The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

So Console Players do you love your text chat?

• Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anybody on XB1 having trouble with ChatPad try just using the SmartGlass app - works like a dream on my Surface 3.
    Options
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I love it should have been in from the begining!
    I didn't think I'd end up using it.

I really like it though. I can be in one guild cat channel and still talk to someone in another if need be, people trading a lot in zone chat, letting people in pvp know which wall is getting sieged, how many are sieging etc.

I really like it.
    Options
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a way to have a text-chat box up on screen all the time without having to go into the menu all the time? It seems there is but I don't know how to set it up
    The Gaming Rev
    YouTube channel - https://youtube.com/c/TheGamingRev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer - Master Crafter
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Magicka Nightblade, Breton
    Stamina Nightblade, Khajiit

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Dragonknight, Dunmer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

Aldmeri Dominion - 1700+ CP

XboxOne EU
    Options
  • JakelDK
    JakelDK
    ✭✭✭
    in order to make the orange and green keys correspond with what is actually displayed on your chatpad you will need to change the language settings on your chatpad (only this not you general language or location) to english USA. it took me a while to figure out and i couldn't find anything about it online. hope it helps those in other countries like me:)
    Options
  • Bonzodog01
    Bonzodog01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amorpho wrote: »
    Is there a way to have a text-chat box up on screen all the time without having to go into the menu all the time? It seems there is but I don't know how to set it up

Go to Options > social > Text Chat switch to display on HUD. That will display a smallish text chat box on the right hand side of your screen which will fade if no-one says anything.
    Xbox One - EU - EP/DC
    Trying and failing to hold the walls of his Templar house up since 2015
    Options
  • nick_dean14
    nick_dean14
    ✭✭✭
    I REALLY wish there was a way you could filter the text chat. It seems to be an incredibly helpful feature, but if I was able to just show whispers, or just show messages sent to a particular guild it would be so much more useful. Trying to have a conversation with a group of guild mates is really annoying when there are another 15 random people shouting about the fact they've got a maelstrom weapon.

You can choose to only hear a guild voice chat rather than the area chat, so why is it not the same with text chat?
    Guildmaster of Tamriel Trials Team. A PvE focused dungeons and trials guild on the PS4 EU server.
    Check out our thread if you're interested in joining!
    Options
  • AnviOfVai
    AnviOfVai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The chat is a great feature! I really like it, for guilds and groups! but i used it for the first time yesterday in open chat I just wrote "ah so you hit enter to get the chat up" and then suddenly everyone was replying with...you don't wanna know what they wrote. It was pretty eye roll worthy. hahaha!
    "I appear at my lord's behest, or perhaps I was always here, and you merely lacked the ability to see me."

PS4 - EU

AD - Pet Sorcerer - Damage Dealer - 160
    DC - Warden - Werewolf - in - progress - 160
    DC - Templar - Tank - 160
    DC - Sorcerer - Damage Dealer - in - progress
    EP - Dragon Knight -Fire Tank - 160
    EP - Nightblade - Damage Dealer - 160

Options
  • FortheloveofKrist
    FortheloveofKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday night, after the first ten minutes, I would have said it is a nice addition.

Then I realized it's just going to be endless trade spam. So it'll probably stay off. Like someone else said, it just clutters the screen anyways.

As someone used to PC MMOs, I don't even see it when not looking at it lol. Certainly doesn't clutter the screen ...

As someone who played PC MMOs, I disagree. It clutters the screen.

Options
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No I am not a fan.
    I voted "No", but only because there wasn't a "I don't really care, I don't/won't ever use the Text Chat function when I can just talk through my headset" option.

Text Chat coming to consoles means nothing to me. It does nothing for my game, and there is the nighest of probabilities that I will never turn the Chat Window to "On".

If people were (for some reason) excited for this, then I hope they like it.

I've played MMO's since forever, and I've always hated having to pause what I''m doing to type in some little damn window. Annoying as hell IMO.

Can't voice zone chat though.... And guild voice chat is just a cluster *** honestly....
    It's all personal preference.

As I said in my post, even in the MMO's on my PC (where I spend most of my gaming time), I despise text chat windows. I have since they were introduced (what seems like) ages ago, and I like them no more in 2016 than I did way back when.

