Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Healer Stats

crcraig
crcraig
I'm curious what you other healers have as far as stats go? (Namely, Magicka total and regeneration, Spell Power, and Spell Critical.)

My stats (boon and food/drink buffs included) are approximately:
Class: Sorcerer
Magicka - ~21K
Magicka Regen - ~2000
Spell Power - ~2000
Spell Crit - ~47%
Gear: 5 piece Eyes of Mara, 3 piece Willpower, 2 piece Nightflame,

I'm still fairly new to the game, but I've been able to heal all the 4-man Vet dungeons I've been in so far. I'm around cp265, and probably won't get into the large group/raiding stuff (I actually don't know much about it, just know my MMO raiding days are long gone). Anyhow, I'm interested in comparison, advice, suggestions, etc., so I'd appreciate whatever input/feedback you can offer, especially if there's something I missed and should be considering.

PS - I'm not interested in the "which class is the best healer" discussion. I gather that the healer of choice for most is Templar and may very well be arguably the best option, but I enjoy the sorcerer. So save that topic for other threads please.
Sorcerer, Breton
Nightblade, Redguard
Dragonknight, Imperial
Templar, Argonian
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Want to be a healer? Get a templar
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • Devve777
    Devve777
    ✭✭
    im on a Altmer Templar.
    my stats:
    Magicka=41k (my max magicka should be alittle higher but i roll 5/5 impen as i use this gear for pvp/pve)
    MagRegen= 1500-1600 (depending on loadout and front/backbar)
    Spell Power= 3100 before buffs (usually float between 4200-5k with buffs/procs in combat)
    Spell Crit=44%
    Health=18k

i run 5-kags 2-kena and DW-torugs on my main bar. that being said, my spell power is signifacantly lower on my back bar as it is a non-set resto staff(i want mael staff there but havnt gotten it yet)

Most healers try to max out regen and max magicka but honestly, on a templar atleast, you can heal with your regen as low as 1300ish, you just dont give yourself or your group much room for error. 1500-1600 feels very comfy and allows me to hit/heal harder.

the way the mechanics work in this game(in PVE), you can build your character to be almost completly offensive and still be a great healer. this is the exact thing that will seperate you from being a good healer to being a great healer. on a templar, a good player that understand there class can produce almost as much dmg as the dps aswell as keeping their group up. you just have to know when to focus on heals and when to push the dmg.

Again, everything i have stated is specific to templar healing. i have not healed on any other class and dont even attempt to try and advise on how to play them.
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    21k magicka is very low. Your heals are not going to hit hard like that. My guess is that you've overinvested into health. But as a sorcerer, you have access to a shield (actually, all magicka healers do through Light Armor).

Get your magicka up for the big heals.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
  • crcraig
    crcraig
    I was wrong, I just logged in and found my Magicka is actually around 23K. But that's going to still be low, I assume, especially compared to 41k (wow!).

How would one raise their Magicka pool that much? My attributes are 50 Magicka, 14 Health, so I could get a bit more there, and my Willpower set (neck and both rings) does not have Magicka (but instead health...cause I'm poor and the others are worth a lot!), so there would be some more there. Otherwise, I have Max Magicka on all my gear. Is there any other way to get the Magicka pool up (save for racials, is all else I can think of)?

I will say though, when it comes to the 4-man Vet dungeons, I haven't even come close to running out of Magicka.

Thanks for the input and thoughts.

** Edited for typos.
    Edited by crcraig on July 30, 2016 10:25PM
    Sorcerer, Breton
    Nightblade, Redguard
    Dragonknight, Imperial
    Templar, Argonian
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton Templar

38K magicka
    18K health
    1.5K magicka recovery
    1936 unbuffed spell damage
    52.1% crit

My magicka is a bit lower than expected because I'm forced to wear 7 light (SPC+Worm or SPC+Infal), which means I lose 4% max magicka and 6% max health compared to a 5/1/1 build, and the sets that I use don't have any set bonuses that grant health, so in order to maintain 18K health, I had to change a couple of gear enchantments to health.

Remember, when it comes to calculating the potency of your abilities, an additional 10 max magicka is the approximate equivalent of an additional 1 spell damage. If you're short 10K max magicka, that's a bit like losing 1K spell damage.
    Edited by code65536 on July 30, 2016 10:27PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Devve777
    Devve777
    ✭✭
    21k magicka is very low. Your heals are not going to hit hard like that. My guess is that you've overinvested into health. But as a sorcerer, you have access to a shield (actually, all magicka healers do through Light Armor).

Get your magicka up for the big heals.

ya that is extremely low. you dont need any stats in stamina and very minimal if any in health. 40k+ should be fairly easy magicka for you to reach
  • Devve777
    Devve777
    ✭✭
    crcraig wrote: »
    I was wrong, I just logged in and found my Magicka is actually around 23K. But that's going to still be low, I assume, especially compared to 41k (wow!).

