The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should dueling be moved out of town?

Devlin69
Devlin69
✭✭✭

I see a lot of people asking for duels to be moved out of town because it is disrupting the peace.

Personally this does not bother me, it provides some light entertainment too.

If you take it out of towns there will be less duels because there are no random people around to ask.

And no I am not a dueler, I haven't had one duel yet so that is not the reason I am OK with it.
Edited by Devlin69 on October 10, 2016 9:04AM

Should dueling be moved out of town? 142 votes

Move dueling out of town
48%
NestorGilvothKasEnodocLava_CroftMurrayJnranitajoneb17_ESOheledironmerovignub17_ESOqiyamatawilrwb17_ESOsparafucilsarwb17_ESOTarrinAldia_of_DrangleicNorterrySynfaerCraalAshtarisCouslyDarkheartfrog42 69 votes
Leave it as it is
51%
MorbashVividMindMojmirBigBragglolo_01b16_ESOWolfhammerDarlonMisaKnootewootValen_ByteMalmaiAzraelKriegAbobKhyraslonewolf26jarydfValencerLingCherryblossomtonemd 73 votes
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leave it as it is
    Gives the towns some added liveliness. Besides, at least the particles because shot around are actually meaningful instead of just from boredom.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    Leave it as it is
    Even though I voted as I did I would like to see duelling arena's where I can go sit n watch and maybe place a wager on the outcome of fights.. Decent gold sink as well.
    Wolfhammer - Templar serving the Alith guild on EU
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it as it is
    Currently you see a lot because its a novelty, once the novelty wears off you will see less and guilds and people will go else where.
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it as it is
    However.

Tight enclosed spaces it should be restricted. So inside Elden Root is okay, but in the bank at Rawl'Kha not possible.
    PvP Defensive Set Comparison
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
    - build and gamplay!
    ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
    - build and gamplay!
    Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move dueling out of town
    It is highly disruptive for anyone who's crafting/trading/socializing/managing inventory, etc...
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move dueling out of town
    Arenas only, pls stop dueling around wayshrines.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it as it is
    More bar fights please!
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • VividMind
    VividMind
    ✭✭✭
    Leave it as it is
    More bar fights please!

YES DUDE YESSSSS that fr sounds awesome i was asking my friend we should find a place to duel in cities but you gave me THE IDEA HELL YEA DUDE YESS!
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dont care about it :P
  • aLi3nZ
    aLi3nZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leave it as it is
    I am just pretty damn happy there was dueling added. I have had quite a lot of fun with it already.
  • cravnbeer
    cravnbeer
    ✭✭✭
    Move dueling out of town
    I think dueling in a city should be a criminal act. Allow people to still duel within the city but add the risk of getting fined and attacked by guards.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Leave it as it is
    I don't see how it is disruptive for anyone who's crafting/trading/socializing/managing inventory, etc...

When I perform any of the above myself, it totally does not interrupt any of my activities. I can still craft when people dueling. I hear some weird noises but who cares.

Dueling should not be restricted out of town imho.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move dueling out of town
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    I don't see how it is disruptive for anyone who's crafting/trading/socializing/managing inventory, etc...

When I perform any of the above myself, it totally does not interrupt any of my activities. I can still craft when people dueling. I hear some weird noises but who cares.

Dueling should not be restricted out of town imho.

Wherever I am, if I hear loud noises behind my back and see flashing lights, let alone feel the earth shivering under my feet, I interrupt whatever I am doing to turn around and see what's going on. I have the same reaction IRL and in a virtual environment.
    Sure, technically it is possible to "shut down my mind", ignore the environment and carry on. The problem is, shutting myself out of the environment is the exact opposite of what I'm seeking by playing such a game : drown in it. Immersion, you know ?

Besides, the "look at me I'm duelling" attitude is not pleasant.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on October 10, 2016 9:58AM
  • Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move dueling out of town
    All skills should be disabled within cities. Way too much fps drop, especially when you port to Rawl'sha and there are maniacs duelling or spamming pointless skill.

Could be my end but I know several people with different specs and same issue. Duels got a place and time, lorewise two people brawling within the city would be arrested by the guards. Duel on the outskirts or somethings.

- A person who enjoys dueling.
  • AndyTGD
    AndyTGD
    ✭✭✭
    Leave it as it is
    Its funny how some folks are suddenly concerned about this, when for years we've had people pointlessly spamming wayshrines and town centers with arrow barrages and a variety of solar flare effects. It'll naturally calm down as people grow accustomed to the new duelling feature.
  • Khyras
    Khyras
    ✭✭✭
    Leave it as it is
    We finally managed to get dueling and you wanna restrict it because of some idiotic reasons like fps drop or you dont like sound of fighting? Get a better comp or turn the sound off if it bothers you, people who enjoy dueling are not second class citizens who you can just kick out of town because you are annoyed by their presence.
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it as it is
    Cously wrote: »
    All skills should be disabled within cities. Way too much fps drop, especially when you port to Rawl'sha and there are maniacs duelling or spamming pointless skill.

