The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Discussion Thread for Crown Crates

• MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    silvereyes wrote: »
    So, only 5 days left in November, and still no crates. Fingers crossed that this is either due to a major rework, or they have been completely scrapped.

There's been no indication from ZOS that they have any intention of not going ahead with this plan. If they did decide to listen to us and not do this awful thing I'd start recommending this game to friends again and probably even pick a few copies up as Xmas gifts. But as it stands right now I can't recommend this game to any new players.
    Edited by MornaBaine on November 28, 2016 12:46PM
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    So, only 5 days left in November, and still no crates. Fingers crossed that this is either due to a major rework, or they have been completely scrapped.

There's been no indication from ZOS that they have any intention of not going ahead with this plan. If they did decide to listen to us and not do this awful thing I'd start recommending this game to friends again and probably even pick a few copies up as Xmas gifts. But as it stands right now I can't recommend this game to any new players.

Because gaming is something kinda unusual in my area, when I meet someone that also plays games they are usually somehow experienced.

Two times already since the announcement of the Crown Crates, I was asked about ESO. Both times, I answered the same: I love the game and I would love to play with you, but be aware that they are going to start selling RNG boxes later this year.
    And, of course, both these guys passed on it. They have experience with MMOs, they know what this means. No further explanation is necessary on this case, and it doesn't matter how much I defend the other aspects of the game. And no, I can't just not tell them the crates will be added, that would be a scummy thing for me to do to someone.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abeille wrote: »
    They have experience with MMOs, they know what this means. No further explanation is necessary on this case, and it doesn't matter how much I defend the other aspects of the game. And no, I can't just not tell them the crates will be added, that would be a scummy thing for me to do to someone.

It is funny how often these little "details" get glossed over when reading about games. The game companies treat these like some minor addition, hardly worth mentioning... here, have some free stuff to get you started. A huge number of players don't like them, a lot of those players see them for what they ultimately end up being, and many players just hold their nose while playing the game and hoping they don't have to use them.

RNG Boxes rank right with "Pay to Win" items in the store when it comes to things that Studios sort of don't mention prominently about their game.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meanwhile...
    We'll be releasing Crown Crates later this week, and will be publishing an article on our website tomorrow with all the details.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • bigspender42002
    bigspender42002
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know why people keep saying these are pay to win??????? It is not !!!!!! Stop saying pay to win scrubs!!!!!
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I dont know why people keep saying these are pay to win??????? It is not !!!!!! Stop saying pay to win scrubs!!!!!

Your nick is so... meaningful.
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Meanwhile...
    We'll be releasing Crown Crates later this week, and will be publishing an article on our website tomorrow with all the details.
    Well, not unexpected, but disappointing. Here's hoping they allowed trading in unwanted consumables and cosmetics for gems to bring the worst-case-scenario prices down.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Meanwhile...
    Well, not unexpected, but disappointing. Here's hoping they allowed trading in unwanted consumables and cosmetics for gems to bring the worst-case-scenario prices down.

They might. It was mentioned. If they do that though they'll have to find some other way to keep people buying the crates. If you can turn in the consumables you don't want, you'll get gems. Even if they set the trade in to one gem each, people will get too many gems too fast. If you can buy the apex reward you want quickly, you won't buy the crates. The whole point of the exercise to get people to buy the crates.
  • Delpi
    Delpi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The box! The mystery box! xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiYvxT_y-c4
    Edited by Delpi on November 29, 2016 2:47PM
    "I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee..."
  • miteba
    miteba
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree!
    There are no P2W items in the crown crates at all!!
    All the consumables are equipared to what you can craft!!! The rest are aesthetic items ...
    If they dont have any unbalanced items/weapons/sets/consumables... why telling that to friends/"future new players"? that doesnt make any sense...
    Sure you can think there is a thin line, and they can put some p2w items in the future but that is just a pessimistic overthinking :/

My opinion to ZOS:
    I understand the need of making more money and i like the rng boxes theory BUT right now they are simply a way to gain lots of consumables which anybody can craft :# I dont think they will have a tremendous success, as they are!
    And the atronach mounts, which in theory will only be avaiable through the crown crate gems... they are the ace up in the sleeve (because they are awesomely cool and will be unique) for the crown crates success but the price to aquire that will undermine your aspirations.

Hope ZOS will listen the players and will make some changes, so they do not look so money diggers/weasels!
    Anyway, as long as ZOS will not have p2w items at crown crates every player should hope they will have success because that means profitability ... and that means more ESO years, and cool updates, new dlcs etc etc ;)
    Edited by miteba on November 30, 2016 10:06AM
  • miteba
    miteba
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crown crates announcement: "...You will also have the option to convert several items obtained from Crown Crates to Crown Gems any time you want. Items that can be manually converted include potions, poisons, riding lessons, experience scrolls, and other utility-type items."

