The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Spell casters and Dual Wiedling

MidknightWolf
MidknightWolf
✭✭✭✭
@ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_JessicaFolsom can you please answer why it is that dual wielding passively gives you more spell power than a staff? Is this intended? Can we get a passive bonus to spell power when wielding a staff that is greater than that of dual wield so it makes sense? Maybe its just me, does it make sense now the way it is?
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been gone through a heap of times, dual wield has a gain in one aspect, but since the last updates you also compromise. Now the Wep Glyph boosts spell damage too, and regen / resource management is a real challenge using a staff is more attractive in alot of situations.

Stick the glyph on and test your DPS. It's not all about Tooltip now.

Personally with the Glyph proving the difference to actual damage is negligable and I can weave med/heavy attacks.

I want to run dual wield, it suits my image of a battle mage Jedi more. But actually I'm.more effective in doing damage through a fight with a staff.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • MidknightWolf
    MidknightWolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Beardimus can't you just put the spell damage glyph on the dual wepons?
  • Pinja
    Pinja
    ✭✭✭✭

You can. It will also stack with the off hand, but when are you going to proc that as a ranged caster?
    -Well probably when some one pulls you in with the Swarm mother set.

Well then when are we going to use it when were not SOL?
    -Probably when they add Dual wands??
    Edited by Pinja on September 5, 2016 3:17PM
    Pinja for Dual Wands.
    Pinja's three server solutions:
  • MidknightWolf
    MidknightWolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    There simply should just be a greater bonus for spell casters when using a staff. Only matches lore and makes sense.
  • subtlezeroub17_ESO
    subtlezeroub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seriously. Its really stupid that my mage has to slot dw swords/daggers on bar 2 to be considered viable.
  • subtlezeroub17_ESO
    subtlezeroub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, imo we should be given the option to just keep one staff and keep the 2nd bar. Just up the spell power of staves.
  • ColoursYouHave
    ColoursYouHave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pinja wrote: »

You can. It will also stack with the off hand, but when are you going to proc that as a ranged caster?

Most Magicka NB, Templars, and DKs are melee ranged casters, so most magicka builds will have no problem proccing the enchant.
  • P3ZZL3
    P3ZZL3
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on this argument, shall we talk about a Stamina based Sorc then :dizzy:
    CP561 Redguard | Jabsy Templar | Stamina Build
    CP561 Breton | Jesus Beam Templar | Magicka Build Forever!
    CP561 Naked Nord | Tanky DK | Stamigicka Build

✭✭✭ Check ESO Server Status Live!: http://eso.webhub.eu/ ✭✭✭
  • subtlezeroub17_ESO
    subtlezeroub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Most Magicka NB, Templars, and DKs are melee ranged casters, so most magicka builds will have no problem proccing the enchant.

Magicka NB in pve at least are not melee range casters. :/ we have like 1 spell that forces us into melee range and thats our AoE spell. Strife/force pulse are ranged.

Maybe also the occasional soul harvest
    Edited by subtlezeroub17_ESO on September 5, 2016 3:51PM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As per earlier reply, how would you proc it.

As per lore comments, which lore is that? I'm not a series follower so correct me if I'm wrong if it's mentioned. In wider fantasy genre, Gandalf has a sword...

Templars are magika healers but don't run dual Restros.

Try both. Honestly, try both. I have and overall my DPS effectiveness is UP on staff. Weave / sustain / range / ani-cancel. There are pro's and cons to both why remove the option for people that want to try it.

And I WANT to use dual wield the view that sorcs have to wear robes, a floppy hat and a stick for me is outdated, but it is most effective.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • subtlezeroub17_ESO
    subtlezeroub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    As per earlier reply, how would you proc it.

As per lore comments, which lore is that? I'm not a series follower so correct me if I'm wrong if it's mentioned. In wider fantasy genre, Gandalf has a sword...

Templars are magika healers but don't run dual Restros.

Try both. Honestly, try both. I have and overall my DPS effectiveness is UP on staff. Weave / sustain / range / ani-cancel. There are pro's and cons to both why remove the option for people that want to try it.