Could be my end but I know several people with different specs and same issue. Duels got a place and time, lorewise two people brawling within the city would be arrested by the guards. Duel on the outskirts or somethings.

- A person who enjoys dueling.

No.

You cannot expect people to leave a city (away from their bank with all their gear) to test what their buffed stats look like, terrible, please no.
    PvP Defensive Set Comparison
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
    - build and gamplay!
    ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
    - build and gamplay!
    Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• NovaShadow
    NovaShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move dueling out of town
    At the very least ban it inside houses/banks/taverns/etc.

I know it'll calm down but when you port to a shrine and there's a bunch of people dueling right there plus all the idiots spamming skills on air. It's impossible to move without a slideshow.
    PC NA - EPHS
  • Kas
    Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move dueling out of town
    love duelling, duelled a lot already (even got the title), and i did so in towns.

that said, I would have preferred some place with less clutter. At times I ran aroudn almost blind, only relying on the red color because there were about 5+ duels in the exact same spot in rawl'ka taking place inside each other.
    @bbu - AD/EU
    Kasiia - Templar (AR46)
    Kasiir Aberion - Sorc (AR38)
    Dr Kastafari - Warden (~AR31)
    + many others
  • AuldWolf
    AuldWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move dueling out of town
    What you have to look at is this...

Most PvP people are going to be lovely, respectful, considerate people who won't actually duel in town. They understand that it ruins immersion, it causes lag, it can destroy RP events, and it's an annoyance to people who're crafting or at banks. These real PvPers won't actually be duelling in towns. What you have are trolling groups who''re actually organising to purposefully duel at these locations just to harass people. If they can't control themselves, then it's up to ZOS to control them.

I've proposed a system for hiding duels many times, and it would solve the problem. Essentially, have a 'Hide Duels' option under Social. What happens if this is toggled on is that whenever two people initiate a duel, they fade out as if they're logging off. You won't see their duel, the graphics, the sounds, or anything about it. And when their duel is done, they'll fade back in. This will defang the kind of trolls who're causing the problems resulting in these threads, whilst giving actual PvP people peace of mind.

The best way to deal with this is to implement the Hide Duels option.

Edit: Look at Cously a few posts up. That's a PvPer. That's a real PvPer, not an Internet troll parading as a PvPer just to cause strife and upset people. Real PvPers are going to be supportive of us, they don't want to disrupt people and cause strife. They don't want to be responsible for things like lag, ruined roleplay/immersion, annoyances when banking/crafting, and so on. They're good people. They're not the problem.

[Edit to remove insulting content, and derailing content]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on October 12, 2016 12:34AM
  • AuldWolf
    AuldWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move dueling out of town
    Taylor_MB wrote: »
    You cannot expect people to leave a city (away from their bank with all their gear) to test what their buffed stats look like, terrible, please no.

So add training halls next to the banks where people can do this in peace without disrupting anyone.

[Edit to remove insulting content]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on October 12, 2016 12:29AM
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Leave it as it is
    Having no fights in town would break my immersion :wink:
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leave it as it is
    LOL at all the people who think the duelers are doing it just to annoy you. Not because they finally got a long-requested feature or that they are having fun. Not because they are dueling where there are people to duel because well, there are people to duel there. Nope, it's all about YOU. That's right, they aren't looking at the person they are fighting at all, they are using skills that are deliberately flashy and annoying... oh wait, that's not the people engaged in a duel.

Or that the duelers, many of them with high alliance ranks and former emp titles aren't "real pvpers" because they aren't running with a zerg blob or left clicking their siege at the moment? Newsflash: PvPers find fighting other players fun. That's why they call it player versus player.

I do not support a hide duels option because it would be a lot of work for what is ultimately a short term problem; one that is likely to fade before any such option arrived in the next update. I do wish ZOS had implemented some sort of fighting pit or training area in/near towns to encourage duelers to congregate in one place while still being somewhere populated and with services. It's a win-win for both players who want to duel and those that hate them. And since it's mostly art assets and not back-end programming, should be faster to complete and test as well.

If Rawl'kha is a laggy mess (and it was a mess long before One Tamriel), and your computer can't handle it, I suggest moving to Mournhold, which is also fairly compact but the current dueling spot is outside the city walls and away from sensitive eyes.
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move dueling out of town
    NBrookus wrote: »
    LOL at all the people who think the duelers are doing it just to annoy you. Not because they finally got a long-requested feature or that they are having fun. Not because they are dueling where there are people to duel because well, there are people to duel there. Nope, it's all about YOU. That's right, they aren't looking at the person they are fighting at all, they are using skills that are deliberately flashy and annoying... oh wait, that's not the people engaged in a duel.

Or that the duelers, many of them with high alliance ranks and former emp titles aren't "real pvpers" because they aren't running with a zerg blob or left clicking their siege at the moment? Newsflash: PvPers find fighting other players fun. That's why they call it player versus player.