In theory a good move from ZoS to soften the "lots of consumables" critics... now we have to wait to see how much gems will be reverted from that utility items ;)
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    miteba wrote: »
    Crown crates announcement: "...You will also have the option to convert several items obtained from Crown Crates to Crown Gems any time you want. Items that can be manually converted include potions, poisons, riding lessons, experience scrolls, and other utility-type items."

In theory a good move from ZoS to soften the "lots of consumables" critics... now we have to wait to see how much gems will be reverted from that utility items ;)

Possibly one Gem per item. There could be some worth more, I guess.
  • Mercutio
    Mercutio
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dear Ms. @ZOS_GinaBruno ,

I fully understand if you have neither the time and/or inclination to respond to this, but I ask anyhow:

Suggestions that are made on threads like these, are they somehow compiled and sent up the corporate ladder? Are making posts with suggestions a worthy endeavor, or is there some better way to communicate with the decision makers? Lastly, can you state if the devs do or do not read these threads?

Thank you for your time and your continued grace under troublesome conditions. I have known many a Community Manager and it is often a thankless job laden with much aggravation. May the holidays treat you and yours well.

Sincerely,

Mercutio
    The problem with arguing with a jackass is that they never stop braying.
    #DwemerLife
  • wrayvinmaneb14_ESO
    Yeah, I bought four crates and 95% of what I got out of them was potions. I don't use those stupid potions. Can I turn them in for gems?
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I bought four crates and 95% of what I got out of them was potions. I don't use those stupid potions. Can I turn them in for gems?
    You supposedly can. I would be very interested to know the conversion rate, if you could post it.
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Looks like 5 potions => 1 gem. 25 poisons => 1 gem. 1 scroll/drink/food/repair kit/mimic stone => 1 gem. Terrible.

https://youtu.be/vYagrMQb4yc?t=2m37s
    Edited by silvereyes on December 1, 2016 5:06PM
  • BigES
    BigES
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, crown crates have (further) lowered my opinion of ZoS as a company. You have brought the preexisting horrible in-game RNG to the crown store, despite feedback that the game's randomness is an issue.

You have also lost potential money from me. I would gladly buy crowns and purchase a storm atronach mount for something around 5,000 crowns. Maybe even more.

You are going to lose a lot of potential money from risk-averse people who would gladly pay for a guarantee.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. It would seem to be at a rate of 1 Gem for 1 Card worth of stuff.
  • Sharmony
    Sharmony
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Why can't we sell items we receive that we don't want? This seems illogical as I don;'t want some of the cosmetic items I receive yet I am not given the option to recycle them for gems?
    @Wjleppard - EU - Sharmony Youtube
    Holyfire - V16 Stamina Templar | Auriels Bow - V16 Stamina Nightblade | Sharmony - V16 Magicka Templar | Flaming Rose - V16 Magicka Dragonknight | Rejuvenation - V16 Magicka Nightblade | Dora The (Explorer Title) - V16 Magicka Sorcerer | Critjiit - V16 Stamina Dragonknight | Just Hold Block - V16 Stamina Dragonknight | Stormburst - V16 Stamina Sorcerer | Ashenbourne - V16 Magicka Templar | Swims-At-Speed - V16 Magicka Templar | Sharmonknee - V16 Stamina Nightblade | Sharmoney - V16 Magicka Warden
    Guild Affiliations: Hodor, Travelling Merchant, Aetherius Trade, Golden Goose.
    Previous Affiliations: GM of Well-Fitted, Almost Heroes, Kill All, Don't Die, Exile, Sigma Draconis, Legio Mortum
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sharmony wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Why can't we sell items we receive that we don't want? This seems illogical as I don;'t want some of the cosmetic items I receive yet I am not given the option to recycle them for gems?

Because that would set the worst-case scenario too low and make them less money. If you could sell unwanted collectibles for gems at the same conversion rate as duplicates give, you would earn gems too quickly for their taste.

The way the worst case scenario works is that you get every unwanted collectible once before you start accruing gems. That's a ton of crates with nothing to show for it other than unwanted collectibles and probably unwanted consumables. Even if you trade in the consumables, that's only 3-4 gems per crate.

So if you have the worst luck ever, you end up paying 10+k crowns for a legendary mount. Don't even bother with an apex mount.
  • MrJKurayami
    People keep talking about, " It doesn't affect me, I don't care." But that is false. It does affect you. Because instead of putting in things you might actually want, or would " be affected by". They are gonna do this instead. And because of everyone's apathy, they will just keep doing it. Instead of improving the game in a way you would like, they are literally doing nothing for you or other people that pay RL money to support them. I give them money, and I get *** all for it.
  • GhostwalkerLD
    GhostwalkerLD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, this is where I bow out. I said I would unsub and stop playing once these entered the game, and that time has come. My sub ran out last month, and the time has come to uninstall. As long as these crown crates are in the game, I won't be.

Take care, everyone.
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    the time has come to uninstall. As long as these crown crates are in the game, I won't be.
    Sorry to see you go, @GhostwalkerLD. I'm sure you will be missed. May your future be filled with happy gaming experiences.
  • Bigevilpeter
    Bigevilpeter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    After all people have seen witb ZOS and their RNG they still gamble with their real money with them? those who got crap have no one to blame but themselves
  • HarbingerOf
    HarbingerOf
    Soul Shriven
    Crown crates feature is not a big deal.