And I WANT to use dual wield the view that sorcs have to wear robes, a floppy hat and a stick for me is outdated, but it is most effective.
    Logically speaking. In a world where spell casters can send meteors, drain blood, create thunder strikes with magic. What is the point of wielding a sword?

In LOTR, magic was rare to use and required a lot of mental prep for the simplest of spells. Hence why Gandalf used a sword.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The reason Staves and Bows have less Damage than a metal 2-hand is because they can attack from a distance. Until the day Weapon Damage and Spell Damage are NOT equally given by base damage from your weapon then Dual Wielding will always be superior in that stat type.
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that DW should have most spell power. But Destro badly needs a buff...it should be a thought out process to deciding as a templar sweeps build, what weapon to use. Currently destro offers only a high damage light/ heavy attack and magick regen...thats it, the skills don't really help as a sweeper except the magick return spell penetration debuff. But I would rather have other abilities on me bar than that
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like dual swords though
    Edited by Mojmir on September 5, 2016 8:09PM
  • Vorcil
    Vorcil
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even if ZOS decided they liked one of anyone's suggestions and wanted to go with it, they are too thick and absolutely useless developers to be making any core changes to the game.

I don't know why people even start these threads, all they're going to do is milk reskinned cosmetics, dyes, and add a few more quests here and there with their 'quest' building tools with little to none actual core game development .

• Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would drop my stupid dual swords in a heartbeat on my Magplar if I could either dual wield staves, or a staff counted as two set pieces. Personally, I'd prefer the latter. Don't force the Magicka users to have to choose between better spell power or running two 5pc sets. The Stamina builds sure don't.
  • dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_JessicaFolsom can you please answer why it is that dual wielding passively gives you more spell power than a staff? Is this intended? Can we get a passive bonus to spell power when wielding a staff that is greater than that of dual wield so it makes sense? Maybe its just me, does it make sense now the way it is?

dual wield gives more base damage then any other weapon, you have 2 weapons, its just how it works that number is base WEAPON AND SPELLDAMAGE for all weapons. its a huge trade off to not be able to light or heavy weave and not to be able to get magica return on heavy. i dont get what the problem is.
    now that eveyone is wearing heavy in pvp the trade-off isnt even worth it anymore anyway u cant nuke people in 2 seconds very often anymore.
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ability to have not one.. but TWO STAFF weapons ohh yhea

one in each hand .. light attacks are like left, right, left, right, pew pew pew pew
    and heavy attack you cross two staffs in front of you joined tip to tip and combines the staffs builds up this ball of magica at the front and shoots in one huge attack

thus giving us dual staff :)

one of the moves would be you stomp two staffs on the floor at each side of the character and you make a wall that reduces the damage to everybody standing behind it .. a wall of magica and it uses magica to sustain the wall

"By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• ColoursYouHave
    ColoursYouHave
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Magicka NB in pve at least are not melee range casters. :/ we have like 1 spell that forces us into melee range and thats our AoE spell. Strife/force pulse are ranged.

Maybe also the occasional soul harvest

Yeah, not sure about PVE, but in PVP there aren't that many ranged Magicka NBs (though they certainly do exist). The only Magicka class you typically see as a strictly ranged caster in PVP is Magicka Sorc, and even then some of them still run DW on at least one bar.
  • rosendoichinoveb17_ESO
    rosendoichinoveb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    My comment below is based only on PvE:

I think currently dual wield and staffs for spell damage are both in a good position.

Staffs give you the upper edge when dealing damage from a distance, and also refund mana on kills which is very good for sustain.

Dual wield is good for mele magic damage as of course you cannot basic attack from a distance, and its a lot harder and riskier to close up to deal damage. On the upside, having 2 swords gives you that 5% bonus damage dealth and gives you a bit more damge output.

So overall both are really good, one is better for mele, and the other for range and sustain.
    Edited by rosendoichinoveb17_ESO on September 5, 2016 11:24PM