The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Poll: Have you cancelled ESO+ because of Crown Crates

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I won't be cancelling.
    Why on earth should i cancel my subscription because of a feature that i can simply ignore?
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [double post, thank you internet lag]
    Edited by Sharee on September 28, 2016 7:15AM
  • Neowit
    Neowit
    ✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    Neowit wrote: »
    Bowser wrote: »
    I honestly have no idea why people have such a big problem with crowncrates ._.

I don't get it either. If you don't like the crown crates, then don't buy them.

They play on addiction. It's just a concept that lacks integrity. From a company which can't produce a functional game for the people being played.

By that logic the whole game is a scam as literally everything apart from player created content is a giant carrot on a stick.

Also what addiction? Getting every costume and mount in the game? I´d argue it´s cheaper with rgn crates than with having to by everything by itself - simply bc they´re able to eliminate risk of creating items nobody wants.

A mmorpg is by default a carrot on a stick operation. But until now there were no carrots you had to pay a rapidly recurring fee to chase. And at least these other "carrots" were actual, playable content until now. This is lazy content, which just presses on the buyer's desire to win the jackpot. It's the difference between paying $80 to retain membership in a sports team, and blowing $80 at a slot machine.

As for your second point: yes. Addiction is irrational. Whatever the odds are, however trivial the objective, that doesn't change the fact that it's addiction.
    Edited by Neowit on September 28, 2016 7:31AM
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, I have cancelled my ESO+ subscription because of the crown crates.
    g1dTrxo.jpg
    Edited by silvereyes on September 28, 2016 7:48AM
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not yet, but I will cancel in protest of the crown crates.
    Already turned off auto-renewal on my PS4 subscriptions.
    Edited by acw37162 on September 28, 2016 7:31AM
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not yet, but I will cancel in protest of the crown crates.
    Duplicate
    Edited by acw37162 on September 28, 2016 7:30AM
  • kwisatz
    kwisatz
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...I just wont buy any.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JimT722 wrote: »

Have you played a game with rng crates? I have played many. Production of dlc becomes non existent, new items that are desired end up in the crates, and future content (housing in SWTOR as an example) is not enjoyable because of the crates.

Not to mention it is a disrespectful practice to rip off their customers. it might be a crazy concept for some, but people would rather purchase things with a fixed price.

I´ve played swtor extensively and it´s the main reason why i don´t get it. It was purely cosmetic and had no impact on gameplay whatsoever.

Role players like to buy items that fit a theme they have for their characters. For example my Argonian would want housing items that had an Argonian theme. Everything from my characters name, the mounts he rides, the attire he wears has a point. These won't damage the game from a gameplay perspective, but for many it will ruin their fun.

We all play for different reasons and this will ruin the fun for many players like myself. Style parlor appears to be mainly in the box and I was looking forward to that when I tested it in July. Planned a character around it.

But that´s exactly the point. Rgn crates enable them to produce a lot more niche stuff backed up by the rare 1337 items everyone wants to have and is buying crates for.

While rgn is not a desireable mechanic for an individual in that case it enables the content designers to "cross finance" niche items that would otherwise never find their way into the crownstore in the first place because there would not be enough people buying them.

Edit: I really think that crates are sort of a scam for a person who only wants the superrare flashy mount found in 1 out of 100 crates. For the person desiring a lot of lore/roleplay items they might/can (and imo should be) beneficial as zos would be able to produce more of those items.
    Edited by Derra on September 28, 2016 7:40AM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Neowit
    Neowit
    ✭✭✭
    kwisatz wrote: »
    ...I just wont buy any.

Neither will I. But that doesn't mean it's okay for other people to be exploited.
  • manavortex
    manavortex
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have cancelled. I do not feel good with giving ZOS money for a predatory business model. I would love to support them for the awesome work they do, but not like this. Instead of taking what is gladly given I feel that they are trying to stalk people with gambling problems in dark alleyways to rob their pockets, and I feel incredibly slimy participating in any of that, even if it's "just" by supporting them by subbing.
    Stop Zanil Theran's sinister plot to exterminate bank space! Give ESO+ subscribers a virtual Furniture Bag!
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you played a game with rng crates? I have played many. Production of dlc becomes non existent, new items that are desired end up in the crates, and future content (housing in SWTOR as an example) is not enjoyable because of the crates.

Not to mention it is a disrespectful practice to rip off their customers. it might be a crazy concept for some, but people would rather purchase things with a fixed price.

I´ve played swtor extensively and it´s the main reason why i don´t get it. It was purely cosmetic and had no impact on gameplay whatsoever.

Role players like to buy items that fit a theme they have for their characters. For example my Argonian would want housing items that had an Argonian theme. Everything from my characters name, the mounts he rides, the attire he wears has a point. These won't damage the game from a gameplay perspective, but for many it will ruin their fun.

We all play for different reasons and this will ruin the fun for many players like myself. Style parlor appears to be mainly in the box and I was looking forward to that when I tested it in July. Planned a character around it.

But that´s exactly the point. Rgn crates enable them to produce a lot more niche stuff backed up by the rare 1337 items everyone wants to have and is buying crates for.

While rgn is not a desireable mechanic for an individual in that case it enables the content designers to "cross finance" niche items that would otherwise never find their way into the crownstore in the first place because there would not be enough people buying them.

I would agree if it were just the flashy atronach items and the storm stuff. It's loaded with exclusives. It had a little of everything to draw as many people into the scam boxes as possible. When you want 1 or 2 items (not even an apex reward) it will likely cost you hundreds of dollars. Seems wrong to me.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    People do realise crates are optional right? They only contains mounts, pets and hats so have no bearng on the game.

Strange reason to stop eso plus or outright quit like some people are saying.

I probably won't buy any though.
    Edited by Brrrofski on September 28, 2016 7:54AM
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    can't play without craft bag,im not canceling whatever happens
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edit: I really think that crates are sort of a scam for a person who only wants the superrare flashy mount found in 1 out of 100 crates. For the person desiring a lot of lore/roleplay items they might/can (and imo should be) beneficial as zos would be able to produce more of those items.

They aren't. There are Argonian themed items in there. I wanted them.
  • MarrazzMist
    MarrazzMist
    ✭✭✭✭
    I rather pay my game via sub than in crown store.
  • Stardark
    Stardark
    ✭✭✭
    Wing wrote: »
    as long as I play this game I will pay for it.

they provide a service, and then they get paid, that's how it works.
    This.

Crates are a result of freeloaders not paying a sub.
  • manavortex
    manavortex
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crates are a result of freeloaders not paying a sub.

Well, it's not as if they couldn't make more money through the crown store by fair means. They could, for example, just put up more things for sale, there are dozens of items that we have seen on PTS that aren't released yet. But instead they do the scam boxes.

It's like "Oh, we need more money. Let's not give people something they'd actually want to buy, but rather make them gamble for something they would want to buy to leech their wallets." And that's not a business strategy I'm willing to support by subbing.
    Stop Zanil Theran's sinister plot to exterminate bank space! Give ESO+ subscribers a virtual Furniture Bag!
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (explain below).
    I don't have a sub to cancel. I've had one for a grand total of 1 month, which was so I could dye my costumes and try out the DLC.

But it looks like I will be spending a lot less on buying crowns. I have no problem paying for things I want if I think the price is reasonable but I never have and never will paid money for a random outcome, I want to know what I'm buying. Which means I will never buy crown crates and as it looks like the majority of new crown store items are going into the crates there will be a lot less for me to buy.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (explain below).
    Had seriously been thinking of subscribing, buuut... now not so much. I know, crown crates have nothing to do with subs, but I'm not going to give ZoS all my money just so they can use it to spend time designing a bunch of items to put exclusively in crown crates.
    PC/EU DC
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They aren't. There are Argonian themed items in there. I wanted them.

You and the other players wanting them were probably not enough people to put them in the crownstore on their own. You have to view the other crate items as subsidy to the ones you like - otherwise they most likely would not even exist because the market for them is too small.
    <Noricum>

• Paske
    Paske
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (explain below).
    I will not be canceling - simply because rest of the game is actually good

Simply will not participate in scam that is crown crates.

Looking at drops on Youtube and Twitch - you get garbage, followed by garbage with a chance of a mount. Stuff you get is actually cheaper then the crate itself.

Pots that you get are basicly useless.

So no - will not cancel and at the same time see no reason to buy the crates filled with manure.
  • Ilmarthethief
    Ilmarthethief
    ✭✭✭

Damn, when " Production of dlc becomes non existent, new items that are desired end up in the crates, and future content (housing in SWTOR as an example) is not enjoyable because of the crates" will happen I will quit this game too.
    Unless it happened - I'm fine with crates.
    [SNIP]

[Edited to Remove Bait]
    Edited by ZOS_JohanaB on September 28, 2016 2:06PM
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    Other (explain below).
    I am still laughing at how hard QQ about those crates. There is only cosmetics in there that do not HARM the game in any way.

So if you do not want then do not BUY the crates, really simple logic. But then those that QQ the most are prolly gonna buy the whole store empty lulz
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm actually going to buy them.
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because I don't agree with something they are adding doesn't mean I will stop supporting the game. If I decide to cancel it's because they keep adding ridiculous sets that let procblades *** all over my body with one button kills.
    Some of these set ideas are just completely stupid. At least with update 12 they will be able to boost the Viper tooltip with 1pc Kra'ghs (physical pen) and general damage with automaton.
    Then we'll have the heavy armor stam builds running knights errant, giving their S+B even more DPS. Crap like this will cause me to bail, not a crown store feature I can just ignore.
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn, when " Production of dlc becomes non existent, new items that are desired end up in the crates, and future content (housing in SWTOR as an example) is not enjoyable because of the crates" will happen I will quit this game too.
    How happened you are still alive - we all gonna die, so why bother waiting for imminent end? And it ALWAYS ends like this, no exceptions...
    Stop whining.

I get it. You don't think these are bad. From my experience in other games they will ruin my fun. I will just move on. Thanks for your very informative input. Enjoy your crates.

ZOS is doing the same thing many MMO's have done, so why are you acting like I'm crazy for comparing them. You aren't giving any useful input on how these are a good thing. Constructive criticism of someone's position is helpful, personal attack aren't.
    Edited by JimT722 on September 28, 2016 9:56AM
  • NTclaymore
    NTclaymore
    ✭✭✭✭
    because so many havnt kept their sub since it got b2p you kinda forced Zenimaxs hand. You should just have subbed and not buy the crates. You are supporting the buisness model by not subbing since they have to get their coin elsewhere. Dont buy the crates but keep your subs. Most of you probally dont even have one.
    He spoke, the son of Padomay, and nodded his head with the dark brows
    and the imortally anointed hair of the great god
    swept from his divine head, and all Mundus was shaken.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How happened you are still alive - we all gonna die, so why bother waiting for imminent end? And it ALWAYS ends like this, no exceptions...
    Stop whining.

I get it. You don't think these are bad. From my experience in other games they will ruin my fun. I will just move on. Thanks for your very informative input. Enjoy your crates.

ZOS is doing the same thing many MMO's have done, so why are you acting like I'm crazy for comparing them. You aren't giving any useful input on how these are a good thing. Constructive criticism of someone's position is helpful, personal attack aren't.

What i don´t get is: Why is the aquisition a problem for you under the presupposition that the content you desire most likely would not exist through direct purchase at all - because it would not be profitable to create it.

Would you rather have the items not exist at all than having them subsidized with the crates as a buisness model?
    <Noricum>

• Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't live without Crafting Bags.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Stop whining.

What i don´t get is: Why is the aquisition a problem for you under the presupposition that the content you desire most likely would not exist through direct purchase at all - because it would not be profitable to create it.

Would you rather have the items not exist at all than having them subsidized with the crates as a buisness model?

Many of these items have existed for quite some time. They just never put them on the store. I also don't think these are being introduced because they are desperate for money. Instead they are observing how much money other MMO's have made by throwing exclusives in rng crates. The gaming industry has been using these more frequently and likely for a reason. Greed. i am not willing to pay hundreds for one hairstyle and body marking they made over 3 months ago. I would however pay $10 each.

This system is not one of desperation but greed.
    Edited by JimT722 on September 28, 2016 10:56AM