The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What do you do when the DPS sucks in group dungeons?

• HatchetHaro
    HatchetHaro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask them to leave
    Unfortunately, bad damage isn't exactly easily fixed by telling them what to do; most likely they have sub-par gear and have the wrong skills unlocked, something that really cannot be fixed by a simple playstyle change. It would require a complete revamp of their gear and abilities.

Generally I would just tank better and just chisel away at the boss's health, but there are quite a few bosses that actually require decent dps. If the dungeon doesn't contain dps checks, sure, I'll teach them and press on. This is only viable for certain easier dungeons.

On the harder dungeons where it's apparent the low dps is a barrier to our progress, I would just ask them to leave, but not before giving them tips and pointers on how to deal more damage.

If they don't want to leave, I'll kick them. I still want to finish this dungeon and their incompetence is of no fault of mine.
    Edited by HatchetHaro on January 22, 2017 3:22PM
    Best Argonian NA and I will fight anyone for it

17 Argonians

6x IR, 6x GH, 7x TTT, 4x GS, 4x DB, 1x PB, 3x SBS, 1x Unchained
  • Ozstryker
    Ozstryker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I carry on for at least 10 mins. Gotta give people a chance I think, they could be lagging, they could be distracted, there are sometimes extenuating circumstances at the start of a pug run.... roll with it instead of being snippy and impatient! it may be that things work out.. If the group is still coming up short, then at least the cool down not as bad as if u rage quit at the beginning!

But... Kicking anyone from a pug run cos u don't believe their level is high enough is just dumb.. Holding up progress cos u need to whine at others lack of dps, healing, tanking etc makes u the ***, be pro active, or leave!!!
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    try to teach the low dps players, but if we are not able to beat a boss on 5 - 6 attempts, tell the group that we do not have enought dps and leave the group

if the rest of the group is performing well and there is just one players with too low dps, it is still possible, but it has happened to me more times, that the total group dps was just not enought....
  • Bandit1215
    Bandit1215
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    I try and give useful advice so they can do better, but if they hit me with the "Shut up, it's play how i want so i will", then it's an automatic kick.
    CP 561
    • vSO HM - Completed
    • vAA - Completed
    • vHRC - Completed

• LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Bandit1215 wrote: »
    "Shut up, it's play how i want so i will"

Oh well, those types... :D
    If their chars would be half as tough as they're acting, even vet MoL hardmode would be a cakewalk.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Leave the group yourself
    Usually the bad DPS player is already loudly blaming everyone else in the group for wiping anyway, and it just goes downhill from there.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teach them and keeps trying
    Or just power through, depends.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vote to kick them
    Kick.

Sad fact of the matter is that the tollerence for low DPS in dungeons died with the One Tamriel update and the changes to Mob resistance. Not only am I improving dungeon time, I'm helping them learn a valuable lesson: Play how you want is an illusion. Find something that works or dont play.
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Curl up in the corner and cry over my own shortcomings.
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whisper hate to them
    Am I the only one here thinking with logic?
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
  • Florial
    Florial
    ✭✭✭
    Do nothing and plays on forever
    Play on, even if it takes a long time. If the run will be impossible to finish though, I will politely excuse myself.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    The group dungeons i am doing i could solo. The other players are just a bonus. A bad DPS will make the run take a little longer, but it's no big deal. Hopefully he will learn something in the process.
  • Ghettokid
    Ghettokid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    If dps sucks, first thing I do is to send her friend request. I start chatting with her, and play with her every day. I ask her mobile number and start chatting in wa. I keep talking with her for 1 month and then travel to meet her irl. After meeting her few times I ask her to move together with me. I introduce her to my parents and also meet her parents. After 6months of living together I propose her. When we have been married for 2years we get our first child. After that I buy us dog and we move to new big house. Then one day I say I go to shop but I will never return home.

Works everytime.
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Buckle up and put them on my shoulders.

I chose Other, because all your premade answers seem to be leaning in the same direction, making it very unbiased. Usually I don't really mind if the DPS in a group is low, I think that if it's enough to make you leave a group, then you probably shouldn't be getting yourself into situations where such an outcome might happen, i.e. don't pug.
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • Troneon
    Troneon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Play a magpugplar with so much heals and damage / support you can carry any crappy pug through any group content...

Challenge Accepted! :D
    PC EU AD
    Master Crafter - Anything you need!!
    High Elf Magicka Templar Healer/DPS/Tank
    Trials / Dungeons / PVP / Everything
  • Sinthrax
    Sinthrax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vote to kick them
    I dont mind teaching people if they already have an idea of what skills to use and such. But when you have DPS using a healing staff..no way. I didnt even start the vote to kick on this guy but was glad to help send him on his way.
  • Dev
    Dev
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    You might as well get used to it because ZOS is hell bent on lowering everyone's dps to the same level that those 'bad dps' are putting out today. say goodbye to 25-50k dps, and embrace your 15-20k max allowed.

Based on lamberts post: They are raising the floor, so all the scrub dps with their 10k rotations will get a free 3-5k dps, and all the players who put in the effort and time will be reduced to 20k max dps. The ability to have complex rotations are being reduced, to 'simplify' the game, which just really means that the next rotation will be a press 1 2 3 type, just like wow.

The funniest part will be that everyone will think that this is just some troll post or me being cynical, when this is exactly what lambert said, just without the numbers as example.