How would one raise their Magicka pool that much? My attributes are 50 Magicka, 14 Health, so I could get a bit more there, and my Willpower set (neck and both rings) does not have Magicka (but instead health...cause I'm poor and the others are worth a lot!), so there would be some more there. Otherwise, I have Max Magicka on all my gear. Is there any other way to get the Magicka pool up (save for racials, is all else I can think of)?

I will say though, when it comes to the 4-man Vet dungeons, I haven't even come close to running out of Magicka.

Thanks for the input and thoughts.

** Edited for typos.

go all infused on gear with magicka enchants. max out undaunted for the passives and run 1medium, 1heavy, 5light.
    and slot innerLight(mage guild tree) on your bar.

also jewelry makes a huge difference.. 3piece willpower set with all arcane from sewers is BiS for most any healer build
  • crcraig
    crcraig
    Devve777 wrote: »
    go all infused on gear with magicka enchants. max out undaunted for the passives and run 1medium, 1heavy, 5light.
    and slot innerLight(mage guild tree) on your bar.

also jewelry makes a huge difference.. 3piece willpower set with all arcane from sewers is BiS for most any healer build

Ah, ok, the Infused stuff isn't something I had thought about. Thanks!
    Sorcerer, Breton
    Nightblade, Redguard
    Dragonknight, Imperial
    Templar, Argonian
  • Devve777
    Devve777
    ✭✭
    Also, they changed up champ points a little with DB patch and now you get alot of your primary stats from champ points spent. so if you are not maxed out on champ points yet, you will be lacking some from that.

i would say a good goal for you stats before having access to all the things mentioned would be:
    35k magicka
    18k hp
    screw stam, it doesnt matter ;p

undaunted is only granted xp from completing the undaunted pledges each day.
    champ points is just a grind, but luckily some of the best xp is grinding vamps in the sewers; which is the mobs that drop the trophies you buy the willpower set with. so if you wanted to knockout 2birds 1stone, find a dead campaign and go grind vamps. you will be suprised how fast your xp and trophies for willpower gear starts to roll in.
  • crcraig
    crcraig
    code65536 wrote: »
    Remember, when it comes to calculating the potency of your abilities, an additional 10 max magicka is the approximate equivalent of an additional 1 spell damage. If you're short 10K max magicka, that's a bit like losing 1K spell damage.

So is this true because it's a part of how the game is calculating stats, or it's more of a rough equivalent based on the larger pool of Magicka before you can't heal any longer? I'll try and say it another way, too, in case I'm being confusing -- is the larger pool of Magicka going to literally increase my Spell Damage on my skill sheet, or it's a theory-craft performance equivalent?
    Sorcerer, Breton
    Nightblade, Redguard
    Dragonknight, Imperial
    Templar, Argonian
  • crcraig
    crcraig
    undaunted is only granted xp from completing the undaunted pledges each day.
    champ points is just a grind, but luckily some of the best xp is grinding vamps in the sewers; which is the mobs that drop the trophies you buy the willpower set with. so if you wanted to knockout 2birds 1stone, find a dead campaign and go grind vamps. you will be suprised how fast your xp and trophies for willpower gear starts to roll in.

Perfect! Thanks for the advice.

Now, I wish I had invested so much into getting my gear built up with Divines on so many things! :s
    Sorcerer, Breton
    Nightblade, Redguard
    Dragonknight, Imperial
    Templar, Argonian
  • Devve777
    Devve777
    ✭✭

So is this true because it's a part of how the game is calculating stats, or it's more of a rough equivalent based on the larger pool of Magicka before you can't heal any longer? I'll try and say it another way, too, in case I'm being confusing -- is the larger pool of Magicka going to literally increase my Spell Damage on my skill sheet, or it's a theory-craft performance equivalent?

Max magicka wont make you spell power change on your stat sheet but it does affect your ability stats as he/she stated.

so take [rapid regeneration] for instance.
    if you look at the numbers on the ability tooltip. adding an additional 100 spell damage to your stats will adjust those numbers about equivelant to you adding 1k max magicka.

so if you have 35k magicka and 2k spell damage, you ability tooltips will roughly resemble the same numbers as if you have 40k magicka and 1500 spell damage. some abilities scale slightly better/worse to magicka or spell damage, aswell as the way buffs such a major/minor sorcery scale your stats so there is a few different philosophies on stat priority.

regardless of what side the fence you sit on with how you prioritize your stat, both are very important for any magicka build
    Edited by Devve777 on July 30, 2016 10:47PM
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Max magicka doesn't give you spell damage. It is equivalent to spell damage at roughly a 10-to-1 ratio when it comes to calculating the potency of your magicka-based abilities. Specifically, if you look at the ability tooltips for heals or damage that is based off of magicka, that tooltip number (e.g., "heals ally for 1234") will increase as your spell damage increases and as your max magicka increases. Someone with 20K magicka and 1K spell damage will have similar tooltip numbers as someone with 10K magicka and 2K spell damage.

