The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Macroing: Acceptable or not?

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cronopoly wrote: »
    I think the most accepted "Macro" that has to be in play by ALL competitive PVPer's is CC break. Bam! ,hit one button and on with your CC immunity for 8 seconds. I suck at cc in the middle of battle admittedly and don't have a programmable keyboard so get stuck all the time in CC far too long lol.

You don't need a "maco" for that, I went to settings and reset the middle mouse button as my "cc break".

Doesn't work well, but then neither does banging on both L & R mouse keys (the default way)
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Vanzen
    Vanzen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only macro that works is the animation cancel one.

You can put a light attack before any of your abilities ... (or a bash attack after or both)

Anything "longer" will mess your rotations.

Is it legit ?

Am not sure.
  • Tonnopesce
    Tonnopesce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cazic wrote: »
    Tonnopesce wrote: »
    Tons of heavy armored s&b dk's use macros for " light attack => puncture => bash => reverberating bash => block " tipe of combo and is funny how all this people pass the anti cheat without issues even if is a 1 second combo.

Yeah.. this is the kind of thing I'm suspicious of. There are so many little combos in the game that you could easily setup in a one-key macro. I'm sure there are players out there doing it.

i can even tell you the names of who does it in the EU megaserver but hey, at least they dont fly mid air....
    Signature

• SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting question. I'd like to ask the no-sayers that they don't feel that the use of mouses with more than 3 buttons, or the allowance of configurable keyboard-buttons would be exploiting? Come on guys, those keyboards and mouses exist for the goal to help your game. And no, I'm not using macros, while I have a gaming keyboard and mouse.
  • andreasranasen
    andreasranasen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I came across a video by some whiny annoying dude on YouTube using something called "MicroSlice" or something like that? Same thing? I'm happy I'm on console and never have to deal with cheaters like PC people.. I feel for you though! I'm all about fair gameplay.
    Edited by andreasranasen on July 30, 2016 8:38AM
    #VMATOKENSYSTEM #WEAPONDYE #TRAITCHANGE #CROWNCRATELOVER
    • Alliance/Platform: Aldemerii - PS4/NA - CP 800+
    • Mag Sorc: Arya Rosendahl - Altmer - Highelf
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there people using macros in PvP? Certainly.
    Should those be banned? Of course.
    But is it a huge issue? No, because a macro won't do it better than someone who has trained AC for a while.
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% super easy to macro the following with ANY and I mean ANY Logitech or razer product:

Shield stack
    Crushing shock weave
    Bash/swap/block cancel

Don't forget these programs have the ability to work on press, toggle, or hold. If you have say your shield on back bar you can have number 10 be swap shield stack and number 11 be shield stack.

Soon as you need to cast annulment, healing ward then you class shields, hold one of those buttons.

Boom instant shield stacking while holding heavy Attack to weave

These and any macro are 100% against every single mmo terms of service by the way, unless you are ADA.

Oh and GCD is trivial to work around, time the micro pauses on a elephant in wrothgar.

Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Sylveria_Relden
    Sylveria_Relden
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people see macros as an "aid" to gameplay.

Personally I find them to be a "crutch". If you have to use macros to begin with, IMO you're too lazy to actually want to increase your skill by practice. Sure, it's difficult to play without them- but that's why there's a difficulty scale to begin with.

Want "easy mode"? Watch a movie. You'll save more time and money that way.
    TL;DR - If you got this far without reading the entire post you're either too lazy or suck at reading comprehension and probably don't belong in a public forum anyway. Just move along, you wouldn't understand.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    People use macros all of the time, the same people have been doing so for ages, and nothing will change.

Pretty useless answers.. That idiots/cheaters have been doing it for long, will never make it okay.. Macros are not allowed

read post #18. what do you think a "gaming keyboard" or a "gaming mouse" really is?
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm laughing because I remember when people used to vehemently deny the existence of macros functioning in ESO in a way that would place the advantage in the hands of the user.
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »
    I don't care how well you set up a macro, you can't do anything faster than the animation system allows. Even with animation canceling, you can not fit a large amount of abilities into a small time frame. You can use a basic weapon attack, an ability, a roll dodge, a bash and an ultimate all into one "animation window". No macro can overcome that without some sort of cheat program. Macroing is pointless and detrimental (it doesn't work well, especially with any lag) to your game play. If you think someone is pulling off four of a single ability (Surprise Attack) within one second, it has nothing to do with macros. They're hacking.
    Valrien wrote: »
    Macros are fine, use them or don't...I really don't care.

Thank you both. It's amazing to me how much misinformation there is about macros. Just the other day, a friend told me he could bypass the Global Cooldown and cast 5 spells in 1 second flat. Sure enough, he could only cast 2 spells and a weapon swap in the space of 2 Global Cooldowns. The other 3 spells never went off.

1) Using Macros will not make you a better. It will not get you more kills, or higher DPS. You hinder your progress and growth as a player.

2) You cannot cast 2 Abilities in the space of 1 GCD (without CE).

3) Most players, famous or otherwise, have no need for macros. Timing achieves the same thing with none of the handicaps. And timing in ESO is easy compared to other games out there.

"Nice macro, bruh." If you really want to make yourself look silly, send the guy that kills you a rage tell about his/her macros. :D
  • incite
    incite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tonnopesce wrote: »
    Tons of heavy armored s&b dk's use macros for " light attack => puncture => bash => reverberating bash => block " tipe of combo and is funny how all this people pass the anti cheat without issues even if is a 1 second combo.

Yeah.. this is the kind of thing I'm suspicious of. There are so many little combos in the game that you could easily setup in a one-key macro. I'm sure there are players out there doing it.

Example: ive seen a stam dk few weeks ago in safezone IC, spamming that combo for over 3 hours , obv he was afk and didnt want to get kicked out of campaign after logging off, i recorded it for like 10-15 min and send to ZOS but hes still alive and kicking, it was a f o c k i n g joke to watch , (im not exagerating when i say 3h)
    PC EU

no1 knows me, no1 cares about me but sshh, don't tell

• ZoM_Head
    ZoM_Head
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, by having the software actually do the correct sequence of skills/rotation for you, when in many situation it comes down to player skills, no...never supported it in any game, and will not start here.
    mDKs still need a lot of love!
  • Bislobo
    Bislobo
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how people use macros with all the lag... With a ping of 500+ your character will probably look like a mad man. I once saw a nightblade trying to light atack > surprise atack > block me. He did absolutely no damage and i wrecked him in seconds xD... It was a good laugh tho...
    Redguard Dragonknight - Bislobo
    Orc Nightblade - Bislobø
    Redguard Sorcerer - Bisłobo
    Imperial Templar - Bíslobo
    Altmer Sorcerer - Bisløbo
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The best, and only, macro I have ever used was as a rogue in WoW :smile: Smokebomb to logout, so I disappeared in a puff of smoke
  • RajinPVP
    RajinPVP
    ✭✭✭
    Macros wont work on this laggy servers it had to be smooth and lag free to execute macros... I dont know where people getting that macroing basically make any ability instant and no delay? Im pretty sure most of the skills have some sort of delay before you actually use the next skill and macros wont bypass that. How hard is it to do a light attack to an ability then block? If you need macro for that then i dont know anymore...
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People use macros all of the time, the same people have been doing so for ages, and nothing will change.

Because there is no definite way to tell.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a gaming mouse specific for the use of Macros in ESO. Whilst I got it to work, my latency with the server makes it not viable plus in the end I realized I prefer be in full control of my character even if it is slower, I guess I'm clumsy with this macro sorcery. Legit or not, there is no stopping it, after all its technically a hardware piece. The same could be argued for uses with multiple monitors or a monster PC or connection that can handle ESO no lag or fps loss. So in this instance macroing shouldn't be blame but the in game system that allows macros to be made.
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cously wrote: »
    I bought a gaming mouse specific for the use of Macros in ESO. Whilst I got it to work, my latency with the server makes it not viable plus in the end I realized I prefer be in full control of my character even if it is slower, I guess I'm clumsy with this macro sorcery. Legit or not, there is no stopping it, after all its technically a hardware piece. The same could be argued for uses with multiple monitors or a monster PC or connection that can handle ESO no lag or fps loss. So in this instance macroing shouldn't be blame but the in game system that allows macros to be made.

gWaKXZ1X8rHOM.gif
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Runs wrote: »
    At this point you have now turned the discussion into "How do I get away with cheating"

Stewie Griffin...

"Can you imagine if two dudes did that, that would be even worse. Would that even exist? I mean how would you even find it?

Let's type it in and see what comes up."
  • Kas
    Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runs wrote: »
    Yeah, this is exactly what I'm getting at. Most people will say that using macros is exploiting or cheating or a bannable offense. But, how would zos go about actually detecting the use of macros?

At this point you have now turned the discussion into "How do I get away with cheating"
    ZOS_MollyH wrote: »
    Hi @Casdha !

The use of gaming keyboards and mice are not prohibited, but the use of third-party software or other means of creating macros to automate in-game functions is a violation. I apologize for the confusion!

Just to clarify further, part of the Terms of Service document includes an agreement to follow other Supplemental Terms pertaining to Your Service and/or Game, such as a Code of Conduct, provide guidance on behavior that ZeniMax deems to be inappropriate and specify restrictions on Your Account, Your use of the Game, or Your participation in the Services.

There is a paragraph in the Terms of Service agreement that is as follows:

You agree not to use any hardware or software or any other method of support that is not authorized by ZeniMax or that may in any way influence or advantage Your playing abilities, or influence or advantage Your use of the Services. Third party tools, the use of ‘bots’, “speed hacks”, “deep-link”, “page-scrape”, “robot”, “spider”, algorithm or other programs that copy or monitor any part of the Services (including, but not limited to, the Game(s) and/or forums), software that transmits, manipulates, or distributes (including, but are limited to, “mirroring”) the data stream or any aspect of the Services to another computer, server websites or other publication or distribution media, or software that permits You to use Services without human input are examples of methods not authorized by ZeniMax

Whether it provides an advantage or not, utilizing macros do fall under this category and are prohibited. Please be sure to let us know if you still have any further questions or concerns!

-Edit to add link to comment

tbh several popular add-ons are illegal according to this, including master merchant and esohead. Yet, they don't do so by exploiting bugs and working around game mechanics, they just use the tools provided by ZOS' add-on APi in teh intended way!
    Further there are many add-ons that perform multiple actions on a single button press - according to ToS, I#d say that's forbidden. But why can add-ons perform actions, then?

I really hate the fact that many, many players use macros to gain an advantage (or at least mitigate a disadvantage, because some of them cannot play properly manually). however, if we want such rules to be enforced more strictly, at least the add-on API should reflect the stance of the ToS.
    @bbu - AD/EU
    Kasiia - Templar (AR46)
    Kasiir Aberion - Sorc (AR38)
    Dr Kastafari - Warden (~AR31)
    + many others
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course it is cheating. People that use macros have an unfair advantage over other players.

The real problem is: it is not easily detectable.
    Macroing is done within the limits of the game, so the game itself cannot recognize it as something "out of the ordinary".
    Unlike using CE to completely bypass the rules set by the game, which is, IMO, a far worse form of cheating.
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it depends on for what you are using macros - if it is to emote more quickly or combine emotes into one in order to enhance your role play with it, I consider this not a cheat, but it makes your character more "alive". But when it is used in competitive game play or to gain an advantage over other players, it is definitely not acceptable.
    Edited by Lysette on August 1, 2016 11:16AM
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acceptable and cheating are both subjective to the rules and standards of whatever you are bringing into question. Each perspective on for or against are simply opinions. While I am not sure if using macros violates the ToS of the game, I personally believe they are one step away from botting, and should be seen with the same level of respect as using auto-aim in a shooter, or training wheels on a bike. Why even play if you are going to watch the game win for you? Some kind of fake online reputation and praise from fellow gamers based on a lie? Congratulations, your Charizard has beaten their Blastoids. Aren't you so proud that you created the perfect stats and watched the game do all the work? You get the point... To each their own, and some of us take pride in our real achievements. If others enjoy a false sense of superiority, then let them have it. While it is easy to setup a macro detection script simply by registering that multiple attacks have been used with the exact same split second timing, for some reason it feels like the MMO genre is very accepting of stat manipulation as a whole. Hell, tracking your DPS to find the most powerful build could also be seen as exploiting from one point of view, but that's a whole different topic in itself.
    Edited by Bryanonymous on August 1, 2016 11:21AM
  • karldavy149b16_ESO
    karldavy149b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Is using macros for combos / skill rotations acceptsble or considered cheating?

I would assume it's considered cheating because it is technically using a third party program to enhance your game play. But in most cases that third party program is included with your mouse or keyboard and is already running in the background and serving other purposes. So how could it be identified as bring used in an unfsir way?

I guess I'm wondering how many people out here currently use macros to gain an advantage in PvP. Or if no one does because it is detectable and consodeed an offense.

had my account banned for using razor synapse ... so yeah bad news
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Macros are against the TOS, yep. Even addons such as LazyWrit/Multicraft are technically in breach of the TOS though it seems everyone uses them anyway.

In this game I firmly believe macros really don't help all that much, especially in PvE, because fights are just too mobile. Unlike in WoW where people use rotation bots to get 100% perfection on their rotation I don't think that's viable here.

Do people use macros? Sure. Is it an advantage? Maybe, but only in certain situations.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never understood how people can take pride in achievements which were achieved by cheating.
    Edited by Lysette on August 1, 2016 11:33AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lohworm wrote: »
    I think :
    macro for "type / d a n c e d u n m e r " => ok
    macro for "type 1 left click type 2 left click type 1 left click type R" => not OK

While I agree, ZOS does not.

Don't do either.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    People believe that the game should be a certain way and they therefore make moral judgments regarding their actions about how the game should be and not how it really is. People using add-ons to craft potions is a good example of this thought process in action. People literally think "we shouldn't have to press the craft button over and over, this is stupid to do in the year 2016, I'm going to use a macro and not have guilt."
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • DeadDealer
    DeadDealer
    ✭✭✭
    A macro is something that aids you unfairly compared to normal gameplay so yes this would be classified as one of those no-nos, especially since multiboxing isn't allowed.
    incite wrote: »
    My opinion? Ban em all

Fully agree. But... Is it actually detectable and if so, is action taken against people who do it?

I don't want to use macros and don't support it. But sometimes in game people get combos off so damn quickly that it seems as though they are using macros.

noone will told you this

ZOS will never told anything about ban, its against their policies

players who using macroses and avoid bans will never told you also
    pointless and dangerous topic sry, i need report it
    we have a place where to discuss such things - in sticky topic
This discussion has been closed.