Hope you all liked wow, cause thats where this game is going. The ironic part is that Zos is targeting the version of wow that was after the lich king/vanilla 'golden days' and will be attempting to clone the portion where blizzard lost millions of players.

ESO is like a car wreck, you dont want to have any part of it, but just cant look away because the carnage is so funny.
  • Vulsahdaal
    Vulsahdaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not the type that gives up too easily, so I will keep trying to teach them through suggestions.
    In a rare case where I really believe it to be hopeless, I will suggest that we restart the dungeon in normal mode so we can ALL get a better feel of the mechanics and how to handle them so we'll be more prepared for vet next time. I will say 'ALL' even if its just one or two players that are sub-par, I would never single a player out from the rest of the group telling him in so many words 'you suck' or kick him for this reason.
    If his DPS is really that bad, chances are he already has figured that out along with the rest of us and is just as frustrated as we are. I dont see how leaving, kicking or hate whispers will help the situation? If anything I think it just makes it worse :(
    There were 2 times though (in pugs) where I was not the one who initiated a vote to remove a low dps. Both times I try to whisper to person holding vote, and they were insistant, so I gave them the vote they wanted, then I immediately left them to group up with the kicked dps and we did a normal version with more tolerant people. It was a lot more fun then we were having in the 1st dungeon and made new friends from it as well.
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave the group yourself
    Am I the only one here thinking with logic?

Then it'll spark a whisper hate fight back and forth.

For me I usually just leave the group and sometimes I'll tell the group that DPS is lacking and won't get through that fungal 2 second boss, cos dps can't free the person tied down, and goes on forever. Then I get whisper hate from the DPS non stop, then I had to block them. Next time I'll leave without saying why.
    Pc na
  • Bigevilpeter
    Bigevilpeter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Leave the group yourself
    The teach them and keep trying are the biggest percentage in this poll though I have yet to actually see them in the game.

I'm honest if i find there is no hope or things will go excruciatingly slow I say sorry this isn't going to work and leave
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    DPS it harder lol. There is no such dungeon that 30k DPS won't beat. And since if the heals and tank are fantastic as you said. I wouldn't have to worry about healing or running. And am free to do DPS. And I can get over 30k in those conditions. I will see if the other guy can be helped but mostly who cares.
  • TheUrbanWizard
    TheUrbanWizard
    ✭✭✭✭
    617 cp DD and I have no idea if my dps is good or bad - xbox

I have a strict rotation, it works for me, don't play meta, never been kicked, so as to what others think? Meh I DONT CARE
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Leave the group yourself
    Be interesting to know by whose measuring stick are the healer and tank doing a great job and the DPS sucks?

The main times I see DPS as an issue is in fights like Grollub and the next mob fight in Darkshade 2 where the DPS only has single target attacks and you need AOE attacks.

In most single target boss fights, unless people keep dying when they shouldn't, bad DPS only leads to a longer fight. I don't have an issue with this and if I did I'd stop using group finder.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vote to kick them
    Depends on the dungeon. Normals and level I vets are easily soloable, so no reason to kick anyone.

If it's a vet level II or DLC dungeon, I will vote kick the player. If that fails, I will leave. No point in wasting time and pots on a lost cause.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on January 22, 2017 10:39PM
  • nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Do all the damage myself, heal myself, face tank the bosses and walk away a winner while berating the pugs for not improving themselves because that is what elite players do. If it is a DLC or trial run I have a rule for that. Don't pug trials or DLC content with people you don't know.

I do all my own stunts as well.
    I didn't choose tank life, tank life chose me.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave the group yourself
    I leave if it's that serious of an issue,I'll carry a guild mate. No PUGs
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When I'm in a dungeon the DPS is never bad. :sunglasses:
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    akl77 wrote: »
    The healer and tank are awesome, but your group's dps sucks bad and can't beat the boss with the dps output, what do you do?

Example: vet fungal 2 2nd boss, cradle, Mazzatun, icp, coa 2, darkshade 2 2nd last boss, etc.

There is no single answer for me. I would have to choose several of them.

There is a few examples of where slow DPS can actually halt a group's progress. But not many. It is usually just that the player wanting to kick is just impatient or spoiled. But you did point out several realistic situations where bad DPS can become a serious problem.

Typically I keep my mouth shut on the first attempt. On the second attempt I will offer any advice about the fight if I believe it might help. On the third attempt I keep my mouth shut.

If it looks hopeless after the 3rd attempt I will usually bow out - unless I have put a lot of time and effort into the dungeon already.
    Edited by Jeremy on January 23, 2017 12:22AM
  • FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Usually I give advice if we cant get a boss down. If nothing improves I leave the group.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an example from my Guild's past attempt in Vet Wayrest Sewers.

We made it through the Dungeon fine as fine is, well and dandy, but we started to wipe over and over on the final boss, and our gear breaking more and more with each wipe wasn't helping. So we took a five minute breather thinking of how could we go about this fight differently? We switched out some skills and changed our approach. In the end the problem was those shadow bat things the boss spawned every so often, we couldn't defeat them all in time before the boss came back and we were getting overwhelmed. But a few extra AoE skills on our bars and the fight went completely different and we succeeded in the end.

tl;dr, give your group a few minutes to discuss strategy, instead of angrily hitting the kick button.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!