Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

So Console Players do you love your text chat?

• derpymcsquirtle
    I can't seem to get my Xbox 1 chat pad to work with the new chat window...I've turned all settings on and made sure controller and chat pad is up to date but when I try to type stuff nothing happens....any ideas??
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No I am not a fan.
    Bizzquik wrote: »
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    Can't say as it hasn't finished downloading. And still not sure how it works.....and don't have a keypad thingy yet......

Is the official Xbox One Chatpad compatible with Elder Scrolls Online...?

Yes, it's the best option because it adds two commands that can be customized X1 and X2 but this doesn't do much for the game itself.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
    Options
  • FortheloveofKrist
    FortheloveofKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday night, after the first ten minutes, I would have said it is a nice addition.

Then I realized it's just going to be endless trade spam. So it'll probably stay off. Like someone else said, it just clutters the screen anyways.

Options
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I love it should have been in from the begining!
    I expect the trade talk will die down once people's pent up needs are eased.
    Xbox NA
    Options
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i don't think trade chat is bad my guilds have been using it non stop to organize trials and dungeons and pvp group. Also seen randoms in area chat talking and socializing and grouping. it finally feel like an mmo, i love it.
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
    Options
  • Tats
    Tats
    ✭✭✭
    I like it. Not the best but better than nothing. Hopefully it'll get brought up to mmo standards eventually. So far I love the patch though on ps4, the game actually is working normally for me.
    Options
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ehh.. I'm old school and much prefer voice chat.
    Options
  • DPG76
    DPG76
    ✭✭✭
    good addition for lfg and trade , but somehow not what i hoped
    maybe it's just me dooing something wrong but i always have that bubble on right top screen but when i look at chat it isn't updated (no new text)
    also , i saw the chat screen popping up top right screen but it goes away and dunno how to toggle it

edited spelling
    Edited by DPG76 on August 17, 2016 10:38PM
    Options
  • MudcrabsRus
    MudcrabsRus
    ✭✭✭
    No I am not a fan.
    It is good but I have to give it the thumbs down due to how buggy it is
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No I am not a fan.
    Even the small text size makes the screen look cluttered to me, and when I enabled it all I saw was people spamming different things like "This certain weapon" or "That certain achievement", and no ACTUAL talking. Not to mention real time text chat on Console? Awkward as all Hell, not to mention requires the tertiary Chat Pad for the controller if you want to have an easier time with it.

Just makes me want to move over to the PC version even more.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • bareheiny
    bareheiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that we have it, can we get it better?

Tabs and channels - LFG, trade and so forth.

Oh, and I'd love to move it. It seems....odd...sitting on the right. I'd much prefer it was on the left.
    Options
  • Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vigarr wrote: »
    I just hope that someone isn't trying to communicate with me through it as I'm leaving it off.
    If there's a question that I need to ask some random player directly, I send them a message through their Xbox gamercard.

so you will TYPE a message to them in a indirect way just you don't like the direct way cause that makes sense xD
    Options
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No I am not a fan.
    Artjuh90 wrote: »
    I just hope that someone isn't trying to communicate with me through it as I'm leaving it off.
    If there's a question that I need to ask some random player directly, I send them a message through their Xbox gamercard.

so you will TYPE a message to them in a indirect way just you don't like the direct way cause that makes sense xD

It makes perfect sense...you can have area and text chat turned off but you will still receive an Xbox message and there will be a popup saying you have a message, making it hard to miss. It's the best way to message an individual privately just like the Xbox party chat is much better then the in game group chat.
    Options
  • CromulentForumID
    CromulentForumID
    ✭✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »
    Ehh.. I'm old school and much prefer voice chat.

Text chat is new school? :)
    Options
  • Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It makes perfect sense...you can have area and text chat turned off but you will still receive an Xbox message and there will be a popup saying you have a message, making it hard to miss. It's the best way to message an individual privately just like the Xbox party chat is much better then the in game group chat.

ye when you have 2 mutch people whining about a box that doesn't even really fil up your screen. but hey if you don't want to comminicate in game fine by me. in the year i've been playing eso i gotten used to it. to many people refusing to go into chat and/or using a headset. ill just look for someone in my guild i can communicate with. i don't need someone who can't communicate and therefore can become a liability. sure if you'r not the best player i can still help you out explaining things and get beter in game and acually do the mechanics but if you can't be bothered why should i?
    Options
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No I am not a fan.

ye when you have 2 mutch people whining about a box that doesn't even really fil up your screen. but hey if you don't want to comminicate in game fine by me. in the year i've been playing eso i gotten used to it. to many people refusing to go into chat and/or using a headset. ill just look for someone in my guild i can communicate with. i don't need someone who can't communicate and therefore can become a liability. sure if you'r not the best player i can still help you out explaining things and get beter in game and acually do the mechanics but if you can't be bothered why should i?
    ha what? If I'm running with someone else or a group, I invite them all to an Xbox party and communicate with my headset. If I'm just trying to ask a random person a question then I'll send an Xbox message...it's much easier then attempting to talk in area chat or now text chat. There's many people like me that leave area chat and text chat off because area chat on console is horrible and text chat would only be useful for selling something in town.
    Options
  • Averya_Teira
    Averya_Teira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted "No", but only because there wasn't a "I don't really care, I don't/won't ever use the Text Chat function when I can just talk through my headset" option.

Text Chat coming to consoles means nothing to me. It does nothing for my game, and there is the nighest of probabilities that I will never turn the Chat Window to "On".

If people were (for some reason) excited for this, then I hope they like it.

I've played MMO's since forever, and I've always hated having to pause what I''m doing to type in some little damn window. Annoying as hell IMO.

Can't voice zone chat though.... And guild voice chat is just a cluster *** honestly....
    Options
  • Averya_Teira
    Averya_Teira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday night, after the first ten minutes, I would have said it is a nice addition.

Then I realized it's just going to be endless trade spam. So it'll probably stay off. Like someone else said, it just clutters the screen anyways.

As someone used to PC MMOs, I don't even see it when not looking at it lol. Certainly doesn't clutter the screen ...
    Options
  • Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ha what? If I'm running with someone else or a group, I invite them all to an Xbox party and communicate with my headset. If I'm just trying to ask a random person a question then I'll send an Xbox message...it's much easier then attempting to talk in area chat or now text chat. There's many people like me that leave area chat and text chat off because area chat on console is horrible and text chat would only be useful for selling something in town.

like i haven't tried it, but the people who don't join the party chat in game won't join the chat in xbox live party. and the one who actually does that doesn't speak anyway so still one way communication which doesn't work. i know more of that problem cause i had this for over a year. i don't say text chat should replace voice cause i'm many situations voice IS beter. i give you that but when that isn't possible for what reason what so ever a ingame textchat which you can send to multiple people at once is always beter then through xboxlive
    Options
  • Lnin0
    Lnin0
    ✭✭✭
    No I am not a fan.
    if i wanted to type chat i'd get the game on pc. console are, by nature, more social and why voice chat is standard. utter waste of dev cycles to appease a handfull of 'vocal' forum complainers. sad we get this when so many more important things need attention.
    Options
  • Hammy01
    Hammy01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't seem to get my Xbox 1 chat pad to work with the new chat window...I've turned all settings on and made sure controller and chat pad is up to date but when I try to type stuff nothing happens....any ideas??

I just press the enter key on the chat pad and then start typing.
    Options
  • EZgoin76
    EZgoin76
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lnin0 wrote: »
    if i wanted to type chat i'd get the game on pc. console are, by nature, more social and why voice chat is standard. utter waste of dev cycles to appease a handfull of 'vocal' forum complainers. sad we get this when so many more important things need attention.

It's not a matter of PC or console. ESO is an mmo and in mmo's, text chat is standard. The pros and cons have been discussed repeatedly in the hundreds of threads that your made up handfull of people have already been over.

The game is now better off having both options. If some people don't want to use it then they are only limiting themselves.
    I want to change the world. I'm just to lazy to do it.
    Options
  • Averya_Teira
    Averya_Teira
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny because I could have sworn seeing about a message every two seconds constantly tonight when I played. Certainly seems to be popular with more than just a vocal minority...

Also, voice chat has limitations, try voice chat with your guild of 100+ players...
    Options
  • Kalante
    Kalante
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a bunch of whiners. The only thing that i would do to text chat is move it to the bottom left corner. It's like in the middle of the screen and it's awkward. But i am not gonna moan and whine because it works.
    Edited by Kalante on August 18, 2016 2:32AM
    Options
  • Lucius_Aelius
    Lucius_Aelius
    ✭✭✭✭
    No I am not a fan.

Easily half of people I play with on Console, if not most people, neither use a mic nor join voice chat. Having something like this for all those people is a major help that will benefit the most the people who need it and currently don't communicate hardly at all.