(It's not exactly a 10-to-1 ratio, and some abilities favor spell damage more while some favor magicka more, but 10-to-1 is a good rule of thumb for almost all the abilities in the game.)

(The same applies to max stamina and weapon damage for abilities that cost stamina.)

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • crcraig
    crcraig
    Ok, I think I'm following you guys. Thanks for helping me understand it. I just checked my tool tip stuff, switching out gear and I'm seeing what you guys are talking about. It's pretty convincing and compelling for the importance of getting that Magicka pool up. I was initially thinking it was all about having more to spend so you don't run out, and I'm seeing that while that could be a perk, there is definitely something else far more valuable.

Thanks!
    Sorcerer, Breton
    Nightblade, Redguard
    Dragonknight, Imperial
    Templar, Argonian
  • Devve777
    Devve777
    ✭✭
    Glad i could be of some help! :smile:
    feel free to message me anytime you have a question
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How would one raise their Magicka pool that much?

As you mentioned, you can't afford the Arcane Willpower Jewelry. Well...you just have to find the money somehow :neutral:

Thankfully, they aren't nearly as expensive as the stamina-enchant Agility rings.

For a sorcerer, Bound armor + magelight will provide about 15% max magicka. Only issue is making space for both of them.

Also, make sure you run max magicka + health food. As a sorcerer, plenty of your abilities scale only off of max magicka, so it is a priority.

Also, get rid of all of those points in health, and instead slot your Daedric Summoning ward to protect yourself.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
  • crcraig
    crcraig
    Concerning boons, would the Ritual or the Mage be ideal? Or maybe a different one?
    Sorcerer, Breton
    Nightblade, Redguard
    Dragonknight, Imperial
    Templar, Argonian
  • Devve777
    Devve777
    ✭✭
    Concerning boons, would the Ritual or the Mage be ideal? Or maybe a different one?

for mundus stone you want the Atronach. that will alleviate other areas to get max stats and spell power.

its much easier to gain max stats than to gain regen. and healing power is trash. as a good endgame healer, you will be doing alot more than just healing so you want to scale everything not just yours healz. also, 90% of time, once you get your stats up, you are overhealing anyway.
    example: my rapid regen ticks for 5k+ non crit. and i rairly have to cast anything else unless some1 does something stupid or there is a specific mechanic i am countering.. my BoL has critted for 42k before, and the only reason it was allowed to get that high is because it was on a trial tank who stacked health. MOST ppl only run 20-30k hp, 90% are below 25k hp endgame. your heals will already feel huge without waisting enchants and munduss trying to buff them specificly rather than being well rounded
    Edited by Devve777 on July 30, 2016 11:33PM
  • crcraig
    crcraig
    Makes sense! Thanks again.

One last question (at least I think it's the last one) :)

On the Willpower set, it would be better to Enchant for Spell Power, correct?
    Sorcerer, Breton
    Nightblade, Redguard
    Dragonknight, Imperial
    Templar, Argonian
  • Acsvf
    Acsvf
    ✭✭✭

Take your magicka. Divide it by 10, add it to your spell damage. This is your magicka power.
    MaxMagicka/10 + SpellDamage = MagickaPower
    Every ability has a multiplier on your magicka power. Let's say that an ability has the multiplier of 5, your maximum magicka is 20k, and your spell damage is 1k. 20000/10 + 1000 = 3000. 3000 times the multiplier, 5, is 15000. This ability will deal 15000 damage, 10000 coming from your magicka and 5000 coming from your spell damage.

The above isn't technically correct from a theorycrafting perspective, but it'll do for general situations and isn't as complicated. Just keep in mind that maximum magicka is roughly half of your damage with the other half being spell damage.

The actual formula takes into account base damage, and seperate coefficients for magicka and spell power, but isn't necessary for most abilities.

Depends on what you find lacking.
    Edited by Acsvf on July 31, 2016 2:20AM
    @LightArray
    Lightarray Level 50 Dunmer Magicka Templar Healer

CP: 192

Add @Acsvf when quoting me to give me a notification!
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skander wrote: »
    Want to be a healer? Get a templar

Someone failed to read the whole post...
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You want the thief mundas. Best one for healers and DPS by a lot. Use infused only on large armor and divines on the rest.

When I healed on my sorc, I wore julinanos and Magnus. 5/3 and willpower. I didn't use the pet, I just had healing ward as my oh crap button. Though if you want to use the pet, you need to stack magic more.

This set up left me with something like 40k mana and 2.5k spell damage. With around 1k regen and 65% crit.

