Weapon Dyes - Why Not?

• AtAfternoon
    AtAfternoon
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see weapon dyes. It could simply boil down to being something people aren't vocal enough about so they don't see much to gain on spending resources making it when the time and manpower could be used on other projects.
    Options
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    BigBragg wrote: »
    Next ESO+ perk?

Nah. Would been a base game thing for everyone. Everyone can and will dye armour and weapons. Not everyone bothers wearing a costume
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
    Options
  • Ryuho
    Ryuho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Omg yes, can't wait to slash my opponents with rainbow swords!!!
    The Farron family team (EU)
    sorcerer - Rubeus Farron AR31
    templar - Selene Farron AR27
    nightblade - Ryuho Farron AR25
    stamplar - Nura Farron AR10
    stamsorcerer - Kitty Farron AR14 (adopted member)
    DK - Ryu Farron AR17

RETIRED

CU - next mmo
    Options
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I understand their issue with pink weapons and the like but they made the top end weapons a hooker lipstick red which is just as bad, if not worse then the fruity colors the ZOS team doesn't want.

All they would need to do is allow weapons to only be dyed a select set of proper colors...at least for the blade.

I was so disappointed to get Sai Sahans sword which I assumed was free of the horrid rubedite, only to see the beautiful blade stained with a bright red *** sucking color.
    Edited by waterfairy on June 27, 2016 1:33PM
    Options
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They could just give a more simple dye system for weapons, using the existing ore color set. They once said they didn't want ridiculous weapon colors, so just let us choose from what's already available. I want my sword to not be bright red, I miss my master 2H that looked like a normal steel sword (or whatever).
    Edited by OdinForge on June 27, 2016 1:37PM
    The Age of Wrobel.
    Options
  • jrgray93
    jrgray93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We already have a few players making their entire armor set bright pink and purple. We already lost the "realism" when dyes were first introduced. That said, they were a great addition to the game and most players make armor look decent. Not allowing weapon dying is pointless, especially when they force us to use something that is an obnoxious red.

There is a reason I exclusively use the glass motif on weapons.
    EP: Slania Isara : Harambe Was an Inside Job
    Options
  • Sentinel
    Sentinel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Screenshot_20160627_105746.png
    Don't want pink weapons? It might be night in that picture, but we already have pink weapons, and they don't look any better when day rolls around.

Weapon dyes would give us the option to make better looking weapons more often that shoddy ones. You can already see how people use armor dyes; people likely won't dye their weapons any worse.
    Options
  • Aemon_Isklexi
    Aemon_Isklexi
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see a reason to disallow weapon dyes. We already have people running around in neon colored armor. The Ebony Blade will look ridiculous wielded by a person in bright fuchsia armor regardless of whether it's been dyed to a matching color or not. I'm sure most people would just dye their swords to a hue of silver (or maybe black). I can't speak for everyone, but I know that I don't care for the bright red rubedite weapons clashing with the color pallete on most of my characters.
    "I do not carry such information in my mind since it is readily available in books. ...The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think." ~Albert Einstein
    Options
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Theres really no reason not to have it.
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
    Options
  • Van_0S
    Van_0S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, why not! OP!
    Next, skill lightning effects dye! (like RD in red, green, purple,etc color)
    Options
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ryuho wrote: »

This would happen about as often as you see people in rainbow colored armor... so hardly ever.
    Edited by khele23eb17_ESO on June 27, 2016 4:18PM
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
    Options
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... a person who I'll let name themselves if they so choose tipped me off to the variety of colors steel changes to during the heating process.

forging-and-tempering-colors.jpg
    Tempering_standards_used_in_blacksmithing.JPG
    Most combat ready steel is the blue-grey tint you see at 730 degrees.
    This does not cover the full spectrum of colors, but then we have Tamriel steel... Orichalcum, Elven and Ebony are all described as types of steel, utilizing extra ingredients to achieve new properties (and color) just like glass.
    Refined Moonstone Ingot
    latest?cb=20120410064445
    Ebony Ingot
    latest?cb=20120513025119
    Quicksilver Ingot
    latest?cb=20120410064449
    Orichalcum Ingot
    latest?cb=20120513025352
    ESO has added materials above Ebony of even more colors:
    Calcinium-Ingot.pnglatest?cb=2015012021121820145291555125422.jpgrubedite_ingot.png

Given each metal can attain a different hue based on forging and tempering processes, it can be argued the full color spectrum is achievable.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
    Options
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ^ Lol @ the great lengths to try and justify purple and red blades in ESO. We don't see blades that color in the real world for a reason...which correct me if I'm wrong is because tempering too high will make it more brittle.