And that's myself included lately since the adjustable snake part of my mic (Turtle Beach X12's, a few years old now I think) is wearing out and usually crackles when I use it, so I've mostly stopped using it and only break it out when absolutely necessary. These last few times I almost didn't get it to work at all even after fussing with it for 10+ minutes, one of these times I won't get it to work at all so I'm avoiding trying as much as I can until I can go all-out and by one of the absolute best Astro's. And I do mean the absolute best and most expensive ones they've got, but I don't have the money to throw around like that right now so it's not going to happen as soon as I'd like.

I'm not cheaping out again though and falling for the pretty words in the advertising, I want something that will actually last me this time and not start to have issues within a year of buying them. I thought Turtle Beach's were quality when I bought them, and while they may be compared to some, they're not at all what I'd consider high end, at best they're the lowest of anything that could ever possibly be considered high-end. Also I need good sound for my game playing and without my headphones I use my TV for sound, which precludes me from using a cheap mic.

I've thought about trying to stick a cheap mic with a rubber band onto my Turtle Beach's so that I could use them for sound (which still works perfectly) and have the cheap mic for talking, which I've done before, but I've generally also got background noise in terms of AC and a separate Air Purifier that helps to keep my air clean and flowing, both essential for being indoors for any length of time and have it be healthy and comfortable (I have no allergies or health issues but studies have shown bad air indoors has dramatic effects on brain function, the better the air you breathe the better you think and feel, and every bit makes a difference), and as such they're not something I'm inclined to turn off while playing.

So this text chat business is a nice addition for me and many others that simply don't have the ability or inclination for whatever reason to make use of voice chat, and just because it's so obvious and simple to you that everyone should be using voice chat doesn't mean others are wrong for feeling and acting differently. You have your reasons for doing what you do and we have our reasons for doing what we do, the only time anyone is wrong is when they take issue with what someone else has decided is best for them.

Voice chat is always useful and anyone playing without it is unquestionably gimping their team and themselves to some extent greater than zero, not necessarily much if they're really good and especially not if the content is easy for them to do and carry others through, but even the best players would do better by coordinating with their team, and having text chat as a middle ground that allows people to coordinate to some extent greater than zero without voice chat can only possibly be a good addition that benefits everyone so long as it's implemented properly. There's definitely some issues with this implementation that need to be sorted as I and others have stated (though some of us certainly have very different ideas of what the problem is), but it's a great change and absolutely something that should have effort devoted to it to make it as good as it can reasonably be.
    Edited by Lucius_Aelius on August 18, 2016 2:44AM
    Daggerfall Covenant - Scourge (Xbox NA) - GT: Lucius Aelius - Lord - 648CP
    Lucius Aelius Aurelius - 50 Imperial Dragonknight - Centurion - Stam Tank
    Lucius Aelius Valerius - 50 Imperial Templar - Lieutenant - Mag Heal/DPS
    Lucius Aelius Regulus - 50 Imperial Nightblade - First Sergeant - Stam DPS
    Lucius Aelius Augustus - 50 Imperial Sorcerer - Corporal - Mag DPS
    Wags-His-Tail - 20 Argonian Sorcerer - Recruit - TBD
    Holds-The-Line - 40 Argonian Dragonknight - Recruit - TBD
    Carries-Extra-Gear - 4 Argonian Dragonknight - Recruit - TBD
    Guildmaster - Wardens of the Covenant
    Group Leader - xpThe Guildxp
    Trader - Secret Sauce
    Trader - Elite Dungeoneers
    Options
  • PrinceBoru
    PrinceBoru
    ✭✭✭✭
    At this point I could not care any less about it.
    It ain't easy being green.
    Options
  • Eleusian
    Eleusian
    ✭✭✭
    No I am not a fan.
    15 months after launch I expected a better product like at least in the ball park of other MMOs I have played. No Global or LFG????? It literally seems like a step child project they did to shut everyone up.
    PS4 NA
    Options
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sure. The game is still just as broken as it was before, but hey, sweet new words on the screen, though, right?

I bet youre the life of the party.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
    Options
  • Therwind
    Therwind
    ✭✭✭
    Rex-Umbra wrote: »
    Is there a guild text command?

Not sure if anyone answered this for you but yes! It's /g1. /g2 etc.
    Options
  • Khairiah
    Khairiah
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! But should be able the leave chats.
    Options