azoriangaming
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leave the group yourself
    try to teach them and fail miserably, give up and leave the group with a horrible taste in my mouth for the game.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave the group yourself
    Soafee wrote: »
    I've always been the kind of person that will stay even when a group sucks and try as hard as possible to keep them alive. I've always played healers and tanks so I enjoy the challenge. After 10 or so tries though it tends to get sad.. I may leave after we've given it everything we've got and still fail.

now thats awesome.
    you are good people, i hope we meet and become friends someday :)
    good stuff. i wish everyone was that way.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Leave the group yourself
    I only run dungeons with guildies and most of them play for fun instead of dps race. My dps is decent though and run all trials and vet dungeons and almost never had issues.

But if I see dps is lacking and I am part of it I look for a replacement in guildchat and leave myself. Don't want to drag the team down.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Most that do not do well just do not know the mechanics. As long as they can get the mechanics the dps the put out is irrelevant.

I wouldn't say "irrelevant", but yes, most issues with DPS can be attributed to too many people thinking that the only way to do things is to use massive levels of DPS to brute force their way through the mechanics. Sometimes that means they never learned or don't know the mechanics, and other times it means they don't wanna know.

The latter are particularly annoying. :confounded:
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Crawl under the desk and cry myself to sleep.
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I give my tank some dd skills and try to bring down the boss (ever so slowly) along with the others, while keeping the aggro and staying alive.

If it becomes an exercise in frustration, say after a dozen wipes, then I'll leave.
    PC-EU
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If not responsive, vote to kick.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jeremy th e player was probably just wearing Eternal Warrior set or some other tanking set like this one..
    • (2 items) Adds 4% Healing Taken
    • (3 items) Gain Minor Aegis at all times, reducing your damage taken from Dungeon and Trial Monsters by 5%.
    • (4 items) Adds 1064 Max Health
    • (5 items) When you die, you instead turn into a statue for 3 seconds and gain 200 Ultimate. While a statue you are immune to all negative effects but can still be healed. This effect can occur once every 10 minutes.
    • (5 items) Adds 4% Healing Taken
    Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on January 23, 2017 9:23AM
  • Riejael
    Riejael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have an answer to this since I've never seen this come to pass. I mean specifically the damage coming out is too low. That's a double DPS failure and that doesn't happen often.

But I will say this. I've seen both DPS screw up before. Not in damage but in execution. If its causing wipes I'll tell the tank (I'm usually healing) to hold up and then ask the DPS what's going on. And I make sure to ask them individually. If you just type in group, "Hey, what's the problem?" They're going to stay silent.

However if you ask them by name, they usually speak up since now they're on the spot. But make sure you don't do so in an accusatory manner either. Like in Wayrest sewers, the DPS one time were not accessing the altars when the boss targeted me. It caused me to die which caused the rest to go down eventually.

So I asked each DPS what was going on (they knew the fight, it was explained beforehand). One left and the other said he was having trouble identifying the effect. No biggie, the replacement knew what to do, and the guy who stayed learned the fight and we took down the boss in the next attempt.

The ones I hate are the DPS who go at it against each other. One screws up and usually tries to blame the other who seems 'new'. Derp doesn't realize the healer is watching his screw ups, and has no qualm about calling out their BS.
  • Yuukir_MapleBeaver
    Yuukir_MapleBeaver
    ✭✭✭
    Vote to kick them
    I laugh at people who whine about the "toxicity" of wanting to kick someone who is too lazy to learn how to play their class and end up wasting people's limited available play time because of it. To me, incompetence and laziness is way more "toxic" than wanting to have both your DDs to have a higher combined dps than you as a tank.

Over half of the solo vet groups i join, I outdps the DDs as the tank, which one would think should only happen once a year at most.

So yeah, if given the chance, i'll finish all 3 daily pledges instead of trying to teach someone how to push buttons on a keyboard and having to go sleep before I can finish one.

On a more positive note, a much higher % of healers are doing decently well and actually trying to improve and communicate with the team.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Never do pledges with bad dps.