As for your two talking points: Area Chat is the voice version of Zone chat. It just has a proximity filter that keeps me from hearing people across the Province screaming about whose mom/sister/dog they just "pwned". As far as Guild Chat, I've never had a single issue with it. I don't mind switching amongst different Guild Channels if necessary, which it usually isnt necessary since each channel holds quite a few people.

So again; IMO, I don't like it, and I see it as an unnecessary addition to the game. If other people like it, that's fine with me. They can use it until their fingers fall off.

But ever since third-party voice chat options/apps/programs/services were added to the internet, I have used those to talk to guildmates rather than constantly pause what I'm doing and try to rip out a text message before some creature slaughters me.

Text Chat Windows are possibly the single most annoying feature in modern and older MMO's in my opinion. I much prefer hearing the voices of my Guildmates anyway. And we can discuss more topics in a far shorter amount of time with voice chatting (without misreading intent, because voice inflections and tone reveal so much about a person's messages) than we ever will with text chat windows.

So no, I'm not ever going to be a fan of Text Chat Windows. Being able to talk freely with my Guildies, hearing their actual voices... that's what makes an MMO feel so much more immersive to me.

twitch.tv/vampire_nox
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say no to Crown Crates!

Options
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Being able to talk freely with my Guildies, hearing their actual voices... that's what makes an MMO feel so much more immersive to me.
    No problem, you do not lose your voice chat at all with text chat.
    However, with guild voice chat you only can speak to ONE guild.
    With text chat you finally can chat with ALL guilds at once.
    If one of your mates in 5 guilds is looking for help, you will now see this. Superb.
    I REALLY wish there was a way you could filter the text chat. It seems to be an incredibly helpful feature, but if I was able to just show whispers, or just show messages sent to a particular guild it would be so much more useful.
    The PC version can do this; There you can select the channels you want.
    The PC version also allows setting custom text chat colors.
    The console version cannot do this.
    ZOS probably sees this as too complicated for console players...

However, a simple selection of 8 radio buttons right under the input box for activating channels could help, such as:
    ALL (default) AREA GROUP GUILD1 GUILD2 GUILD3 GUILD4 GUILD5

Edited by BalticBlues on August 18, 2016 3:55PM
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No I am not a fan.
    Being able to talk freely with my Guildies, hearing their actual voices... that's what makes an MMO feel so much more immersive to me.
    If one of your mates in 5 guilds is looking for help, you will now see this. Superb.
    I REALLY wish there was a way you could filter the text chat. It seems to be an incredibly helpful feature, but if I was able to just show whispers, or just show messages sent to a particular guild it would be so much more useful.
    The PC version can do this; There you can select the channels you want.
    The PC version also allows setting custom text chat colors.
    The console version cannot do this.
    ZOS probably sees this as too complicated for console players...

However, a simple selection of 8 radio buttons right under the input box for activating channels could help, such as:
    ALL (default) AREA GROUP GUILD1 GUILD2 GUILD3 GUILD4 GUILD5

There are literally no more options that can be added without removing others.

For me I very often used the emotes but now they've been removed in place of text chat so I have to manually go through the menus vs a 2-3 quick button press

I don't see value in forcing ppl to use something.
    The game needs a lot more on/off and button assignments for consoles because for each person, what we do and how we do those things will differ.

I enjoy a Xbox one controller that offer a lot of customization but I'm still at a lost in this game due to even more poor design decisions with this update.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
    Options
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    All the chat trolling.

It

Is

Awesome!
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
    Options
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No I am not a fan.
    Of course. I understand that none of my voice chat options are being taken away; but as I said earlier, there is the highest of probabilities that I will never turn it to "On".

Text Chat boxes just aren't my thing.

But there are people who are very, very excited for this. Even though I don't see the point in those annoying boxes, even though I wish that they had never been introduced into MMO's, other people are still very excited for it.

People are excited again (for a short while at least) about a game that I love (or at least this one feature). That only helps to lengthen the lifespan of the game, even if it is lengthened by only an infinitesimal amount.

That means a game I love will be around for that much longer. For that fact alone, I am happy for this update, even if I will never use "the Devil's Talk Box" (all in good fun, just humor me with a small chuckle ;)) myself.

So, yeah; I'm still not a fan of it. :D

twitch.tv/vampire_nox

Options
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No I am not a fan.
    Leeroy Jenkins doesn't need text chat and neither do I B)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hooKVstzbz0
    Options
  • EZgoin76
    EZgoin76
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course. I understand that none of my voice chat options are being taken away; but as I said earlier, there is the highest of probabilities that I will never turn it to "On".

But there are people who are very, very excited for this. Even though I don't see the point in those annoying boxes, even though I wish that they had never been introduced into MMO's, other people are still very excited for it.

People are excited again (for a short while at least) about a game that I love (or at least this one feature). That only helps to lengthen the lifespan of the game, even if it is lengthened by only an infinitesimal amount.

That means a game I love will be around for that much longer. For that fact alone, I am happy for this update, even if I will never use "the Devil's Talk Box" (all in good fun, just humor me with a small chuckle ;)) myself.

There's a lot of people who feel the exact same way about voice chat and will never turn it on.

Me. I prefer having both, seeing as how it gives us all options. Voice chat has its limitations that text makes up for and vice versa.

I still hate area chat and now that we have text chat I will probably never use area chat again. I'll save talking to people for guild and group dungeons.
    I want to change the world. I'm just to lazy to do it.
    Options
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No I am not a fan.
    EZgoin76 wrote: »

There's a lot of people who feel the exact same way about voice chat and will never turn it on.

Me. I prefer having both, seeing as how it gives us all options. Voice chat has its limitations that text makes up for and vice versa.

I still hate area chat and now that we have text chat I will probably never use area chat again. I'll save talking to people for guild and group dungeons.
    Awesome. :)

twitch.tv/vampire_nox

Options
  • Jimboo84
    Jimboo84
    ✭✭✭
    I'll provide some screenies from PS4 for those that need a sneak peek:

Screenshot of the text chat box non-full screen with small text (used /played to fill it in)
    CqA7JsFUsAE-iXY.jpg:large

Screenshot of the text chat box in full screen with a linked item and me displaying what it looks like to view it
    CqA7efpUEAAdYdF.jpg:large

Screenshot of the text chat box HUD turned on but hidden due to no new comments
    CqA7r3lVMAAcbGf.jpg:large

Weird place. :smiley:
    I'm happy with the PC version, I can move this chat box to another location.
    Jimerio / Magicka Sorcerer / PvP & PvE / Master Crafter(Woodworking, Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Provisioning, Enchanting, Clothing) / DD & Heal / CP560+ / Aldmeri Dominion / PC / EU
    Options
  • DPG76
    DPG76
    ✭✭✭
    Vigarr wrote: »
    Leeroy Jenkins doesn't need text chat and neither do I B)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hooKVstzbz0

good ol LeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEErRoyyyy
    Options
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Eshelmen wrote: »
    Stupid placement for a text chat window, why on earth would it be on the middle right of the screen? Who knows? But I'll take it.

Where is the LootDrop display? Could be the chat placement had something to do with that. On PC, in GamePad mode, the LootDrop is behind the text chat, both in lower left bottom. In normal PC UI, the LootDrop is on the opposite side of text, lower right bottom. I have to either turn LootDrop off, or just ignore it, since it's very hard to see behind the chat window.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
    Options
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the possibilities of it in PVP, but it is also a new way for people to trash talk other.
    Options
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No I am not a fan.
    Played on X1 last night. Never turned chat on. Game was fine.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
    Options
  • KICHZY
    KICHZY
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes very glad it's finally here.
    Options
  • BlackguardBob
    BlackguardBob
    ✭✭✭
    No I am not a fan.
    I had it switched on my XB1 last night for 2 hours and nobody said a word. Then when someone did, he was trying to sell stuff highlighted in purple text over and over again. There didn't seem to be much interest.

Tbh, if I want to chat I'll get on the blower. I don't need to chat in a chat box with anybody while playing a game that is so intense as ESO is. That is so immersive breaking seeing the box on my screen and on the right hand side too!

I am glad for everybody that has asked for this over some long time and now can finally do their thing but this is just not for me at all and I will leave it at the default off so I am mercifully relieved that I can do that. ;)

Edited by BlackguardBob on August 18, 2016 8:47PM
    Options