Regardless of real world vs. fantasy, the rubedite red color looks horrible.
    Edited by waterfairy on June 27, 2016 11:19PM
    Options
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vigarr wrote: »
    We don't see blades that color in the real world for a reason...which correct me if I'm wrong is because tempering too high will make it more brittle.

Forging arms and armor requires heating the steel to make it malleable. Once shaped it is quenched - the rapid cooling causes the molecules to become set, hardening the steel. However it is very brittle in this state. The equipment is then heated again, to increase flexibility and give combat ready steel that characteristic springy-ness. It is during this second heating phase that steel goes through these various shades and blue is the ideal shade to stop on. Finally, the steel is quenched a second time, cooling the metal and setting it's hardness without becoming brittle.

But real world steel colors can only go so far. That's where the fantasy materials only present in Tamriel come into play. We have purple, red, pink, yellow, gold and green metals to work with in Tamriel. Brown can be seen in Dwemer works, as they appear to be made of brass.

Remember by proving metal comes in a rainbow of colors, we debunk the argument against Weapon Dyes regarding immersion breaking coloring.
    Edited by Ffastyl on June 28, 2016 12:53AM
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
    Options
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe...okay so enamel might not be something you'd want to apply to a sword blade, but it was a thought.

Another option would be to let us use the lower-level gear designs at higher levels. Just make the stats CP 160 or whatever.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
    Options
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should allow metal blending to other ores or add new end game ores like an alternate for rubedite and if they're not contended then add it in eso plus like costumes dyes, pretty sure a lot would sub for weapon dyes because rubedite is awful af.

P.S. Had to dye at least one part of my armor red or go white to black color range scheme just to blend in.
    Ryuho wrote: »

This why they don't allow weapon dyes because of ppl doing that stuff no offense there, it just introduces swag in middle age fantasy and removes realism completely.
    Edited by Perwulf on September 8, 2016 10:01PM
    "Monsters doesn't exist, we create them"
    Options
  • fastolfv_ESO
    fastolfv_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you have ever played any other mmos b4 you will know theres a horde of children out there going for the i ate a box of crayons then puked on my armor and weapons dye scheme. If its to prevent people from having to look at that stuff on a regular basis im all for it. Right now you might see a fool in lime green and yellow here and there but all in all its not a huge joke
    Options
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lets debunk some of the negatives people always fall back on right now.

1- people will make pink weapons!

that same argument was thrown around when armor dyeing was talked about and you very rarely see people in any kind of obnoxious armor, turns out most people don't like looking stupid and wearing all pink armor. . .

2- they should devote that to bug fixing!

different teams yo, seriously learn development, you don't want your art team fixing bugs I assure you.

3- its complex and things!

all weapons in the game already have the same color system armor does, that's why they change color based on material tier and / or quality. the have a main color (red on rubidite) a trim color (silver or gold depending on rarity) and a tertiary color (usually the wood or cloth that makes up the handle or staff.

all they would need to do is give us access to the slots so we can apply our own colors just like on armor, and I'm pretty sure most of the colors are already compatible with weapons. (some dyes are in fact the same as various levels of armor like voidstone and rubidite)

I have no doubt this will in fact come, as this is really the last big cosmetic hurtle this game has to overcome.
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
    Options
  • heyjrey
    heyjrey
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's why they should limit the types of colors to be used on weapons. I'm tired of my Templar running around with an all red infallible aether staff because it looks terrible—just the rubedite/ruby ash items in general. Why do they have to be red?! It's to annoying. Even the armor dyes don't help the fact that the rubedite clothing will always have that redish-brown tint in it. It's so annoying :(
    EP Home Faction CP: 800+
    Vivec/Trueflame/Kaalgrontiid: Home Campaign
    Delia Moreau - Khajiit | Stamblade | PvE
    Sloppy Thirds* - Bosmer | Stamblade | PvP
    Tazia Mouse-Chaser - Khajiit | Stamblade | PvE
    Waterfalls - Altmer | Magsorc | PvP
    Datwun Puffs Tuff - Argonian | Magplar | PvP Healer
    Rotting Thot - Altmer | Magnecro | PvE Healer
    Count ßlockula - Argonian | StamDK | PvE Tank
    Jim Geezus Beam - Argonian | Magplar | PvE Healer

Red Nirn Reserve, Diswun's Wares, Welkynd, SOB (rip)