I love it? Nope. Been there, done that. I could buy some, but just because I have money to spend. If a game entertains me, spending money like I'd do for a dinner out for me it's something I don't have to think about.
    Not bragging, I am just saying that they could not be appealing for the average gamer.

I hate it? Nope. It's not a P2W, and cool stuffs are not all limited to RNG.

In conclusion, too much love or hate for a MEH feature.

Advice: RNG is easy and I'd say stupid. I can live with it and try it, but it's not something that will gain customers' loyalty.

Try something different, this RNG tricks are honestly out of date. Seems that people trusted your game more than you.
  • miteba
    miteba
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have not tested the crown crates in PTS and i must admit i have some curiosity to buy just one and try my luck just for fun, like i would bet in some lottery ticket...
    Anyway, it is RNG and ofc people who had no luck cannot blame ZOS after wasted money on crates, because that is how it works... sometimes you have got luck but these will be much less than the times you dont get nothing special (or lots of consumables and blah blah).

This RNG is like any other RNG but has one "little" advantage: If you want, you can recover some of the invested crowns in the form of gems ... BUT ... the conversion rate is very low in my opinion :(

!!! So that is why I will not buy a single crown crate !!! And i want them to know the why

But i will not criticize anyone who likes that kind of system because it is only another part of the game, another alternative way of playing ESO, is something addedd and something that doenst affect anyone... the only thing that people can argue is that they will not have the chance to win some unique aesthetic items...

Edited by miteba on December 4, 2016 9:05PM
  • Guffaw
    Guffaw
    Soul Shriven
    I have tried them and have purchased 5 crates total. I have not gotten a mount though I got a head adornment that I will never use and that can not be used on all races, so even if I wanted to use it I cant on all my characters. I also got the drastic scamp twice in those 5 crates, that I only got 5 gems for each even though the item sells for 16. They should make it to where you can choose to accept or trade for gems, the full amount of gems they are sold for.

Honestly I have bought every mount but 2 since launch and would love to buy the mounts they are offering but to purchase a crate with a drop rate that is appalling makes it hard to want to keep wasting real money on potions, food and repair kits that I will also never use is frustrating. Also I think it is ridiculous that when you trade them in for gems the whole stack of 5 is only worth 1 but to buy them it costs 3.

I am disappointed in ESO which is a first for me. I hope they fix this and I hope the feeling that I got ripped off for 1900 crowns goes away. I am en ESO plus member that has been playing since beta. First time they have let me down.

I should add I have spent at least 300 dollars to collect all the thing I have and would continue to spend if I could buy what I want outright. But I will not waste hundreds more for a game of chance. Please fix this so I can stand behind you 100% again in the future.

Offer the items you offer in the crates to be purchased with crowns if the player prefers.
    Edited by Guffaw on December 6, 2016 6:08AM
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright, I raged against them. Still, to be fair, I bought 5 as test drive. Yep, they were as horrible as I feared. Got a cool wizard hat...except it makes my character bald. So, something I'll never use and cannot trade in. I got an ugly black lab looking dog... that I will never use and cannot trade in. I got a ridiculous looking Storm Atronach Senche mount... that I will never use and cannot trade in. I got the ability to juggle rocks, a momento I will never use and cannot trade in.

I got enough useless consumables to get the only thing in the "gem store" I DID want... a pretty circlet. So basically I paid fifteen bucks for that.

I was really appalled to see costume items and pets that have NOT been previously offered in the cash shop as "crown crate exclusives." That should NEVER have happened. These are definitely the LAST crates I will ever buy. I am completely disgusted.

• Rinira
    Rinira
    ✭✭
    I already knew this wasn't going to end well when I saw the large list of exclusives to the crates.. let alone the chance of getting various other items. If it was a smaller list and the returns were better sure I might think about it. I've been suckered into rng boxes before and I refuse to do it again.

Reading all of the replies.. yeah one could say they may just be getting unlucky but why punish the players who might put money into this sort of thing? Testing alone seems to have turned a fair number of the players against buying any of these boxes. Honestly I don't blame them.

Yes I love the fact you can get old items that you can no longer get in the shop but at the same time... most of us are not made of money or don't have a ton of cash to toss at a F2P mmo. I myself have two kids and bills, holidays coming up. Hahaha like heck if I am dropping a dime on a box that has pretty much no chance of getting anything I want. Sad part is that I don't care about the newly added items to the box.

Also what was wrong with the system you had going in the past? I swore at a few points there were retired mounts or items added to the cash shop that were re-added for a limited time only. Sure this may get you a little more income.. but in the long run I stand with the group of folks who would rather buy straight up what I want and know I'll get it.
    Tangled-in-Strings - PC/NA @Rosekitten | "What would you attempt if you could not fail?" | Love for all Factions but Ebonheart Pact is my home.