I do not support a hide duels option because it would be a lot of work for what is ultimately a short term problem; one that is likely to fade before any such option arrived in the next update. I do wish ZOS had implemented some sort of fighting pit or training area in/near towns to encourage duelers to congregate in one place while still being somewhere populated and with services. It's a win-win for both players who want to duel and those that hate them. And since it's mostly art assets and not back-end programming, should be faster to complete and test as well.

If Rawl'kha is a laggy mess (and it was a mess long before One Tamriel), and your computer can't handle it, I suggest moving to Mournhold, which is also fairly compact but the current dueling spot is outside the city walls and away from sensitive eyes.

Hm, curious how there it's possible to do this, not however in other towns... :wink:
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leave it as it is
    Kelces wrote: »

Hm, curious how there it's possible to do this, not however in other towns... :wink:

Because there's a nice empty spot right there in Mournhold with lots of traffic going by to and from the Undaunted Enclave, and that doesn't exist in Rawl'kha. The only flatish open spots are around the Fighter's Guild. I was dueling on the island in the river right next to Rawl'kha last night and even though we were very close by, we were totally out of sight and no new people came to join. When housing comes out, there will be more traffic moving down that way, so maybe then it'll become a more usable spot.

Of course then people will just complain duelers are ruining their view of the river. :/
  • tonemd
    tonemd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leave it as it is
    AuldWolf wrote: »
    What you have to look at is this...

Most PvP people are going to be lovely, respectful, considerate people who won't actually duel in town. They understand that it ruins immersion, it causes lag, it can destroy RP events, and it's an annoyance to people who're crafting or at banks. These real PvPers won't actually be duelling in towns. What you have are trolling groups who''re actually organising to purposefully duel at these locations just to harass people. If they can't control themselves, then it's up to ZOS to control them...

Interesting.

RPers and Duelists are two sides of the same coin. Not every PVE player is and RPer. Not every PVP player is a duelist. But both of these subsets can be both amusing and annoying. Duelist fill up your screen with running around and effects crap. RPers fill up local chat with nonsense (they also sometimes spew effects all over the screen). Both can be mitigated by just leaving the area.

As such, leave dueling alone. I'd rather have it in Rawl kha and Wayrest than Cyrodiil any day. (Same with RPers)
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move dueling out of town

Because there's a nice empty spot right there in Mournhold with lots of traffic going by to and from the Undaunted Enclave, and that doesn't exist in Rawl'kha. The only flatish open spots are around the Fighter's Guild. I was dueling on the island in the river right next to Rawl'kha last night and even though we were very close by, we were totally out of sight and no new people came to join. When housing comes out, there will be more traffic moving down that way, so maybe then it'll become a more usable spot.

Of course then people will just complain duelers are ruining their view of the river. :/

My point is, that if some people manage it and are not bothered in terms of restriction, why not everywhere? Maybe because RP is even worse?

There is no reason to stay in cities, because as has been mentioned before, same as is being told to other people: "Get out of town." Seriously? So everybody else, other than duelists should step aside in this matter? How polite...
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • Candivino
    Candivino
    Leave it as it is
    Leave it, you can turn it off and ignore it.
    Candivino:Veteran Magicka Sorcerer
    Rellidore Dulac:Low-level Stamina Dragonknight
    Aldmeri Dominon, forever and always
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it as it is

My point is, that if some people manage it and are not bothered in terms of restriction, why not everywhere? Maybe because RP is even worse?

There is no reason to stay in cities, because as has been mentioned before, same as is being told to other people: "Get out of town." Seriously? So everybody else, other than duelists should step aside in this matter? How polite...

I RP and dueling has NOT impacted me what so very ever. It's probably made my experience more enjoyable because I tire of endlessly typing walls of text just to perform an action. If I wanted to dice roll, I'd play a tabletop campaign. If I'm RPing and I want to get into a fistfight with a friend, you bet your bottom I'm going to do that because I paid into the game too.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • Judas Helviaryn
    Judas Helviaryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I RP and dueling has NOT impacted me what so very ever. It's probably made my experience more enjoyable because I tire of endlessly typing walls of text just to perform an action. If I wanted to dice roll, I'd play a tabletop campaign. If I'm RPing and I want to get into a fistfight with a friend, you bet your bottom I'm going to do that because I paid into the game too.

Exactly this. Every single one of us paid for this game. The people who want duelists to stay out of the cities are the same people who will complain when you're not roleplaying in their designated RP area. Roleplayers used to have a horrible reputation for reporting, successfully I might add, people for the slightest interruption during their events. They're always going to be here, and they will never be happy so long as they don't have full control over the environment they're in. We call that a 'control freak'.

If you don't like seeing people duel in a city, you're free to leave the city. It's a public space, equally accessible to everyone who has paid into the game, and nobody can claim it over anyone else.