Options
  • Ayantir
    Ayantir
    ✭✭✭✭
    pink_sword.jpg

This reason.

pinkaxe.jpg

Or this one.
    Edited by Ayantir on September 8, 2016 11:36PM
    Obsessive Compulsive Elder Scrolls addons Coder
    A Few millions downloads of ESO addons now.
    Master crafter on my main char since release. All tradeskills, recipes \o/, researchs (since long), 35 styles known
    My little french Guild: Cercle de l'Eveil
    Options
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This concern about having immersion breaking weapons is ridiculous. If they really cared about immersion this much we wouldnt have bulky men running around Cyrodiil fighting in dresses.Besides, people wanna dye weapons to make them look realistic.
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
    Options
  • Kammakazi
    Kammakazi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because nobody wants this:
    maxresdefault.jpg
    qcv6ndizr4gxssrq24par2w4rxbtwg2f_hq.jpg
    greatsword2_0.jpg
    6ba7c29d3c91ed55bb4268dded515726.jpg
    bow18.jpg
    eO9jJpk.jpg
    bow6.jpg
    vindictus__fiona_pheonix_wings_armageddon_weapons_by_lyceum-d9jr5wu.jpg
    greatsword5.jpg
    6615259653_36f539b399_b.jpg
    B5jFege.jpg
    pc4a26qnkw5cwr35tla77urluoqmcnmq_hq.jpg
    d3ei7s5nsjfv5ztmibqyiu5c2y6vpmhk_hq.jpg

.... just kidding yes we do want it.
    Options
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wrong mmo then
    Options
  • sentientomega
    sentientomega
    ✭✭✭
    With my Imperial heavy armour, dyed ebony with red for the fabric-looking parts in keeping with the char creation DK style, sure, rubedite weapons actually match.

With Altmer heavy armour dyed ebony/steel for the DK theme, red weapons really contrast in a disturbing way.

Same with, say, Breton heavy armour with templar-themed colours (silver/grey, gold), it stands out, and not in a good way imo.

That I cannot make my top-tier Argonian staff match my dark-blue outfit of the same motif, does disturb me more than a little.

Being able to dye our weapons to match our outfits or "fit" them isn't going to kill anybody, and I'm hoping that ZOS is thinking seriously about this, with an eye towards implementing it, especially as we can already dye costumes, and outfits, especially metal ones.

Nobody should be forced to dye outfits to try and match weapons whose colours they've no control over, bad for quality of ingame life that.

And very few people would dye their outfits/weapons in the psychedelic styles as seen in a previous post, but if they want to, so what? They can already do so with their outfits...
    Edited by sentientomega on September 10, 2016 11:32PM
    Options
  • KICHZY
    KICHZY
    ✭✭✭✭
    The last thing I want is to see is players running about with bright multi colored weapons. Some people's armor is bad enough. I understand I'll be outnumbered here but it's just the way I feel about the topic...No hard feelings. I just really like the existing color palette that gets used for when making weapons, armor and fashion, It seems natural and fits with the world we play in.

A fully neon colored knight with duel wielding pink swords just doesn't appeal to me lol

Edited by KICHZY on September 10, 2016 11:48PM
    Options
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of allowing weapon dye, they could change how the base damage of weapons (or whatever is called) is calculated instead of creating more and more materiais.

I'd love to make all my weapons of Ebony. I really like the black style. But, because of level range...
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
    Options
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If dying my weapons purple brings me joy, so what? That doesn't impact anyone else's gameplay. I would argue it's actually better for the easily offended because then my red weapons would no longer clash with my dyed armor colors.

Regardless of anyone's personal color preferences, it sounds like most people just want their weapons not to clash with their armor, whether they prefer a blander palette or a more colorful one. You don't see a lot of people running around with random rainbow colored armor now just because they can; I don't think all of a sudden everyone will go crazy with the weapon colors just because they can.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
    Options
  • sentientomega
    sentientomega
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of allowing weapon dye, they could change how the base damage of weapons (or whatever is called) is calculated instead of creating more and more materiais.

I'd love to make all my weapons of Ebony. I really like the black style. But, because of level range...

Frankly, I wish Ebony was the last tier, just as it used to be. But with weapon dyes, we'd be able to dye things ebony metal and yew, or anything we wanted, especially to match our outfits, particularly the metallic ones.
    Options
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "we don't want to see pink weapons"

*proceeds to make EVERY end game weapon lipstick red*

Good one, ZOS, good one indeed ...
    Edited by Carbonised on September 11, 2016 5:54PM
    Options