I really think regen is overrated, if you are doing 4 man content, at least. It is the least important stat, as you ought to be using pots and heavy attacking as needed.
  • zerosingularity
    zerosingularity
    ✭✭✭✭
    My suggestion is 3 willpower (healthy) 5 Kagrenac's Hope, rest Magnus(destro/resto).

This is a very cheap build for a healer. Use 1x cost reduction enchant, and as many Magicka regen enchants as needed to hit 1800 Magicka regen (with wrothgar food on for hp/mag recovery) probably gonna be no more than 1. The rest spell power enchants.

All stat points and enchants into max magicka, and thief mundus stone (more crits=more crit heals). Never use infused on small pieces (shoes, gloves, shoulders, belts), those should be divines.

Slot inner light on main heal bar (or both) and slot bound aegis on both bars only if you have the skill space. That's all I can suggest, like everything stated so far, give it some thought and whatever you decide, I hope it works out for you!

Also, weapons HAVE to be gold, way too much increased spellpower to not gold it.
    NA-PC

Kaineth - Stamina Nightblade (Weakest Player Ever!)
    Elena Stormwood - Magicka Sorcerer (vMA no Death 12/21/15 Score 401148)
    Sheila Feyrondas - Magicka Dragonknight Tank (Frost staves are gonna be fun!)

*Disclaimer* I fail at emotional communication, so assume what I say is NOT meant to be offensive.
  • Devve777
    Devve777
    ✭✭

yea, i enchant 3/3 spell power.
    you want spell power enchant on your wep aswell. if you decide to dw/Resto, do power on resto and 1wep for dw bar. other wep doesnt really matter, whatever you prefer. i will note though, which you might already know but many people dont, your dual wield enchants will not proc without actually making contact with a target. so if you are standing in the back just swinging your swords into the wind, you are not going to get a proc. also, be sure to dual wield swords, not daggers. alot of people have this idiotic thought that they have some invisible passive crit bonus from daggers but i assure you it doesnt exist. it is only wep crit. swords will give bonus to all your damage abilities and some heals

as mentioned above, thief mundus is not a bad way to go. after testing many builds, my setup with atronach feels a little more mid/maxd but to each their own.

also if you do decide to go with divines on some gear, which is not a bad thing just not what i prefer, know that after 2 pieces of divines gear you recieve a diminishing return from it. this means thats you do not recieve the full benefit that it states on the tooltip. divines is knda pointless unless you do roll a crit build with thief though
    Edited by Devve777 on August 1, 2016 3:25AM
  • crcraig
    crcraig
    also if you do decide to go with divines on some gear, which is not a bad thing just not what i prefer, know that after 2 pieces of divines gear you recieve a diminishing return from it. this means thats you do not recieve the full benefit that it states on the tooltip.

So...that's super helpful to know. What a sad fact. I've had wasted traits on my gear for a long time, then. :(
    Sorcerer, Breton
    Nightblade, Redguard
    Dragonknight, Imperial
    Templar, Argonian
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    also if you do decide to go with divines on some gear, which is not a bad thing just not what i prefer, know that after 2 pieces of divines gear you recieve a diminishing return from it. this means thats you do not recieve the full benefit that it states on the tooltip. divines is knda pointless unless you do roll a crit build with thief though

Source? The last time I measured (admittedly with crit stones), 7 divines was giving the stated value (7.5% each= 52.5% effect bonus).
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    also if you do decide to go with divines on some gear, which is not a bad thing just not what i prefer, know that after 2 pieces of divines gear you recieve a diminishing return from it. this means thats you do not recieve the full benefit that it states on the tooltip.

So...that's super helpful to know. What a sad fact. I've had wasted traits on my gear for a long time, then. :(

No, that's not super-helpful to know because that information is incorrect.

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • ryanborror
    ryanborror
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah go all divines or infused on head and chest and divines everywhere else. Also I think your low stats could be race related, are you using food?
    dooderrr
    templars, nightblades
    PC/XB1 NA
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    41000 magicka
    2500 spell damage
    1900 regen
    42 spellcrit
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Max magicka doesn't give you spell damage. It is equivalent to spell damage at roughly a 10-to-1 ratio when it comes to calculating the potency of your magicka-based abilities. Specifically, if you look at the ability tooltips for heals or damage that is based off of magicka, that tooltip number (e.g., "heals ally for 1234") will increase as your spell damage increases and as your max magicka increases. Someone with 20K magicka and 1K spell damage will have similar tooltip numbers as someone with 10K magicka and 2K spell damage.

(It's not exactly a 10-to-1 ratio, and some abilities favor spell damage more while some favor magicka more, but 10-to-1 is a good rule of thumb for almost all the abilities in the game.)

(The same applies to max stamina and weapon damage for abilities that cost stamina.)

I hope someone posts the formula, we used to have it on the forums at one time. Its not 10-1, but its close.
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin